Second City Employee Reviews

Environnement de travail agréable
Acteur (Former Employee) –  Chicago31 May 2018
On fait beaucoup d'exercices differents qui augmentent nos capacités de réfléchir rapidement, de parler mieux et de jouer mieux.
Les professeurs sont des acteurs professionels et ils sont capables de facilement transmettre leur savoir.
Great Course
I attended a course (Former Employee) –  Boston, MA9 December 2017
I attended a course here for improvisation in client relationships. It was great, the trainers were incredibly talented and engaged, and I came out utilizing 90% of the tools they led us through.
Second City
Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  Chicago, IL2 August 2017
I have my own planned routine that works for the benefit of everyone in the building because I don't like to waste time. I work alone and my superiors can rely on my abilities.
Pros
Trust
Cons
unorganized
Good place to be if you're into theater. If you're not, avoid this job.
Operations Manager, UP Comedy Club (Current Employee) –  Chicago, IL28 May 2017
When I started working here it was a relatively laid back and enjoyable place to work. You could be autonomous and as long as you weren't making mistakes, work was easy. There has since been named a new CEO and his practices are suspect at best. The micromanagement has increased tenfold. The company is now reactive rather than proactive and my direct supervisor is one of the worst supervisors I've ever had the displeasure of working with. The main benefit of this job is being able to watch shows while at work, though they get incredibly repetitive after a month or two.
Pros
3 weeks vacation, rarely asked to work over 43 hours
Cons
low salary, poor work culture, terrible supervisor
Open class
Comedy (Former Employee) –  Hollywood, CA9 January 2017
Great place to learn and take classes. Was not paid to attend here or an employee. Took a class open to public on comedy improve. Nice and friendly staff. Easily accessible.
Pros
good classes
Cons
no cons
Fun Job
Writer/Performer/Educator (Current Employee) –  Chicago, IL13 December 2016
Incredibly fun, impossible to get job with very minimal opportunities for career advancement. Pay is sporadic and low and often requires creativity in finding additional income without the ability to take a second job or give priority to other work.
Pros
fun, great people
Cons
low wages, no traction
Management lacks the know how in terms of training effectively and hiring efficient staff
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, IL23 September 2016
My initial thoughts were that I loved the place. In some odd way I still do. I just feel they need to get a much better training system for their staff. There is a bunch of cut-throat behavior also. Instead of being a team everyone seems to be out for self.
Pros
Free lunches, discounted tickets to show
Cons
Lack of knowledge as it relates to training employees. High turnover rate
Productive and fun work environment
Box Office Associate (Current Employee) –  Chicago, IL24 August 2016
The Second City is a great place to work. My co-workers are the nicest and most fun people around and the management wants you to succeed. There is no real room for advancement as all the different departments are vastly different. Also, it is part-time work and it is impossible to work over 39 1/2 hours.
Wonderful environment for lovers of comedy
Host (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL26 January 2016
The Second City is a Chicago institution in the art of comedy. I was able to meet several brilliant people and watch amazing comedy performances. But it is a typical serving job with little appreciation from customers and (at times) even less from management.
Pros
free comedy shows
Cons
no free nights, little-to-no promotion opportunities
Great people, great mission.
merchandise manager, assistant facilities manager (Current Employee) –  Chicago, IL1 January 2016
Second City is a wonderful place to work, with fantastic history. I, personally, loved my co-workers most of all, and was always amazed by the teamwork that happened everyday.
Great environment
Prep cook/runner (Current Employee) –  Chicago, IL1 December 2013
Very social, lots of cool perks, got to see free shows and meet some really cool people. The only problem was the late hours and the entry level pay.