Securitas Canada Employee Reviews

Decent Place to work Short Term
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON11 February 2019
If you are looking to get into Security, Securitas is a decent place to start. This is not a long term company for anyone looking for advancement. The Ottawa office is all about nepotism so if you are not related or close to someone within the office you will not progress. Site supervisors and mobile patrollers are also picked based on who they know. Some sites like all companies are better then others but there is little management involvement in any site unless there is a major on going issue (never dealt with right away).
There is no training past your first security training even if it is needed for the site you are on which is another downside because again there is no advancement.
Pros
Decent benifits for full time employees
Cons
Average Pay, little to no union representation, No on-going training
Big company, ethics very good.
Site Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC9 February 2019
This is big company, lots of opportunity in many countries. Advancement is possible, but they are very lean, so you would probably have to move to get the job you want, as local management positions are very few. The only reason I left was due another offer. I should have waited as the position I wanted opened up shortly after I left. I'm planning to go back.
Pros
lots of work
Cons
wages not so great.
Don’t waste your time
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON6 February 2019
The company is basically hiring anyone that is showing up for interview, there is not even a real “interview “ , you get hired on the spot , and they basically scam you , don’t ever waste your time here , and the management is just awful and unprofessional.
Cons
Great job for a single person with no social life
Assistant Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON29 January 2019
Very long hours, no set shifts. On call 24/7/365. Pay was decent and they offer opportunities to advance. This job is not suited for someone who wants a family life or social life. Doesn't take long to get burned out in this job.
Pros
benefits, good salary, learned valuable skills
Cons
long hours, no room for life outside of work, on call all the time
Terrible Company on the decline.
Security Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS17 January 2019
Bad, Bad, Bad. No redeeming qualities. This company fails to realize that is is the guard force that keeps revenue flowing. The guards with the company go to the mat and do whatever is needed to service the clients which employ us, and we get no support in return.
Chew you up and spit you out. Panic at the last minute when you decide to leave and continue to disrespect you the whole time.
Cons
Long hours, staffing issues
Unpredictable
Security Officer (Part Time) (Former Employee) –  John Abbott8 January 2019
A typical day at work would start with a debriefing from my superior. Then I would read the memos pertaining to today's activities while eating my dinner. Soon after, I would start a patrol in some of the buildings to detect any damaged equipment while the maintenance staff was still around. Then I would verify the temperatures of the fridges and freezer in the cafeteria. I would continue patrolling for 1-2 hours while unlocking/locking doors according to the memos. Then, I would take a pause in the office while still be available to answer the phone and anyone showing up at the office window and while writing my reports. Yet again, I could be dispatched anytime for an emergency (medical, fire, intrusion, extreme temperature) or someone who needs a door to be opened/locked. I would continue my patrols and make sure to include another verification of the fridges and freezer in the cafeteria. At this point, I would disarm the alarms for the cleaners to get in those rooms without triggering an alarm. Then, I would start locking all the exterior doors of the buildings and go back to the office to finish writing my reports.

It was an unpredictable job. Some days could be very quiet to the point where it was boring and some days could be crazy crazy busy.
Pros
Always something new to learn; diversified tasks
Cons
Lack of time/personnel; a big area to cover
A good place to start career
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 December 2018
Securitas is a good company, have pretty good sites and health benefits and has union benefits too. Good staff and provide flexible shifts. Very strict in terms of uniform and time managment
overall okay experience
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON22 December 2018
needed more hours, good people to work with. work in different areas, day or night time shifts. long hours but steady work. its a job and a decent job at that.
Pros
meet good people
I love my location
SECURITY GUARD (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON3 December 2018
My supervisor is the best to work with, he is understandable and treats everyone equal and fair,
my co-workers are always willing to teach you and don't overreacts when mistakes are made.
Company with a objective to screw there own staff
Mobile Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON1 December 2018
There is no life working as a mobile patrol for this company specially in Cambridge. Wage 15 an hour with more responsibilities, role and headache. Each day mobile driver will drive for more than 350 km. This branch doesn’t celebrate Christmas or any other festive, no bonuses, no treats, no events. Mobile is being treated as a useless persons. Make them run all over the place. If you take your concern to field supervisor, she will say mobile manager is the one to talk too, if you go to mobile manager she will end the conversation saying the guy in Toronto controls us. Also if you are running late ending the shift, then you won’t even get paid, and the reason stated that you wasted the time coming back to office. That’s how they treat mobile staff. You will run for them on road each day without considering the weather and road conditions, get insulted from vagrants on job sites, and at last you will be nothing for this branch.
Poor job environment, base pay, even guards earn more than us sitting at one place for 12 hours.
Pros
None and don’t expect anything from them
Cons
There is no pros hence many cons
Think twice before you join Cambridge mobile
Security Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON21 November 2018
Joined this company in the month of June, submitted resignation in sept, 18. With this company you will hit more than 350 Km per shift with a regular wage of 15$.
Even guard make more than mobile with less responsibilities, no driving risk and less hassle. Increment in salary won’t take place and that’s the reason you will also see one recent posting on indeed.
Also if you take your concerns with mobile manager or supervisor they will just end with the conversation saying nothing can be done as everything is decided by Toronto main man. He is smart, his own guys make more than 16 but in Cambridge mobile staff is left with a same wage, giving a non logical statement “ Cambridge KW is a small area to serve.

