Schnitzer Steel

Schnitzer Steel Employee Reviews

Was a good job, hauled a variety of recyclables from a variety of industrial sites, so the was a nice variety of locations and each day wasn't the same as the last. Worked with good people, management was also good.
working at schnitzer steel was great! the people are understanding and hard working, and any problems that arise are worked through in a calm and neutral manner. things do get really hectic especially in the non ferrous side of things however with good communication skills the job is good. i learned alot here and they put me through training on the forklift and an hrai certificate.
During the interview they make it seem you will have a normal work schedule. As the company is very number driven you need to make up short coming even thoight you are short staffed. As a manager I knew on salary to work few extra hours would be normal but it became 10 hour days and 6 days a week and if you made any noise about proper compensation you would have your job threatened
Pros
Most of the coworker were pleasant good benefits of you could ever get time off to actually use them
Cons
Low pay.. over worked
I was hired at the beginning of the pandemic and had 1 week of training. The remainder of the month I was left on my own with absolutely no help with regards to how the system worked. Fast paced and very unorganized. The management was horrible and no breaks whatsoever, had to try and eat at my desk with customers constantly coming through the door and vehicles on the scale. There is no light for the trucks and vehicles, had to give a "thumbs up". the computers were always failing and crashing. After 1.5 months I was laid off due to the virus and then brought back to try and pick up again with losing some of the knowledge from my training. After 3 weeks back, I was fired for really no apparent reason. I was told that I didn't fit in. My work was completed in efficient and correct order. This company has essentially weak management and horrific company ethics for the position offered. I would not recommend any young woman or mature woman this job. I am reporting my issues with the Labour board.
Schnitzer steel is very nice company to work with, we have a code of conduct being practice by the employee that make the company world most Ethical but it doesnt happen to Pick N Pull barlow, the Store Manager dont know what is integrity and respect. He doesnt deal that to his employee and to Customer, customer who didnt sign the log book in going in is banned to enter the store premises.
i enjoed working here, co workers were awesome and the customers were great as well, pay was good and differently great experience and would love to work here again
Constantly belittled by management over the radio. MGMT will tell you one thing and do another. Different privelegas giving to different people. MGMT will say no to something the literally do exactly the same thing if it's too their benefit. Instead of training and promoting the hard working guys that have been their for years they constantly hire someone new instead of training the guys who have put in the time for years. Expect lay offs twice a year minimum. Corporate beaucracy is what this company thrives on. Foreman and yard manager are high paid bullies
Pros
Breaks
Cons
Unappreciated dirty work
threatening to take your job away daily. bad pay scale. very cheap. room for advancement with no raises. you get overtime in place of good wages. never fix equipment and use archaic haul trucks that break down everyday and blow carbon black smoke in your face all day.
Pros
great workers.
Cons
management is clueless and ignorant. don't wanna pay you what you are worth
Company was not properly run by management which led to very heavy layoffs as company was trying to save money. Fellow employees were good to work with.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Schnitzer Steel?
If your not scared of hard work and getting dirty then this is a great place for you. Good pay and great benifits plus a solid group of people and great managment
i worked for schnitzer steel for a coupple years and enjoyed every moment of it all the crews were really good to work with got to see al of the oil sands
Schnitzer is a great place to work. Good to employees with lots of room to advance. I learned more in three months about office work than I thought I could thanks to a great office manager.
Pros
Great wages
Cons
No job security
They no longer have employed long haul drivers everything is owner operator. Not sure what it is like now as they are a American company and no longer live in area to find out what it is like there now.
I loved working st pick n pull and it was really good place and safety was a good concern and they cared about the employes and we were like a familly and we did and get the job done the right way
Pros
Free lunches sometimes
Cons
Long hours and over time
Best job I ever had, I wish there wasn't so many cut backs and so many division that got closed without notice, was extremely sad to leave there. everyone was promised job security, but a year later 300+ employees lost their jobs across Canada. If i was asked to go back i would in heart beat.
Schnitzer was a great place to work (Surrey). Its too bad that the metal commodity industry isnt very stable, which did affect my employment. Management was good and culture was generally good. Wages could have been a bit higher, as my position was paid averagely compared to industry standard. This was a very enjoyable place to work and the people are fantastic. I was sad to leave.
A great company to work for in a very tough business. Despite market challenges the Management team is extremely supportive. If you can handle a volatile market this is a great place to work.
Pros
Mentorship, Support, Challenges
Cons
Long Hours, Stress, Economic uncertainty
Good company to work for. Layed back mentality with most co workers. Could use some management structuring. The place is located on a section of property traded by a train track. Hard place to leave if you need to get somewhere on time.
-receiving trucks and loading trucks with materials -processing and sorting materials -organizing and starting the crew for work day -love what I do so long hours don't bother me
Pros
paid lunches
Cons
to many cheifs
company has great potential, too many bean counters and no knowledgeable experienced managers, just over educated no experience managers.
Pros
decent pay
Cons
terrible managers
Responsible to ensure operations were ran effectively on a daily basis. Inexperience in the scrap steel industry was working against me along with minimum supervision and coaching. shortage of manpower and equipment did not allow our team to properly bid or complete a job in a timely manner which effected our ability to establish clientele.
Pros
Opportunity for work and contracts were readily available
Cons
Poorly managed, and insufficient resources to completed day to day operations
  1. Employee reviews