Seaspan ULC

Seaspan ULC Management reviews

Canada31 reviews
I had requested to stay as a full time apprentice at seaspan and after being told they would love to have me and were just working on paperwork I was left in the dark after reaching out multiple times as to what the status was for my re-hire attempt.... Great place to work and my coworkers were great. Management is un organized to say the least.
I am finally ready to give this company a review. It was the best and worst company to work at. Great projects yet the execution and company culture are so poor.

The company states it promotes inclusion and diversity: well, it only looks for those values while making a video of how it is inclusive.
Women were asked to step out before government officials while they are touring company, yet you can count in one hand women being promoted or occupying management or c-suite ranks( you probably need less than 1-2 fingers to count).

When it comes to retention - 50% people leave seaspan. Thats states something about the company. Within 2 years - everyone i was working with was either let go or left.

The company states it builds “canadian shipbuilding industry” yet the majority of people managing and working are from abroad: uk, usa, ireland, Australia. There is very little of “canadian content”.

The values of the company: safety, care, efficiency and acountability - those are unfortunately just written on the wall. Lets address those. Safety - when I raised a concern that our contractors are not notified about safety issues or even the fire alarms - that unfortunately “could not have been done because of the system”. Care? They dont care about its own employees, let alone others. Efficiency - none observed; If anything - everything is inneficient. And it sad that these are our canadian tax payers money that are burned through inefficient processes, procedures, mistakes, poor management and staff who is mediocre. Accountability - well the company cant meet its own deadlines.
 - more...
Pros
Interesting projects
Cons
Everything else
If you can endure mental abuse, bullying by management and nepotism at its highest level... then the pay is good. Don't think for a minute that hard work, quality of craftsmanship or dedication is what this company is looking for, It's not. This is a company that creates mental health issues. I am a more damaged person for working at Seaspan. Everyone is very miserable. Not worth any money.
If you like to be treated like a bad dog and take absolutely no pride in your work then this is the place for you! If you have any comments or concerns about you job they will be completely thrown out the window. Anything that should be taken seriously is swept under the rug, and they will slam you for the smallest inconvenience. The high school mentality they carry is a joke, they will literally follow you home to harass you. The only good thing about this place is quick cash. I highly advise to skip the headache entirely.
Poor management, that will absolutely support no one. Not sure why, but I suspect no one really knows what they're doing over there.
Lack of leadership leaves staff without direction.

Ships are delayed and over cost, but that might be an understatement.

Avoid it if you can.
Pros
Salary
Cons
Everything else
HERE IS HOW SEASPAN SHOWS THEY CARE ABOUT EVERYONES WELLBEING:

Dude gets caught burying a crack: 4 days suspension.

Guy slanders someone and calls them a C-word: No punishment whatsoever.

Gets caught stealing big-ticket items from work: 2 weeks off WITH BACKPAY.

40-something-year-old Supervisor sleeps with a young apprentice: PROMOTED.

Bullies people and openly mouths off about how women don’t belong in the shipyard: PROMOTED.

Legitimate safety concern: IMMEDIATELY FIRED.
Pros
Unlimited coffee.
Cons
People have actually died there. No one cares.
No support whatsoever from management.Theres alot of lipservice with no action. One of the most disorganized companies and was relieved to leave. Little shipbuilding experience with eng staff.
Pros
Cons
Parking. Management
Inefficient processes and scale of work planning. You will have to work l.o.n.g hours to make up for this. Stressful workplace environment. Traditional top down decision making by people who have no idea what is happening on the ground level. Constantly running around in circles trying to find answers or being side-swiped by 'initiatives' that distract you from your job. Navigating hierarchical trade departments. Favoritism rampant, as is backstabbing. Management unusually detached ie could care less. Political correctness police are lying in wait. Do not have a personality, or an idea (someone will steal it), and know your place - you will do just fine. Don't forget to plaster a smile on your face for 8-10 hours a day lest you be accused of not being pleasant. Someone might report you for that too. 😁
Pros
Wages and benefits
Cons
Everything else
It seemed like an amazing opportunity, but I learned very quickly that this was a chaotic and immature organization. The safety culture is one of the worst I've ever seen. They hired some strong leaders and then systematically either let them go or drove them out. The hours were long, because there was so much to do. This company was lacking the most basic of HR and safety policies and procedures. Senior management was a nightmare. Frequent inappropriate behaviour and conduct from many leaders of the company. It was like working on a sinking ship. I'd bail water out of the boat all day and come back in the morning to find the ship going under again. It was a great learning experience for me. I learned about the kind of environment that I will never work in again.
A very poor environment filled with biases and corruption. The jobs are ok but the politics and management are deviant. Don't work at any shipyards in Victoria.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Everything else
Never have I worked for a company that went to such lengths to hire Management based upon their glorified credentials while lacking any understanding of the ship building processes, resource management and basic interpersonal skills.

