Schlegel Villages Employee Reviews

great staff and residents. poor management and even poorer wages
Charge Nurse (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON20 March 2019
I work at Winston Park Retirement Home. Retirement homes have always paid far less than nursing homes, but Schlegels pays $2 an hour less than other retirement homes." The work is extremely hard as many residents are nursing home level for care. Even with the high care level, we are still staffed like a retirement home. Retirement homes make much more money than nursing homes and yet they say they can't afford to pay us more. Their nursing home pays about $5 an hour more and has a larger staff to resident ratio and obviously they still make money or they wouldn't own so many of them.
There are many staff going on light duty. They say it's because when you are injured you need to get right back to work so that you don't lose function of the injured body part even though most doctors will tell you that you should rest for at least a week before returning to work.
Its because they don't want their comp. rates to increase. If you hurt yourself outside of work, where it won't affect their WSIB rates; they don't give you any hassles about taking time off. Staff have been told that even if they have to put them in a bed, they will show up for work. The WSIB forms that they give your doctor to fill out, don't even have a spot for the doctor to prescribe rest at home.
Ron Schlegel has been written up as a philanthropist in the Record many times and has won the Order of Canada. Those of us that work here know differently; as do the resident's who spend the entire amount of money they receive from the sale of their homes in a very short amount of time. Rent can be as high as
  more... $5000 a month or $60,0000 a year and that is without extra charges for extra services.
ie. being portered or walked to the dining room. Some of these people are paying a great deal for these services and are told it's because they have to put extra staff on to handle these extra services. This seldom happens; more often than not we are working short so we do the extras and Schlegels pocket the money.
Students who have been here can't believe the workload and seldom apply for a job here when they find out what the wage is. They say, "I could work in a nursing home for more money and less work, why would I want to work here?" Some come to work here and stay long enough to get the experience that they need for their resume and then leave.
They don't have a real pension plan. They will match staff contributions up to 4% of our wages. It sounds good but if you're living pay cheque to pay cheque like most of us because of our low wages, you can't contribute and therefore you have no pension.
Many of our workers are single moms and need every penny they make.
The managers treat us very poorly and do very little to help out when we are short staffed or when emergencies pop up. To be fair our general manager has often been seen serving coffee and tea in the dining room when we are short staffed. I don't know what the other managers tell him that they are doing, but you seldom see them pitch in to help.
It's like they're looking for people for discipline. People have been threatened with suspension over minor infractions such as forgetting to wear a name tag. You would think with the PSW shortage that they would treat their staff better and would do whatever they could to keep them happy. It seems that they delight in making us miserable. Back in the summer, they announced that they were going to "rearrange staffing". They cut nursing staff almost in half. They went from 3 full time nurses on days to 2. They went from 3 nurses from 3-11pm to one nurse and they went from 2 nurses on night shift to only one. There are over 200 residents and many of them are nursing home care level. Many PSW lines have gone from full-time to part-time. Not long before this they told us to be prepared for more complex care residents in the furture and they cut staff?? Does this sound like a company you want to work for? If it does please apply, we are always looking for help.
Many people have quit or are looking for jobs. Our contract expired over a year ago and we're wondering if we will get the same poor raise that we received the last time. We received 1.2% for one year and a little over 1% for the other year. The residents rent is raised at least 3% every year; meanwhile the food gets to be less and less and our wages barely rise. (o.14-0.24 cents an hour).
All of that aside I am here for the residents. They are a wonderful group of people and have a lot of wonderful life experiences to share and have great senses of humour and many care for us as if we are there family. (The feeling is mutual).
The staff are great and I have made friendships that will last for the rest of my life.
Pros
2 ugly male looking uniforms for FT and one for PT per year
Cons
hard work for very little pay
Frankly disgusted
Rpn (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON28 February 2019
Management is ridiculous. They only care about the RNs. They expect you to work like a dog and thank them for it. On days off you're called, you're even called when you're already there. The entire scheduling team is a joke. They can never get anyones hours right. Bullying is a constant from upper management ( especially RN to RPN). They dont care to understand situations they just want them dealt with. They dont care if you've never had an orientation day on a floor they just want the shift covered. They basically care about nothing but themselves. NCs do absolutely nothing, it's like their job is to sit there and talk but have no action. The older RNs are great but the others dont seem to know how to be professional. It's like this place works backwards.. they like to talk all about working together and teamwork but they themselves dont know what that is. They make you feel terrible about not taking shifts even when theres no way you could ( like if you're already there...) it's so stressful. They CONSTANTLY guilt trip people to try to get them to do doubles which is very awkward. They dont bother checking to see if the person is working till 10 and has a 6 am the next day.. they only care to fill gaps so RNs dont have to work. All I've seen most of the younger RNs do is walk around and talk.. some of the older ones are more responsible but for the most part they dont seem to do much either way. I think that this establishment should stop thinking so highly of NCs and RNs who basically do nothing.. and start appreciating the people who do the most work like the RPNs,  more... PSWs, Rec, ect, the people who actually interact with the residents in the village.. who, if they werent there.. you wouldnt have a workplace.  less
Pros
Some ( the older RNs) are awesome and amazing women
Cons
Basically everything else
Personal Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Windsor, ON31 January 2019
Very nice place to work, fun, supportive management. Very clean and professional workplace. Great recreation team and the residents are always happy. Look forward to the future here.
Meaningful work in a fun environment
Administrative Support (Current Employee) –  Whitby, ON21 January 2019
When working at Schlegel Villages you work in a Retirement or Long-Term Care Community. This work is very meaningful and people focused no matter what position you are in. I enjoy working with a large variety of professionals from food service aides, cooks, chefs, nurses, psw's, physiotherapists, doctors, recreation, housekeepers, and many more. Everyone works together to provide the best life experience for residents who live in the community (Village). I find that it has a positive work culture similar to what you would see in a small town. People are generally friendly, smile and say hi to visitors and family members. I have worked for Schlegel Villages for many years and would not have stayed as long as I have if I did not enjoy it or find it meaningful. For those that are looking for a working environment where they are truly helping others on a daily basis and enjoy working with people this is probably the place for you.
Pros
Nice building environment inside and out, annual staff appreciation party, leading change in seniors living
Cons
Can be longer hours based on resident needs.
Awful.
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON14 January 2019
I was a PSW at The Village and my experience was horrible. Administration was aggressive and unhelpful. I was a night shift PSW and my 'coordinator' would call me at 9am and leave voicemails demanding I call her back that day during business hours despite me having worked the night before so obviously I am sleeping. It was extremely disrespectful and disappointing. Like most LTC homes Schlegal is experiencing a shortage of PSWs. I was regularly working ALONE on a secured Alzheimer's/Dementia neighbourhood which was dangerous for myself and the neighbours. Despite being short they would not call for overtime, they would just have someone float over for 20 minutes to help with doubles during care twice a night and the rest of the time I was completely alone. There were many instances where neighbours could have been seriously injured by falls simply because I could not get to them in time and they were not cognitively able to keep themselves safe. A ratio of 1 PSW to 30+ elderly people with Alzheimers/Dementia is NEVER ok. My neighbours were wonderful and I miss them every day but the burn out, break downs and physical pain from working alone in those conditions is NOT worth the job. Not to mention the pay is low. They will drill into your head that you are "lucky" to work at such a nice place but it just isnt true. Its all an act.
Pros
The neighbours are wonderful and I loved them all
Cons
Everything else
Very negative work environment
Neighborhood Care Partner (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON15 December 2018
In theory this was supposed to be the best place for both residents and employees. However, it's a very negative place for both. I would never put a family member there nor would I ever work for them again. There is zero support from management . In fact management has their favorites. They don't take care of their staff unless you're someone whose willing to be used 16 hours a day 7 days a week and be belittled by staff who act superior. They pay 1 dollar above minimum wage and nights are not at a premium. They have a no lift policy which is not true. The management laughs and says if they don't see it happen then it's ok. Lift a 300 lb. person every day 4 times a day every day and you'll be needing a wheel chair in your 40s. It's not worth your health and not worth the hassle. The residents are amazing with the exception of a few who believe they own you. There is not enough staff to give the care that is required. Residents go without the care they require because of overworked staff who are underpaid and not supported by management. Go somewhere else.
Pros
The residents
Cons
Management, oppressive, and abusive environment.
Best in LTC
Psw (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON10 December 2018
As far as LTC goes, Schlegel is by far the best. Unfortunately they don’t pay their staff enough and getting a day off is like pulling teeth. Big burnout rates and many neighbourhoods don’t feel supported, but compared to where I’ve worked before they are definitely on the right track.
Pros
Residents Recieve great quality of life
Cons
Pay, inability to get days off
It's emotionally demanding with a heavy workload
Rpn (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON27 November 2018
1 RPN and 4 PSW to 32 residents per floor
8hr shifts, consistent shift of either morning, evening or night (unless asked to pick up shifts or do a double)
May get pulled to work on a floor you were not trained on. They just want all positions occupied regardless of how prepared or how the you feel.
Burned out nurses giving away lots of shifts.
Drama and gossip on all levels. PSWs on your floor not getting along. Bullying new employees/agency.
Management shows appreciation but it doesn't always bring up the morale of the person or team. There is lack of respect and empathy and privacy. Ineffective conflict resolution.
