Sephora

Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Fair pay for job

Fun job, but not adequate pay, management isnt the best

So I worked at Sephora for 2 years, and overall it was really fun. My biggest issues were that 1. You got in trouble if you didn't wear enough makeup (I understand it's a job selling makeup, but they don't accept wearing makeup to just enhance your features in my experience) 2. Even after I went through training to get CM certified (included getting flown to Calgary for a multiple-day training seminar) and then once I was CM certified, my job responsibilities changed drastically with more duties and responsibilities. This would be fine if they gave me a raise for all of this. Which they didn't 3. They constantly talk about the clients' needs, but in my experience, they didn't care about the customer at all, just the sales. ( Again, I know it's a job selling makeup, but the management would set the client up with an expectation and then tell you over the headset that you can't fulfill the expectation for that client because management has already found you a new client.) This was very frustrating, as I tried to give everyone a great experience, whether they were purchasing or not.

Don’t waste your time at this company

Terrible pay! You’re lucky if you can even get 15 hours a week. I was constantly asked to not come in for on call shifts and told to go home early. I barely made a living there. Management did not care. Gratis was pretty bad too. They make you go the extra mile for bad pay.Don’t waste your time working at this place.

Pros

Free food from brands, some ok gratis

Cons

Short shifts, bad pay, terrible wage, payroll to give out, disorganized management

Busy workplace with a tendency for micro management

I worked at Sephora for nearly a decade and the gratis and trainings were wonderful. the overall client service experience was unfortunate, and management consistently was unsupportive, untrusting and overbearing. As a company they tokenize minorities for profits and don’t do anything to give back to those communities; major performative activism.

Pros

Gratis

Cons

No work life balance, micro management, performative company

Underpaid and overworked

Literally the only plus is a paycheck (and even then it isn't that great). Management don't care to advance people who have worked there a long time, people are constantly stressed out and there have been many a mental breakdown in the back room.

Pros

Coworkers keep you entertained

Cons

Everything else

Says one thing, does another

They expect so much effort for so little reward. They say they believe in work-life balance, but then the managers and leads skip breaks and are always stressed. They constantly push for more sales, but then we are told that our service quality needs to be higher.Clients and management are demanding, and the jobs is physically demanding as well, but they'll pay you minimum wage. The job is great if youre planning on getting into the makeup sales industry, but not a great long-term option.

Pros

free product, good training

Cons

long, hard hours, minimum wage

Productive and great work enviroment

I loved working at Sephora Pacific Center. The training was great as well as management. The work environment was great and chill. The gratis products were a great plus.

Pros

Free makeup and skincare

Great Job if you enjoy working in a team

The Sephora structure is all about team work. The training for the job is extensive and from the beginning they want to encourage the idea of growing in the company and where you’ll be in 6 months-1year. But if you do not get along with management or another cast member this will be a hard environment to work in. Coworkers really will make or break the experience.

Pros

Teamwork, product to try, fun environment, fast paced

Cons

Stressful, Little to no independence

only good for extra cash on the side

The pay is awful and you only get a raise if you stay there over a year. I was hired in October and they did raises the next year in September and said I didn't qualify because I hadn't hit one year yet and that I'd have to wait until the next year's reviews. The head manager constantly forgot my name even though it was on my nametag! ! the environment is incredibly catty and toxic. The whole thing is a "who is the most depressed" show

Pros

great work life balance, half hour break every shift and two paid 15 min break as well in an 8hr, discount is pretty good

Cons

managers only care about sales, terrible wages and raise practice, uniform is incredibly uncomfortable and itchy

Its cool job but not all great

The job requires alot of appearance to be at 100% all the time, I felt like the management was always worried about personal appearance. They used to have alot of great "Gratis" but that all stopped for recovery position for whatever reason. overall I believed to have mainly stayed for the gratis and pay, everything else like long term employees, are very judgy or catty. Working with products and overnight was fairly easy.

Fake people, tight rules.

Super fake co-workers, target based selling (made you feel bad if you didn't get any mentions in the customer surveys.) Higher up employees were on a power trip, everyone took themselves way too seriously for a minimum wage paying job.

Pros

free food from brands

Cons

long hours, rude people, fake co-workers, many rules.

Two times was not the charm

Worked at Sephora twice. 6 years gap in between both experiences, one as entry level and one as senior store management. Culture is to constantly hold us accountable to sales and targets/measures. But not giving us the inventory or support from operations to run the show. Auditing the store on things like safety and lockers when employees are being squished into impossible spaces. 80 employees shared 1 bathroom at my last location.

