Schnitzer Steel Employee Reviews

Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hinton, AB13 July 2017
Schnitzer is a great place to work. Good to employees with lots of room to advance. I learned more in three months about office work than I thought I could thanks to a great office manager.
Pros
Great wages
Cons
No job security
co-workers where very helpful
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Chilliwack, BC22 April 2017
They no longer have employed long haul drivers everything is owner operator. Not sure what it is like now as they are a American company and no longer live in area to find out what it is like there now.
Productive and perfect place for work
Heavy Equipment Operator/production leader (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB27 February 2017
I loved working st pick n pull and it was really good place and safety was a good concern and they cared about the employes and we were like a familly and we did and get the job done the right way
Pros
Free lunches sometimes
Cons
Long hours and over time
Exrtemely great place to work, miss that place
Parts Department Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC22 February 2017
Best job I ever had, I wish there wasn't so many cut backs and so many division that got closed without notice, was extremely sad to leave there.
everyone was promised job security, but a year later 300+ employees lost their jobs across Canada.
If i was asked to go back i would in heart beat.
Great Place to work
Health & Safety Specialist (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC24 August 2016
Schnitzer was a great place to work (Surrey). Its too bad that the metal commodity industry isnt very stable, which did affect my employment. Management was good and culture was generally good. Wages could have been a bit higher, as my position was paid averagely compared to industry standard. This was a very enjoyable place to work and the people are fantastic. I was sad to leave.
Great company in a tough business
Regional Buyer (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC21 June 2016
A great company to work for in a very tough business. Despite market challenges the Management team is extremely supportive.

If you can handle a volatile market this is a great place to work.
Pros
Mentorship, Support, Challenges
Cons
Long Hours, Stress, Economic uncertainty
Good community of people to work with.
Journeymen Heavy Duty Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Surrey BC10 June 2016
Good company to work for. Layed back mentality with most co workers. Could use some management structuring. The place is located on a section of property traded by a train track. Hard place to leave if you need to get somewhere on time.
steady work
Supervisor/Heavy Duty Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC22 March 2016
-receiving trucks and loading trucks with materials
-processing and sorting materials
-organizing and starting the crew for work day
-love what I do so long hours don't bother me
Pros
paid lunches
Cons
to many cheifs
need managers who know the industry !
former employee (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC2 January 2016
company has great potential, too many bean counters and no knowledgeable experienced managers, just over educated no experience managers.
Pros
decent pay
Cons
terrible managers
Overlooking Operations
Operations Manager & HSE Representative (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB11 July 2015
Responsible to ensure operations were ran effectively on a daily basis. Inexperience in the scrap steel industry was working against me along with minimum supervision and coaching. shortage of manpower and equipment did not allow our team to properly bid or complete a job in a timely manner which effected our ability to establish clientele.
Pros
Opportunity for work and contracts were readily available
Cons
Poorly managed, and insufficient resources to completed day to day operations
challengeing and tons of experiance with lots of equiptment
Millwright Apprentice (Former Employee) –  BC23 March 2015
it was a good place to work but no balance between work and home was allways on call day and night but also a good company to work for good people and management
Pros
lots of hours lots of overtime free to modify equipment as needed
Cons
on call 24 hours
Good benefits but not a stable environment for a career
Transportation Dispatch supervisor (Current Employee) –  surrey13 January 2015
not to bad to work for but the only problem is that stability within the company is very bad. even if you do your job you could be without 1 due to company cut backs. the staff is good and work very hard to make the company money but the prob is that it is publicly traded so staff cuts are inevitable.
Pros
pay/benefits
Cons
stability
Rewarding environment very flexible job
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB20 December 2014
Operate Heavy Equipment
General Labor
Very fast paced work environment
Very flexible hours
Family oriented team
Great recognition for good work.
Driver/Operator (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC13 August 2014
It can be a challenging place at times, but they are never shy about providing you with the safety equipment and training that you require, and they will recognize and promote those that they think are deserving. They aren't the most generous with their wages and salaries, but they are at least average.
Great people, bad economy
SCALE OPERATOR/ASSISTANT ADMINISTRATOR (Former Employee) –  Victoria18 March 2014
Was challenged in ways I hadn't been before in previous jobs, office manager was fantastic. People at the location and in the company at other locations all very helpful.
Unfortunately the company is dependant on the metal market being strong to secure jobs so unless you have your Occupational First Aid Level 3 your job isn't a forever thing.
Pros
great people, fun clientele, challenging
Cons
clientèle can be very trying and stubborn
great place to work and to bad they closed shop
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Chilliwack18 February 2014
good place to work....long hours and high miles. Everybody there was good to work with..Winters can get alittle hard. Sometimes the Roads can be bad but other then that I injoyed driving
Pros
well looked after trucks and equipment
productive,no fun job
Labour (Current Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC10 February 2014
This company is not a good place to work and for this im in search of other work.
Pros
there are non
Cons
under staffed
Safety minded company with agenda to down size
Senior Welder/Fabricator (Former Employee) –  Victoria BC13 April 2013
I very much enjoyed working in the steel recycling industry , being a welder fabricator it was like working in a candy store
Pretty good experience at Schnitzer Steel.
SAI Business Partner (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC27 February 2013
My main task was to ensure business processes were in place to use SAI as the ERP system. That meant learning the business and system we were migrating to, but had no documentation or any foreknowledge of what the new system was like. It was a culture shift for the employees as Schnitzer (large corporation) had just moved into Canada(a bunch of small companies). My main task was to prepare the employees and make sure the business did not shut down when the system went live. The people from head office were great. The project went fairly smoothly.

Then Schnitzer expanded further into Canada, and I had to be able to travel with less than a day's notice to meet the new employees and train and have them up and running even if the ERP system was not in place. I found myself travelling, sometimes 3 weeks of the month with only 1 or 2 day's notice of where I should be. Most times, I felt I did not have enough time to properly train most people.

Schnitzer is a good company to work for. They strive to have great ethics and they treated me very well. However, the business is mapped very closely to the commodities market and when the US economy is poor, so is the business. I saw the stock price drop 40% in a 1 month period and when that happens, the company needs to do drastic things like layoffs with little notice. They seemed to have to do that often.
Pros
the work is interesting and the people i worked with were great, both clients and suppliers were great to deal with also.
Cons
nature of the business leaves little room for work life balance. also job security.
Another community service swallowed up by Corporate America
Retail Yard Clerk/Scale Assistant (Former Employee) –  Duncan, BC31 January 2013
When I started working for Steel Pacific, before they were bought out by Schnitzer, I enjoyed what they stood for; "Keep It In Play". As an avid recycler, I loved the idea of re-selling good "junk", and recycling what was left. Now however, the model has been changed to crush everything and sell it as scrap, and other services like toilet and tire recycling have disappeared. The loss of the "Outdoor Hardware Store" was a bitter pill to chew for regulars of the last 50 years, and now it's just another Corporate metal crusher - hot, stinky, and streamlined.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Schnitzer Steel. Our community is ready to answer.