Sephora Employee Reviews

Amazing support
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 May 2018
Working at Sephora has been the most fun job I have ever had. There is amazing support within leadership and trainings. Gratis is amazing. I love how everyone is celebrated.
Overworked and underpaid
Colour Consultant (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON12 May 2018
Minimum wage is not enough for the amount of expectations and stress that is put on you during every shift. I have been working full time hours since I started there almost a year ago, but without the benefits of being an "official" full time employee. I do custom makeovers, mini makeovers, work at cash, in colour, fragrances, mini facials, and am paid the same as a cashier, which is minimum wage. Cashiers also deserve more pay. We are also pushed really hard to get our quarterly bonuses, which only amount to about $50 or less so it's really not worth the stress.

On a more positive note, I love most of the management team at my store, as well as the my coworkers. Everyone gets along really well, and the store managers don't act like they think they're above you. They will also work on the floor doing the same jobs as us for a good portion of the day. However, I can not say the same for the district manager. Another benefit of the job is the gratis you get every couple of months. You get a lot of full size products to try for yourself so you can tell the customers about them.
Pros
gratis, management
Cons
long hours, low pay, minimum wage
fun
Cashier and sales (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC8 May 2018
working at sephora allows for creativity and self expression. The work hours are flexible and the staff are friendly. there is room for growth in the company and there is a very good training system.
Favouritism gone wild!
Operations Consultant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 May 2018
When I was hired it took about a year for a new hire to become disillusioned and fall out of love with the company, now it only takes about two months.

Management is chosen based on favouritism and how much you suck up to the GM.

Many ideas at store level are half baked and run by a bunch of yes-men who would rather go along with whatever the manager thinks will work instead of speaking up. If you're the kind of person to ask questions and challenge foolishness you won't make it very far with the company.

Communication is also horrible, wether it's with the team, between management and sometimes with clients.

