Scotiabank Employee Reviews

Management is very condescending
Adjustment Officer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 September 2018
A solid 9-5, will expect you to be at your desk before start time. Management is extremely rude and condescending. If you are literally 1 minute late from your break expect to get yelled at. You will be counting your seconds. The people you work with are generally nice. Depends which department you get placed into. When (not if) you are moved from one department to another, expect no recognition for your prior accomplishments - no matter how hard you work. You will not be given technical support if your systems have issues, no matter how far you escalate, or how many times you ask management for support. Everybody is here for their next promotion.
Pros
solid 9-5, some great people to work with
Cons
management will try to harm you before they try to help you, even if you work very hard
Very Unethical
Mainframe Developer (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ON23 September 2018
They hire people with absolutely no IT background or work experience as full time employees based on recommendations and work is done by family members while they sit around pretending to work
Amazing place to work
Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON21 September 2018
Scotiabank is an amazing place to work. I have been very fortunate to have amazing managers over the years. They were very supportive and encouraging in my progress and development.
Great Experience
Universal Banker (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 September 2018
Scotiabank has given me lots of opportunities and experience to further progress in my career. It has offered me the entry level role, I needed to learn and develop as a professional.
Scotiabank - Very Good
Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ON21 September 2018
Scotiabank has given me the opportunity to learn and expand my horizons. I deal with a lot of customers who bring me different challenges everyday, but I love a challenge. The culture of branch is good and we work together as a team.
very hostile environment
Manager, Small business risk assessment (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON20 September 2018
Management is non existent within any large bank. Workplace culture is horrific, the only managing you will receive is if you're not hitting your weekly targets which increase every single year and in such decrease workplace morale.

I would honestly stay away from any major bank.
Pros
Cons
everything
QA Testers (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON20 September 2018
I really want to thank you for acknowledging my work on the new thinking strategy. You put a lot of trust in me to lead that initiative, and it gave me a chance to flex my project management skills. I’m glad it had a positive outcome, and I’m particularly pleased that you saw the value in the work as well.
Mail room clerk
Mailroom clerk (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON20 September 2018
I work a Monday to Friday work week. My day consists of sorting mail, data entering data and filing. Periodically files need to be gathered and box to be sent out to a long-term storage facility.
Great "Grown Up" Job
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Brockville, ON19 September 2018
I feel that the bank could be a great place to work if you were more interested in looking out for the bank rather then the customers. The policies and procedures is miles and miles long, and it takes longer to learn the job then your probation period. You have to be adaptable and have thick skin. You also have to be able to say no quite regularly. As a relatively new hire, I was only given someone to teach me for two weeks, and after that management was very hard to come by for answers, unless you've made a mistake, then they would be sure to let you know. There's "job aids" that are available on the computer system, but you have to know what the title of it would be to effectively find it. It makes for a very long process if you have a customer waiting. I enjoy the customer aspect of this position and I feel that's probably it.
Not a good place to work
Bank teller (Current Employee) –  Vernon, BC17 September 2018
Was hired as a casual. Stayed casual for about a year. Was offered a position of 17 hours a week. I got more as a casual.. slow advancement, no hours, never looking out for employees best interest. Tries to get you to push every customer away by showing everyone to do it online. Gets mad if you dont. Doesnt look our for customers best interest either.
Work/pay
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  160 ALTON TOWER CIRCLE17 September 2018
Scotia bank does not pay well for the employees, and has been reducing hours here and there to save cost.
The co-workers are very friendly and nice and very welcoming to new comers.
Good work environment, Work family life balance is very good
Process automation lead (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 September 2018
I enjoyed working for Scotia, Professional and good work environment. Defiantly recommend others to work for Scotia. Good management and good workplace culture.
Pros
Professional and good work environment
Cons
Salary is not up to the market slandered
My work provides mobility
Project Manager, Corporate Premises (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 September 2018
I am self sufficient and manage my day to day activities depending on what is going on during that day. The best part of my day is being mobile and being able to work from any location needed.
If only they had better management
Business Intelligence Developer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 September 2018
Horrible place to work for anyone who is halfway competent. If you have spent a lifetime honing your skills, working hard to be a dependable member of a team; don't waste your time here. The management makes this extremely difficult, at least where I am. I have found the management at Scotia to be incompetent and disrespectful. They subscribe to dirty politics and distrust of others. Pay is not competitive and growth is more political than merit-based.

That being said, I did meet some fantastic talent during my tenure here.
Pros
Good, hard working technical personalle
Cons
Difunctional management and poorly architected systems due a lack of best practices
fun place to work
Universal Banker (Current Employee) –  Newmarket, ON12 September 2018
it is really fun to work for scotiabank as there are lots of perks like good insurance coverage and flexible hours. the environment is very laid back and easy going.
sales focus
Senior Financial Advisor (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON12 September 2018
branches are downsizing- Advisors are expected to be "jack of all trades"- quality of advisor client relationship no longer the focus... just numbers, numbers, numbers.... all banks are the same though.
Scotuabank
SOLUTIONS ARCHITECT (Contract) (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 September 2018
Great management and work environment. Team, individual, location is fantastic. Work/life balance is good.

Seating is a downside, cubical are too close to each other.
good work place
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Canada10 September 2018
Very good organisation to work .Good work culture. People are good , supportive and helpful. Good environment. A big cafeteria with lots of variety for food. Tim Horton inside the office campus.
Pros
Friendly environment
Cons
clarit of vision
Lacking Training and Unrealistic Goals
Financial Advisor 4 (Current Employee) –  Markham, Ontario10 September 2018
Unrealistic sales targets and lack of training from management. A lot of learning on the job and attaining targets that are nearly impossible with the work load that is given.
Pros
Benefits and good hours
Cons
unrealistic targets, hard to move out of retail
Décevant
Représentante clientèle Principale (Current Employee) –  Brossard, QC8 September 2018
Avec la nouvelle structure on presse les employés comme des citrons. Trop de travail pour le temps alloué. Objectifs trop élevés. Ils se sont débarrassé des employés d’expérience et engage des nouveaux. Beaucoup d’erreurs et manque de connaissance. Tellement coupé dans le personnel qu’ on ne peut pas donner un bon et rapide service. Ils ont enlevé toute latitude aux directeurs de succ. Les employés en subissent les conséquences.Apres 37 ans comme employé je ne veux plus être loyal, il n’ont plus d’humanité, ils fonctionnent avec la peur
Pros
Les collègues
Cons
Trop de travail, tout est géré, pas de place pour notre autonomie

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Scotiabank. Our community is ready to answer.

51.2K