Scholastic

Scholastic Employee Reviews

Canada27 reviews

Found 27 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,088 reviews

Excellent Team

My time at s=Scholastic was a great introduction to the industry. Great co-workers great management. Excellent way to get your foot in the door when it comes to working in an assembly like team. There on pay days we can go to store and buy used books during lunch time which is cool. You never know what you're going to find in the store.

Pros

Anniversary lunch days, Christmas Lunches, Fun activities on Halloween and the Holidays

Modern and inclusive work culture

The atmosphere is far more relaxed than most companies. Management is very open to staff enjoying their time at work, providing the work expectations are met. Company is also very inclusive in its hiring/promoting, as EDI is extremely important to the overall company culture. Work/life balance is the best I’ve ever experienced in all my years.

Pros

Great hours, paid leave, relaxed and casual atmosphere

Cons

Certain tasks may be a bit repetitive

Insights into Scholastic

What people like
  • Energizing work tasks
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Ability to meet personal goals
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Supportive environment
  • Sense of belonging

Productive and Fun workplace

I only volunteered there but it had a fun environment. Working with the other members was enjoyable. The system itself was organized and east to learn.

UPDATE: Mismanagement at it's finest.

Very mismanaged environment and not a healthy workplace amongst the employees. They expect you to pick deliveries purely by yourself rather than as a team lift. Or not even supply safety gloves working around cardboard actively. Also is perfectly okay with employees who harass others and will not discipline them. I was actually fired for being harassed and coming forward about it to management. To add insult to injury, I had no HR team I could contact at all. Not that I'd want to work for a company okay with favoritism and harassment. As well, in terms of just as a job its really not worth it. They offer no competitive pay whatsoever (only minimum wage), no benefits of any kind, no sick pay, and they only give you two personal days. Also they only give summers off but you have to go on EI to even have money. You can find way better paying warehouse job elsewhere that has more to offer and doesn't tolerate harassment. I deleted an older review only so I could warn people about how awful this company is and how badly its management is. Keep applying for jobs people, better are out there.

'twas ok

started off good, ended pretty badly. would not recommend until most of the workforce is replaced. i need to type more this is really really stupid god.

No hope, Good until you expect anything from them.

Strictly selfish company that doesn’t feel or do anything about the lower rank work force. Treats them as nobody, wants 100% from you, may be 200%, but don’t want to do anything for you. Of course because the top and middle leve management, who will always behave nicely but won’t mean a thing they tell you. Pretentious and mean at what they do. No growth (maybe if you are a specific race, maybe if you love bootlicking, maybe if you don’t ever voice your opinion and are full of YES MAM), no opportunities, try somewhere else and you would at least reach somewhere or recognized after 6 months. This company is going to fail you if you are entry level.

Pros

Mismanaged and hence you can waste time if that’s what you seek

Cons

No growth, no recognition, lots of politics, selfish and spineless people treating you unfairly over and over

Productive and fun workplace

It was a good first job. I worked as a picker and helped packing sometimes when needed. I made good friends while I worked there and we shared many laughs.

fun place

loved working there i dont understand why i have to type all this just to get my resume uploaded especially 150 min characters oh my lanta we are so close bye

Productive and fun workplace

Good experience and really enjoyed my time there. Very professional and fair workplace, love the staff. The hardest part of the job was to keep my energy going, however overall the pay made it worth it.

Pros

workplace

Cons

Best company in the world to work for

Best company in the world to work for! They treat each employee like a valued member of the company. They create a safe and comfortable environment and promote safe learning, which is amazing! Management is beyond amazing. Very respectable company! Best place I have ever worked. Extremely happy I got to experience that wonderful work environment that showed me my potential!

It was great while it lasted! loved having the summers off when the children were small.

It was a great company to work for. Executive management changes changed the whole environment of the company. Restructuring meant many job losses. Great product...great people to work with.

Pros

Great Co Workers

Cons

Low staffing levels makes every job very very busy!

Good

It is a good company to work with and also the employees are always willing and ready to assist in the continous improvement of new employees. Normal salary scale

Friendly work environment

Typical day take customer orders and provide good customer service. Beginning of school season usually busy after a few months not busy. Friendly people and work environment.

Pros

People are friendly, employee bookstore

Cons

No job security, Summer months offs, Not ideal job for those who have a family to support.

Friendly environment

A good place to work. There are a lot of internal opportunities for advancement. Working the phones was interesting and kept me busy. Would work there again.

Pros

Opportunity for extra work.

Cons

Almost minimum wage.

Very poor pay

I work at scholastic Canada and I make only 16/hr after 22 years in the company working full time. Work atmosphere is good and people are nice but Salary is too low

alright place

This place is a good place to work, but it is constantly doing the same thing for the whole shift. You will be pricing books all day everyday when working there.

Friendly environment but busy!

It's generally busy because the call volume is generally high. I was trained on all skillsets and I am working on advanced tasks along with assisting supervisors.

Pros

Cheap books and employee store

Cons

Being late by one minute is a big problem

Good for a temporary stay

Was a good place to work until management change and staff shake up. No longer a good environment. Management is very inexperienced. Wouldn't recommend it.

very organized place to work

I enjoyed working for scholastics because I was always keeping busy there was always something to do. the people in the workplace were very friendly and the work was not hard it was just very competitive.

Very team oriented, fun environment, fast-paced.

I really loved my job as an order picker/shipper for Scholastic, great team to work with, nice hours, summer off, and no weekends which is great. Though the pay was quite low, I still enjoyed the environment and I feel things would have been different had the branch I was working for stayed open.

Pros

Great team environment, work/life balance, good hours, fun product

Cons

Poor communication at times, poor schedule planning, not a lot of room for advancement

great work environment

I was a contract(seasonal) employee for short term but really enjoyed working here. The employees and managers were very nice and helpful .

Pros

great work environment

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Scholastic. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.1 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement