Sephora Employee Reviews

Found 247 reviews matching the search See all 3,252 reviews
Terrible
Full time employee (Former Employee) –  Ontario19 March 2019
Starting out at Sephora my experience was great. We had an amazing management team, an amazing new store opening team was super positive and fun. Gratis, brand training was super exciting.
Fast forward a year later - new management takes over. This place went to absolute garbage There is NO work life balance what so ever especially being a cashier you were scheduled 9-10 hour shifts. Management was clueless and corrupt and literally did nothing to help there staff out, they would sit in the back chatting in the office, or leave ten times for smoke break, there were defiently stripes there.
Unfourtanate that my experience was ruined due to unprofessional management - be aware anyone who applies to this job make sure your bosses actually know how to run a store. Sephora can be a blessing or a curse.
Also being a full time cashier there was no chance of advancement for me. Not even a conversation which I found super unfair.
Pros
Gratis, Co-workers
Cons
Long hours, under appreciated, not paid enough
long hours shifts, low payments but great staff
Personal Beauty Adviser (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON28 February 2019
a great place to learn and have experience in cosmetic industries. however, the management dose not appreciate properly your hard work and the payment is not enough to cover your life.
Pros
free products
Cons
long hours, low payments
fun and stressful environment
Seasonal Cashier (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK26 February 2019
The job was fun but also stressful, lots of policies and very little room for error. Management was partially enjoyable although some often were mean.
Pros
experience
Cons
long hours of standing, no room for error, parking
Fun place to work at first gets old quickly
Cash coordinator (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC22 February 2019
A typical day at Sephora is clocking in and going to a "touch base" where you get your hourly schedule, company numbers and daily goals, events/training happening. You then proceed to your designated zone and perform daily tasks.

I learned a lot working here about cash handling, client interaction, management styles, training, and development if you work hard and have goals you can advance in the organization.

Management was good although favouritism was present often, a lot of cattiness or inappropriate leadership in some cases. Management was always approachable, however.

The hardest part of the job was dealing with clients and store cattiness and drama. The easiest part of the job was learning the cash processes.
Pros
Great team, lots of team building, learned a lot about beauty/skincare, potential to advance (if you put the work in), fast paced, free products
Cons
Do not uphold company values, drama all the time, clients are often times awful, physically and mentally draining, extremely low wages
LP run by operations
Regional Loss Prevention Analyst (Former Employee) –  Canada21 February 2019
Unfortunately it began as an excellent company and working environment but ended up taking experience and direction from operations rather than listening to the experts they hired to protect their assets. The people with the most stressful and dangerous job were not listened to and were asked to perform tasks that violated local legislation for proper apprehensions.
Pros
Free Product
Cons
LP run by ops managers
Fun workplace, but horrible management
Cashier (Former Employee) –  North York, ON20 February 2019
Overall, working at Sephora for the amount of time that I did was a great learning experience. Most people were sweet and fun to work with. The gratis most people talk about, isnt the best, its small samples that are almost expired... not to mention the management at the location I was working at was horrible! Rude, and they didnt care about the employees.. they only wanted to meet “bonus” . Overall i’d give working there around a 2.5-3 stars...
Pros
Cute uniform
All round amazing company
Cash Wrap Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 February 2019
As as seasonal I was not outcasted, everyone was extremely kind and welcoming even though I did not know very much about make up but a lot about customer service. The management is amazing, they are understanding, always warm and welcome, and human meaning they understand that things happen and are always open to talk about anything. The store structure is amazing and it is no surprise that this company is always thriving. I suggest this company to anyone as it is such a fantastic place to work.
good for people who want to get experience with makeup or skincare
Colour Consultant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON13 February 2019
definitely a sales job but a great way to get hands on experience with things like colour matching for all skin tones. Some product training, but mostly focused on the sales aspect. Over all culture was fun and there were some great perks, like meeting brand owners and getting gratis.
Pros
gratis, fun events
Cons
long hours, too much management
Good Company
Senior Artist (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC7 February 2019
Loved working here. It was my dream job for quite some time, getting to work in the makeup industry was so much fun and I learned a lot about all the worlds
Fun but demanding job
Colour consultant - retail (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON21 January 2019
Super fun, you learn a lot. Very demanding for what you're paid, and sort of impossible to earn more $. If you do want to move up, there's a lot of blanket statements and waiting around. Fun job, not really a career.
Pros
free stuff
Cons
demanding physically/mentally
A typical day
Customer service (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB16 January 2019
I found that my experience with Sephora, is that everyone was very nice and accommodating toward me. Everyone was willing to help me, no one was rude to me about asking more about a task, or about help with a client, everyone has each others back when working.

