Schlegel Villages Employee Reviews

Good place to work, with quality management.
Staff Nurse (Current Employee) –  Whitby, ON3 July 2018
Each RPN works on unit with 30 patients
Management works with employees and provides appropriate feedback
Colleagues work well together
Work load is high
Pros
Staff work well together
Cons
High Work Load
Team members are very helpful in all aspects
Dietary Aide (Current Employee) –  Windsor, ON27 May 2018
The most enjoyable part of my job is the interaction with the neighbours. Meal service is a limited period of time so I will try to interact with as many as possible and the ones I don't see that day, I will make sure to follow up the next time i have an opportunity.
Pros
job security
Cons
not enough turnover for full time
Rude schedule coordinator
Psw (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON17 May 2018
Staff are friendly. Non supportive home coordinator and very rude scheduler!!! She wants me to work by the available schedule not my availability where in the first place its in the contract that i will only work only on my availability since im casual psw. Its take it or quit... so i quit, dont want to work qith that kind of people.
Pros
New building
Cons
Scheduler's attitude and coordinators.
Terrible place
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON8 May 2018
Definitely the worst place you could possibly work. If you want to be depressed work here. Management is pure evil and only cares about their favourites and boy do they love to fire ppl. Do not work here!
Very friendly people and great environment
Data Entry (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON24 April 2018
This is a great place to work, fantastic and very friendly staff and residents make your day more enjoyable and fun. Very flexible in working around your schedule outside of work and your home life.
Feels like a family
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Burlington17 January 2018
Have worked at The Village of Tansley woods in Burlington for 12+ years and have enjoyed every minute. Started off as a casual recreation therapist and have grown ever since. The communication And engagement from residents, team members and management is key. Love the family atmosphere and have brought my kids to the village to meet the residents and team.
Pros
Great team
Student
Nursing Student Consolidation, Dementia Unit (Former Employee) –  Canada1 November 2017
Had a good experience here, was a great place to learn and interact with all the people. I will recommend anyone to join this company because they treat people well.
Horrible place to work
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON5 September 2017
This is by far the worst place I have ever worked. I was being bullied by my supervisor, I wasn't given the opportunity to further my career within the company, they refused to let the employees choose their own union. I highly suggest looking somewhere else for work.
Pros
non
Cons
everything
Not a very supportive work environment
Director of Food Services and Hospitality (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON28 August 2017
Loved the job and the residents but didn't feel supported by upper management. Not much job security. Great vision but don't seem to stand behind their values.
Would not recomend working here.
RPN,PWS, Laundry (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON28 August 2017
I had worked there for many years and the management team were never supportive, in fact they would find fault. The teams they would hire were insubordinate to most of the nurses, there was little team work. You only went anywhere if you were a management favorite. You work very hard for little pay and get no recognition for it.
Pros
It was work.
Cons
Not team players, no management support.
Productive Workplace
Food Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON14 August 2017
A typical day at work would be coming in early to set up your station for the dishes. Get the condiments, glasses of water, juice, wine carts, and coffee ready for dinner. Write down the menu for the evening, and start serving juice and coffee as the residents come to sit down. After dinner, serve dessert, clean tables, take garbage out, wash dishes, and set up the tables for breakfast.

I learned that you have to be a people person, because you're going to be talking to the residents, and getting to know them. You need to be detailed oriented, and able to work in a fast paced environment.

Management, is alright. Sometimes they are able to meet your every need ( time off, extra shifts, etc...) but sometimes they can't for obvious reasons. However, if you work part-time, and just changed your position to casual because you're going to university/college, good luck getting your hours back for holidays and summer. Sometimes you might be able to work on holidays but as for the summer, you won't be getting your hours back. You'll most likely be getting low hours during the summer.

The hardest part of the job is getting everything done on time, but if you're fast and don't cut corners, then you'll be fine.

