Sephora

Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager
  • Fair pay for job
  • Trust in colleagues

great company but management plays favourites

they are very strict about employee discount. I did enjoy working there because of my co workers. I really made such great friends. Management can be rude and play favouritism. They will make people they don't like do more work.

Bad management, treats new hires very disrespectfully

I did not like the work culture here as well as the attitude of soem senior team members. I talked very politely and some of them have always been rude to me probably because I was a new hire

Pros

Gratis

Cons

Not enough hours

Fast-paced and toxic

I loved the location I worked at in the beginning of my 3 years at sephora. The team I worked with felt like a small family, but a change in management really made me realize how toxic the people were. Extremely pushy on product sales, got reprimanded for not wearing enough makeup while other girls barely wore anything either. Also, we were severely underpaid for all that we did! As a makeup artist, it felt insulting to get paid $2 above minimum wage for doing someone’s face for an hour. We weren’t even on commission nor were we allowed to take tips!

Pros

Free lunches during events, gratis (free products), exclusivity on upcoming launches

Cons

Fast-paced, insistent on sales and customer service

Fun working in a diverse environment

Sephora is very supportive with work life balance, enhancing skills, education, and staff diverse culture. We also got gifts and prizes to test out to help out sales skills. However during the holidays is can be a lot of work because besides selling we had to watch for potential individuals who tried to steal from the store and get management and police involved while the sales floor is full of customers. Overall great place just pay sucks

Pros

Work life balance 100% enforced

Cons

Salary

Fun work environment

What I enjoyed most about working for Sephora was the clients and getting to meet new people every day. The training was really good and every day there was a new product to learn about. I learned alot of new skills and expanded my knowledge in makeup and skin care

Pros

Free snacks, fun environment, free product

Cons

Low pay, working every weekend, employees are competitive with one another

Fairly okay

It wasn’t the best place to work at, management was unfair most of the time, they would keep gratis from us, they put all the work on a handful of people while the rest were walking around talking to eachother. No work to life balance.

Pros

Gratis sometimes, free lunches

Cons

Long hours, unfair pay, tiring, rude clients

Great company

Fun company very organized Good training opportunities to move up High standard Very strict management always watching each and every move High goals/sales targets services and expectations

Pros

The gratis the people the beautiful store

Cons

Being watched like a baby

Stressful work environment

Personal sales goals were given to each employee every shift and were followed up with throughout the shift. Many employees were guilted into working extra shifts and some were even asked to not return to school to continue working in store. I personally felt that it was a lot of expectations for minimum wage. Only full time employees had benefits, and when they were given insurance applications they had to wait 90 days before the benefits became available to them.

Pros

Free product

Cons

lack of employee benefits

Toxic culture inside stores, redundancy in management, High expectations with low compensation

The management structure within the company is filled with redundancy. The stores have 5+ managers for small teams making it difficult for employees. There is a very common toxic culture between employees and mangament that leads to a high turnaround. The expecations for even the smallest positions are very high for low pay. If you don't look at it as your end-all be-all career you will be cast aside.

Work-life balance is fulfilled at Sephora.

Sephora is very considerate when it comes to their workers' work-life balance. They were also generous when it came to the pandemic, paying their employees sick-leave.

Working at Sephora

Loved working here. Made a lot of friends and was able to expand my retail experience and skills. I would recommend this job to anyone who is interested in the beauty industry.

Good times!

Great place to work with great people. Sometimes I felt like better corporate decisions could be made on behalf of the employees but the management was great and tried their best.

Fun job, but not adequate pay, management isnt the best

So I worked at Sephora for 2 years, and overall it was really fun. My biggest issues were that 1. You got in trouble if you didn't wear enough makeup (I understand it's a job selling makeup, but they don't accept wearing makeup to just enhance your features in my experience) 2. Even after I went through training to get CM certified (included getting flown to Calgary for a multiple-day training seminar) and then once I was CM certified, my job responsibilities changed drastically with more duties and responsibilities. This would be fine if they gave me a raise for all of this. Which they didn't 3. They constantly talk about the clients' needs, but in my experience, they didn't care about the customer at all, just the sales. ( Again, I know it's a job selling makeup, but the management would set the client up with an expectation and then tell you over the headset that you can't fulfill the expectation for that client because management has already found you a new client.) This was very frustrating, as I tried to give everyone a great experience, whether they were purchasing or not.

