Selkirk College Employee Reviews

See reviews about:
Wonderful Place to Work!
FOOD SERVICE WORKER (Former Employee) –  Castlegar, BC25 March 2018
I enjoyed working at this job. My coworkers were wonderful, and there was always something to do. I learned many new skills and and was able to increase my knowledge about banquets and food service. I was part-time/casual and was able to work around a busy school schedule.
Productive and fun workplace
Nursing Laboratory Assistant (Current Employee) –  Castlegar, BC14 January 2018
A friendly and nurturing workplace in the nursing laboratory. The instructors from the nursing department who uses the laboratory are very kind and considerate.
Residential Assistant - Great atmosphere and work culture
Residential Assistant (Current Employee) –  Nelson, BC11 October 2017
The atmosphere and work culture are both great in their own ways, from a work - life stand point. My typical work is getting home from school and going on shift from 4 to 11, doing a round of the building every hour to ensure the safety of the residents.
Pros
Free Rent
Cons
Long nights
Amazing faculty and good pay but long hours and no job security
ESL Instructor (Current Employee) –  Castlegar, BC16 July 2017
Selkirk College is a rural college serving the Kootenay region in British Columbia. It mainly focuses on providing hands-on training for trades and technical professions but it also offers a variety of university courses to students who wish to transfer to a university program after 2 years at Selkirk. The Castlegar Campus where I work is located at the meeting point of Columbia and Kootenay rivers, which offers breathtaking views! But the best part of working at this institution are the highly educated and cordial faculty members They help each other with warm simplicity and some special rural solidarity I have not seen during my teaching years in Toronto.
Pros
Beautiful location, amazing colleagues and high wages.
Cons
Long teaching hours with little room for preparation time and low job security.
An opportunity to work on campus
Videographer (Former Employee) –  Castlegar, BC19 February 2017
Selkirk College gives students an opportunity to work on campus. The administration gathered a team of students who like making videos and gave them a project to work on, which is great because it helps students to distract from their studying and just do what they like.
Productive and fun workplace.
Gym Attendant (Former Employee) –  Nelson, BC2 July 2016
Interacting with patrons at the front desk and on the phone, sharing information on the gym and membership rates with new visitors and answering questions and managing check-in and check-out procedures for existing members and guests. Also educating members who seek information about gym hours, available equipment and classes, and other items.
Pros
Meeting new people, Fun environment
Friendly atmosphere
Facebook Editor (Current Employee) –  Nelson, BC24 February 2015
Working as a Facebook Editor is quite a challenging task, It is a creative task.I have to keep myself updated with daily news and upcoming events, Fun is in learning new tools and designs.I learned my way through every odds and i am proud to say I have achieved the number of viewer we where looking for.
Atmosphere is very friendly, my boss is like my friend, I can as any questions any time
Every day was fun filled my college is like my second home.
Pros
work from home
Cons
Non
Organizing activities, preparing equipments.
Volunteer Gym staff (Former Employee) –  Castlegar, BC20 March 2014
Front desk. Organizing activities. Preparing equipments. Cleaning entrance and gym.
Great experience, great instructors.
Peer Tutor (Former Employee) –  Castlegar, BC25 April 2013
My experience as a peer tutor for international students was wonderful and rewarding.