Sephora Employee Reviews

Busy
Skin Care Consultant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 September 2018
Sephora can be very busy, and very demanding. I loved the cast working there but the salary was far too low for the amount of work being done. I wish there was more room to grow in the company.
Terrible management
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK9 September 2018
Management was awful. They picked favourites and were rude to employees they didnt like or werent perfect. The older employees were very "cliquey". They made some of us stand in one place at the front of the store for 8hrs straight (with one 30 minute lunch break) for my first three days. My back and feet were in so much pain but i was not allowed to go to the back for a 5 minute break. There was one manager i worked with a few times and i asked them a question and they would always answer quite rudely. Actually all of the managers were very condescending.
You cant get caught talking to your coworkers about products because apparently customers dont like to see that. Well thats what i was told. Many times i would call for help with something but my coworkers were too busy talking and literally twerking in the middle of the store to help.
N/a
Operations (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC8 September 2018
i worked PT at sephora (though it was more full time hours.) Was a great learning experience in a goal driven retail environment. Teaches you how to push sales, offers cosmetic workshops. Perks are gratis (free products) as well as monthly bonuses if your team meets your monthly goal. (doesn't offer great healthcare/dental benefits for both PT or FT employees) Management disregards work/life balance.
nice friendly good place
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON5 September 2018
it was a good place to work the people are ok and the perks of the job are good if you love cosmetics and skin care it the place for you can be a little pricey
terrible for your self-esteem
Operations Consultant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC28 August 2018
I worked at a location for a year and a half; by the end I had developed a really unhealthy association between my appearance and my self worth. The store director constantly played favourites and if you were beautiful, it didn't matter if you were dependable or had a work ethic, you could get away with it. The push for you to have a elaborate full face of makeup, even working in the back, made me stress out even when I wasn't at work. They promote that they don't have commission but instead work on a store bonus - that's great! But instead they force the culture of up-selling to the point where it's uncomfortable. Overall, wouldn't recommend.
Pros
Free make-up
Cons
bad for mental health, unhealthy culture
Amazing place to work
Cashier/operations consultant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB25 August 2018
Sephora is one of the best jobs i have ever had. They have a lot to offer and are always looking for you to take control of your own career and take it where you wanna go with it. ive worked there about 5 months now and i'm just in the middle of moving to a new world that i think is really gonna help me grow and put me in a good place. Everyone at sephora is very caring and passionate i love eveything about it.
Horrible management, conditioning environment no room to grow
Colour Consultant (Current Employee) –  Greater Toronto Area, ON22 August 2018
The leads and managers at sephora are not equipped for their job, and use a superior tactic to get cast to listen to them as opposed to a leader tactic. They beat cast down until they are forced to submit, girls would cry every day from the way they were treated. Job itself was fine apart from the occasional crazy customer. Only employees who were favoured by leadership or were previously friends would become promoted. It is not a team environment, everyone is trying to get ahead. If you choose to work here, find some friends you can trust and stick with them.
They sell you on this amazing culture and then you find out it's all a hoax
Skin Specialist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 August 2018
Management favours and advances only people they like and people that work hard go unnoticed.

very disheartening when you work there and see the hipocracy

You get called out on the smallest things and get scolded but hard work goes unnoticed.

You can't even breathe without asking them! very regimented environment.

Nasty management, very two faced
Pros
Free catered food from companies and GRATIS (free products)
Cons
micro managed and lots and lots of rules
Client centric
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Sarnia, ON11 August 2018
Extremely value based company. Team members seamlessly worked fantastic together. Very client focussed. Rewarding company to work for. Innovative, your team was your family
Amazing work place to express individuality
Skin and Colour Consultant (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON30 July 2018
Sephora is a great place to work. I believe that almost every employee can say the same, regardless of some experiences that may occur the overall vibe of the company is fantastic. I loved working there and would not mind going back.

Want to know more about Sephora?

Ask a question
good
Colour consultant (Current Employee) –  Richmond, BC30 July 2018
great job experience ! great perks and good staff. Management needs a lot of help when it comes with helping and resolving employee concerns. other than that good job.
Not even pay for colour consultants
Cashier and Colour Consultant (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON28 July 2018
Not enough pay for the work colour consultants do. I loved the management and my co-workers but after 2 years of working for Sephora I was over it. We’re not allowed tips nor receive commission. I loved the clients however and helping people on finding their right product made me feel really good.
Pros
good management
Cons
pay is bad and not allowed tips
My most favorite job
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ON26 July 2018
Lets get the bad stuff out of the way first. Minimum wage, yes it sucks. However, I get excited to go to work every day. There are so many talented and inspiring cast members and brand ambassadors. The leadership team is fantastic too. Everyone is kind and wants to help you grow. You are always learning new things, meeting new people and being challenged. I love working at Sephora and hope to stay in the company as long as possible. Sephora is all about growth and work life balance. The cast members are amazing! It's also rewarding when you make a clients day. If makeup and beauty is your passion and you are a people person then this is a great place to work.
Pros
Gratis, celebtations, learning from peers, great work environment
Cons
Minimin wage (for now)
Recovery Position
Overnight Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 July 2018
Simple, manageable work .
heavy lifting, fast paced.
company has good values and culture.

Recovery position is under paid. No premium is given for Recovery postion.
Pros
gratis(free product) every month
Cons
minimum wage for overnight work
Fun Workplace
Color Consultant (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON7 July 2018
Very chill and fun workplace although it can get quite hectic! The only thing is the salary is pretty low in terms of how hard we work, but when you love your job, it doesn't matter all that much
Pros
Freebies, Free lunches, Amazing people, fun environment, good management
Cons
Long development, play favorites, poor pay
Great Place to work
Colour Cast Member (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC28 June 2018
Your hard work is always acknowledged and there is always a way to advance yourself in the company.Its a great place to work, and they believe in work life balance.
The worst place I have ever worked
Cash Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Coquitlam, BC15 June 2018
Management is extremely 'out to lunch' you could say. They do not care about their employees or the clients, all they care about is making budget and hitting service numbers (even though they don't ever have enough cast on the floor to make service numbers). I have been told to 'give 60%' while doing a custom makeover because we 'only have 60 minutes and they client wont know anyway' 'our 60% is their 100%'... Not sure what kind of service this is. Clients come to us and trust us to make them look amazing... so why would be give them 60% of our best. Its all about the money here, and the people really doing the work don't get any of it. Do yourself a favour and dont work here. Save yourself the trouble.
Pros
Free lunches, gratis, friendships
Cons
Management, salary, hours
If you're not in colour you're essentially invisible.
Fragrance Consultant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 June 2018
My section is constantly understaffed and never appreciated. It's usually one person taking care of a large section. I only receive my schedule less than 1 week in advance so it is terrible trying to plan your life around work. I feel as though I do not get paid enough for my position since I am constantly doing the work of two people for minimum wage. Management has been aggressive towards criticism from a variety of my coworkers even when they have asked for it. Some nice things include training from brands (if you can get into it), occasional free lunches provided by brands and gratis.
Pros
Gratis, Free lunches (sometimes), training on brands, great coworkers
Cons
long hours, low pay, low recognition, bad work life balance
Service à la clientèle impeccable
Conseillère en couleur (Former Employee) –  Laval, QC11 June 2018
Meilleure compagnie pour apprendre à développer le service à la clientèle.
be the best you
Makeup Artist (Current Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON6 June 2018
Great environment , diverse dynamic and tuns of fun sephora is a different time of zone to work in. A typical day of assisting clients can be so inspiring, teaching clients nips and tricks and everyday makeup.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sephora. Our community is ready to answer.

51.1K