Sephora Employee Reviews

The worst place I have ever worked
Cash Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Coquitlam, BC15 June 2018
Management is extremely 'out to lunch' you could say. They do not care about their employees or the clients, all they care about is making budget and hitting service numbers (even though they don't ever have enough cast on the floor to make service numbers). I have been told to 'give 60%' while doing a custom makeover because we 'only have 60 minutes and they client wont know anyway' 'our 60% is their 100%'... Not sure what kind of service this is. Clients come to us and trust us to make them look amazing... so why would be give them 60% of our best. Its all about the money here, and the people really doing the work don't get any of it. Do yourself a favour and dont work here. Save yourself the trouble.
Pros
Free lunches, gratis, friendships
Cons
Management, salary, hours
If you're not in colour you're essentially invisible.
Fragrance Consultant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 June 2018
My section is constantly understaffed and never appreciated. It's usually one person taking care of a large section. I only receive my schedule less than 1 week in advance so it is terrible trying to plan your life around work. I feel as though I do not get paid enough for my position since I am constantly doing the work of two people for minimum wage. Management has been aggressive towards criticism from a variety of my coworkers even when they have asked for it. Some nice things include training from brands (if you can get into it), occasional free lunches provided by brands and gratis.
Pros
Gratis, Free lunches (sometimes), training on brands, great coworkers
Cons
long hours, low pay, low recognition, bad work life balance
Service à la clientèle impeccable
Conseillère en couleur (Former Employee) –  Laval, QC11 June 2018
Meilleure compagnie pour apprendre à développer le service à la clientèle.
be the best you
Makeup Artist (Current Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON6 June 2018
Great environment , diverse dynamic and tuns of fun sephora is a different time of zone to work in. A typical day of assisting clients can be so inspiring, teaching clients nips and tricks and everyday makeup.
An above-average retail setting.
Operations/Skincare Consultant (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BC5 June 2018
There are high, and immediate, expectations in this environment. Employees are constantly being asked to do more and better than the day before. While this is wonderful for growth, at a certain point, it becomes overwhelming. Standards change nearly as often as the clientele.

Overall, those that work here are friendly with one another. There is definite improvement needed in many cast members that are put into elevated roles. It seems that positions are filled without regard for how that individual will perform in such a role.

Management, in general, is quite good at my location.

The hardest parts of the job: perfection is the aim, and human-like qualities don't often serve well enough here. The work that we do is worth far more than what it is we get paid; we are the lowest-paying cosmetic retailer in the industry, and we lack a commission structure. Many of us have second and even third jobs, and find it difficult to do anything but barely survive on the wage we are given.

