Sephora

Canada403 reviews

Found 403 reviews matching the searchSee all 4,757 reviews

Fun workplace

Featured review

Sephora selected this as a representative review
I feel welcome here and everyone are friendly. The management always help you growth and coaching you to be better. Sephora is my dream job since I was in high school. I come here not just finding a regular job, but to build my career here.

Pros

Gratis, Free Lunch when it your birthday, Discounts, Flexible Hours

Cons

Sometime have to deals with difficult clients, shoplifting.

great company but management plays favourites

they are very strict about employee discount. I did enjoy working there because of my co workers. I really made such great friends. Management can be rude and play favouritism. They will make people they don't like do more work.

Not Bad, Not Great

I worked “backstage” so I had a lot of early mornings, but loved being apart of the merchandiser team. We were responsible for the flow of products from the back room to the floor and display set up throughout the store. Overall good experience, no major complaints.

not really the best job I’ve had

favouritism. seems like everyone is nice at first but gossip tend to happen and very passive aggressive when you can’t come to work. i find this work place to be a little toxic, to be fair the makeup industry can be toxic but depends on each people.but most of my coworkers were nice.management on the other hand wasn’t the best.

Pros

monthly gratis

Cons

Unsettling environment

Extremely toxic work culture

Toxic work culture that promotes bullying and singling each other out for flaws, but never gives a compliment or a thank you in regards to working hard. This company pins everyone against each other and makes things competitive on a personal level. Management is known for gaslighting and they have absolutely no regard to work/life balance. They expect you to work extremely hard and constantly seek approval, while showing no appreciation and making minimum wage. It’s a cool experience for the first few weeks, and then true colours start to show for what the company is actually about. It’s not worth the emotional tax to work there.

Pros

Free makeup

Cons

They don’t cover the therapy they make you need

Fast-paced and toxic

I loved the location I worked at in the beginning of my 3 years at sephora. The team I worked with felt like a small family, but a change in management really made me realize how toxic the people were. Extremely pushy on product sales, got reprimanded for not wearing enough makeup while other girls barely wore anything either. Also, we were severely underpaid for all that we did! As a makeup artist, it felt insulting to get paid $2 above minimum wage for doing someone’s face for an hour. We weren’t even on commission nor were we allowed to take tips!

Pros

Free lunches during events, gratis (free products), exclusivity on upcoming launches

Cons

Fast-paced, insistent on sales and customer service

Can be a fun workplace with a lot of perks

Really enjoyed the job at first, but management can make or break your experience. The pay is only a couple dollars above minimum wage, you don't get trained a lot but are expected to help clients with all their questions. Constantly understaffed and management has unreal expectations at time. Chill job for retail though, you get tons of free makeup and skincare and learn a lot about different products and brands. Not a great place if you want to further your makeup career though, but great to start out.

Pros

Gratis, trainings, education opportunities

Cons

Unqualified management, not enough pay

Fun working in a diverse environment

Sephora is very supportive with work life balance, enhancing skills, education, and staff diverse culture. We also got gifts and prizes to test out to help out sales skills. However during the holidays is can be a lot of work because besides selling we had to watch for potential individuals who tried to steal from the store and get management and police involved while the sales floor is full of customers. Overall great place just pay sucks

Pros

Work life balance 100% enforced

Cons

Salary

Fun place to work, but depends on the location. Gratis is great as well.

Starting off in Sephora you go through onboarding. I started off in makeup and worked at my first location for about 2 1/2 years. Loved the people I worked with, got along well with management! You really have to push management to learn new things. I continuously asked to be cash trained and they will do it. They just need to be reminded. The hardest part is when you don't get along with management and you have to deal with them. As well as horrible customers, but that's in any retail job. gratis was okay as well, but you have to work a lot to get the good stuff. At my second location, it was a little more difficult to get proper 8-9 hour shifts. I kept getting five-hour shifts every day and working full weekends. Which was hard for me with the full-time school. I'd much rather liked having 2-3 9 hours shifts per week but that was not possible for them. You have to really be on the management's good side to even be noticed.

Pros

great co-workers, free brand training, gratis, lunch room snacks

Cons

short shifts, need to work a lot to get acknowledged, difficulty moving up (getting certified in anything), need to raise salaries

Fun work environment

What I enjoyed most about working for Sephora was the clients and getting to meet new people every day. The training was really good and every day there was a new product to learn about. I learned alot of new skills and expanded my knowledge in makeup and skin care

Pros

Free snacks, fun environment, free product

Cons

Low pay, working every weekend, employees are competitive with one another

Very toxic environment

Management is useless, they just spend entire day talking and gossiping, and treating other employees like trash. No work life balance, some weeks you have 5 hours, some weeks 30. So much micromanaging, no room to give any feedback or suggestions. Gratis and employee discount are the only two reasons anyone stays at Sephora.