So I would say be a field supervisor atleast you will make more than 16 you just need to park your mobile car and have a slice of pizza inside the site. Hence less travelling, less work.

Also, you will be kicked out once they have proper staff even with small mistakes.

So think before you join. Hope this will help you while deciding a career in security
Pros
Cons
Less wage more running on road
Terrible company to work for
Guard (Current Employee) –  Ottawa region18 November 2018
Struggle to get even basic uniforms for the site, they dont even provide jackets for people who have outside patrols and they have had 7 month to get them.
Pros
Cons
Management and pay
Joke
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NB7 November 2018
I worked 2 shifts for this company in total that amounted to 20 hours of work. Apparently they are so bad at math that I was short 6.5 hours on my pay. The first shift I worked, employees complained about missing hours on multiple occasions. Something shady going on here.
Pros
Cons
donated my own time to orientation without pay, missing hours on pay, treated as a sub-human
Environnement changeant
Agent de sécurité (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC31 October 2018
Jy suis employé à temps partiel et j'ai des contrats très souvent.
Pros
Compétitif
Cons
Communication avec les employés
life sucked out of me working for this company
Mobile Security Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON31 October 2018
I worked for this company for 8 months on the mobile divisions and was used and abused worked 12 hour shifts with no time to eat lunch would be driving 450 kilometres a day for $15 an hour and would get constantly bullied by mobile manager and mobile Superviser if they think something wasnt done properly they dont check to verify they will just mold you into the ground instead lack of people skills this branch struggled with employees when i started and i would pickup extra shifts knowing they needed the help and in the end they have nothing nice to say or do for you please stay clear from this company unless you like your life made miserable
Pros
Absolutely Nothing
Cons
Long hours uncompetitive wages poor employee respect
Great Beginning
CBC Toronto Security Dispatcher / Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON25 October 2018
Securitas was my first security job. They took a chance on a neophyte who at the time had no security experience. Through them, I rose from a casual security patrol guard to a full-time security dispatcher for a Canadian staple. It remains close to my heart to this day. I would recommend this company.
Reputable and respectable company
Area Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON16 October 2018
Overall very good company to work for. Unionized, good benefits, free uniform, responsive and caring management. Tons of over time opportunity and advancement
Pros
Free uniforms, training, promotions, opportunities
Cons
Very difficult place to work
Security officer (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS2 October 2018
I had previously worked for Securitas Canada for five months in 2003-04 and returned to Canada knowing that I had a job. I began working for them in 2015, was promoted a month later and my life was controlled by my job. The scheduling managers would constantly call me in to work in my days off, my pay was constantly incorrect and one manager in particular felt it was his duty to humiliate and bully me until I was unable to do my job as a supervisor and driver. Eventually I ended up as a regular guard with no prospects. When my guard renewal license application was misplaced and I was stuck at home for a week without, I gave my notice.
Pros
Health benefit
Cons
Long hours, stressful working environment
Friendly Workplace
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB11 September 2018
Workloads were manageable; Immediate supervisor was a nice person and a good leader; Great clients and happy co-workers. Need to run night shifts sometimes.
Pros
Manageable workloads
Cons
Shifts
Great
Security Supervisor & Loss Prevention Investigator (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON4 September 2018
Work your shift
observe and report
offer quality customer service
maintain security duties and a good environment
observing and reporting everything that happens
putting in a full days work and making sure things get done properly
Pros
time and a half
Cons
extra hours available

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Securitas Canada. Our community is ready to answer.