Great work culture!

They were an amazing company to work for and filled with lots of chances to develop. Most of the staff are friendly and excited to be there! Very engaging!

Your Career Depends...

Your experience at either location is entirely determined by whose butt you kiss and who likes you. If you’re an a** kissing professional and make the management feel like they’re high ranking entrepreneurs and incredible people, you’ll do amazing. You will get absolutely everything you want. The catch is putting up with some leaderships falsely inflated egos... good luck! On the contrary, if you speak up about the l absolute nonsense and unacceptable behaviour you’ll see, consider yourself done. You mind as well just resign. And while you’re at it you’ll be made to feel like it’s absolutely you’re fault, and the reasons you’ll be given are bogus. Things that are personal such as you’re not self aware, or you’re challenging. For example, if any of them read this they’ll automatically think that whoever wrote this is “bitter, horrible, negative, needs help” etc, and they won’t spend one second self reflecting and thinking of the truth to it. You’ll hear some members of leadership talk to people unacceptably, but if you bring it up be fully prepared to have a look of shock staring back at you and a speech about how it was ever meant to come across like that, blah blah. They can behave how they want but you can’t. Remember that. You’ll also see some people get a great work-life balance schedule while you take all the mid shifts and closes, but that’s a treat best saved for if you’re hired. There’s one particular member of leadership you’ll see get whatever they want, talk however they want, and be bff’s with the manager. I’ll leave that one alone and you can just watch it for -

Management only treats their favourites well and everyone else poorly. Your treated like a child that is also in prison for 8 hours a day, and actually referred to as a kindergartener. Disrespectful and hostile environment

Sephora

I love my job but there have been a lot of management issues that have put a strain on working in that environment. There is also a lot of emphasis on selling but sometimes it is just selling to sell where it should be recommending the right products for your client.

Great if you want a fun, slightly competitive, and busy workplace!

Great management if you take initiative and communicate your goals, fun but active workplace, you need to be able to multitask and be able to communicate with multiple levels of education to accommodate all clients in store. Initiative goes a long way! Excellent for giving training too!

Good place to get started and learn, long hours, low pay

Working at Sephora was quite the learning experience. You are confronted with so many products and the newness coming in. You have to keep up to date. When I started at Sephora we always watched a training video before each shift as well as having brand reps come in for training now it's mostly reps. It's a good student job and to get started in the business. You learn about selling and retail as well. You deal with an array of client types and that teaches you how to read people quickly. Some stores are friendlier, more welcoming and more relaxed than others in terms of clientele and staff. Each store has a distinct character. There are always one or two managers who are quite lovely and human and then there are others that don't listen to you, talk down to you, and play favourites. They talk behind your back and allow the position get to their heads. Favourites were promoted and celebrated. The cast notices when they praise the same 2 people all the time. It's demoralizing. The camaraderie amongst the selling cast is nice although there can be cattiness and gossip. I avoided all that and I was fine. The hours are very long and it is exhausting to do 6 days in a row with one day in between for long stretches of time and to work every weekend. The pay is deplorable. Your yearly pay raise is sad. Cast turnover is because of: burn out, poor pay, management Regardless, of the occassional difficult clients, I loved helping people, finding solutions and making them smile. I hope I was able to bring the best client service. I loved learning about new products -

only good for extra cash on the side

The pay is awful and you only get a raise if you stay there over a year. I was hired in October and they did raises the next year in September and said I didn't qualify because I hadn't hit one year yet and that I'd have to wait until the next year's reviews. The head manager constantly forgot my name even though it was on my nametag! ! the environment is incredibly catty and toxic. The whole thing is a "who is the most depressed" show

Pros

great work life balance, half hour break every shift and two paid 15 min break as well in an 8hr, discount is pretty good

Cons

managers only care about sales, terrible wages and raise practice, uniform is incredibly uncomfortable and itchy

Not worth the stress

Between the rude clients and favoritism within the workplace you really don’t get paid enough for the stress. Clients are rude and entitled consistently asking for samples and giving attitude. Sometimes leadership will favor one person over another and so advancing in the company can be set back because the favorited cast members will get elevated before those who are equally or more qualified. No tips allowed, no benefits if you’re PT.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sephora. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Compare Sephora with