Secure Energy Services Employee Reviews

Good company but all the wrong people in the wrong places ....
operator (Current Employee) –  Edson, AB7 November 2018
3 categories :

Wage / Benefits: Benefits are really reasonable with this company and they do very well in terms of what they have to offer an employee. There wage however is well below the industry standard and MUCH lower then what the competition pays.

Management : One of the worst managed companies I have personally ever delt with , Very disorganized and unfair and management is hardly ever there to deal with issues at hand.Career advancement within the company is based upon favoritism and off of speculation.

Culture : The company wants to portray a friendly,positive and safety orientated culture. In reality , the companies culture is back stabbing and setting employees up to fail . If you are not "buddy buddy" with the management staff then you will not have a good time and you will be slowly be pushed out the door and there friends will be hired .
Pros
Scheduled days on / off
Cons
Very poor mangement and lots of favoritism going on
Very poorly managed
Plant operator (Current Employee) –  Grande prairie Alberta4 November 2018
An extremely toxic work environment operators are encouraged to spy on others all prmotions go to friends or family of already established management. They will string you along with promises of advancement. Managment is the worst I’ve ever experienced physical intimidation has been used to try and force employees to do unsafe work practices to keep operational costs low. Wages are the lowest in the industry all and all a very poorly run company
Pros
Good benefits, work schedule 7-7
Cons
Toxic work environment, aggressive management, low wages, lack of opportunity for advancement
Secure Energy Services
Lead Office Administrator (Former Employee) –  Whitecourt, AB14 January 2018
Was a place I called home, there wasn't a day that I didn't enjoy going to work. The positivity of the workplace was always energetic from all staff members to co-workers. Management was professional but also casual which helped the comfort level of the workplace. Secure is a family orientated company and understood that work/life balance was important to all their employees. While working with Secure I learned to work as a team and independently, I was challenged on various aspects and succeed which helped me become a better person and a better employee. The hardest part of my job was overcoming one of my weaknesses which was public speaking and I'm happy to say that was one of my greatest accomplishments. Making a positive difference and be noticed for it was the most enjoyable part of my job.
Pros
Paid Benefits, Bonus Program, Shares, RSU's
Leadership/Executive Overhaul Needed
Technical (Former Employee) –  Calgary6 December 2018
Self-serving leadership team that was out-of-touch with rank and file employees. Board of Directors needs to man up and turf the entire executive team if the company has any interest in retaining good employees. It was a good place to work until it wasn't, witnessed many terrible personnel decisions in my time there that led to a very toxic culture where it became more and more clear that the executive team still views the company as their own play-thing with very little regard as to how their decisions directly and indirectly impacted the lives of the 1000 plus employees. Basically, if you are not at a VP level or higher, you don't matter.
Pros
Good people at a working level
Cons
Poor leadership
Overall, decent place to work.
Heavy Equipment Operator (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 May 2018
Sometimes there is lot's of work, other times there is no work. Decent pay, benefits, and LOA. Primarily you work on the road, usually 10-12 hr days depending on the project.
Pros
Good wages, culture, and equipment
Cons
You may sit at home for days to weeks.
Positive Work Atmosphere
Field Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Various - Alberta/British Columbia4 December 2018
Good drilling fluids company to work for, good management who are positive, embracing, able to keep the human factor in decision making. Work culture does however include working long periods away from home.
Pros
Flexible work-home lifestyle
Cons
Long periods working away from home
excellent place to work
Environmental Consultant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB22 November 2018
strong management and efficient team. lots of resources for support. Strong HR and safety department. Overall product was excellent with commitment to make better.
Not a great place to work with a lot of workplace bullying that doesn’t get better
Facility Administrator (Former Employee) –  Fox Creek, AB29 September 2018
Thought secure was a good place to work until I encountered workplace bullying , nothing was done about it and it still goes on at the FCFST today . The lead administrator is so worried about someone taking her job she refuses to train anyone and keeps them doing the same thing for years
Pros
Cons
Terrible lead admin
Contract Geologist
Contract Geologist (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 September 2018
Very nice company. Everyone is well treated to unlimited coffee. Good culture in the workplace and everyone is able to approach colleagues for assistance.
Pros
Normal hours
Used to be a great place to work
Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB26 September 2017
Prior to the downturn, Secure was a great place to work, but had bad middle managers blocking development and taking credit for direct reports work. Salary, benefits, work life balance, and corporate culture were great when the company's stock was doing well.
Pros
Work life balance, corporate culture
Cons
Great work place, lack of communication
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB12 April 2018
Summary says it all. Awesome place to work, great staff, etc etc. Lack communication when working/planning things out. Work/Life balance is slim, making things difficult from time to time of course.
its fun to work there
Operator (Current Employee) –  Drayton Valley, AB30 August 2017
we deal with truckers coming and off loading fluid in to are raisers .then we send to a heated tanks to separate it and inject the water and pump the oil down the pipe line .
A Great company to work with
Fluid Transfer Technician (Former Employee) –  Fort St. John, BC11 June 2018
A very good and friendly company. The employees were being paid well, The safety standard was very high. Will recommend to anyone this company. I wish I get hired again.
Better than average for the industry but lots of room for improvement
Foreman/Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB30 January 2018
Overall I enjoyed my time at Secure. Managment used to be horrible but the General Superintendent got replaced in 2017 and things improved tenfold throughout the entire division. There was an old boys club when I started, if you weren't around since the beginning you were expendable and didn't matter. That started to change in the last year or so and made my time here much more enjoyable.

