Sensity Deafblind and Sensory Support Network of Canada

Sensity Deafblind and Sensory Support Network of Canada Employee Reviews

Canada12 reviews
Don’t Waste Your Time!
This company has an amazing training department and program within their main office area in Paris. Your actual work environment is not so amazing. The environment is very toxic and there is no shortage of criticism. The company preaches change BUT change comes from removing the problem first. You deal with being short staffed on a regular basis and instead of encouragement the staff invite negativity and spite!
I enjoy working here
This is a busy work environment. The people supported have very busy lives and we are on the go from the start of shift to the end of shift doing all kinds of things: supporting ADL's, learning about consumers and supporting their communication and independence, lots of programming and activities. We do a ton of fun things with the consumers and we get paid for it. Camping, hiking, Disney on Ice, music therapy, pet therapy, crafts, hockey games, etc. The team I work with is amazing and our supervisor is very supportive and a great mentor. I love the apartment I work in and I don't plan on leaving.

The hardest part of the job is shift work but that comes with this line of work. Management is trying to show more appreciation for the staff and the new employee recognition stuff is really good.
Pros
Wage, benefits, paid vacation
Cons
Shift work
fun Work Place and Great Co-Workers
This was a very great place to work. The people I worked with were amazing. We support individuals called consumers and it is so rewarding to see them develop and become more independent! I worked in a group home and the team worked well together. They offer training on the go if needed cause I was worried about sign language before starting, but honestly it was easy to pick up and the consumer new how to teach it to me.
Would recommend working here to anyone as long as you like working with people. Sorry I had to move away and leave, but I was told once I am back in the province to apply again and they would take me back on.
Pros
Benefits for Part-time, RRSP matching and apid mileage
Rewarding
The individuals supported are amazing, love being a part of their lives, supporting their goals and helping them grow, and there are all kind of exciting opportunities and activities offered throughout the year for staff and consumers. The agency offers a lot of intervention specific and on-going training. I have felt very supported by my coworkers and supervisors. I look forward to coming to work and making a difference in someone’s life and I get paid to do so many fun activities with the individuals like going to concerts, the zoo, camping, music therapy, honestly doesn’t feel like a job.
I honestly don’t understand some of the reviews on this site that aren’t positive, or how people can’t truly love this job because it’s the best!
Very poor experience and it’s very unfortunate
Majority of the management staff needs to be cleaned out and kicked to the curb. They are the number one problem as to why so many people are resigning, or being forced out, due to their lack of respect for their employees. I could go on forever about how horrible of a place it is to work just due to management alone, but I don’t want to put that negativity on anyone else. The consumers are amazing though!
Employees are disrespected and treated very poorly
Run. Out of all the support agencies I've worked for, this one is by far the worst. In family programs, the families are allowed to treat employees like garbage and management does little to nothing about it. You're basically told to suck it up and make it work.
Long story short, I went on maternity leave, and two months before the end of it, I was told that I was getting transferred to another program 2 hours away from my home and my family, without my consent, and I was never given a reason why. I either had to drop everything and move my family 2 hours away, or I had to commute 2 hours in the snow belt to get to work, where I was offered even less hours than I originally had at my previous placement.

I begged them to find something closer, because I could not make it work, and I needed the money to support my daughter and help pay the bills. But it was physically impossible with a one year old baby, no daycare lined up and the small amount of money I would be making to commute 2 hours to work a 5 hour shift. They tried to accommodate me at the new location, but because of the policy stating that the families get the final say (which I think REALLY needs to be revised), there wasn't much else that could be done and this new location was my only option.

I was essentially forced to quit.
Poor
Found the home I tried to work in to be dirty and outdated. Management didn’t care that I was trying to come out of school and need to adjust to my schedule as a pt student and try to work for income to survive. Found the worker slash client interaction to be abit non reasonable
Strong concerns
My experience in working for this organization was most concerning and I would not recommend the opportunity to anyone else. They recently underwent a name change so the previous reviews posted are no longer visible. Sadly, changing a name does not change a culture. The organization was recently unionized as well.

I had a positive experience with the training department at head office as the training is thorough and comprehensive. I also felt thankful to meet the people I was able to support. They are truly some of the most incredible people I have ever met.

Unfortunately, the culture that I experienced was abhorrent. There are ongoing recruitment and retention issues that meant continual staffing crises. I experienced bullying behaviour and could no longer be a part of a toxic work environment. I would not advise to anyone that they apply to this organization if they are seeking a positive and professional work culture.
Pros
Training
Cons
Toxic work environment
A great place to work
The individuals supported are amazing people- the service model here is excellent and allows them to lead very independent lives. The staff work hard and there are lots of hours for pick up. Excellent training program. Paid vacation and 4 paid sick days plus benefits for PT and FT staff.
Rewarding place to work
Very rewarding place to work, many helpful and caring individuals. Many opportunities to expand knowledge. Very supportive environment for employees and consumers.
Staff really care about the consumers and truly want to make a positive difference in their lives
Consumers-amazing to work with
Staff-care and want to make a difference

iSC-supportive, hard working, positive

Management-supportive, helpful, present and understanding

Schedules-shift work isn’t great but the team works together and the ISC/manager open to suggestions for improvement.

Training-excellent program
Honestly...a lot of wasted potential
This company doesn’t care about it’s front line employees, and demonstrates it at every turn. I was really excited to work here, but instead I feel unsupported and in some cases, unsafe. Management is secretive, manipulative, dishonest, impossible to get in touch with (emails go unanswered, phone calls not returned)...

They are currently experiencing a staffing crisis, and as an employee, it’s not hard to understand why. Treat your employees with a bit of decency and respect.
Pros
Wonderful clients, good coworkers
Cons
Terrible schedules, lack of support from supervisors and managers, poor communication, overall ignorance and lack of respect
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sensity Deafblind and Sensory Support Network of Canada. Our community is ready to answer.
2.8