I learned how to process an online order, how to address a client and inquire about a product a client is looking for, and how to multitask with tasks given.

Management was great, all supervisors were well placed in their roles, all of them were professional when times called for it. But they also were amazing to talk to and I loved their love for the job that they do.

I have nothing bad to say about Sephora. It was a great place to work, and I made some great friends, and amazing people.
Pros
free lunches, amazing workplace, pay
Cons
Management and working conditions could be a lot better
BEAUTY STUDIO COORDINATOR (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB28 December 2018
Management hire very under experienced staff, then require experienced employees the responsibilities of training and educating newer staff.
Management has very unrealistic requirements for experienced staff, with little to no pay raises with higher expectations.
day at sephora
Internal Loss Prevention Officer (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON18 December 2018
working internal for sephora was fun and challenging at the same time. They train you to be successful at the workplace and test your professional skills
Terrible place to work.
Operations Consultant (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB15 December 2018
In my interview the HR rep raved about how awesome it was to work there, how nice everyone was and all the perks and opportunities to advance. After 3 months on the job I realized that it was all a lie. The Gratis that you earned can be taken away. And they never want to hire anyone full-time so they don't have to give you benefits. Co-workers were catty and fake, management was useless and it made going to work everyday absolutely awful. They don't care about their employees and they abuse labor laws.
Pros
Literally nothing
Cons
Absolutely everything
Great jumping off point for makeup artists
Education Lead (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 November 2018
Wonderful place to build and grow your skill set if you are new to the cosmetic industry.
It allows for training in all brands and opens opportunities if you are looking to pursue a career with a brand in the cosmetic industry or the arts.
only one possitive is gratis
Beauty Studio Captain (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON7 November 2018
management is awful, sneaky and catty.
I worked as beauty studio captain for 3 years and have never experienced so much gossip and negativity
everyone is underpaid and the company does not have your best interest at heart.
social status and popularity is a huge deal.
artistry is amazing but it is almost impossible to move up.
I learned a lot skill wise
they toss your personal purse items including makeup in the garbage if you bring them to work without your employee number on it or receipt
Pros
lots of artistry skills to learn
Cons
management is allowed to confiscate personal items
productive and new makeup skills done
Makeup Artist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 November 2018
Some clients may ask where particular products are located and i assist them to locate them and some clients ask for opinions on products and i give them general feedback. Some clients come to get their makeup done and i fulfil that.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
This is what it"s really like
Skin Care Consultant (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC24 October 2018
Sephora was certainly an interesting place to work. At first I loved it, because I got to talk about beauty all day and I got lots of free product and the discount. Everyone seemed nice at first, and I did make some good friends there. HOWEVER, If you are an individual who is opinionated, or likes to take action to change policies or rules you don't agree with DON'T WORK THERE. You have to have unpaid bag checks every time you leave the store even for lunches and 15 min breaks, which normally take at least 10-15 mins for a manager to come back to do it. The pay is terrible for the amount of effort you are pressured to put into the job.

The thing that bothered me the most is that I felt like I couldn't be myself at work. The clothes were unflattering and uncomfortable, I was overtly told to wear more and more makeup (which makes me uncomfortable) even though I worked in the skin care world, It was made nearly impossible to make complaints about the absurd amount of rules we had to abide by, and worst of all I was told how to speak to clients. I couldn't just talk to people like a genuine human being, and when I did behave like my normal self, I was then told every little thing I did wrong and how I need to sell more, add more to the basket, sell sell sell. They are watching you like a hawk at all times.

I was even given a poor performance review because I don't wear enough makeup, don't speak to clients in the "sephora way" (I talk to them in a real way), and because I missed 6 weeks of work when I got mono.

Final say: you have to ask to use the washroom. I feel
  more... like that says it all.  less
Amazing work-life balance and friendly enviroment
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 October 2018
Everyone is super friendly and helpful here!!! Since day one you can feel welcome. This helped me out to develop and learn skills that helped me out later on.
great culture
Co-Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 October 2018
Sephora has many positive values and believes in equality and growth in it's employees.
Although the work life balance that is stated needs more work.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sephora. Our community is ready to answer.

51.2K