Sephora
Information from Sephora:

Sephora Employee Reviews for Makeup Artist

Makeup Artist17 reviews
Canada17 reviews
In general, sephora is a friendly and colaborative environment, but the biggest set back is the poor and unfair pay, that was the cause of many good cast members to leave the company.
Pros -
Team

Gratis

Non-competitive workteam

Social advantage

Cons -

The salary is extremly low if you compare Sephora to all other cosmetics jobs. It's kind ofsad because you know they can give more.
Ce n’est définitivement pas un emploi pour tout le monde et il faut aimer travailler à pression. J’ai personnellement eu une expérience positive et je recommande à ceux qui sont réellement passionnés. Par contre, il faut savoir que c’est très exigent.
Very good work/life balance. Not very good management, they make you feel bad for calling in when your sick and the managers like to talk down to other cast members.
Pros
work life balance
Cons
arrogent managers
Sephora would have had to been my favourite job. The girls were amazing and i made some of my very best friends at that job. The management was great and i still have contact with them today. I always enjoyed coming to work and making customers happy and to make them smile!
Pros
games
Working there made it fun and the team is well oiled and run. However they pay is not reflected on your work and the bonuses don't make sense. I could work my butt off for a month and get a $20.00 bonus.
Pros
great environment
Cons
terrible pay
Some clients may ask where particular products are located and i assist them to locate them and some clients ask for opinions on products and i give them general feedback. Some clients come to get their makeup done and i fulfil that.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
Great environment , diverse dynamic and tuns of fun sephora is a different time of zone to work in. A typical day of assisting clients can be so inspiring, teaching clients nips and tricks and everyday makeup.
Fun great experience, long tearm if your willing to move to say Toronto but to stay in Winnipeg at the moment not a lot of movement. And there’s more work than amount of pay earned.
Pros
Lots of fun experience
Cons
Not enough pay
Intensive work hours
mostly selling products/makeup applications mostly on weeked and during the grad/wedding seasons

expected a lot for a retail job

lots of trainings and gratis which is nice
Pros
gratis
Cons
long hours changing management
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Sephora?
I liked working there at first, as a makeup artist it’s great for working on a really diverse clientele, but I find the job overall very fake and pushy. I have to cake on so much makeup (they rather you have a bunch of makeup on that doesn’t look good than minimal makeup to bring out features), and I find the whole vibe very condescending (especially coming from management and the lingo Sephora uses). The pressure to sell is also pretty high, which is irritating considering you don’t get commission. The free product is great though, I’d say for an aspiring makeup artist it is a great job to have considering you have access to the whole store of skincare/makeup to improve your artistry on any skin tone/type, and the free product is great for starting to stock your kit. However, I came into Sephora after already graduating secondary education for makeup and freelancing myself, and I find that there isn’t a lot of freedom/creativity that you can put into the makeups you are doing, ultimately you are advertising Sephora’s makeup/techniques/lifestyle so it makes growing your personal style almost impossible. You can advance in the company quite easily, almost to the point where it is pushed onto you, which is what happened to me. I have been having issues with work/life balance however, and will be leaving due to the scheduling leaving me no time to catch up in school, even after me bringing this up to them. Overall, I recommend Sephora for aspiring makeup artists/makeup lovers, just be prepared to have the “Sephora lifestyle” really pushed down your throat, along with minimum wage, - more...
Pros
Free product, good discount(40% for Sephora collection 20% for everything else), easy to move up in company
Cons
High pressure to sell with no commission or tips, minimum wage, condescending management (my personal experience)
Sephora needs to take a major look at how they treat their employees, and how they pay them.

The Cast does not get paid nearly enough for the had work they do.
Pros
Amazing Cast
Cons
Low Pay
interesting people to work with. flexible hours with some occasional opportunities to move up in the company. interesting rate of pay. interesting team morale.
Working with Sephora has to be one of my best experiences that came through my work.Not only did i get to deal with makeup but also work with the customers and apply makeup on them. Which truly expresses my talent and my joy for makeup.
Amazing atmosphere. Everyone is kind and helpful. Judgement-free environment. I love my job there. There company itself is a great company and I'm proud to be working here.
Enlightening atmosphere with an enjoyable selection of products. The staff were quite responsive when an issue occurred, MOST employees were kind, though the management staff were extremely supportive and taught new employees efficient and effective ways to apply the proper techniques.
Pros
Kind staff
Cons
hectic
they give great opportunity to advance as long as you work hard
great teaching strategies

great educators

management is horrible in most locations
Pros
learn lots in fragrance skin care and make up
Cons
too many