Scotiabank
Happiness score is 59 out of 100

Scotiabank Employee Reviews

Found 2,674 reviews matching the search
I loved working there however banking had become a sales environment. I am not a sales person. I worked there 25 years ago so do not know current conditions and procedures.
Pros
Hours and salary
Cons
Salew
The culture in this bank was toxic for myself and several others I know at other locations. This bank only cares about sales not the clients best interest. I've worked at 2 other bigger banks that were hard targets but healthy culture.
Cons
Old technologies, confusing policies and procedures, long waits for helpdesk.
I've worked at Scotiabank for 20 years. Loved all the departments I've worked at. Staff very supportive. New tasks or courses allows you to grow. Award programs and bonuses in place. Due to family reasons, moved away from Downtown Toronto and my job was not tranferable... I miss the people I worked with over the years. Great company to work for!
Pros
Flexible lunch hours, benefits
Cons
I spent all of 5 months at Scotiabank but by the first month I knew it wasn’t a good place to work. I was a client administrator that came in on a 6 month contract that could be made permanent at the end of the contract. First off, the training is horrible. They give you a run through for 2 weeks then you’re on your own. I actually didn’t mind that, but when you asked someone for help they acted as if you should already know. If you made a mistake the “team lead (s)” and the manager would make you feel like trash. The manager was absolutely no help, treated us like high school students, and talked down to us all the time and yes you do have to suck up, be a know it all, etc. It was such a toxic environment. Also, Scotiabank is so cheap and they treat their employees like bums. Plus we had to physically come in to a depressing office daily during the pandemic when literally all of our work was digital and could have been done remotely. In total, this was the worst work experience of my life, but I’m glad I had this experience so I know what to avoid in the future.
Pros
Cons
Long hours, Toxic work environment, Useless Management
I worked for Scotiabank for 3 years and received less than $1 increase in salary over those 3 years. It wasn't because I wasn't good at my job. I received the "best of the best" award twice while working there. They do not have full time customer representative positions available so don't expect to ever make enough money to live. I always had to have a second job to make enough to actually pay for things I needed. Their benefits are decent and I did really enjoy the people I worked with. But as a company who's CEO made millions last year, I'd say they pay their employees like absolute garbage. I recently was offered a job from a credit union and was offered $7 more per hour as a starting salary!! Just goes to show how much Scotiabank doesn't care about making sure they're employees actually make a living wage.
Pros
Co-Workers were great to work with.
Cons
They pay like garbage.
If you got job here after your long search, do not stick for a longer time. Very very slow career growth.Upper management is not ready to listen to your suggestions.
Pros
You got a job to survive
Cons
Slow career growth
Scotia contact center is an awful place to work. You are only a number that gains NOTHING with seniority other then an extra week off work. The new hires make more then the tenured employee! Would you want to come to work everyday knowing your just a number and mean nothing to them?? Vacation requests are on a first come first served basis, so a tenured agent who is off that day, gets shafted due to the fact that a new hire requested first!!
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
e erything else
There was only 2 of us on contracted because at the time they never hire or took forever to get hired on at Xmas all the staff got a bonus but us 2 on contract made us feel terrible no one cared lol was a total joke bunch of jerks
The environment is toxic. You can’t trust your leadership. Everyone is out for themselves and staff are worked to the point of exhaustion where it affects their mental health. They do not accommodate for disabilities and treat you like you don’t matter. If you ask for help or support, it is turned around on you that you can’t do your job. It was a horrible place to work. I gave them my heart and they took my soul.
Pros
Cons
No Growth unless you play politics and suck up to management
Manager has no connection to employees and consistently downplays achievements or twists everything into a negative statement. Manager strives to bring out the worst in the employees to feed their own ego.
Pros
Cons
No one trusts each other because of toxic environment produced by manager
Even if you are sales machine, you will be exhausted, and you will never have a life balance.Horrible Human Resources. You should be more careful with your income taxes.
Benefits
Cons
Everything else
Decent pay, but no increments in pay should be expected as it wont happen. No support from management, stressful environment is created and unreasonable expectations is a norm, favourism, fakism very common. Use it as a placeholder and move on
Pros
Health benefits
Cons
Management, slow systems, lick your way up
6 branches with 6 branch managers to deal with it. It's hard to meet the goal. The managers'll not promote you for new jobs and skills. It's a dead end jobs!!!
Pros
Cons
Manager
Scotiabank is an excellent place to work where you have a lot of room for growth and self development.Work environment is very good too. Team was so good and collaboration was the key.
Pros
Work environment and growth.
Cons
Job Security
Terrible workplace, no pros. Very poor management and job culture in every branch. The worst coworkers I've ever had, rolling eyes at customers and coworkers. I wouldn't recommend this place to my worst enemy.
Pros
No pros
Cons
Very poor management and job culture, everywhere
very low payno work like balancethey say they are all about diversity and inclusion but they do NOT even know the meaning of diversity AND inclusion. All about sales but then also want you to do the right thing?i would not recommend this companyThey say they have departments to help employees but when you call its like you are running in circles...no one knows the answers....very long and confusing policies..no clear answer...so many steps to get ONE SIMPLE solution.
Management weak, salary level poor, micromanaged, hard to find many positives. Some parts of management very unprofessional. Other banks better and more progressive.
Pros
Warm in winter.
Cons
Just about everything else.
The bank has struggled to meet the digital world. The focus has shifted from employee to stock returns. The bank wanted complete devotion to the company, yet has no interest in the welfare of its employees. Managers and departments are pitted against each others in the false notion of competition is good among employees. Every manager just worries about the christmas bonus, thats all that is important internally.
Pros
no banking fees, and financial perks
Cons
Horrible leadership and people managers, More concerned with Stock holders than employees. Lack of direction from the top down.
Working at Scotiabank had its ups and downs. The Financial Advisor position had far too many goals and tasks that it was very hard to do what was asked of you, meanwhile getting little pay. Management can make or break the position, and it really varies on location. It is a good entry level position, but too stressful for me to stay for long. I've heard the Customer Service positions are much better, though.
Pros
Sometimes good people
Cons
endless tasks with no time to complete them
They aren't afraid to fire people if they are not performing. Not a bad employer but they are not very flexible. Somewhat limited by technology. I would work there again.
Pros
Decent variable compensation
Cons
Aggressive targets
I worked for this company for nearly 7 years in numerous positions. Every year it’s getting worse. The stress and pressure for FA are tremendous. Every day u have meeting about targets, calls. When u reach one u get scold for the other you didn’t reach. They closed mid office back in the day, who provided the admin support and it’s well needed . The FA have no time to do all in 7.5h. They paid poorly for the amount of work they need to be done. The front staff ,tellers are above $2 min wage and have so much on their shoulders. If any of them make a mistake regarding policy they will receive conduct letter ( 3 strikes and out). All of us were asking to get increase we were told, no increase, now they changing front positions with more things to do without compensation. The way how it’s managed it’s poor and it’s all goes from the top. Otherwise people are great to work with, we are all in the same boat, depressed and frustrated. I Do not recommend this company most of my coworkers are on stress leave or quit.
Pros
Great people to work with
Cons
They want only the numbers, don’t care about employees
  1. Employee reviews