Seaspan ULC

Seaspan ULC Employee Reviews

Canada29 reviews
Was told is was only for contract work
I had requested to stay as a full time apprentice at seaspan and after being told they would love to have me and were just working on paperwork I was left in the dark after reaching out multiple times as to what the status was for my re-hire attempt.... Great place to work and my coworkers were great. Management is un organized to say the least.
Destructive to your mental health
If you can endure mental abuse, bullying by management and nepotism at its highest level... then the pay is good. Don't think for a minute that hard work, quality of craftsmanship or dedication is what this company is looking for, It's not. This is a company that creates mental health issues. I am a more damaged person for working at Seaspan. Everyone is very miserable. Not worth any money.
Saddest Company On The Planet
If you like to be treated like a bad dog and take absolutely no pride in your work then this is the place for you! If you have any comments or concerns about you job they will be completely thrown out the window. Anything that should be taken seriously is swept under the rug, and they will slam you for the smallest inconvenience. The high school mentality they carry is a joke, they will literally follow you home to harass you. The only good thing about this place is quick cash. I highly advise to skip the headache entirely.
good experience to work at Seaspan
The location is difficult to get to if you rely on public transportation. The company offer bus service to/from Marine and the Seabus in the morning and afternoon. There is an onsite cafeteria and offsite options are limited.
Avoid it if you can
Poor management, that will absolutely support no one. Not sure why, but I suspect no one really knows what they're doing over there.
Lack of leadership leaves staff without direction.

Ships are delayed and over cost, but that might be an understatement.

Avoid it if you can.
Pros
Salary
Cons
Everything else
Here’s how Seaspan lives up to their “Core Values”:
HERE IS HOW SEASPAN SHOWS THEY CARE ABOUT EVERYONES WELLBEING:

Dude gets caught burying a crack: 4 days suspension.

Guy slanders someone and calls them a C-word: No punishment whatsoever.

Gets caught stealing big-ticket items from work: 2 weeks off WITH BACKPAY.

40-something-year-old Supervisor sleeps with a young apprentice: PROMOTED.

Bullies people and openly mouths off about how women don’t belong in the shipyard: PROMOTED.

Legitimate safety concern: IMMEDIATELY FIRED.
Pros
Unlimited coffee.
Cons
People have actually died there. No one cares.
The wages will only keep you happy for so long
Spent over a year here as a pwp welder and would not go back through those gates if it was the last welding job on the planet. A true disappointment for myself as I looked forward to working in a new, state of the art shipyard on exciting projects. From the top down the buck is continually passed and the costs and quality drift further and further away from each other. Too many "yes men" move up while some of the best tradespeople I've ever worked with are weeded out for speaking their minds. The attitude was that to survive there, you had to stop caring in order to keep your sanity. There were weeks as a welder where I wouldn't be able to strike an arc until Thursday afternoon due to jobs changing, or simply being told to sit tight. If you want union wages, there are better places to earn them. If you are the kind of worker who takes pride in your job, keep looking.
Pros
Union wages, benefits
Cons
Overtime handed out on a political basis, horrible work culture
Disorganized gongshow
No support whatsoever from management.Theres alot of lipservice with no action. One of the most disorganized companies and was relieved to leave. Little shipbuilding experience with eng staff.
Pros
Cons
Parking. Management
Nightmarish
Inefficient processes and scale of work planning. You will have to work l.o.n.g hours to make up for this. Stressful workplace environment. Traditional top down decision making by people who have no idea what is happening on the ground level. Constantly running around in circles trying to find answers or being side-swiped by 'initiatives' that distract you from your job. Navigating hierarchical trade departments. Favoritism rampant, as is backstabbing. Management unusually detached ie could care less. Political correctness police are lying in wait. Do not have a personality, or an idea (someone will steal it), and know your place - you will do just fine. Don't forget to plaster a smile on your face for 8-10 hours a day lest you be accused of not being pleasant. Someone might report you for that too. 😁
Pros
Wages and benefits
Cons
Everything else
Great work environment
Great work environment with friendly staff. There is a strong learning curve and opportunities for advancement. The location is refreshing as you are working near the water.
Seaspan has a lot of growing up to do
It seemed like an amazing opportunity, but I learned very quickly that this was a chaotic and immature organization. The safety culture is one of the worst I've ever seen. They hired some strong leaders and then systematically either let them go or drove them out. The hours were long, because there was so much to do. This company was lacking the most basic of HR and safety policies and procedures. Senior management was a nightmare. Frequent inappropriate behaviour and conduct from many leaders of the company. It was like working on a sinking ship. I'd bail water out of the boat all day and come back in the morning to find the ship going under again. It was a great learning experience for me. I learned about the kind of environment that I will never work in again.
Poor leadership and culture
The ship is sinking and the good crew members have abandoned ship! More changes than one could imagine. The best leaders left over a year ago and anyone else worthwhile has left since.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Everything else
Victoria Shipyards and DND Shipyards
A very poor environment filled with biases and corruption. The jobs are ok but the politics and management are deviant. Don't work at any shipyards in Victoria.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Everything else
Nice work place
The team, culture, and atmosphere are all nice. Relaxed, yet effective environment and flexible working hours, but not flexible enough to work from home.
Pros
Good company culture and work life balance.
Cons
Location and transportation. No job security. No cleare career path.
Chaotic Management at its best
Never have I worked for a company that went to such lengths to hire Management based upon their glorified credentials while lacking any understanding of the ship building processes, resource management and basic interpersonal skills.

