Scholar's Choice

Scholar's Choice Employee Reviews

Good people, fun time, good experience

Goes from very fast-paced to slow-paced in a matter of minutes. Great co-workers, alright management. Good hours, only get breaks after 5 hours of work though, which may not be an issue to some. Pretty relaxed environment. Hardest part was learning the system of cash since ours was from the 1990's. Easiest part is facing everything and making the store look presentable.

Abandoned employees during pandemic

Company laying off employees with no payout during pandemic and closing almost all stores by June Making employees work and expose themselves to virus No thanks and no appreciation

Nice place to work

Two office dogs make the environment fun to come into every morning. Respectful environment. Can bring your children to work. Relaxed workplace. People are very good to work with. Relaxed environment.

Easy and Slow Paced

Typical day at work is serving a handful of customers. When you're not doing that its just tidying up the store or assisting day cares with over the phones orders. Really easy job, but pay sucks.

Show favouritism majorly

This place is so unorganized and under staffed when they expect full staff work to be done they’ve had more people leave then come in They greatly show favouritism where the managers friends will legitimately sit in the managers office for over an hour and they’ll talk about non work related subjects but if you’re talking on the floor to someone about anything for over a minute they try to come down on you about it recently 2 people did something one was fired for it the (which is one of the friends/favourites w) was put on forced vacation another claimed to have joined afternoon shift was only seen staying till the end of the shift maybe twice he did a six hour shift took four breaks and yet nothing was said and if anyone mentions anything about them they do nothing about it this place is very boring unorganized and unfair to its workers I highly don’t recommend working here they say about their pay raises if you do long term here you better plan on waiting cause they ain’t coming you should expect a few threats like the out bursts of them saying they’ve gotten the go ahead of firing everyone and if the understaffed workers don’t pick up the pace and do a full staff job (while on mandatory 5 hour overtime) will also have mandatory Saturday overtime aswell meanwhile you know those favourites getting away with leaving early and messing around people are starting to realize it and get sick of it they’ll soon have nobody to work for them

They show favouritism

I worked here for a seasonal contact. Because I was seasonal I was expected to work all overtime or I would be terminated while many long term employees left after 8 hours.

Unfair

Excellent in store management with head office being horrible. Not helpful at all, expectations are too high for a company who mays minimum wage. Upper management lives in huge nice houses while other employees struggle to pay rent. Very unfair. At a store level though I loved it there, everyone is friendly and mangers are amazing

Love the companies “Code of Ethics”!

Super group of people to work with toward common goals in our community! Satisfying to be a part of a successful Canadian retail business thriving in this tough generational market. Each weekly gathering the teams ensure they share gratitude for the week and events in their professional and private lives, its pretty cool.

Fun and learning go together!

* lots of fun * learned how to be more professional * great * great place with a great culture * none * interacting with people from all walks of life

On the Up and Up

The culture here can be really fun. Everyone likes to smile and have fun, but there is a solid work environment as well. The managers can be really supportive and help with advancement and career development.

Jobs at Scholar's Choice

See more jobs

Great workplace

Scholars Choice is a great place to work. The staff are friendly, hard-working and understanding. The job isn't tiresome at all, and after a day's work I feel accomplished and eager to return back to work the next day.

Work Life At Scholar's

What I have learned since being employed with Scholar's Choice is how this company is a REAL Canadian owned family company. Family is number one both within the business and with their employees. Not too many companies are like this today!! I usually arrive 15-20 minutes early to get myself organized before the work day starts. I usually prioritize my work to complete the most important work first. During the day there is always time for a little bit of fun:) The best thing about the job is the people I work with. Always supportive and offering help when needed,

Shipping Dept

Good morning a typical day at Scholars Choice, we start with our annual huddle meeting, informing of what is the daily work load is going to be like. Then we all branch off after our meeting and start with a daily clean up in the warehouse. I myself and a team of three, or depending on how busy the wok load my be, I daily task is to insure that all parcels are ready to be shipped out on a daily basis.

Great management team

The management is very lenient and very nice they will help work around whatever for you if it helps and they’re caring for their staff when it’s come to safety and everything they try to make it feel as if the workplace is one big family especially with the gratitude meetings

My view

I’ve learned quite a bit about Scholars choice in 2 months. My co- workers have been very kind and patient with me. The hardest part is only earning minimum wage. The best part is using my knowledge to help customers.

Yay scholars choice

Great place to work, awesome atmosphere and hours. Customers are almost always pleasant as is the staff. However I have had numerous friends, family and customers complain about the horrendous music we’re required to play throughout the day.

Fulfilling work

Great place to work and it is very fulfilling to help our customers and make a difference in a child's life. Great work/life balance, management is great at accommodating

Scholars Choice

I love my job I learn something new everyday . Scholars Choice is a good place to work. It is a family company and all staff are valued and respected . I have watched the grow in so many ways from better business strategies to strong core values . This company supports everyone not just in your job but with who you are .

A fantastic company, 5 stars

Scholar's Choice is a family run business with a strong focus on core values and a family first approach. With lots of long term employees this company shows its true colours and lives by the core values everyday. Great culture with a fun and fast paced work environment in a team atmosphere. Every day you are able to contribute to making children's lives better.

A Fun Place to Work

A fun place to work with a great team and manager. I have learned how to use a new computer software system, how to do the opening procedures for the store and how to do the nightly closing paperwork for a retail store. I learned all this over the age of 60. The best part of the job is meeting new people and helping parents and teachers.

Great family-oriented company

Everyone at Scholar's Choice is like family and we all help each other. Atmosphere at work is friendly and welcoming. Kids are priority and core values are part of the company culture -for everyone, at anytime-. You will be supported if you are capable and determined to work harder to improve in your career.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Scholar's Choice. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.9Job security/advancement