Schnitzer Steel

Schnitzer Steel Employee Reviews

Canada30 reviews
Schnitzer was a good steady company to work for. The loacl yard has changed hands and management now so I can't say what it's like there now.
Was a good job, hauled a variety of recyclables from a variety of industrial sites, so the was a nice variety of locations and each day wasn't the same as the last. Worked with good people, management was also good.
Terrible management and horrific work conditions
I was hired at the beginning of the pandemic and had 1 week of training. The remainder of the month I was left on my own with absolutely no help with regards to how the system worked. Fast paced and very unorganized. The management was horrible and no breaks whatsoever, had to try and eat at my desk with customers constantly coming through the door and vehicles on the scale. There is no light for the trucks and vehicles, had to give a "thumbs up". the computers were always failing and crashing. After 1.5 months I was laid off due to the virus and then brought back to try and pick up again with losing some of the knowledge from my training. After 3 weeks back, I was fired for really no apparent reason. I was told that I didn't fit in. My work was completed in efficient and correct order. This company has essentially weak management and horrific company ethics for the position offered. I would not recommend any young woman or mature woman this job. I am reporting my issues with the Labour board.
The store manager at Pick N Pull Barlow is a races he doesnt show any respect to his employee that give stressfull environment.
Schnitzer steel is very nice company to work with, we have a code of conduct being practice by the employee that make the company world most Ethical but it doesnt happen to Pick N Pull barlow, the Store Manager dont know what is integrity and respect. He doesnt deal that to his employee and to Customer, customer who didnt sign the log book in going in is banned to enter the store premises.
loved working here
i enjoed working here, co workers were awesome and the customers were great as well, pay was good and differently great experience and would love to work here again
Disorganized and different rules for different people.
Constantly belittled by management over the radio. MGMT will tell you one thing and do another. Different privelegas giving to different people. MGMT will say no to something the literally do exactly the same thing if it's too their benefit. Instead of training and promoting the hard working guys that have been their for years they constantly hire someone new instead of training the guys who have put in the time for years. Expect lay offs twice a year minimum. Corporate beaucracy is what this company thrives on. Foreman and yard manager are high paid bullies
Pros
Breaks
Cons
Unappreciated dirty work
manipulative
threatening to take your job away daily. bad pay scale. very cheap. room for advancement with no raises. you get overtime in place of good wages. never fix equipment and use archaic haul trucks that break down everyday and blow carbon black smoke in your face all day.
Pros
great workers.
Cons
management is clueless and ignorant. don't wanna pay you what you are worth
heavy layoffs
Company was not properly run by management which led to very heavy layoffs as company was trying to save money. Fellow employees were good to work with.
Great place to Work
If your not scared of hard work and getting dirty then this is a great place for you. Good pay and great benifits plus a solid group of people and great managment
gained experience
i worked for schnitzer steel for a coupple years and enjoyed every moment of it all the crews were really good to work with got to see al of the oil sands
Schnitzer is a great place to work. Good to employees with lots of room to advance. I learned more in three months about office work than I thought I could thanks to a great office manager.
Pros
Great wages
Cons
No job security
co-workers where very helpful
They no longer have employed long haul drivers everything is owner operator. Not sure what it is like now as they are a American company and no longer live in area to find out what it is like there now.
Productive and perfect place for work
I loved working st pick n pull and it was really good place and safety was a good concern and they cared about the employes and we were like a familly and we did and get the job done the right way
Pros
Free lunches sometimes
Cons
Long hours and over time
Exrtemely great place to work, miss that place
Best job I ever had, I wish there wasn't so many cut backs and so many division that got closed without notice, was extremely sad to leave there.
everyone was promised job security, but a year later 300+ employees lost their jobs across Canada.

If i was asked to go back i would in heart beat.
Great Place to work
Schnitzer was a great place to work (Surrey). Its too bad that the metal commodity industry isnt very stable, which did affect my employment. Management was good and culture was generally good. Wages could have been a bit higher, as my position was paid averagely compared to industry standard. This was a very enjoyable place to work and the people are fantastic. I was sad to leave.
Great company in a tough business
A great company to work for in a very tough business. Despite market challenges the Management team is extremely supportive.

If you can handle a volatile market this is a great place to work.
Pros
Mentorship, Support, Challenges
Cons
Long Hours, Stress, Economic uncertainty
Good community of people to work with.
Good company to work for. Layed back mentality with most co workers. Could use some management structuring. The place is located on a section of property traded by a train track. Hard place to leave if you need to get somewhere on time.
steady work
-receiving trucks and loading trucks with materials
-processing and sorting materials

-organizing and starting the crew for work day

-love what I do so long hours don't bother me
Pros
paid lunches
Cons
to many cheifs
need managers who know the industry !
company has great potential, too many bean counters and no knowledgeable experienced managers, just over educated no experience managers.
Pros
decent pay
Cons
terrible managers
Overlooking Operations
Responsible to ensure operations were ran effectively on a daily basis. Inexperience in the scrap steel industry was working against me along with minimum supervision and coaching. shortage of manpower and equipment did not allow our team to properly bid or complete a job in a timely manner which effected our ability to establish clientele.
Pros
Opportunity for work and contracts were readily available
Cons
Poorly managed, and insufficient resources to completed day to day operations
challengeing and tons of experiance with lots of equiptment
it was a good place to work but no balance between work and home was allways on call day and night but also a good company to work for good people and management
Pros
lots of hours lots of overtime free to modify equipment as needed
Cons
on call 24 hours
Good benefits but not a stable environment for a career
not to bad to work for but the only problem is that stability within the company is very bad. even if you do your job you could be without 1 due to company cut backs. the staff is good and work very hard to make the company money but the prob is that it is publicly traded so staff cuts are inevitable.
Pros
pay/benefits
Cons
stability
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Schnitzer Steel. Our community is ready to answer.
2.6