I found during my tenure a company predisposed to creating chaos between management and the workforce, a company inundated with purposeless meetings and a company mindset that speaks of safety and the environment without sustenance.
Pros
Workforce
Cons
Management, Parking
They pay lip service to safety culture and have no loyalty to anyone who is not related to the boss. If you love working for millenials this is the place for you! Your coworkers will stab you in the back if management doesn't get you first.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Everything else
For a proper grounding in Vic Ship one should see the Wiki page on Peter Principle. It explains everything! A new candidate going in with this foundation, should have a good chance of success.
If you're from the outside, and have trade qualifications don't expect a career. Many have, and many were mistaken. Do expect your coworkers to gossip behind your back, and try to sell you out in an effort to retain their own jobs.
Ever had a coworker lie about you to management? Good luck shaking that once its been said. Nothing is off the table. Eat or be eaten. Whatever you do, don't get a job at Vic Ship and then buy a house. This is a big no no, and a huge source of stress. If you do get a job there don't think you've made it, cause, well... you haven't. That is of course unless you're related to someone in management, in which case you wouldn't be reading this anyway.
Good Luck!
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Rotten culture
The management of the welding department should all be fired from the superintendent to the head charge hand, especially the head chargehand. I did my apprenticeship at Vic ship and he went out of his way to try and ruin my life and actually ended up making me lose my apprenticeship. The whole company is garbage and management does not care about the workers or safety...if you get hurt they will look for any reason to make it your fault and if they can't find one they will get their company doctor to force you back to work.
Pros
Good money
Cons
Garbage management
Working at seaspan was a great honour and extremely fruitful. I am glad to have received the opportunity to explore areas of management and engineering. Managing people and expectations was the key in my personal growth. Each day was a challenge and I am thankful that I was given the freedom to take decisions independently. The trust and encouragement at my work place drove my performance to higher limits.
Pros
Friendly culture
Cons
Not too many young people
Worked in Commissioning on subs. Terrible managers. Seaspans website lists safety all over the place, but if you raise a safety concern, they will lay you off.
Everyone is afraid to speak up against the managers and continue to do work unsafely. Watched managers fire numerous people for trying to work safely.
Pros
good money
Cons
managers fire over slightest safety concern without investigating.
This company is growing by leaps and bounds yet the management remains engaged and progressive. They are respectful of people's strengths and do their very best to help everyone move forward. I can't say enough about Seaspan.
Pros
Excellent Managemrnt
Cons
Parking is a bit of an issue
Incredibly poor management. They replace all the canadians with brits.
No leadership. Management are politicians who will say anything and fire anyone so they look good.

No organization.
Pros
interesting project
Cons
horrible management. repressed culture.
During my time working at Seaspan the company had gone through a lot of change, 3 CEO's and a lot of senior management changes. All of my peers had left the company within my last year, for various reasons.

Significant challenges existed in the labour environment, particularly on the boats. The market had a new entrant which created commercial challenges. These challenges created significant pressures at a corporate level, which were felt throughout the company.

Within the distinct business units there are a lot of great people, and I greatly enjoyed working with them all. The majority of the line supervision and management had risen through the ranks, leading to an incredible amount of institutional knowledge and credibility.

Your co-workers and reports will go the extra mile for you, and there can be a real team environment within the divisions and business units.
Great people and opportunity if you fit senior corporate profile if you don't then they cut you at the first opportunity and replace you with non-Canadian import.
Pros
Project management generous with rewards
Cons
No support from corporate departments for projects
Manpower updates - meeting minutes; mail; tracking expenses; payroll input.

Head First - do not act afraid

Great Management - team players

Co-workers - supportive and cooperative

Not enough time in the day to complete projects

People
Pros
People and Customers
Cons
Lack of time