The only good thing about working at Sephora is that I have met some of the best and closest friends there. They can hire some incredible, talented and kind people who you might make a lifetime bond with. Your team will become your family.
Pros
Coworkers, benefits
Cons
long hours, under paid, under valued
amazing place to work
Product Consultant (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON4 May 2018
it was agreat place to work, you learn alot about makeup and skin care, as well as the discounts are amazing! very inclusive and energetic enviroment!
Not as amazing as everyone thinks
Operations Consultant (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC3 May 2018
Overall would not recommend. There is a lack of communication amongst managers, people feel like they are entitles, and the pay is worse than McDonald's but the work expectations are double. This does not apply to every location
Fun place to work out but pay is very low
Skin Care Consultant (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON22 April 2018
Super fun place to work if you're in school or college but unless you're planning on working in the beauty industry its not worth it.
Hard to advance and work long hours to receive recognition
Pros
Gratis
Cons
Long hours, Low pay
productive work place
Colour Consultant, Cashier (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC11 April 2018
A typical day would be clocking in, going into a "touchbase", which is basically a run down of how your day is mapped out for you based on each hour. Also a time where they critique your makeup.
Meh
Operations Consultant and Senior Skincare Advisor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 April 2018
Sephora is a great place to learn new skills and product knowledge to take to another job so you can grow and learn elsewhere. If you're looking to learn more abut makeup and skincare Sephora can help you obtain that knowledge.
Pros
Free products
Cons
Bad management
Fun, high paced workplace
Colour Consultant (Current Employee) –  Coquitlam, BC9 April 2018
There are many opportunities for advancement for committed full time employees, but not so much for part time. The management and staff are friendly and encouraging. The environment is very high paced and can be stressful at times.
Salaire
Artiste Principale (Current Employee) –  Laval, QC8 April 2018
Les salaires sont très bas comparativement aux compétiteurs.
Pros
Produits gratuits et formations
Cons
Salaire
Dont work at Sephora
Colour Consultant (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON6 April 2018
As a self taught makeup artist I have been in and out of Sephora an uncountable amount of times. It was my dream to work here for a long time. It was a long interview process that made the job seem like fun and that the team respected you. On my first day none of the cast welcomed me, they were pretty much all disrespectful and wanted nothing to do with the new hires. Further along in my career working here, I was shocked at the pettiness that was displayed by cast and management. The "constructive criticism" they claim to offer was condescending and demeaning. They don't care about your life outside of work, in fact, they would tell you to STOP talking about something that happened outside of work even if you were on BREAK. The pay is fine, but you don't get a raise when you're promoted unless you're promoted to a lead position which is garbage. Also, even if you've worked there for 6 months, they don't give leave of absences, (ie, going home from school for the summer) and they claim one of their values is "Work, Life balance", there is no job security for students. Overall I hated working here and resigned.
Pros
Culture days (free food and drinks), Gratis
Cons
Condescending team, no work life balance, no job security
Amazing Environment
Cashier & Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ON25 March 2018
Everyone is always super friendly and approachable. Never a dull moment loved how busy it always is. Management is always so understanding and helpful when it comes to schedules .
Pros
gratis, and friendly people
Cons
varying hours
best place to work
Fragrance Consultant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC22 March 2018
A company that prides itself on work life balance and team work. Supportive and initiative coworkers.
Wonderful, hygienic, creative and progressive environment
Creative
Skin Care Consultant (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON20 March 2018
Always busy, but always surrounded by amazing clients who have a passion for beauty in different ways. Using different products and learning about how they work gave me confidence to teach clients.
productive, effective, communication skills
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC19 March 2018
Experienced and qualified cashier with excellent communication skills. Engaging with clients along with processing transactions. Ability to promptly and correctly receive payments from customers and issue change due. Maintain the standards of cleanliness with understanding company policies with respect
Pros
free make up
Cons
busy store
Fun job, but kinda fake and pushy
Makeup Artist (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC17 March 2018
I liked working there at first, as a makeup artist it’s great for working on a really diverse clientele, but I find the job overall very fake and pushy. I have to cake on so much makeup (they rather you have a bunch of makeup on that doesn’t look good than minimal makeup to bring out features), and I find the whole vibe very condescending (especially coming from management and the lingo Sephora uses). The pressure to sell is also pretty high, which is irritating considering you don’t get commission. The free product is great though, I’d say for an aspiring makeup artist it is a great job to have considering you have access to the whole store of skincare/makeup to improve your artistry on any skin tone/type, and the free product is great for starting to stock your kit. However, I came into Sephora after already graduating secondary education for makeup and freelancing myself, and I find that there isn’t a lot of freedom/creativity that you can put into the makeups you are doing, ultimately you are advertising Sephora’s makeup/techniques/lifestyle so it makes growing your personal style almost impossible. You can advance in the company quite easily, almost to the point where it is pushed onto you, which is what happened to me. I have been having issues with work/life balance however, and will be leaving due to the scheduling leaving me no time to catch up in school, even after me bringing this up to them. Overall, I recommend Sephora for aspiring makeup artists/makeup lovers, just be prepared to have the “Sephora lifestyle” really pushed down your throat, along with minimum wage,  more... and no tips, when I would be charging $100+ usually for the services I provide at Sephora for minimum wage. I love the company, it just isn’t the job for me.  less
Pros
Free product, good discount(40% for Sephora collection 20% for everything else), easy to move up in company
Cons
High pressure to sell with no commission or tips, minimum wage, condescending management (my personal experience)
It's exactly how you think it's going to be
Colour Consultant/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 February 2018
What's there to say about Sephora that everyone hasn't heard of already? Oh yeah, nothing.

The job was great, the training was great, the gratis was great!

The managers were disgusting, the coworkers were catty, the customers entitled.
Pros
Tons of free cosmetics, adequate room for promotions, got to try out new makeup first
Cons
Unprofessional management, high school-like drama, entitled customers
Always busy and great benefits
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON25 February 2018
I worked as a cashier and this position was probably the best retail job I have ever had as a student. Great employee benefits and loved majority of my co workers. There's always something to do because it is located downtown. One of the things I didn't enjoy was standing in front of the store and greeting customers as it gets tiring and really boring quick. Loved half of the management!
Pros
Free lunches, gratis, working with make up
Cons
Rude customers
Overworked with small pay
Specialist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB21 February 2018
Sephora should be a great place to work in theory. But the pay isn’t worth your work load. It’s a “fun” place to work. But hard to afford to live sadly.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sephora. Our community is ready to answer.

51K