Pros

Gratis, employee discount

Cons

Physical work, rude clients, useless management, toxic work environment

Dream job come true

I find it amazing to finally work for Sephora. I’ve shopped there for years and always wanted to apply but nerves got the better of me! Knowing now that it is a great company, fun work environment and very supportive co workers and management, I wish I applied sooner! Very fast paced, client oriented and beneficial job. Everyone is nice and supportive, also gratis is also a plus! Everyone I work with works hard and we all lift eachother up! I couldn’t even give a con if I wanted to !

Pros

Gratis, appreciation

Cons

Wonderful management and work culture, bad hourly pay

The managers I had were absolutely wonderful. Very supportive and humble. They were there to help. It seemed very difficult to move up though on a retail store level since they expect you to go above and beyond in an environment where the formula for success has already been perfected for you. Hourly pay was terrible but employee discount of 30% is hard to beat. Great work culture (lots of snacks :))

It's very fun when to work here when your co-workers are lively

I loved working here in my 3 year, management was always understanding from day 1, everyone is friendly and no toxicity at all which is surprising when compared to others talking about their experience working here.

Pros

Great management team, great co-workers

Cons

your typical retail cons :)

depends on the location

I’ve worked at a couple Sephora stores and had varying experiences. My first location was in Ottawa and was amazing from management to coworkers to customers. However, I’ve transferred to two other stores and hated working my position. It just depends on management (mostly), never had a bad experience with other coworkers. There’s always room for advancement and training, they do yearly reviews with you and you can earn a slight raise, you get discounts, and receive gratis to expand your knowledge on products. Overall it’s a pretty good place to work it’s just a hit or miss for me when it comes to store location.

Pros

can always advance to other positions, training opportunities are amazing

Cons

hit or miss depending on store location, work/life balance is a value of theirs but it doesn’t always feel like it

Diverse and very inclusive culture

I just been hired at Sephora and so far, im not gonna lie I have been struggling. It is a very fast paced and slightly stressful business to get a handle on but they have been extremely helpful by not overwhelming you and every staff member has been there when i reached out. It is a very supportive staff and although they have strict guidelines and protocols it is tempered by the incredible support and encouragement. Alongside my pay is decent and the bonuses and perks are phenomenal. Im finally catching a little wave and am excited about my future there…

Pros

Superb discounts, large bonuses and a ton of exceptional gratis

Cons

Very very busy and fast paced

Don’t waste your time at this company

Terrible pay! You’re lucky if you can even get 15 hours a week. I was constantly asked to not come in for on call shifts and told to go home early. I barely made a living there. Management did not care. Gratis was pretty bad too. They make you go the extra mile for bad pay.Don’t waste your time working at this place.

Pros

Free food from brands, some ok gratis

Cons

Short shifts, bad pay, terrible wage, payroll to give out, disorganized management

Depressing and Unprofessional Place to Work at

Overall, the managers are very power hungry and power trip all the time. They bully you into doing what they want and when you disagree they find a lame excuse to let you go. When you make a mistake, there is no seek to understand or coaching conversation, they write you up and give you a warning right away. Career advancements are also very rare.

Pros

You get to make your own schedule

Cons

Your stuck in the same role and can't advance to other higher roles in the company

Busy workplace with a tendency for micro management

I worked at Sephora for nearly a decade and the gratis and trainings were wonderful. the overall client service experience was unfortunate, and management consistently was unsupportive, untrusting and overbearing. As a company they tokenize minorities for profits and don’t do anything to give back to those communities; major performative activism.

Pros

Gratis

Cons

No work life balance, micro management, performative company

Negative Experience

When I started working at Sephora I was so excited and I was really looking forward to it since it is one of my favourite stores. In the beginning, everyone was helpful in providing training and for the most part coworkers try to be positive. This environment can feel fake and suffocating when coworkers are rude for no reason and are gossipy like high school girls. Management did not seem to care about this at all, only the needs of the business. Also, be prepared to make scheduling requests and for it to get denied or to just find out you are scheduled anyways like a full-timer. Terrible job for students in high school and/or in college/university that are looking for a flexible, rewarding, and fun part-time job.

Pros

Talking to clients, the store music, and the gratis.

Cons

Negative coworkers and poor management.

Love it

Atmosphere is so energetic, fun and leadership makes sure everyone is appreciated and included. They make sure staffs are taken care of and they are pretty good at that job. Day to day goal is very clear to work for, no matter how many questions I have, seniors answer them with such a positive energy where I have never felt stupid. Tons of opportunities to grow, I actually do love going to work for the very first time in my life!

Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sephora. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

1.7K