Sephora

Sephora Employee Reviews in Kelowna, BC

Found 7 reviews matching the searchSee all 4,623 reviews

Good place to start in the industry

It is a great place to work if you want to learn about the beauty industry, and network however management at this location shows favourtism, and made work into a competive enviroment

Pros

Gratis, knowledge, connections

Cons

Catty work enviroment

Awful company. Terrible management

The management here will bully you and they don’t care about your work life balance at all. At the end of the day, all they want to do is make money and they don’t care about you, all they care about is the sale. Super unprofessional management team that LOVES to gossip about their employees.

Terrible, most inconsiderate hiring process

I received a call 2-3 weeks after applying and did other 2 interviews in the store and they seem to have really liked it but it has been ONE WEEK and nobody called me back. The second interview was 1 hour and they asked me a bunch of difficult questions about situations. The third also lasted 40 min. In other words, if you have the option, try somewhere else. The pay is low for all the trouble and it is so unprofessional.

Pros

Nice people, who now seem just shallow

Cons

Unprofessional, difficult process, low pay

This is what it"s really like

Sephora was certainly an interesting place to work. At first I loved it, because I got to talk about beauty all day and I got lots of free product and the discount. Everyone seemed nice at first, and I did make some good friends there. HOWEVER, If you are an individual who is opinionated, or likes to take action to change policies or rules you don't agree with DON'T WORK THERE. You have to have unpaid bag checks every time you leave the store even for lunches and 15 min breaks, which normally take at least 10-15 mins for a manager to come back to do it. The pay is terrible for the amount of effort you are pressured to put into the job. The thing that bothered me the most is that I felt like I couldn't be myself at work. The clothes were unflattering and uncomfortable, I was overtly told to wear more and more makeup (which makes me uncomfortable) even though I worked in the skin care world, It was made nearly impossible to make complaints about the absurd amount of rules we had to abide by, and worst of all I was told how to speak to clients. I couldn't just talk to people like a genuine human being, and when I did behave like my normal self, I was then told every little thing I did wrong and how I need to sell more, add more to the basket, sell sell sell. They are watching you like a hawk at all times. I was even given a poor performance review because I don't wear enough makeup, don't speak to clients in the "sephora way" (I talk to them in a real way), and because I missed 6 weeks of work when I got mono. Final say: you have to ask to use the washroom. I feel -

Great Place to work

Your hard work is always acknowledged and there is always a way to advance yourself in the company.Its a great place to work, and they believe in work life balance.

An above-average retail setting.

There are high, and immediate, expectations in this environment. Employees are constantly being asked to do more and better than the day before. While this is wonderful for growth, at a certain point, it becomes overwhelming. Standards change nearly as often as the clientele. Overall, those that work here are friendly with one another. There is definite improvement needed in many cast members that are put into elevated roles. It seems that positions are filled without regard for how that individual will perform in such a role. Management, in general, is quite good at my location. The hardest parts of the job: perfection is the aim, and human-like qualities don't often serve well enough here. The work that we do is worth far more than what it is we get paid; we are the lowest-paying cosmetic retailer in the industry, and we lack a commission structure. Many of us have second and even third jobs, and find it difficult to do anything but barely survive on the wage we are given. The most enjoyable parts: gratis from brands, and the training and education that are provided by representatives for those brands. Also, getting to see that you've improved someone's mood with an interaction, in addition to feeling as though you've imparted knowledge and wisdom.

Pros

Gratis, training, certain client interactions

Cons

Insufficient pay, promoting unfit employees, some cattiness from staff

Decently fun job

Job is fun, however, management feels very entitled and plays favourites very hard. Refuses to give stable hours to any part time cast member. Free product is put in your bin very often.

Pros

Open availability, free gratis

Cons

Bad wage, unstable hours

Jobs at Sephora