Second Cup Employee Reviews

Another cafe
Barista (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 April 2018
Great location for coffee, great team to work with. All the basic and conventional functions for a coffee shop. Nice place to work and support myself through university.
Pros
free coffee
Cons
boring
Positive atmosphere created by the employees and customers.
Barista (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 April 2018
A typical day at work is setting up shop for customers, and making sure everything up to code and proper design. Clean the windows, floors, and tables. Help and and create small talk with customers. Also, the management was great, always understanding my needs and always fair with their workers. The only hard part of the job is working fast along side working with high quality under pressure. The best part of the job is the positive atmosphere, where people come out to have a cup of coffee and and relax.
Fun workplace
Barista (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON28 March 2018
A regular day on the job as a barista is usually easy, it is typically either relaxed or busy but it all depends on the time of day. I usually work in the afternoons and they are the closing shifts and we get a lot of regular customers come in on there way home from work to get a coffee and/or a light snack, that's also one of the best parts of the job, is seeing my regulars come in just to see me because they ways I make there drinks and how it always puts a smile on there face after a long day.
Pros
Free drinks while on shift
Cons
short hours
Very fun workplace
Cashier , Customer Service , Kitchen , Cleaning (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON22 March 2018
The people there are really kind and very, I've learned so many things while working with other people i love to work with a group , the job is really chill and the boss is very nice , and i enjoy doing the things i love , it was not a problem with fitting with my co-workers because they were really nice and very kind .
Second Cup
Barista (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 March 2018
Many Second Cup are franchised so the owners take are more invested in their business which can be difficult when working. Customers often don't really know what they are ordering coming from other coffee shops.
Pros
50% off food (past) Free drinks
Cons
25% off food (present)
great place
Manager (Former Employee) –  Port Credit, ON17 March 2018
Excellent place to work.
Staff gets along great and the owners are awesome.
All the employees are always super friendly. I have nothing bad to say about Second Cup.
Pros
free drinks
Cons
tips sucked
had potential
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Halton Hills, ON15 March 2018
Seemed nice at first because it is like any fast paced cashier/service job. As someone who likes coffee I appreciated the perks and learning about drinks. It is completely hit or miss based on the management and coworkers. Working with supportive staff made the shifts go by quickly. It was frequently understaffed and management did not provide proper training. There was rarely management on site. Other coworkers were rude and condescending for the most part.
Pros
free drinks
Cons
understaffing, management, lack of training
considerate people
Barista and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC14 March 2018
Most bosses care about you. see the work as a family. Always ask you if everything is ok or if they cam improve anything at work. if something is wrong they try to change it. count your hours though, because I was often missing hours.
Cohesive Team
Barista employment (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON11 March 2018
Worked with my roomate, very chill management and work team, we all got along well, picking up shifts for one another and having a good time while maintaining our responsibilities.
Pros
good customer relationships
fun environment under good management
Associate and Trainer (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON27 February 2018
Every second cup is different. If you work at a location with a good franchise owner, you will likely love your job. The customers are amazing, and the environment is really nice.
Pros
Free drinks
Cons
inconsistent management
Barista
Barista (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON25 February 2018
Bosses are super organized and really understanding. I loved working there, helped me get a feel for the place really fast. Recommend working there if you like coffee.
Heavy work load and staffing shortages
Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto Pearson International Airport, ON21 February 2018
Hard to figure out how their H/O runs without any proper structure. Accountability here for individuals in their higher ranks, is overlooked excessively.

You will never worry about shortage of work. There is an over abundance. Your salary unfortunately is way under the competitive benchmark. Not too mention. Your probation is beyond your traditional 3 months and they give the bare minimal for vacation.

It is however a great place to learn if you come with the intent of being there short term. Do not recommend staying here long-term.
Pros
Flex hours
Cons
Salary, benefits, departmental support, accountability
Health and Safety perspective
Assistant manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 February 2018
the workers in our store were mostly foreigner with working holiday visa or at school. Their working attitude was not that great at times. not enough health and safety sense and knowledge. This job required a lot of standing, lifting, and bending. after working for a prolong period of time, could cause some muscle, ligament fatigue. The store location was not that great with a lot of homeless people disturbing the store business and sometimes see drug user in the store as well.

the most enjoyable part is networking with different kinds of customer. It is always fun to chat with them.
Pros
greatly improve communication skills and prioritize the importance
Cons
prolong standing, lifting and bending.
Very good first work experience, poor management
Barista/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 February 2018
I've only been working here at Namao Second Cup for a little over two months, and it of course is fun. I absolutely love being a barista, I have fun coworkers and I absolutely love the regular customers! I just find the scheduling very unfair as I'm a high school student and applied for part-time hours, but work full-time hours sometimes. I need set days I can work but I haven't been listened to for that.
Other than that, working there is great. It's hard sometimes with rushes, as only two people are scheduled per shift, so it'd help to have more people working. I've definitely learned how to cope with big rushes. They're scary but I can handle them now. I love making the drinks using the espresso machine. I love interacting with different people throughout the day, including the regular customers.
Pros
Free drinks, 25% off food and drink, lovely co-workers
Cons
Long hours, scheduling is a bit unfair, stressful managers
Easy summer job
Barista/ Downtown T.O. / Summer Seasonal (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 February 2018
Easy work culture, simple coffee orders and great rounded experience . I received understanding of coffee, espresso drinks and free barista training.

Thankyou
Pros
free tea and coffee
So much potential to be a great company, but lacks consistency.
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB5 February 2018
This job is just the same as working for Starbucks, but for less advancement and no benefits. The store is either run by the franchise, or can be bought out and ran by the owner. So the management differs from place to place.
Quaint atmosphere with good company
Manager (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB3 February 2018
Second Cup can be an amazing place to work AND a not so great place depending on management/ownership of the franchise. The company itself is changing from the home town cafe feel to more of a bistro due to head office changes which was a reason for leaving on my part, but for the most part I loved working there until everything went downhill. There also isnt much room for advancement whatsoever, can pretty much only get promoted from barista to manager and nothing higher so if you’re looking for a part time job to make money on the side without major commitments like bills or rent, Second Cup would be acceptable.
Pros
Free drinks on shift, discounts, shift flexibility (depending on Manager)
Cons
No room for advancement, company changes
good working place for beginners
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON28 January 2018
this is a place where i got my first canadian working experience, working in this place helped me to improve my self confidence in speaking my second language and on how to interact with different people
fun and well organized workplace
Barista/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC27 January 2018
the coffee shop has a great vibe to it and it makes people feel welcome and at home and i enjoy that feeling. All of the employees work well together as a team to make the experience enjoyable for the customers.
Good Learning Experience
Barista All Rounder / Cashier (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ON25 January 2018
I enjoyed my time at Second Cup. It was a good learning experience to better understand the working world. The management was nice and helpful as well.