Select Medical Connections

Select Medical Connections Employee Reviews

Positive : Pay is good, paying weekly; Coordinators are supportive; Negative: lucky if you are placed in the hospital where agency nurses are welcomed and wanted, usually it’s not; agency nurse will always get worst assignments. Sometimes have to walk 20 min to the hospital, think of daily rain in BC No benefits and no pension
Great company to work for and my recruiter is always there to help me through any issue whether it is work related or travel related. They will accommodate the areas that I request to work in and ensure the facilities are safe and within my scope of practice.
I love travel nursing with select, paid weekly, yearly license reinbursment, travel expenses paid and accomadations provided get to travel across canada many LPN opportunities
Pros
Travel, good wage, good OT, easy paperwork, good experience
Cons
Hard with a family at home
Awesome company. Quick to respond, helpful and direct. Go out of their way to connect with their employees. Always willing to do the best for their employees.
There were always assignments available when I was looking to work. My recruiter was always helpful and kept in good communication. The pay system was easy enough, just snap a picture of your timesheet and email it in. I never had any issues with accommodations but I have met other nurses who have.
I had some difficulty trusting this company because what they say and what they do can be completely different. Ensure your recruiter documents everything clearly in your contract so you can hold them legally accountable should it come to it.
19 February 2020
We are sorry to hear about your experience with Select Medical Connections. I welcome you to please reach out to Melanie (the owner) at 604-484-6355 as we are not aware of any situations like this currently and we would like to resolve this for you.
Absolutely love working with SMC. Recruiters are wonderful, very supportive and work hard to find you the best assignments possible. Need to be able to adapt well and jump in; learn quick. But pay and also the travel opportunities are well worth it.
I have worked for Select Medical Connections for 3 years in Saskatchewan remote communities. My accommodations were very good and close to my work place. Unfortunately, I did not have a vehicle and was confined to the community so I was not able to explore beyond walking. This was a disadvantage for me, but it did not impede my willingness and enjoyment of working in these places.
Great recruiter, friendly, professional, easily accessible, understanding Great company to work for! Highly recommended, if travel contract nursing is what you are seeking
I did 4 assignments with Select, and regret it. Other companies manage issues so much more professionally and timely than Select. They only provided accommodation for some of my time during my last contract, and left me to find my own accommodation for others, then when I submitted receipts for a motel, they refused to pay it. I brought up 2 concerns in my time with Select and both, they were accusatory, rude, and did not support the nurses. I have had nothing but negative experiences, specifically with the owner of the company Melanie. I would not recommend this company to anyone. They definitely do not have the best interest of the nurses in mind. When I had a concern for my personal safety in a remote assignment, they did nothing to help, and were extremely unsupportive.
Cons
Unsafe
31 January 2020
We apologize for your negative experience working with Select Medical Connections. We pride ourselves in taking care of our nurses and always consider the needs and safety of our nurses when finding a placement. We appreciate you reaching out to us and are glad that we came to a resolution before you finished your contract with us.
I have worked for all of the travel companies within Canada, and some within the US over the last 10 years. This is by far the worst travel company I’ve worked for. They will squeeze every dollar out of you, knowingly put you in unsafe situations, living arrangements, etc. When you call and ask for assistance to the office, they are rude and unhelpful. I’ve heard them speak rudely about other travel nurses on the phone when accidentally not pressing hold before a transfer. They have left me in assignments without accommodations (even though they were discussed in contract), changed the wages mid assignment to less than what they had initially had written in a contract, they do not follow up with safety concerns on the floors appropriately. If you decide to work with Select make sure that you document everything (even outside of working hours), because they won’t support you if anything goes wrong.
Pros
Travel company
Cons
Unsupportive management
31 January 2020
Thank you for your feedback! It is always our practice that when you are on assignment with Select Medical Connections, accommodations are provided free of charge for the extent of each assignment. We take the safety of our nurses very seriously and deal with concerns immediately when they are brought to our attention. All of our nurses are protected by Employment Standards and WCB wherever they work. We apologize that your experience with us did not meet your expectations and we hope to do better in the future!
Caring and helpful recruiters. Putting the nurse first and ensuring their safety and well being. Great contract locations readily available if something goes wrong.
Select Medical connections helps find opportunities across Canada for any area of nursing. They are easy to deal with and help sell you as a nurse to their clients. They provide very good info regarding nursing contracts. Highly recommend this company if interested in travel nurse experiences.
Sometimes difficult to have the recruiter meet my needs. Sometimes job placements felt like slave labour. But other times job placements were great and I had a great time. It's a hit and miss.
I have worked as a travel nurse under contract with Select Medical Connections for the past year. I have completed 3 assignments with them and found it to be a good experience. The recruiters were very good and always had everything well organised.
Over the past year and a half I have done 3 contracts. I havebeen able to travel and work at the same time. It has been a great experience. Contracts are flexible.
Good company with contracts available to suite your needs. Supportive staff. Funding for education is required by you. No benefits, or pension. Overall great opportunity to travel, and work concurrently.