The most enjoyable part of the job is getting to know the residents. They love to talk to the staff about their life and what they did, and I personally love talking to them. Another enjoyable part of the job is that all the staff is there to help you out when you need help. Everyone is really nice, and loves their job.
Pros
Meet new friends
Cons
Won't receive hours in the summer if you're a college/university student
Changing the way people age
Kinesiologist (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON22 June 2017
Great opportunity to get involved in the organization to implement change in multiple locations to better the lives of the people who live and recieve care from the team members
Pros
Schedule flexibility
Poor Leadership
Dietary Aide (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON1 June 2017
Staff are friendly. Good interaction with residents. Very poor Management. Managers really need to work on "people skills". Can't be friendly to residents then talk down to staff.
Pros
Always available shifts. Decent wages.
Cons
Usually short of supplies due to incompetent ordering.
Amazing please to work
Chef (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON3 May 2017
It's a great place to work, the management team is understanding and amazing. Working with the residents is an incredible treat. I thoroughly enjoy getting to see my residents when I walk in for my shift.
The best workplace I could've asked for
Dietary Aide (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON1 March 2017
I never expected to love a job as much as I love working with Schlegel Villages. The opportunities are fantastic and abundant. Management is incredible. Working with our residents is an enlightening and joyful experience.
Great Place to Work
Laundry and Housekeeping (Current Employee) –  Windsor, ON17 November 2016
This is a great place to work. A typical day at work includes communicating with the residents (within their rooms, and in common areas) learning about their lives and personalities, as well as the other staff on the neighborhoods. As a housekeeper, the job entails cleaning the resident rooms, common areas, some areas on mainstreet, and deep cleaning.

I've learned that everyday is different and employees have to take them in stride, because individuals suffering from dementia and Alzheimer's exhibit different personalities everyday. Most of the time the residents have expressions, to which they aren't sincere, and you learn to brush it off.

Management is awesome; each department has their own manager, as well as the general management who oversee the running of the entire building. Many are very friendly and willing to assist in whatever way they can.

Co-workers mainly mingle within their departments, but strive to be cross-functional, meaning offering assistance to other departments as needed to provide superb care to the residents.

The hardest part of the job is when a resident passes away. After sometime on the same neighborhood, employees grow attached to the people. When they pass away, it's as if we are losing a part of the family.

The most enjoyable part of the job is the conversations; you never know what individuals from dementia and Alzheimer's will come up with in terms of a conversation. Topics can range from their pasts including significant others, children, grandchildren, their experiences to unfortunate non-lucid conversations.
Pros
Education advances your knowledge about dementia, Alzheimer's and how to assist individuals suffering from those diseases.
Cons
Mostly female, so drama is sometimes an issue.
Personal support worker
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON18 October 2016
I loved this job. It was very rewarding in many ways - personally, financially and self-fulfilling as well. The pay was good, the employees and residents were welcoming to new faces, and we kind of developed our own little "work family".
Pros
everything else
Cons
straight afternoons
Fun place
Dietary Aide (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON15 June 2016
Manager and co-workers are very helpful.
I enjoyed my job life.
They are supportive.
Worker environment is very comfortable, flexible.
Pros
some time they provide snacks
Cons
Depend on ours
An excellence place to volunteer for youth and adults
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON9 April 2016
Your duties as a volunteer are very flexible. You can commit to what ever job you feel you can do, and are always given proper instruction and supervision when doing your work. There are always PSWs and RPNs nearby if you need help and everyone is very friendly. The work can be hard sometimes, such as in the case of events that last 5 hours + where you are on your feet serving food to guests, but it is also very rewarded seeing how happy the residents are. Volunteers are essential to the community and allow these holiday events and fundraisers to take place. By volunteering here, you are part of a welcoming, caring community of dedicated individuals who are compassionate and work hard towards improving the lives of the elderly.
Pros
Free lunches, dinners at catered events
Cons
sometimes long events
Placement time at Winston Park
Co-op Student Assist Care Recreation (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON5 February 2016
At Winston Park, the staffs and volunteers are very nice and welcoming. Staffs are very knowledgable, and fun people. residences are great and out going individuals. I really enjoyed my time there for placement. Very nice an clean facility, great staffs, its a nice place to be.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Schlegel Villages. Our community is ready to answer.