Sephora

• Fair pay for job
  • Trust in colleagues

Fun workplace

Featured review

Sephora selected this as a representative review
I feel welcome here and everyone are friendly. The management always help you growth and coaching you to be better. Sephora is my dream job since I was in high school. I come here not just finding a regular job, but to build my career here.

Pros

Gratis, Free Lunch when it your birthday, Discounts, Flexible Hours

Cons

Sometime have to deals with difficult clients, shoplifting.

The most fun I have ever had, but very fast-paced and can be stressful

Working at Sephora is hands down the funnest job I have ever had. I loved my team, I loved the trainings we had on different products and brands. Truly felt like a kid in a candy store. However, it is very very very busy. There is so much they expect from you while the line up can be through the door, and you barely have time to scratch your head. Not paid nearly enough for all the services we offer!

Pros

Free products, makeup certification, great team

Cons

bad salary, no benefits for part-time, extremely busy

Fun working in a diverse environment

Sephora is very supportive with work life balance, enhancing skills, education, and staff diverse culture. We also got gifts and prizes to test out to help out sales skills. However during the holidays is can be a lot of work because besides selling we had to watch for potential individuals who tried to steal from the store and get management and police involved while the sales floor is full of customers. Overall great place just pay sucks

Pros

Work life balance 100% enforced

Cons

Salary

Fun place to work, but depends on the location. Gratis is great as well.

Starting off in Sephora you go through onboarding. I started off in makeup and worked at my first location for about 2 1/2 years. Loved the people I worked with, got along well with management! You really have to push management to learn new things. I continuously asked to be cash trained and they will do it. They just need to be reminded. The hardest part is when you don't get along with management and you have to deal with them. As well as horrible customers, but that's in any retail job. gratis was okay as well, but you have to work a lot to get the good stuff. At my second location, it was a little more difficult to get proper 8-9 hour shifts. I kept getting five-hour shifts every day and working full weekends. Which was hard for me with the full-time school. I'd much rather liked having 2-3 9 hours shifts per week but that was not possible for them. You have to really be on the management's good side to even be noticed.

Pros

great co-workers, free brand training, gratis, lunch room snacks

Cons

short shifts, need to work a lot to get acknowledged, difficulty moving up (getting certified in anything), need to raise salaries

Wonderful management and work culture, bad hourly pay

The managers I had were absolutely wonderful. Very supportive and humble. They were there to help. It seemed very difficult to move up though on a retail store level since they expect you to go above and beyond in an environment where the formula for success has already been perfected for you. Hourly pay was terrible but employee discount of 30% is hard to beat. Great work culture (lots of snacks :))

depends on the location

I’ve worked at a couple Sephora stores and had varying experiences. My first location was in Ottawa and was amazing from management to coworkers to customers. However, I’ve transferred to two other stores and hated working my position. It just depends on management (mostly), never had a bad experience with other coworkers. There’s always room for advancement and training, they do yearly reviews with you and you can earn a slight raise, you get discounts, and receive gratis to expand your knowledge on products. Overall it’s a pretty good place to work it’s just a hit or miss for me when it comes to store location.

Pros

can always advance to other positions, training opportunities are amazing

Cons

hit or miss depending on store location, work/life balance is a value of theirs but it doesn’t always feel like it

Don’t waste your time at this company

Terrible pay! You’re lucky if you can even get 15 hours a week. I was constantly asked to not come in for on call shifts and told to go home early. I barely made a living there. Management did not care. Gratis was pretty bad too. They make you go the extra mile for bad pay.Don’t waste your time working at this place.

Pros

Free food from brands, some ok gratis

Cons

Short shifts, bad pay, terrible wage, payroll to give out, disorganized management

It was OK

Gratis was a great bonus but the discount was kinda meagre. Very difficult clients to deal with. Good training opportunities. Management was hit and miss. Some managers were great, others were less so. Unreliable hours. One week I'd work 30 hours, the next I'd have 5. I hated the new uniform but it's comfy to wear for long hours, just ugly.

Pros

Gratis, discount, training opportunities

Cons

short breaks, a lot of turnover, rude customers

Productive fun workplace with bad management

Sephora is a great career opportunity if you plan on only having Sephora in your life. (Most) management is unapproachable and makes working feel as if you are walking on eggshells. Schedule was often changed last minute (not following labour laws) and staff would not be directly notfied and would get in trouble for missing an improper scheduled shift. Was promised career advancements within Sephora and travelled for training, dedicated many years to this company with no explanation or reasoning to why I was stuck in the same position.

