Sephora
Happiness score is 49 out of 100

Sephora Employee Reviews in Ottawa, ON

Found 20 reviews matching the searchSee all 4,702 reviews

depends on the location

I’ve worked at a couple Sephora stores and had varying experiences. My first location was in Ottawa and was amazing from management to coworkers to customers. However, I’ve transferred to two other stores and hated working my position. It just depends on management (mostly), never had a bad experience with other coworkers. There’s always room for advancement and training, they do yearly reviews with you and you can earn a slight raise, you get discounts, and receive gratis to expand your knowledge on products. Overall it’s a pretty good place to work it’s just a hit or miss for me when it comes to store location.

Pros

can always advance to other positions, training opportunities are amazing

Cons

hit or miss depending on store location, work/life balance is a value of theirs but it doesn’t always feel like it

It was OK

Gratis was a great bonus but the discount was kinda meagre. Very difficult clients to deal with. Good training opportunities. Management was hit and miss. Some managers were great, others were less so. Unreliable hours. One week I'd work 30 hours, the next I'd have 5. I hated the new uniform but it's comfy to wear for long hours, just ugly.

Pros

Gratis, discount, training opportunities

Cons

short breaks, a lot of turnover, rude customers

Fun, friendly and a make up lovers dream!

From minute one they throw you to work and the learning experiences and workshops never stop! It's an amazing environment to work in if you love moving, customer service and learning.

Pros

free products and discounts

Cons

some customers can be a pain, and sometimes long hours

Toxic envirnoment, insane stress levels and no work/life balance

Truly a disgusting corporation. Feeds off women's insecurities. Everything that is wrong with the beauty industry is present here. Shames employees for not always wearing the most expensive makeup, but pays minimum wage. Cuts hours if you get a part time job to support your family. Management will not accept suggestions or improvements for fear of looking less powerful. Zero work/life balance whatsoever. regularly will schedule people to close/ open the next day and will be sent home without pay if their uniform isn't in perfect condition (no time to do laundry in between shifts and the company wont splurge on giving you more than one). Will schedule single moms to work days like back to school, Halloween and Christmas even just to be spiteful so they miss time with their families. Think 12 dollars are hour is a liveable raise and that staff should be grateful to receive an 8 cent raise once a year. The company will throw out perfectly good makeup every single day instead of using it as incentive for staff. Wasteful is an understatement. Make employees take their paid breaks to do human functions like use the washroom, blow their nose. Insist employees come to work sick so they can keep their makeover appointments- disgusting. Truly an awful place that taints the entire cosmetic industry. Never met a nastier group of humans in my life.

good place to work

Good place to work, but pay is not good. Great environment, they will teach you everything you need to know, good as a starting job. Not much advancement to be made in the store. Gratis is good.

Drink that Kool-Aid

If you’re young and need a temporary retail job then this is good. I’ll hand it to them, they’ll teach you a lot and at first you’ll find it great but they will always hire new girls so that they’re on that Sephora high but will never ever keep them past probation and for the girls that are there long term , there is no place for full time or to grow. If makeup is your passion, look into freelancing.

Pros

Knowledge and experience

Cons

No seniority, No respect, Stressful environment, Terrible discount

Awesome job

The work environment is amazing, everyone is friendly. Very accommodating for everyone's schedule. Overall great company to work with and I would recommend it if you are interested in beauty.

good for people who want to get experience with makeup or skincare

definitely a sales job but a great way to get hands on experience with things like colour matching for all skin tones. Some product training, but mostly focused on the sales aspect. Over all culture was fun and there were some great perks, like meeting brand owners and getting gratis.

Pros

gratis, fun events

Cons

long hours, too much management

Fun but demanding job

Super fun, you learn a lot. Very demanding for what you're paid, and sort of impossible to earn more $. If you do want to move up, there's a lot of blanket statements and waiting around. Fun job, not really a career.

Pros

free stuff

Cons

demanding physically/mentally

Fun Workplace

Very chill and fun workplace although it can get quite hectic! The only thing is the salary is pretty low in terms of how hard we work, but when you love your job, it doesn't matter all that much

Pros

Freebies, Free lunches, Amazing people, fun environment, good management

Cons

Long development, play favorites, poor pay

Fun place to work out but pay is very low

Super fun place to work if you're in school or college but unless you're planning on working in the beauty industry its not worth it. Hard to advance and work long hours to receive recognition

Pros

Gratis

Cons

Long hours, Low pay

Always busy and great benefits

I worked as a cashier and this position was probably the best retail job I have ever had as a student. Great employee benefits and loved majority of my co workers. There's always something to do because it is located downtown. One of the things I didn't enjoy was standing in front of the store and greeting customers as it gets tiring and really boring quick. Loved half of the management!

Pros

Free lunches, gratis, working with make up

Cons

Rude customers

funwork place

a typical day at work was fun working about make-up etc the hardest part was busy days i enjoyed learning about new products and the free gifts we would get

Productive and fun place to work

it is always a pleasure walking into Sephora as a cast. The management is amazing ! Basically a job where you walk in and walk out with more energy. The most challenging part of the job is pleasing the client, which is rare because most clients leave happy and feel more confident than they came in. The most enjoyable part of the job is getting the opportunity to change one's perspective on themselves, higher self esteem, boost confidence and lastly the GRATIS

Pros

Free Lunches

Great Gratis,

As a seasonal worker it was a creative company to work for, but I would only work for Sephora again if I was in corporate or in management. There was a lot of favouritism with the management and that can affect the work life balance.

Pros

gratis

Cons

long hours, catty environment

Provided a good foundation for my current job

Great first job in the makeup world, learned a lot about the basics of customer service, sales transactions and store operations.

Stable/Productive workplace

A typical day can consist of receiving products and simply merchandising them in the according areas. Management and co-workers are friendly/welcoming and are always maintaining a positive experience. Hardest/most tasking aspect of the job is the attention to detail in the late hours of the morning when fatigue starts to set in. Most enjoyable part of the job is the reviewing the end result of a hard days work.

Pros

Consistent hours, Stable/safe workplace, friendly staff

Cons

Overnight, Unable to independently listen to music/podcast etc.

Great Place to Work

Training was incredibly thorough and very instructive, Leadership is supportive and understanding, environment is professional but fun and interactive

Innovative, cutting-edge

sales and makeup application. fun and friendly staff. A lot of innovative technology and initiatives.

Great company to work for

I love Sephora bottom line! It is a great company with great values. I worked with a great TEAM of people, productive and fun atmosphere.

Pros

great team, great company values

Cons

chances of moving up are slim to none, lack of full time hours and benefits

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sephora. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

1.7K