Low pay, high-stress environment

I worked as a Colour consultant for over three years and my salary went up by a few cents every year. The amount of work that they expected for such a low pay was absolutely ridiculous. I suppose it depends on your location, but I found that mine was very cliquey. Management was unprofessional and played favourites. If you suck up or are friends with someone in management, you're likely to receive a raise if requested and you get the perks of attending exclusive training or moving up quickly within the company. Otherwise, don't even bother. They always preach about learning and growing but do not invest in you unless you are favoured by a manager. I stayed there for 3 years and watched people who had been working there for 3 months be given perks and benefits that I had been working years to obtain. There is also no flexibility with time off, even if you are only part time. No work-life balance at all,

Pros

good experience if you are looking to be a makeup artist with no schooling

Cons

long hours, fast pace environment with little pay, no room for growth

Tiring and Poor Management

Management and communication can vary, as it is a fast paced environment, which management lacked as there were poor communication through the team, and lacked efficiency. It felt messy and breaks were sometimes neglected/forgotten, and the hardest part was to process 4-5 customers during rush hours as they constantly try to reach out to you while managers and staff members have high expectation to complete tasks as soon as you receive it, giving you a face if you cannot do it well. Rude customers were another issue especially during busy hours. The most enjoyable would be interacting with the cast members themselves, as some of them can be very friendly.

Pros

Free Gratis

Cons

Long hours, poor management, low pay

fun place to work at if you love make up.

Although it was a fun place to work at, it was also very draining. Management is okay although its not the most organized. I was welcomed very nicely when I first got hired. The atmosphere was fun.

okay job

Is a toxic environment for your mental health, at first it can be fun a makeup job but after a while I would recommend getting another job because you are over worked and underpaid

Fun place to work at first gets old quickly

A typical day at Sephora is clocking in and going to a "touch base" where you get your hourly schedule, company numbers and daily goals, events/training happening. You then proceed to your designated zone and perform daily tasks. I learned a lot working here about cash handling, client interaction, management styles, training, and development if you work hard and have goals you can advance in the organization. Management was good although favouritism was present often, a lot of cattiness or inappropriate leadership in some cases. Management was always approachable, however. The hardest part of the job was dealing with clients and store cattiness and drama. The easiest part of the job was learning the cash processes.

Pros

Great team, lots of team building, learned a lot about beauty/skincare, potential to advance (if you put the work in), fast paced, free products

Cons

Do not uphold company values, drama all the time, clients are often times awful, physically and mentally draining, extremely low wages

Don’t work at this location.

Management is poor and offer barely to any support to employees. This is a high volume store, and the management here do not have the skills to help support us on the floor. There is also a lot of drama and gossip between employees and management and the environment can be quite “high school” like. They also will often take employees who have applied as part-time and give them full time hours without notice. So if you are a student, they are not flexible even if they say they are. A day in the life is being on your feet for 8 hours, consulting with clients and providing them services. You will also be asked to perform more tasks in other areas of the store because of lack of support from other employees and especially management. Overall an exhausting job, with zero support and rude and unprofessional management. People tend to all of a sudden disappear here, so I would not consider this a career or a stable job. This store needs a renovation on management in order for this job to be enjoyable.

Pros

Training programs, gratis, performing services, and you get insight on products.

Cons

Horrible management, no flexibility with schedules, no support and a lot of gossiping.

Great work/life balance and work culture.

Working for Sephora allowed me to learn an exceptional amount of knowledge of the beauty industry. I learned more than I ever could even fathom about the industry in aspects such as skincare, makeup and beauty products. A great thing about Sephora was the culture. Sephora has their own language and culture for the cast members that work there, and they really understand work/life balance. They get that cast members have lives outside of work as well. The most enjoyable thing about Sephora is getting to work with fellow makeup artists and beauty fanatics. I have maintained really positive friendships with a lot of my fellow cast, even after leaving the company. I also love that they offer services, so I would go an entire eight hour shift giving makeovers and facials, and as a makeup artist I really enjoyed helping clients with their beauty needs. The wage could be better, but the countless perks of the job definitely help. If you're a good cast member, you can advance pretty quickly depending on your location.

Pros

Free snacks, friendships, culture.

Cons

Low wage

N/a

i worked PT at sephora (though it was more full time hours.) Was a great learning experience in a goal driven retail environment. Teaches you how to push sales, offers cosmetic workshops. Perks are gratis (free products) as well as monthly bonuses if your team meets your monthly goal. (doesn't offer great healthcare/dental benefits for both PT or FT employees) Management disregards work/life balance.

terrible for your self-esteem

I worked at a location for a year and a half; by the end I had developed a really unhealthy association between my appearance and my self worth. The store director constantly played favourites and if you were beautiful, it didn't matter if you were dependable or had a work ethic, you could get away with it. The push for you to have a elaborate full face of makeup, even working in the back, made me stress out even when I wasn't at work. They promote that they don't have commission but instead work on a store bonus - that's great! But instead they force the culture of up-selling to the point where it's uncomfortable. Overall, wouldn't recommend.

Pros

Free make-up

Cons

bad for mental health, unhealthy culture

Great growth opportunity, amazing managers and fun envioronment

I was giving a lot of opportunity to advance and move to Toronto. Everyone amazing to work with and I had a great manager that really helped me grow. I was able to travel all over Canada and meet fantastic people.

Pros

work life balance, great environment, teamwork

Cons

No cons really..often long hours but I like to work

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sephora. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

1.7K