Secure Energy Services Employee Reviews

Great Company
Senior Field Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 May 2018
As a long term Mud Engineer, I really appreciated the people at Secure. They were always their for support and did not "Mother Hen" you unless dictated by the customer.
Pros
Great folks to work with
Cons
Mud Engineer schedules
good shift rotations
Senior Field Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB19 April 2018
great place to work can advance fast with good knowledge and hard work times got slow when i worked there and i was a later hire over most the crew so i seen the layoff coming
Great work place, lack of communication
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB12 April 2018
Summary says it all. Awesome place to work, great staff, etc etc. Lack communication when working/planning things out. Work/Life balance is slim, making things difficult from time to time of course.
Good company not enough room for adcvancement
Lead Operator (Current Employee) –  Drayton Valley, AB2 April 2018
I enjoy what i do at this company. Schedule is great and benefits are pretty decent. Just the possibility for advancement is slim once you reach a certain level
Pros
great schedule, good benifits
Cons
pay is low, advancement is slim
Great people and culture within the company.
Mud Engineer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB27 March 2018
A typical day was exciting and fun. Oil field workers have personality and are extremely honest. I learned about drilling fluids systems and rig operations. Hardest part of the job was being away from home for extended periods of time. Most enjoyable part of the job was talking to field personnel.
Steady Job
Lead Operator (Current Employee) –  Whitecourt, AB10 February 2018
Safe and secure place to work. Company is steady and growing all over Canada with many changes from top to bottom. Like most growing companies some areas grow to fast and others play catch up.
Better than average for the industry but lots of room for improvement
Foreman/Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB30 January 2018
Overall I enjoyed my time at Secure. Managment used to be horrible but the General Superintendent got replaced in 2017 and things improved tenfold throughout the entire division. There was an old boys club when I started, if you weren't around since the beginning you were expendable and didn't matter. That started to change in the last year or so and made my time here much more enjoyable.

Like any company, Secure is only as good as the people you work with, and for the most part people here were hard working and fun people. Some exceptions, like anywhere, but they seemed to get moved elsewhere rather quickly.

However, watch out for the Equipment Manager at the Red Deer shop. One of the laziest and most two faced individuals I've ever met. The fact that a good chunk of the company go out of their way to avoid him and the shop he runs tells you all you need to know. Try your best just to not deal with him.
i enjoyed it in all aspects
Cost Controller (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 January 2018
I learned a lot and enjoyed working away and the people i worked with. Working with Trans Canada it was all about our safety and the safety needs of onsite.
Secure Energy Services
Lead Office Administrator (Former Employee) –  Whitecourt, AB14 January 2018
Was a place I called home, there wasn't a day that I didn't enjoy going to work. The positivity of the workplace was always energetic from all staff members to co-workers. Management was professional but also casual which helped the comfort level of the workplace. Secure is a family orientated company and understood that work/life balance was important to all their employees. While working with Secure I learned to work as a team and independently, I was challenged on various aspects and succeed which helped me become a better person and a better employee. The hardest part of my job was overcoming one of my weaknesses which was public speaking and I'm happy to say that was one of my greatest accomplishments. Making a positive difference and be noticed for it was the most enjoyable part of my job.
Pros
Paid Benefits, Bonus Program, Shares, RSU's
Good company but sstill room for improvement
Technical Advisor/Senior Hydrogeologist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 December 2017
I enjoy the diversity of workload. However, management need to be improved.. Some sectors leader were not qualified for positions being mange and hence water quality and output is at times compromised.
Fair management, stable environment, lots of opportunities
Assistant Controller (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 October 2017
I had lots of opportunities to grow, I think I have been treated fairly good by the management, the team is stable, very low turnover. I enjoy working in this accounting group.
Used to be a great place to work
Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB26 September 2017
Prior to the downturn, Secure was a great place to work, but had bad middle managers blocking development and taking credit for direct reports work. Salary, benefits, work life balance, and corporate culture were great when the company's stock was doing well.
Pros
Work life balance, corporate culture
its fun to work there
Operator (Current Employee) –  Drayton Valley, AB30 August 2017
we deal with truckers coming and off loading fluid in to are raisers .then we send to a heated tanks to separate it and inject the water and pump the oil down the pipe line .
was a great job that lasted a Month unfortunately
fluid transfer labourer (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB13 April 2017
no longer work there cause of a guy didn't like me and told some managers that i was sleeping on the job, never slept working with him, but i took vids and pics of every time he slept and sent them to the office, hope he gets canned and they call me back but i doubt it.
was a great job.
Working at Secure Energy
Rather not say (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB21 December 2016
In my department the management was somewhat ineffectual and played favorites. There was no opportunity to advance and you had to find your own training opportunities.

