Sephora Employee Reviews

Found 236 reviews matching the search See all 3,143 reviews
Management and working conditions could be a lot better
BEAUTY STUDIO COORDINATOR (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB28 December 2018
Management hire very under experienced staff, then require experienced employees the responsibilities of training and educating newer staff.
Management has very unrealistic requirements for experienced staff, with little to no pay raises with higher expectations.
day at sephora
Internal Loss Prevention Officer (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON18 December 2018
working internal for sephora was fun and challenging at the same time. They train you to be successful at the workplace and test your professional skills
Terrible place to work.
Operations Consultant (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB15 December 2018
In my interview the HR rep raved about how awesome it was to work there, how nice everyone was and all the perks and opportunities to advance. After 3 months on the job I realized that it was all a lie. The Gratis that you earned can be taken away. And they never want to hire anyone full-time so they don't have to give you benefits. Co-workers were catty and fake, management was useless and it made going to work everyday absolutely awful. They don't care about their employees and they abuse labor laws.
Pros
Literally nothing
Cons
Absolutely everything
Great jumping off point for makeup artists
Education Lead (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 November 2018
Wonderful place to build and grow your skill set if you are new to the cosmetic industry.
It allows for training in all brands and opens opportunities if you are looking to pursue a career with a brand in the cosmetic industry or the arts.
only one possitive is gratis
Beauty Studio Captain (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON7 November 2018
management is awful, sneaky and catty.
I worked as beauty studio captain for 3 years and have never experienced so much gossip and negativity
everyone is underpaid and the company does not have your best interest at heart.
social status and popularity is a huge deal.
artistry is amazing but it is almost impossible to move up.
I learned a lot skill wise
they toss your personal purse items including makeup in the garbage if you bring them to work without your employee number on it or receipt
Pros
lots of artistry skills to learn
Cons
management is allowed to confiscate personal items
productive and new makeup skills done
Makeup Artist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 November 2018
Some clients may ask where particular products are located and i assist them to locate them and some clients ask for opinions on products and i give them general feedback. Some clients come to get their makeup done and i fulfil that.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
This is what it"s really like
Skin Care Consultant (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC24 October 2018
Sephora was certainly an interesting place to work. At first I loved it, because I got to talk about beauty all day and I got lots of free product and the discount. Everyone seemed nice at first, and I did make some good friends there. HOWEVER, If you are an individual who is opinionated, or likes to take action to change policies or rules you don't agree with DON'T WORK THERE. You have to have unpaid bag checks every time you leave the store even for lunches and 15 min breaks, which normally take at least 10-15 mins for a manager to come back to do it. The pay is terrible for the amount of effort you are pressured to put into the job.

The thing that bothered me the most is that I felt like I couldn't be myself at work. The clothes were unflattering and uncomfortable, I was overtly told to wear more and more makeup (which makes me uncomfortable) even though I worked in the skin care world, It was made nearly impossible to make complaints about the absurd amount of rules we had to abide by, and worst of all I was told how to speak to clients. I couldn't just talk to people like a genuine human being, and when I did behave like my normal self, I was then told every little thing I did wrong and how I need to sell more, add more to the basket, sell sell sell. They are watching you like a hawk at all times.

I was even given a poor performance review because I don't wear enough makeup, don't speak to clients in the "sephora way" (I talk to them in a real way), and because I missed 6 weeks of work when I got mono.

Final say: you have to ask to use the washroom. I feel
  more... like that says it all.  less
Amazing work-life balance and friendly enviroment
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 October 2018
Everyone is super friendly and helpful here!!! Since day one you can feel welcome. This helped me out to develop and learn skills that helped me out later on.
great culture
Co-Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 October 2018
Sephora has many positive values and believes in equality and growth in it's employees.
Although the work life balance that is stated needs more work.
Fun Place
Receiving and Merchandising (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON16 October 2018
Worked here for a seasonal cashier position, had lots of fun. Met great people, got amazing gratis and learned a lot about the skincare and beauty industry.
Treated like a child
Skincare Consultant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 October 2018
It can be a fun job but exhausting at times. for the amount of work you put in you don't get paid very much. pay your cast members a more appropriate wage and don't treat us like children, were all adults.
Hard work for no reward
Colour Consultant - Current (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 October 2018
Expected to work hard and give 20000% for minimum wage and no raise increase all year. You have to act a certain way, look a certain way. You can't be yourslef
Pros
Great people
Cons
No money, labour work
Productive environment with great leadership
Fragrance Representative (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON1 October 2018
Sephora is a great place to work, it is a company that allows you to grow within your field of work such as Skin care, Color, or Fragrance. Sephora also values you as a cast they make sure to always let you know how much you mean to them and will go above and beyond to make sure your experience there as an employee is enjoyable.
Pros
Flexible shifts with dedicated hours
Cons
Must work on a weekend
Fun place
CONSULTANT (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 September 2018
fun fast environment, constantly learning, makeup up knowledge not necessary, will train you. Ability to sell and create client experience. Free makeup products
Pros
long lunches
Loved it
Cast Member (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC14 September 2018
Loved it hope to work there again! I unfortunately had a lot going on in my personal life and regrettably needed to leave. It was a lot of fun ! Games in the morning touch base, peers were out going, so fun catching a glimpse of all the new products before they drop
Busy
Skin Care Consultant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 September 2018
Sephora can be very busy, and very demanding. I loved the cast working there but the salary was far too low for the amount of work being done. I wish there was more room to grow in the company.
Terrible management
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK9 September 2018
Management was awful. They picked favourites and were rude to employees they didnt like or werent perfect. The older employees were very "cliquey". They made some of us stand in one place at the front of the store for 8hrs straight (with one 30 minute lunch break) for my first three days. My back and feet were in so much pain but i was not allowed to go to the back for a 5 minute break. There was one manager i worked with a few times and i asked them a question and they would always answer quite rudely. Actually all of the managers were very condescending.
You cant get caught talking to your coworkers about products because apparently customers dont like to see that. Well thats what i was told. Many times i would call for help with something but my coworkers were too busy talking and literally twerking in the middle of the store to help.
N/a
Operations (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC8 September 2018
i worked PT at sephora (though it was more full time hours.) Was a great learning experience in a goal driven retail environment. Teaches you how to push sales, offers cosmetic workshops. Perks are gratis (free products) as well as monthly bonuses if your team meets your monthly goal. (doesn't offer great healthcare/dental benefits for both PT or FT employees) Management disregards work/life balance.
nice friendly good place
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON5 September 2018
it was a good place to work the people are ok and the perks of the job are good if you love cosmetics and skin care it the place for you can be a little pricey
terrible for your self-esteem
Operations Consultant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC28 August 2018
I worked at a location for a year and a half; by the end I had developed a really unhealthy association between my appearance and my self worth. The store director constantly played favourites and if you were beautiful, it didn't matter if you were dependable or had a work ethic, you could get away with it. The push for you to have a elaborate full face of makeup, even working in the back, made me stress out even when I wasn't at work. They promote that they don't have commission but instead work on a store bonus - that's great! But instead they force the culture of up-selling to the point where it's uncomfortable. Overall, wouldn't recommend.
Pros
Free make-up
Cons
bad for mental health, unhealthy culture

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sephora. Our community is ready to answer.

51.2K