Pros

Friendly co-workers, good benefits, good training

Cons

Management, no commission

A corporation that is more concerned with making money than the well-being and happiness of it’s employees

Sephora as a company puts on a giant show for those on the outside looking in to appear as a “great place to work”. This is absolutely not the case. There is zero work life balance even though Sephora claims it as one of it’s “values”. Management and head office expects both part time and full time employees to dedicate all their time to the company and to drop everything to work for them. You are constantly given a hard time when you do try to request time off, and questioned if/when you call in sick for a shift. There is never enough people scheduled, so you are almost always doing the job of multiple employees and are overwhelmed on a regular basis. Instead of giving pay increases where they are certainly due, Sephora bribes employees with gratis (free product) and continues to underpay employees for the overwhelming amount of work they do. During situations like a pandemic, they continuously prove that making money is more important than the safety of their employees. There is zero support from management when short staffed and/or when clients verbally abuse employees. Management continuously picks favourites to give hours to, time off to, and gratis to on a regular basis. Policies never apply to all employees, management picks and chooses who the policies apply to instead of applying them to all employees as they should. Management conducts them selves in an incredibly unprofessional manor and regularly both entertain and partake in gossiping about other employees both on a work level and a personal level. If any type of “leave” is required, paperwork is never completely -

Pros

Gratis (free product), good benefits for full time employees, product knowledge/education, small travel opportunities

Cons

No work life balance, constant indirect comments from management instead of direct acknowledgement and conversation, favouritism from management, bribery with gratis instead of proper pay increases, doing multiple jobs/tasks outside of pay grade, constant short staffing, no opportunity for advancement, zero discipline of employees not following policy and/or breaking rules, constantly picking up the slack of employees not doing their job, zero management support

Fairly okay

It wasn’t the best place to work at, management was unfair most of the time, they would keep gratis from us, they put all the work on a handful of people while the rest were walking around talking to eachother. No work to life balance.

Pros

Gratis sometimes, free lunches

Cons

Long hours, unfair pay, tiring, rude clients

Starts out OK

Working here starts out ok, the pay is low and work load is high for people in the middle of salaried management and part time/casual. They hire at lowest amount possible, like any corporate job, and you have to fight for a livable wage. Attempt to take advantage of younger, inexperienced colleagues: hire as cashier wage and then put you in other positions for the day that pay more but "forget" to give you the higher wage. Expect to get called on days off, nights, etc when you are not there. I was called even after I quit. No work life balance. Leadership was unsupportive and micromanaged every task. Eventually making the place so toxic and unbearable everyone good leaves. Cultivated a gossiping Jr high environment.Gratis is ridiculously good though.

Pros

Gratis

Cons

Everything else

Not a bad place to work

There are a lot of rude leads that Sephora needs to ask it’s employee’s idea about the leaders!Long hours of standing with minimum pay and not enough employee on stage to help people.

Pros

Discounts

Cons

Rude leaders and too hard to be full-time

Wonderful Place to Work

Strong leadership, room for growth, exceptional benefits.Sephora is a wonderful place to work with lovely management, staff, and higher ups. You learn so much in your time with them and it really is all about the client and making their experience memorable.

Says one thing, does another

They expect so much effort for so little reward. They say they believe in work-life balance, but then the managers and leads skip breaks and are always stressed. They constantly push for more sales, but then we are told that our service quality needs to be higher.Clients and management are demanding, and the jobs is physically demanding as well, but they'll pay you minimum wage. The job is great if youre planning on getting into the makeup sales industry, but not a great long-term option.

Pros

free product, good training

Cons

long, hard hours, minimum wage

The only bad point of working there is the salary

Pros - Team Management Gratis Non-competitive workteam Social advantage Cons - The salary is extremly low if you compare Sephora to all other cosmetics jobs. It's kind ofsad because you know they can give more.

Competitive place with pretty good pay, but not a lot of advancement

Not sure if it was because they hired too many people, but we were not given a lot of hours. I worked about 4 hours a wee, which could not support me, so I had to get another job to support myself. Management was fine, but it is kind of competitive.

Pros

Free product, flexible schedule

Cons

Litte to no hours, no advancment

Stressful work environment

Personal sales goals were given to each employee every shift and were followed up with throughout the shift. Many employees were guilted into working extra shifts and some were even asked to not return to school to continue working in store. I personally felt that it was a lot of expectations for minimum wage. Only full time employees had benefits, and when they were given insurance applications they had to wait 90 days before the benefits became available to them.

Pros

Free product

Cons

lack of employee benefits

Fast paced, less competitive, fun

Extremely fast paced work environment, opportunities to exceed in leadership and management roles, continuing education always makes this job always interesting. Pay needs better compensation however.

Gens agréable mais salaire très bas

Super environnement de travail, stressants quand il y a différentes personnes à servir en même temps, beaucoup de produits de soins et de maquillage gratuits, salaire merdique malheureusement

Very fun place to work at!

The management team was always really helpful! Other co-workers are also really willing to help. You could also learn a lot by seeing how such a big company works. However, after a few months I started feeling everything is the same (but which job isn't?).. not much to complain. If the salary is enough for a better living style then I would want to work there forever!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sephora. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Compare Sephora with