This company used to be great, but the "family" feel is gone.
Pros
Quarterly updates, 3 weeks vacation, great Christmas party
Cons
Long hours, lack of recognition, culture is now cold and business oriented
Miserable place to work
Environmental (Former Employee) –  Canada9 September 2016
Poorly managed by people are not qualified to over see employees and do not give two sh*ts about their staffs safety just billable hours. Worst company I've worked for. By far the most uncomfortable shady workplace atmosphere....
Pros
Lots of bizarre jobs
Cons
Loser managers and unfriendly poorly trained coworkers
horribly managed place run by people who will only keep you busy if you buddy up with them and are a good brown noser
Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB7 September 2016
Totally unprofessional company run by totally unprofessional people is a good start. If youre an operator or labourer watch out for your superintendant, that guy couldnt superintend a candy shop, worst liar and backstabber ive ever come across in the industry, unless you like no call backs when you just want to know whats happening for work or youre a huge brown noser then its a fit. Oh and watch out for the head mechanic/equipment manager at the red deer shop, he will throw anyone under the bus to make himself look good, he would sell out his own mother and still sleep at night.
Pros
Cons
A liar and backstabber for a superintendant, no call backs when you want to know about work, too many cons to list
Very a good place to work and gain experience
CONSTRUCTION HS&E ADVISOR (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB31 August 2016
Over the six plus years I was at Secure I found that it was an enjoyable place and environment to work in. They went through an amazing growth and hired the best that they could. Unfortunately; with fast growth gaps are developed and sometimes its difficult to foresee and react to these gaps in an appropriate manner.
I was able to receive training during my time which aided in moving on to new opportunities. Granted I was let go which wasn't my choice.
With the current market trends and the way the industry is struggling almost all companies are affected in one way or another.
The team I was working with was fantastic and supportive.
Sure being unemployed during a downturn is humbling and makes you rethink your choices. However; when something ends something else starts.
I've worked in the forest industry, oil and gas, service industry and now a dam project.
Opportunities are there and I refuse to dwell on the past.
Pros
Training, travel, supportive management, well compensated, company vehicles, work life balance
Cons
Extremely fast growth caused difficult to manage growing pains
Stepping stone
Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 June 2016
Use this company as a stepping stone for better things but don't expect any mentorship, proper training or support of any kind. Management/organization/communication is a mess, pay and benefits are laughable, no RRSP plans. Higher ups only care about the numbers and often ignore the human factor. Lower management are generally unable to delegate tasks to untrained team members meaning they are too busy to properly train their employees, and end up taking a sink or swim approach with field projects. As a result, at least half the workplace (prior to recent layoffs) was inept resulting in an over-reliance on, and over-working of, the few employees who had proven to be capable. Worked additional hours nearly every day to complete last minute requests from management, address mistakes made by coworkers in reports, meet deadlines which had already been extended/missed by whoever was previously responsible, coordinate field projects etc. Lots of overtime which is now stored as time in lieu rathe than paid out. Gossipy office with lots of negativity and high school-ish vibe. Very high turn-over rate.

An example: Yearly bonuses (if they even still have bonuses) are evaluated based on a system which has been designed to minimize the bonus awarded. One part of the evaluation is each employee working a minimum of 80% billable hours over the year. Billable hours are calculated as a weekly percentage rather than based on actual hours worked. This means that working long hours in the field (such as 90+ hours weeks) only translates to 100% billable time over those weeks, and does not ensure
  more... getting a good bonus. So you could work an extra 500 hours in the year, but if you took all your entitled vacation time, time-in-lieu or sick time, you would not achieve the 80% requirement. Regardless of how good an employee you are, you would not be given a full bonus.

This company actually has a lot of potential but the poor management and overall disorganization makes it hard to realize. It's unfortunate, I worked here for about 2.5 years and I met some of my best friends at Secure. I would have liked to stay longer but at the end of the day I was burnt out and depressed by the work atmosphere. Ultimately decided to find something with a better work/life balance and I'm much happier now.
Pros
turn over meant promotions came up relatively quickly
Cons
low pay, low employee appreciation, poor management, high turn over, inept co-workers and lack of training or mentorship for new employees
worst place ever
Scale Op and Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Drayton Valley, AB9 January 2016
I would not work there again if it was the last place on earth .. the Management was a rude fat person who sat behind a desk and never gave a person the benefit of the doubt it was his way that was it ... co workers were the same all but 1hardest part of the day was going to work best part was leaving
Pros
nothing was free had to pay for the christmas party
Cons
the manager was ALWAYS there telling you that you were wrong