Like any company, Secure is only as good as the people you work with, and for the most part people here were hard working and fun people. Some exceptions, like anywhere, but they seemed to get moved elsewhere rather quickly.

However, watch out for the Equipment Manager at the Red Deer shop. One of the laziest and most two faced individuals I've ever met. The fact that a good chunk of the company go out of their way to avoid him and the shop he runs tells you all you need to know. Try your best just to not deal with him.
Great Company
Senior Field Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 May 2018
As a long term Mud Engineer, I really appreciated the people at Secure. They were always their for support and did not "Mother Hen" you unless dictated by the customer.
Pros
Great folks to work with
Cons
Mud Engineer schedules
Great people and culture within the company.
Mud Engineer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB27 March 2018
A typical day was exciting and fun. Oil field workers have personality and are extremely honest. I learned about drilling fluids systems and rig operations. Hardest part of the job was being away from home for extended periods of time. Most enjoyable part of the job was talking to field personnel.
Great place to work, but below average pay.
Facility Operator (Current Employee) –  Alberta4 February 2015
Working at Secure has definitely been a pleasure. Our facility definitely has really good moral and I am actually excited to go into work.

As an Operator, our job is not strenuous by any means, however when something goes wrong, it can definitely be stressful. Safety is and always will be the number one priority at Secure. You are never asked to rush anything. They have a, 'Take Your Time, Do it Safe, and Do it Right' mentality. The management with Secure is very good and they treat their employees very well.

I really do like working for Secure, however their pay just isn't competitive enough. They don't offer much, if anything, for housing accommodations so most of the employees are local. If you are from out of town you are required to find your own living arrangements. They are trying to hire local and if you aren't local, they expect you to eventually reside in the area because they will not pay for your hotel or rental expenses. The problem with that is, their facilities are located in booming locations where housing is extremely expensive and they definitely do not pay well enough to afford to relocate.

In comparison to where I am working, there are other companies/facilities starting their employees at around $30,000-$40,000 MORE than our starting salary.
Pros
Great Company
Cons
Low Pay
good shift rotations
Senior Field Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB19 April 2018
great place to work can advance fast with good knowledge and hard work times got slow when i worked there and i was a later hire over most the crew so i seen the layoff coming
Steady Job
Lead Operator (Current Employee) –  Whitecourt, AB10 February 2018
Safe and secure place to work. Company is steady and growing all over Canada with many changes from top to bottom. Like most growing companies some areas grow to fast and others play catch up.
Good company but sstill room for improvement
Technical Advisor/Senior Hydrogeologist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 December 2017
I enjoy the diversity of workload. However, management need to be improved.. Some sectors leader were not qualified for positions being mange and hence water quality and output is at times compromised.