Scotiabank

Insights into Scotiabank

Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager
  • General feeling of work happiness

nice people to work with. but the pay is not that high

nice people to work with. but very hard to find opportunities in a big branch. sales-oriented. supportive teammates and nice working culture. but the pay is not high

Great people to work with, not enough time/pay to do the amount of work

Great people that work for the companyCR's (bank tellers) have way more on their workload than management realizes, they are expected to finish piles and piles of paperwork that add up after each customer, with the only time to get it done in between customers, which rarely happens. They don't want you to stay late to finish it either and then wonder why you have so much to do still.

Pros

Excellent staff

Cons

Not enough pay or time for the amount of work expected from you.

Good team, support from co-workers and a safety net you can reach out to for support

Working on the global service desk, you get exposed to all types of technology and a broad understanding of how "Big IT" functions. Great work environment, and a good team. Middle management and team leads are supportive, but metrics can be difficult to hit if you aren't a top performer or quick to learn. Good benefits, and definitely room for advancement. Moving from contract to fulltime can be difficult however.

Pros

Broad environment to learn, positive team dynamic

Cons

Poor upper management, unrealistic one-sided expectations.

A company that promotes inclusiveness but lacks a process to enhance skills and career progression.

The role pays enough for you to survive in the Toronto area. However, the work you do and the pay you receive are mismatched. There are some benefits, such as mental benefits and wellness programs. The company talks about the growth opportunity and annual development plan but lacks the commitment to honor those promises.

If I leave Scotiabank, it's mainly due to management.

I work in an Agile lab and really like my teammates. It's a fast-paced, stressful lab but most team members always pull up their sleeves and we always meet deadlines. Management is horrible. There is zero people-skill and the lack of compassion and understanding are appalling. Management always pushing us to do so much with very limited resources and mandatory overtime. When this was brought up, it fell on deaf ears and nothing improve. I used to love working here but the workload is too much and becoming too stressful.

Pros

Work remotely

Excellent management

Best part of Scotiabank is it’s management. Every bank is stressful in regards to work load and targets but good managers make it easy.I don’t like there system as I worked at different bank before joining BNS so I can tell that there system need a good update.

Pros

Friendly environment, great management and incentives if you achieve your goals

Cons

Hours, targets are sometime unrealistic.

Good company, secure job with great benefits

Great work environment but in year 2021 and 2022 company made huge changes regarding what counts for your annual scorecard. Pretty much unrealistic goals, and i have seen alot of people quiting there jobs. As upper management have no understanding of what's going on at branch levels.

Pros

Great pay and benefits

Cons

Somewhat unrealistic goals

Fun company but banking process makes everything slow

Company has potential if they solve internal nepotism issues first. People who aren't qualified to be in management positions end up in them and make life for the people below them unnecessarily difficult.

Cons

Team leads Micromanaging Very Slow IT department

Toxic Work Environment

Toxic, management do not care for staff, no balance with work lifea typical involved having useless staff meetings where management would go over the same point 10 times

Pros

location

Cons

toxic work environment

Horrible management

Unrealistic sales goals. Unnecessary tracking. Pressure to perform included my seeing clients lined up with inappropriate products from previous employees.

Pros

Weekdays

Cons

Demeaning management

Good company. Competitive Sales

Great company but lots of changes coming due to electronic banking taking over jobs. Sales are very competitive. You need to get accounts/insurance to meet sales targets and get your bonus

Horrible company

Horrible company to work forManagement is bulliesToxic environmentPushed to get SOLUTIONS for customers but it's sales of products to customers that don't need or want it

Pros

Pay and benefits

Cons

Everything else - especially management

Good work experience for someone just starting out.

Working as a CSR was nice. It was fast paced but colleagues helped each other. Manager was also good and supportive. It was a good learning experience.

. Decent salary, confusing sales software, high pressure sales culture

I felt very overmanaged compared to the amount of sales pressure there was. With that level of responsibility you should be left to your own devices on whether you succeed. The frequency and duration of coaching is far too overwhelming for a salary which is not inclusive of a monthly commission; however the culture remains as if it is a commission driven environment. You did receive a variable bonus at the end of the year but the calculation method was extremely confusing and a decent margin of your time is spent trying to keep track of their formula metric.

Pros

Decent salary Ample opportunity Great benefits

Cons

High pressure sales culture No commission structure Confusing bonus structure consumes time

Great team workers

The most enjoyable part of my job is that I have a very nice team mates. Everybody is ready to help. My work is always appreciated and my direct supervisor always give me good advices.

Pros

Free coffee

Cons

Locations

Great place to start your career if you look for retail banking. However the effort and pay are not in proportion.

Similar to other banks, Scotia has high sales target to accomplish. As a new graduate, it's not bad to work there and have retail banking experience. But depending on management style, some could be very micro-management.

Pros

good employee benefits

Cons

poor management style.

Great place to work and knowledgeable management.

The branch in Miramichi is awesome. Staff are nice and friendly. Management is really knowledgeable and is always ready to assist. Great and fub place to work.

Manager, director coworkers are all nice and helpful!

Manager taught me business rules, disciplines and background knowledge of each process which greatly help me utilize my technique skills in troubleshooting.

Its a great company but with every big organization comes internal politics.

Too much politics and only people who are closer to the management get promoted. Doesn't value how much hard work you put in. I believe management should look in to this.

Pros

Work Life Balance Great Brand Name Job Security Great benefits

Cons

Internal team politics Only favourite gets promoted Low pay

Amazing place to work

Great organization with good working culture. Management is supportive, collaborative and promote work life balance. Benefits are at par with industry standards.

Comfortable, flexible work culture and environment

* Projects are very business driven* Agile development* Good benefits* Has employee share purchase plan* Has 5% defined contribution with 100% matching up to 4% salary

Pros

Flexible work time, work from home, good flex benefits, banking perks, work life balance

Cons

depends on the team, some uses outdated tech stack, software projects are very business driven, too many contractors, some teams are less diverse

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Scotiabank. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

1.8K