Second Cup
Happiness score is 56 out of 100

Second Cup Employee Reviews

Canada456 reviews

Barrister

Loved working here! Just wish the pay was better, super fast paced! Learned a lot about coffee etc. Unfortunately the location has temporary closed. Was offered at another location but did not work with distance.

Amazing

I have worked for the company for many years. The people that I work with show a passion for the art form and experience that I do. Always have had the opportunity to make suggestions and offer improvements.

Insights into Second Cup

What people like
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Support from manager
  • Sense of belonging

I loved my time as a barista at Second Cup. It was the perfect job for me while I was studying in university. There is a significant difference between corporate run stores and franchise run stores, so be mindful of that.

Pros

flexible schedule, free coffee

One of the worst places I've ever worked at.

All the work that you do and put in in such a corporate, goes unappreciated... Not to mention that they will have you do A LOT of work... Most of which won't be listed under your job responsibilities... The management is the worst of their kind... They don't treat employees like humans.

Good

Good first job I guess, I don’t ave much to say. My coworkers were great! They were so nice. They were very helpful and knowledgeable. My manager was ok.

Great manager and co workers who made work a good a experience

My location happened to be managed and overseen by a very charmastic and bubbly person who made work less stressful then it has to be. Great job experience 2 weeks in and most people will get the hang of it. I was in charge of multiple tasks, including taking orders, weighing and grinding coffee beans, heating food in the oven, and making drinks. Overall a great work environment without too much hassle

Pros

Free drinks and food every now and then

its ok

good for a part time job as a student. does not have career development opportunities. The management there was a little cheap. They gives very low amount of hours and the benefit is only 25% of food & drinks. The payment was through paper, not very efficient.

It’s alright

Honestly the job isn’t that hard. You get free coffee which is nice. It can be stressful though during busy times and very boring when it is not. Owners were also very difficult at times.

Pros

Free drinks

Cons

Owner

Just don’t

Myself and everyone I know who has worked here has regretted it. There are much better options for a workplace out there. It’s fun at first but their stores are not cared for and little to no opportunity for advancement. Most of the time one person is working, stores are in shambles, save yourself the trouble.

Pros

Free coffee

Cons

Owners of second cup do not care about individual stores

Decent work

I enjoyed working there. Might be tough cause of dumb customers, but I still enjoyed working there. Co workers are nice, Manager is cool and some of the customers are nice.

The job was good overall but it was understaffed and didn’t get payed for the hours I worked

I would recommend this job but the management at the store I was working was HORRIBLE, didn’t get payed what I was supposed to, manager didn’t help a lot, really understaffed, no tips, you had to do everything on your own because the shifts had only 1 worker, if they had a better management the store would succeed more

Pros

Free coffee

Cons

Don’t get payed

A terrible experience.

Lack of vision, and politics were everywhere. People sacrificed their direct reports to deflect responsibility when the results didn't come to fruition.

Pros

Cons

I don't know where to begin. I would never encourage anyone to join this firm.

draining and poor management

I've worked at Second Cup (9283) for about half a year and it was by far the worst working experience I've had. The job wasn't difficult, however, management made it very hard to properly do our jobs. The owners of this particular store were very manipulative, aggressive, impatient, and plain rude to employees. Most employees felt neglected and management never took the time to discuss issues with us. It was hard to talk with the manager and often we would get ghosted. The owners would also often come in to work and not respect health code such as wearing a hair net and would keep a fraction of the tips for relatives who would come in occasionally (without being on the clock). Employees would get yelled at by these people, insulted, blamed, and embarrassed in front of customers. Many times, the issues at hand were out of employees' control yet workers would still be accused and yelled at. This is the most unprofessional and toxic work environment I have ever experienced. My advice to anyone thinking of working in this specific store would be to avoid it at all costs.

Pros

1 free drink per shift

Cons

toxic environment, psychological harassment, neglectful management, low on stock making the job harder to manage, no training

no room to breath or be yourself

Boss works behind you watching what you do and criticizing your every move and decision. Clients at that location had no respect towards the women working there and the male boss would look the other way.

Pros

Free drink

Cons

Everything else Clients yelling at you and calling you derogatory names, while boss takes their side.

No benefits whatsoever and work is sometimes very tiring.

Love working as a Barista because I love the coffee culture. Only downside is that we dont get any benefits and sometimes work is very repetitive and tiring.

Pros

Great environment Free or discount on coffee, smoothies and baked goods.

Cons

Long shifts Repetitive tasks You might end working with really young people

Run

Hated it. Expectations for workers is way too high - they expect you to remember all the drinks within a month. Management was horrid - got comments on my behaviour while the manager was going out to buy alcohol mid day.

Pros

Free coffee

Cons

Everything else

It's ok for casual part time

It's ok for temp work or super casual minimum wage job. Will help you learn customer service skills and to deal with grumpy customers and multi tasking abilities . Manager is usually so so

Pros

Tips, if split fairly, discount food

Cons

No benefits, expired food is yours

Great for a summer job and the like

This job is great for a summer job and the like but I won't recommend it as a permanent job as there is no advancement in the field. If you are a student, it's good temporarily but it can really take a tole on your health if you are sensitive to standing for long periods of time. The environment is fast paced, open early, close late and you must be quick on your feet as you never know when there will be a huge line up with several different orders. Depending on the area you work in, you may be up for some abuse from customers (especially those who foolishly mistaken this place for Starbucks) so keep that in mind if you are very sensitive. If chosen as a barista, I would recommend writing down the recipes for the drinks as it is essential you memorize them in order to work well during rush hours and you should be able to work without supervision. Finally, if you want to save money, please invest in making and bringing your own lunch as foods from here are expensive (and some unhealthy) even with the employee discount!

Pros

Employee discount on food

Cons

Long hours, 30 minutes for lunch, stressful rush hours, abusive customers, lots of new recipes to memorize in one sitting if you're new

I environment was terrible.

I was forced to work eight and a half hours without a break. We did have a break scheduled but it was impossible to enjoy it since we would be working in the kiosk be ourselves. Which would mean we would still have to serve customers during our break.

Pros

free coffee or tea

toxic work environment

Very bad work experience. For some odd reason, the assistant manager told the boss that I had an attention disorder without any proof (they can’t make an assumption about it since they aren’t a doctor what the hell). Even with 1.5 years of experience as a barista and good references, the boss did not have trust in me, at the point where I wasn’t even ALLOWED to make the drinks for the customers. He told every new person I was working with to not let me do the drinks because of my *CONDITION*. it was so degrading and ableist.

Pros

some employees were nice

Cons

ableist workplace

It was ok

Merchandise stores need a lot work on the management. More training is needed for new employees with both skills and protocol trainings. People are friendly.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Second Cup. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.9 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement