Science North

Science North Employee Reviews

Canada20 reviews
Goal-oriented, collaborative, sometimes fun work environment.
This is a fast paced, hectic, and at times stressful environment. Lots of last minute and unexpected urgencies arise that require employees to be very flexible and adaptable.
Fun workplace
The people there are great! They are all very passionate of the work they do and it really shows in their results. These people truly put everything into this organization.
Such a unique and fun environment
Volunteering at Science North was a wonderful experience and I would do it again in a heartbeat! The managers and coworkers are extremely helpful and positive.
Great organization to be apart of
In the department that I worked in, I had a fantastic manager who trained me very well. The type of work is very much doable and enjoyable as well. It was a good experience since it is an organization with different departments rather than one private store, or one location of the many.
Toxic work environment with no chance for internal growth
Extremely poor communication between management and sales staff. Unreasonable expectations. Prioritize outside hires over internal promotions. The majority of sales staff have lost their drive and harbour negative feeling towards their workplace.
Pros
Job security, they rarely dismiss employees
Cons
Minimal training provided, lack of communication, no opportunities for growth
not there long enough for a real opinion
I have no real and well structured opinion on my time here, it was a summer job in order to get volunteer hours for school. I can say that they were great to work with and made it a very smooth process to get the job and start working.
Science north
Its a pretty good first job, I would not recommend staying there forever, because the money is not the greatest. Throughout the years, I met a lot of great people who work at Science North and the Management is amazing.
Super fun job, great organization, horrendous pay for the work though.
science north is a super dynamic and fun place to work. there are never 2 days the same.

however, the expectations of their staff are incredibly high and they do not pay anywhere near what other comparable jobs pay.

benefits are good though and professional development is taken very seriously.
Pros
great work atmosphere, engaging work, lots of job satisfaction
Cons
long hours, low pay, minimal opportunities for advancement.
Great place to visit but not so much if you work there
Seems like a fun place and it is to those who visit but the employees in sales work mostly boring shifts with minimum wage pay and have to deal with a lot and are expected to know everything about the whole business.

Management doesn't interact much with part time staff unless it's to get upset with someone.
Cons
Very low pay
Great work atmosphere and wonderful experiences
Science North has a great workplace culture and the employees truly make the difference. They are always aspiring to better the organization and their desire and drive to bring science to Northern Ontario communities is truly inspiring. The opportunities such as traveling and teaching students has been the best experience I could ask for.
Pros
Excellent workplace culture
Cons
Low salary
amazing learning environment
This is a great entry-level job because the hands-on leaning experience is one of a kind. My supervisors and co-workers taught me how to become a good, reliable employee.
Great place to work while in school
Typical days involved preparing the science center for the day. Then providing a great customer experience during the day. This included interacting with visitors, fixing broken exhibits, answering questions and running workshops.
Seasonal fast pace fun place to work
-prepare for the days visitors

-learned what it takes to keep things running smoothly for visitors

to Science North from the time they enter the building to the

time they leave. It was important to make sure they have the great

experience

-is fast pace in summer and long time standing

-meeting visitors from all over the world
Pros
time went by quick when it was busy
Cons
Can be long hours
Good place to work, but disorganized
Science North was a great place to work with great people.
Lots of highschool student coworkers

Learned tons about biology and sudbury

greatly increased communication skills

disorganized in sense of units dont always talk to eachother, and dont to communicate with hr

must be bilingual to advance positions
Cons
low pay
Good flexibility and room for advancement
The company is large allowing for movement within Science North. They we're very accommodating and flexible when it came to taking time off.
They have a great pension plan and go out of their way make their workers feel valued ( work lunches and gatherings).
Fast paced environment
The kitchen at Science North is always face paced and busy, always talking with customers over the line while taking orders and cleaning when possible.
An exciting colabrative atmosphere to work in
I worked at Science North on a 5 month contract filling in for their most senior graphic designer, who was on leave. It was an amazing place to work where every day was a new challenge. The marketing unit I worked in was a very cohesive group made up of various age groups.

While I was their I learnt a lot about some of the newer marketing trends with the use of social media.

The most difficult part of the job was managing expectations that other departments had in regards to time frames for getting various jobs printed.

I really enjoyed the opportunity to help launch new exhibits at the Science Centre and to contribute as a photographer as well as a designer.
Pros
Discounts at other Ontario museums and Science centres
Amazing, always learning something new.
My typical day was getting to meet a variety of different people around the world and getting to interact with them. I was always learning new ways to interact with different cultures and how to handle things with different customers. My management was great, they where easy going and a lot of fun. Also, my co-workers where amazing as well, we always had a fun time and there was never a dull moment. The hardest part was that if there was more then one french customer in the store, I was the only one able to speak french so I was always the one handling them. Overall, the most amazing part of my job was getting to meet so many new people from around the world.
Fun and outgoing Workplace
On a typical day i am a cashier that cleans the tables, floors, counters, and i put out the trash in the dinning room. I have learnt how to work a cash register. My co-workers are very helpful when needed. There is no hard parts in this job, although i make it look easy. The most enjoyable part of the job is that i get to see familiar faces everyday i work, plus i get to see smiles on everyones faces.
awesome place to work, would love to work there again.
All round good work environment. Employees are help full and kind .