The most enjoyable parts: gratis from brands, and the training and education that are provided by representatives for those brands. Also, getting to see that you've improved someone's mood with an interaction, in addition to feeling as though you've imparted knowledge and wisdom.
Pros
Gratis, training, certain client interactions
Cons
Insufficient pay, promoting unfit employees, some cattiness from staff
bon travail en général pour les étudiants et les patronné
Conseillère en couleur, soins et fragrance (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC5 June 2018
bon travail en général pour les étudiants et les patronné
Fun and great experience
Makeup Artist (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB4 June 2018
Fun great experience, long tearm if your willing to move to say Toronto but to stay in Winnipeg at the moment not a lot of movement. And there’s more work than amount of pay earned.
Pros
Lots of fun experience
Cons
Not enough pay
Fast paced
Sales/Beauty Advisor/ Makeup artist/Senior Artist (Former Employee) –  Canada30 May 2018
Intensive work hours
mostly selling products/makeup applications mostly on weeked and during the grad/wedding seasons
expected a lot for a retail job
lots of trainings and gratis which is nice
Pros
gratis
Cons
long hours changing management
Amazing place to work at
Seasonal Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON30 May 2018
Everyone is so kind and inviting, always there to help you out.
They have special work contest during the christmas seasons, which bring out your creative side.
Decently fun job
Colour Consultant (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BC28 May 2018
Job is fun, however, management feels very entitled and plays favourites very hard. Refuses to give stable hours to any part time cast member. Free product is put in your bin very often.
Pros
Open availability, free gratis
Cons
Bad wage, unstable hours
Bad
Cash Manager/ Consultant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 May 2018
Was told to smile all the time despite being paid and treated poorly sexist critical environment not positive understaffed and overworked would not reccomend
Flexible Hours But Rude Coworkers
Operations Associate (Former Employee) –  Surrey15 May 2018
I worked as an operations associate, and worked Monday-Friday 5am-1pm. The hours were fantastic, and I was included with monthly bonuses staff would receive for meeting sales goals. Unfortunately, almost all coworkers would disregard all the work I had done and would make messes or everything I would do on a daily basis. I would also feel bullied by my immediate coworkers (the ones in my department) and would feel like I wasn't able to do my job properly because I would be trying to avoid them. The whole store was quite "catty" or "cliquey" which made my shifts quite stressful and unenjoyable. They would also play favourites with their friends, which made me feel like even though I would do a good job and showed a lot of determinations and leadership, the staff who were friendly with the supervisors got more promotions and opportunities than I would. I would not work here again unless I was put into a supervisor position because otherwise you don't get treated well or respected.
Pros
Monthly bonuses
Cons
Not a nice work environment
Amazing support
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 May 2018
Working at Sephora has been the most fun job I have ever had. There is amazing support within leadership and trainings. Gratis is amazing. I love how everyone is celebrated.
Overworked and underpaid
Colour Consultant (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON12 May 2018
Minimum wage is not enough for the amount of expectations and stress that is put on you during every shift. I have been working full time hours since I started there almost a year ago, but without the benefits of being an "official" full time employee. I do custom makeovers, mini makeovers, work at cash, in colour, fragrances, mini facials, and am paid the same as a cashier, which is minimum wage. Cashiers also deserve more pay. We are also pushed really hard to get our quarterly bonuses, which only amount to about $50 or less so it's really not worth the stress.

On a more positive note, I love most of the management team at my store, as well as the my coworkers. Everyone gets along really well, and the store managers don't act like they think they're above you. They will also work on the floor doing the same jobs as us for a good portion of the day. However, I can not say the same for the district manager. Another benefit of the job is the gratis you get every couple of months. You get a lot of full size products to try for yourself so you can tell the customers about them.
Pros
gratis, management
Cons
long hours, low pay, minimum wage
fun
Cashier and sales (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC8 May 2018
working at sephora allows for creativity and self expression. The work hours are flexible and the staff are friendly. there is room for growth in the company and there is a very good training system.
Favouritism gone wild!
Operations Consultant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 May 2018
When I was hired it took about a year for a new hire to become disillusioned and fall out of love with the company, now it only takes about two months.

Management is chosen based on favouritism and how much you suck up to the GM.

Many ideas at store level are half baked and run by a bunch of yes-men who would rather go along with whatever the manager thinks will work instead of speaking up. If you're the kind of person to ask questions and challenge foolishness you won't make it very far with the company.

Communication is also horrible, wether it's with the team, between management and sometimes with clients.

The only good thing about working at Sephora is that I have met some of the best and closest friends there. They can hire some incredible, talented and kind people who you might make a lifetime bond with. Your team will become your family.
Pros
Coworkers, benefits
Cons
long hours, under paid, under valued
amazing place to work
Product Consultant (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON4 May 2018
it was agreat place to work, you learn alot about makeup and skin care, as well as the discounts are amazing! very inclusive and energetic enviroment!
Not as amazing as everyone thinks
Operations Consultant (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC3 May 2018
Overall would not recommend. There is a lack of communication amongst managers, people feel like they are entitles, and the pay is worse than McDonald's but the work expectations are double. This does not apply to every location
Fun place to work out but pay is very low
Skin Care Consultant (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON22 April 2018
Super fun place to work if you're in school or college but unless you're planning on working in the beauty industry its not worth it.
Hard to advance and work long hours to receive recognition
Pros
Gratis
Cons
Long hours, Low pay
productive work place
Colour Consultant, Cashier (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC11 April 2018
A typical day would be clocking in, going into a "touchbase", which is basically a run down of how your day is mapped out for you based on each hour. Also a time where they critique your makeup.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sephora. Our community is ready to answer.

51K