Sephora
Information from Sephora:

Sephora Employee Reviews for Skin Care Consultant

Skin Care Consultant16 reviews
Canada16 reviews
They were an amazing company to work for and filled with lots of chances to develop. Most of the staff are friendly and excited to be there! Very engaging!
Between the rude clients and favoritism within the workplace you really don’t get paid enough for the stress. Clients are rude and entitled consistently asking for samples and giving attitude. Sometimes leadership will favor one person over another and so advancing in the company can be set back because the favorited cast members will get elevated before those who are equally or more qualified. No tips allowed, no benefits if you’re PT.
it is such a cult, it management doesn't like you then don't expect hours or decent gratis. there is hardly any hours and it feels like there is too much micro management so it feels like you're always doing something wrong. they hardly have hours and they only recognize people for their work if they like them. they can accuse you of not doing your work while their fav employee is doing the same as you and not bat an eye towards them. they are very strict for how little pay you receive. it is better to be on the outside as a client then it is to be a cast member in my opinion, there are way more benefits as a beauty insider than there are as an employee to the company
The managers are awful and do not respect confidentiality. They gossip about your private information amongst one another and other co-workers. If they don't like you, they will target you and they also STEAL gratis.
Sephora was certainly an interesting place to work. At first I loved it, because I got to talk about beauty all day and I got lots of free product and the discount. Everyone seemed nice at first, and I did make some good friends there. HOWEVER, If you are an individual who is opinionated, or likes to take action to change policies or rules you don't agree with DON'T WORK THERE. You have to have unpaid bag checks every time you leave the store even for lunches and 15 min breaks, which normally take at least 10-15 mins for a manager to come back to do it. The pay is terrible for the amount of effort you are pressured to put into the job.

The thing that bothered me the most is that I felt like I couldn't be myself at work. The clothes were unflattering and uncomfortable, I was overtly told to wear more and more makeup (which makes me uncomfortable) even though I worked in the skin care world, It was made nearly impossible to make complaints about the absurd amount of rules we had to abide by, and worst of all I was told how to speak to clients. I couldn't just talk to people like a genuine human being, and when I did behave like my normal self, I was then told every little thing I did wrong and how I need to sell more, add more to the basket, sell sell sell. They are watching you like a hawk at all times.

I was even given a poor performance review because I don't wear enough makeup, don't speak to clients in the "sephora way" (I talk to them in a real way), and because I missed 6 weeks of work when I got mono.

Final say: you have to ask to use the washroom. I feel
 - more...
Sephora can be very busy, and very demanding. I loved the cast working there but the salary was far too low for the amount of work being done. I wish there was more room to grow in the company.
Super fun place to work if you're in school or college but unless you're planning on working in the beauty industry its not worth it.
Hard to advance and work long hours to receive recognition
Pros
Gratis
Cons
Long hours, Low pay
Always busy, but always surrounded by amazing clients who have a passion for beauty in different ways. Using different products and learning about how they work gave me confidence to teach clients.
This job is super fun and leaning new things is great at first but the more you're there the less fun it gets. It is 100% impossible to move up unless you're willing to suck up to everyone (even then that doesn't work). Pay is ok but with minimum wage going up it'll be nothing special. Best part is the gratis since you'll never really need to buy make up again. Even then it's not worth the mental and physical abuse this job gives...especially when they won't let you phone in even with doctors note
Pros
Gratis, free food on even days
Cons
Long hours, management, no advancement, no work life balance
Sephora has given me many tools in the beauty industry. They have a great training program and a fun team environment. There positive energy always kept me going.
Pros
Fun
Cons
Low salary
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Sephora?
I love working at Sephora. It's a high-energy, high-paced, very physical job, considering a cast member sells skincare, makeup, or fragrance. The culture is healthy, with fantastic, approachable management, great perks and tons of education regarding brands and products.
Pros
Gratis of product, great people to work with
Cons
Long hours, occasionally difficult clients
My particular store is great but management can be a hassle. Since there are so many managers, communication between them is an issue. There are great perks: lots of free products, occasional extra discount, and first pick of product. However, this is still a retail job. Sales is everything and room for growth is limited unless the managers really like you. Sephora is great for getting experience and making money to put you through school but this is not a life long career.
Pros
Free lunch, free products, discount
Cons
Frequent hour cuts, sales driven, work life balance non-existent
Great place to work, super fast paced. Team work, passionate work mates. There's a great work culture that everyone really believes in so its very easy to jump on board. Everyone is very helpful so its easy to learn very fast. Management is amazing!
Pros
Gratis
Cons
Holidays
sephora is a great job if you're young and don't have to pay your own bills and have the time it takes to move up. It does not pay enough to cover living and can be very stressful because of this.
The company is also very good at telling you what you want to hear regarding promotions and then making you work hard and demonstrate how badly you want something with no more pay and then no follow through from the company.

Favouritism is HUGE, people will get promotions who dont deserve them and vice versa.

The training from brands and being sent away for training was really nice and for sure the best part of working there.

It really is all about who you work with, my first management team was amazing and then the next was a disaster. Some store directors like to hire externally for promotions which usually causes good staff to leave.

The hours are long, there's no consistency in shifts and it is very difficult to have a life around it.

Finally, sometimes at Sephora you began to feel like a robot... You're coached on how to speak to clients,how to act.. Etc., The company wants you to be an individual but then makes you wear the same makeup, same lip colour and so on with visits and occasions. I don't know if this is a good thing or bad thing I just know the company started to feel very much not me.

I think if you love makeup and are young this could be either a great foot in the door or you could make a career out of it. I loved the company when I first started and have just unfortunately found that the company doesn't really align with who I am anymore!
Pros
Gratis
Cons
Low pay.
I enjoyed my time here but I moved for opportunities elsewhere. But the company has decent benefits if you are the lucky few who get offered full time. Don't hold your breath.
Pros
The people
Cons
Down time in retail is awful
I would say that I do enjoy Sephora for the other employees as well as the clients unfortunately the management styles and work ethics do not match mine. I enjoy the fast paced industry I also like that things are different with each clients needs which keeps me on my toes and always thinking and learning. I love that I get to interact with people in my job everyday and that when they have left they have had a wonderful experience and all of their needs and concerns where met in a timely fashion.

I would say the hardest part of the job is there isn't a good life work balance and unfortunately the hourly wage is not the greatest.