I found during my tenure a company predisposed to creating chaos between management and the workforce, a company inundated with purposeless meetings and a company mindset that speaks of safety and the environment without sustenance.
Pros
Workforce
Cons
Management, Parking
Terrible culture
They pay lip service to safety culture and have no loyalty to anyone who is not related to the boss. If you love working for millenials this is the place for you! Your coworkers will stab you in the back if management doesn't get you first.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Everything else
Can be fun if you're into that sort of thing
For a proper grounding in Vic Ship one should see the Wiki page on Peter Principle. It explains everything! A new candidate going in with this foundation, should have a good chance of success.
If you're from the outside, and have trade qualifications don't expect a career. Many have, and many were mistaken. Do expect your coworkers to gossip behind your back, and try to sell you out in an effort to retain their own jobs. Ever had a coworker lie about you to management? Good luck shaking that once its been said. Nothing is off the table. Eat or be eaten. Whatever you do, don't get a job at Vic Ship and then buy a house. This is a big no no, and a huge source of stress. If you do get a job there don't think you've made it, cause, well... you haven't. That is of course unless you're related to someone in management, in which case you wouldn't be reading this anyway.

Good Luck!
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Rotten culture
Terrible management
The management of the welding department should all be fired from the superintendent to the head charge hand, especially the head chargehand. I did my apprenticeship at Vic ship and he went out of his way to try and ruin my life and actually ended up making me lose my apprenticeship. The whole company is garbage and management does not care about the workers or safety...if you get hurt they will look for any reason to make it your fault and if they can't find one they will get their company doctor to force you back to work.
Pros
Good money
Cons
Garbage management
Great learning, broad exposure, awesome work culture
Working at seaspan was a great honour and extremely fruitful. I am glad to have received the opportunity to explore areas of management and engineering. Managing people and expectations was the key in my personal growth. Each day was a challenge and I am thankful that I was given the freedom to take decisions independently. The trust and encouragement at my work place drove my performance to higher limits.
Pros
Friendly culture
Cons
Not too many young people
Terrible management at Victoria Shipyards
Worked in Commissioning on subs. Terrible managers. Seaspans website lists safety all over the place, but if you raise a safety concern, they will lay you off.
Everyone is afraid to speak up against the managers and continue to do work unsafely. Watched managers fire numerous people for trying to work safely.
Pros
good money
Cons
managers fire over slightest safety concern without investigating.