Sephora

Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager
  • Fair pay for job
  • Trust in colleagues

Wonderful management and work culture, bad hourly pay

The managers I had were absolutely wonderful. Very supportive and humble. They were there to help. It seemed very difficult to move up though on a retail store level since they expect you to go above and beyond in an environment where the formula for success has already been perfected for you. Hourly pay was terrible but employee discount of 30% is hard to beat. Great work culture (lots of snacks :))

Very easy going environment!

The store I work at is very relaxed - except for the holidays! But, even during holiday crunch time everything seems to run smoothly. Very easy going staff and so welcoming. I am especially pleased with management; they are so understanding and do really care for their employers, which was why I wanted to review. I have never experienced such a great management team at any other job I’ve held.

Pros

Employee discount, accommodating with scheduling, gratis, friendly environment

Cons

Can be a little slow in store due to being a “low traffic” store.

depends on the location

I’ve worked at a couple Sephora stores and had varying experiences. My first location was in Ottawa and was amazing from management to coworkers to customers. However, I’ve transferred to two other stores and hated working my position. It just depends on management (mostly), never had a bad experience with other coworkers. There’s always room for advancement and training, they do yearly reviews with you and you can earn a slight raise, you get discounts, and receive gratis to expand your knowledge on products. Overall it’s a pretty good place to work it’s just a hit or miss for me when it comes to store location.

Pros

can always advance to other positions, training opportunities are amazing

Cons

hit or miss depending on store location, work/life balance is a value of theirs but it doesn’t always feel like it

Productive fun workplace with bad management

Sephora is a great career opportunity if you plan on only having Sephora in your life. (Most) management is unapproachable and makes working feel as if you are walking on eggshells. Schedule was often changed last minute (not following labour laws) and staff would not be directly notfied and would get in trouble for missing an improper scheduled shift. Was promised career advancements within Sephora and travelled for training, dedicated many years to this company with no explanation or reasoning to why I was stuck in the same position.

Pros

Friendly co-workers, good benefits, good training

Cons

Management, no commission

H o r r i b l e.

Working at Sephora was something I’d wanted to do for so long, so I was beyond excited when I was hired. After the first day I was already miserable. They are a very judgmental company and a lot of the time it feels as though you’re back in highschool because the “cast” is extremely cliquey. The management I worked under was an absolute disaster. Each of them would tell you to do the opposite of what the other told you so you were constantly getting in trouble if you did what one said and not the other. There was never a correct way to do something for anyone. If you asked for time off they would ask you a million personal questions that a manager should not be asking an associate. It was ridiculously unprofessional and I’ll never work for a company like this again.

Pros

Literally nothing

Cons

Judgemental, unprofessional, inconsistent, disrespectful

Good place to start in the industry

It is a great place to work if you want to learn about the beauty industry, and network however management at this location shows favourtism, and made work into a competive enviroment

Pros

Gratis, knowledge, connections

Cons

Catty work enviroment

Productive and great work enviroment

I loved working at Sephora Pacific Center. The training was great as well as management. The work environment was great and chill. The gratis products were a great plus.

Pros

Free makeup and skincare

Innovative Work Place

It was really nice experience over there. Staff was super friendly and very supportive with your requirements. Innovative make up according to seasons. Everyday you will know something new about the cosmetic.

Amazing atmosphere to work in

Working at Sephora was an amazing opportunity. The employees and clients are all wonderful. I'd recommend working there to anybody, especially if you have a desire for makeup/skincare.

Great Job if you enjoy working in a team

The Sephora structure is all about team work. The training for the job is extensive and from the beginning they want to encourage the idea of growing in the company and where you’ll be in 6 months-1year. But if you do not get along with management or another cast member this will be a hard environment to work in. Coworkers really will make or break the experience.

Pros

Teamwork, product to try, fun environment, fast paced

Cons

Stressful, Little to no independence

Fast paced enviornent

Amazing place to keep up with product knowledge, and staff was friendly, never a dull moment. Fun to play with products and learn about what is new in the market field.

Unpleasant work environment

Everyone there is fake. I was never included in conversations, no one helped me learn about the job when I was training, management is terrible. Very strict on dress code. Competitive work environment.

Stressful

The pay and discounts were amazing but working with women really is a disadvantage. Everyone gossips and you can always be put down. Sephora's management at Vaughan Mills is terrible too, they are very rude and stuck up - think they are the best which in fact is wrong. They are the worst out of everyone working there.

Good starting place, no long term placement

Was with the company for 2 years. Overall, it's a super fun environment to start off in the beauty industry. There are lots of trainings and workshops from brands Sephora carries and you learn a lot. You meet lots of great people that are interested in the same things you are which makes the job more fun. My store's scheduling manager was fantastic when it comes to getting time off for holidays, sick days, etc; but I know every store is different. We could pretty much get any day off we needed. A great way to get into the company is to start as a cashier, and work your way into colour (makeup artistry) or skin (skincare advisor!) Customers can be particularly rude and "catty" for no reason as they think all Sephora workers are rude and snobby, which is not the case. It's still a retail environment, so expect lots of long 8.5 hour shifts and working holidays. During the annual sales, expect to have a few mental breakdowns. Regarding my position, I started as a cashier and was promoted to cash coordinator after about a year. Lots of broken promises regarding moving up to management one day and very low pay increase. Expect to make minimum wage at first and only move up a dollar or two (if that) during the "appraisals" and "reviews." There is also no commission.

Pros

free makeup and skincare, discount, fun trainings, flexible with time off

Cons

Retail and holiday hours, long shifts, favouritism, low wage, minimal position movement

Fantastic Environment at Store 540

Fun, happy environment to work in. Lots of opportunity to advance and learn.

Fast pace work environment with many opportunities to grow with the company

Really great place to work. Management team is extremely helpful and encouraging to help you grow with the company and move into different worlds. Very flexible with scheduling, but like most part time jobs hours are not guaranteed. Workplace culture is very friendly and accepting, all cast members are willing to help and teach.

Pros

Free lunches

Catty environment, good perks

I've worked a lot of jobs and this is one of the worst. I hated the environment and the constant pressure and gossip. It was unrelenting. The free makeup was nice.

OK but not for me

The job was fun because of the co-workers. You get to learn a lot about products through training and the free gratis you get. There are a lot of opportunities for growth within the company. Management always try to make things fun, but are pretty strict when it comes to rules and policies. You always always hsve to have a full face of makeup, no matter what. As a cashier it can get quite repetitive. OK job for a student or for any aspiring makeup artist, but for me it just got old pretty quick.

Pros

Gratis, fun coworkers, management was very nice

Cons

Long hours, terrible pay, bag checks

Terrible, most inconsiderate hiring process

I received a call 2-3 weeks after applying and did other 2 interviews in the store and they seem to have really liked it but it has been ONE WEEK and nobody called me back. The second interview was 1 hour and they asked me a bunch of difficult questions about situations. The third also lasted 40 min. In other words, if you have the option, try somewhere else. The pay is low for all the trouble and it is so unprofessional.

Pros

Nice people, who now seem just shallow

Cons

Unprofessional, difficult process, low pay

amazing and fun place to work

sephora was great. thought it got crazy working there (high traffic) every single night of each shift they'll take the time to apprciate us for the hard work and listened to the things that weren't so great about the day.

fun and stressful environment

The job was fun but also stressful, lots of policies and very little room for error. Management was partially enjoyable although some often were mean.

Pros

experience

Cons

long hours of standing, no room for error, parking

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sephora. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

1.7K