Semiahmoo House Society

Semiahmoo House Society Employee Reviews

they are an ever evolving place to work that is adapting to the needs of the residents in their care and trying to make them more involved in the community. they listen to ideas that staff bring with an open mind and willingness to implement the idea if it is suitable.
A rewarding career opportunity assisting those with development disabilities. The day starts with reviewing the residents support logs and then going through the day assisting them with their daily activities and goals.
I usually assist employment specialists in planning and creating fun and engaging activities for clients. I learned to interact with people with cognitive disabilities/ how to communicate in both a casual and formal way. Our management is good; they are supportive and help to maintain a work-life balance. The workplace culture is a family-like culture where you will not feel nervous or stressed. The hardest part was to handle to clients because some of them were very sensitive and they need extra care and attention. The most enjoyable part was to create activities and doing them.
A good place to start especially if you are interested in working with individuals who face physical as well as mental disabilities. I only worked there for a summer term that was funded by the Canadian government but during the time I was employed there, I learned a lot about myself and the people I worked with.
Participants are welcoming, friendly. Well maintained facility and plenty of activities to do. This is one of the few environments that you can work in where most people (the participants) will not judge you. Come as you are, if you are a decent person with reasonable traits and go-with-the-flow attitude, you will have no issues. Some staff have cliques but that is common at work sites.
Pros
Great participants, fun activities, really rewarding
great hours great people great team great clients very organized most people i met there had worked here for at least 5 years. a diverse collection of people work here and all were very welcoming.
Pros
day programs are like fun not work
Lots of events for the kids that go there and it is a lot of fun to take part in setting up the events as well as talk to all the different people. Would definitely recommend.
Management genuinely cares about their employees. The most enjoyable part is that you get to take part in some really fun activities. The hardest part is that you have to be very adaptable to change as anything can happen. This review only pertains to the Personal Development Program. I can't speak for any of the other programs.
Pros
Regular hours (7am-2:30pm)
Cons
No actual breaks unless you smoke
Taking care of mentally and nonverbal individuals all on wheelchair ,I learn every day new things from them by taking care , my co-workers are very nice and very help full with new and old staffs. the hardest part of the job is nothing for me because I love to work in the type of fields. the most enjoyable part of the job is to socialized with individuals spending time with them.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
8 hrs
Provide support to people with physical and menthal dissability. every day we learned something different, every day was a challenge my coworkers they where very supportive people the hardest part of the job is seen clients died the most enjoyable is seen the clients have fun doing any outhing or activity.
Pros
outhings and recreations activities