Seaspan Vancouver Shipyards

Seaspan Vancouver Shipyards Employee Reviews

Canada8 reviews
Cool place to work with diverse selection of experienced people to have understanding of engineering perspective of how vessels are being built. Something that’s rare around here. Great pay
Safety Documentation Comes First, Exposure to unsafe Work Environment Comes Second. Not a Very Happy Work Culture and Fear of Layoffs are spread on a Everyday basis, including your first day.
Pros
Good Pay
Cons
Unhealthy Work Environment
Nice people working there. The job is not too hard. The company is efficient with ship repairs. but is new to shipbuilding and is not so efficient, when building new ships. It has poor management and very poor engineering staff. The reason is: No one in Canada is competent to build new ships, because the country was out of the shipbuilding industry for 40 years. This may lead to huge layoffs.
Pros
Paved yard and not too cold.
Cons
The city traffic increase the commute time.
I was there for few months, all the workers I worked with are friendly. Didn't have any issue with any of them. My supervisor is super great ! I don't mind to go back there and work in the winter again
For some odd reason Seaspan won't apprentice any mechanics. I have passed my probation and when it came to adding me to the seniority list they refused because I don't have my a Red Seal Ticket... Yet they refuse to apprentice me or anyone else for that matter. I'm very disappointed since they are going to have a large amount of employees retire and they don't seem to want to plan ahead for that . I wanted to work there till I retire now I'm having to look for a company to help me finish my apprenticeship..
Seaspan and the NSS program provided excellent opportunity in developing and managing a start up EVMS system and culture within a rapidly growing company. Enabled application of planning and organization experience, development of ERP system and process, cross functional reporting, training, development and co-ordination.
Progressive attitude and looking towards continuous improvement. They try to improve the system although movement does take a bit longer than it should.
Pros
Excellent pay
Cons
Location is difficult for those who do not have a car.
Engineering / production team, less ship design experence among technical and production managers, low productive at engineering team. People doesn't know what to do because managers can't point out the right directions, poor leadership at lower level managers
Cons
sometime work long hours, overtime without pay at senior level
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Seaspan Vancouver Shipyards. Our community is ready to answer.
4.3