Hard to balance work and life when they constantly call on your day off to pick up shifts and guilt trip you.
It is difficult to ask for vacation or days off.
It is hard to call in sick without being judged, nurses should know best if/when they are sick.
Not much job security as they can fire you for whatever reason regardless of having a union.
Job Advancement: specialize (wound nurse, personal expressions, rai/qi etc.) Or work in management
No pay raise after 3 years

BUT when it comes to the resident/patient, the interdisciplinary team works their hardest together to meet their needs and expectations and takes pride in their work. The resident always comes first in a home-like environment set up as a village. This culture is changing the way people think and feel about nursing homes.
Pros
good interdisiplinary team, culture
Cons
Drama, workload vs pay, workplace politics, bullying
Very supportive staff and great atmosphere!
Personal Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON14 November 2018
Residents are content, happy, wish they could have more one on one time which is hard for us to find. Staff has good communication to keep everyone on board with any illnesses, or extra care needed. Great place to work.
Productive with very little to do
Entertainment Assistant (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON4 November 2018
A typical day at work for me at Schlegel Villages is to regularly check the recreational schedules for the residents who lived there and as well, constantly update the calendars each week. What I learned from this job was to be patient. Overall management was very organized, attendance and punctuality was highly regarded as well. One thing I liked about working in Schlegel Villages was how interactive is was; most the time, you are on your feet and you talk to the people around you, it was very engaging. The hardest part of the job was that there were times where it got a little boring since most of the residence were inactive and I consider myself a very enthusiastic individual, so that was one difficulty I had there. The most enjoyable part of the job was learning the trends that the residence used to have back in the day; I was exposed to many songs and movies that were popular during their time and I found that very amusing.
Pros
Work at your own pace
Cons
Very quiet
Windsor
RPN (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON3 November 2018
Worked as a RPN and its horrible the registered staff are worked like slaves, so much work you dont get any breaks. They have PSWs as management and tell you were all equal but they treat the RPNs as the under dogs the pay sucks for all the work expected, they do not help you but say if you have a problem they pair you with someone that is supposed to help you .l never met the person nor did they even try to reach out to me even after i emailed the company after they made me
Fill out a evaluation on how my supposedly care counselor was assisting me....or whatever they call them as i never got help or assistance from anyone. Some Psws are rude and lie on you and management believes them ,so they give you a hard time...l hated the place. Unprofessional as the management walk around bragging how much they partied and how drunk they got with swearing language in front of the neighbors.
Pros
Cons
Extra long hours not paid
Terrible place to work
Psw (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ON1 November 2018
Stay far away from the barrie location. Horrible management who dont care about the staff and the residents. You are always short staffed. The equipment is ancient and the staff do not clean properly. You get worked to the bone and hardly get enough income.
Pros
Nice residents
Cons
Long hrs, sort staffed, terrible management, very old dirty building
fun, upbeat
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON30 October 2018
resident centered care. an absolute fabulous place to work. iv had a lot of fun workimng there i highly recommend them, even though i was just a volunteer
No thanks !
NCP or Cert.PSW (Former Employee) –  Hamilton3 October 2018
Wasn't able to retrieve pay stubs, wasn't shown by staff I shadowed how to use POC. Upper management doesn't seem too concerned for staff issues, will address resident issues regarding staff (that's awesome), but they will stifle on addressing staff issues,. I reported something extremely serious , and I was not called to make an report about it, it was an issue around discriminatory, racist remark by a fellow co-worker more than one time . There wasn't a call back, no follow up . I was disgusted. I was paid a fraction of what other retirement homes make . Retirement does pay much less than LTC. I was not introduced to the union , or who my stewards were, no copy of the collective agreement was given to me .
Profit over people
Pros
Food prices for staff
Cons
Chasing management for answers to questions, not addressing issues within staff team, was not given any information about union, who stewards were, most employers will introduce the union, blatant favoritism from upper management, ñ
Great place to build relationships
Neighborhood Care Partner (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON30 July 2018
Working with elderly changes your life. You see and view things in a different perspective. You become close to those you work with, and build relationships with all of your residents.
Come to work here with a big heart, open it up to those around you. And build your love for others. Kindness, caring, motivated people work here.
super nice staff and amazing residents
Recreation Assistant (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON11 July 2018
I loved getting to volunteer there and talk to residents everyday, met some really awesome people. I always felt super welcome, always had something to do if it was just sitting and talking to some residents or having a coffee with one or running activities for them.
Pros
meet some amazing people
Cons
only volunterring
Good place to work, with quality management.
Staff Nurse (Current Employee) –  Whitby, ON3 July 2018
Each RPN works on unit with 30 patients
Management works with employees and provides appropriate feedback
Colleagues work well together
Work load is high
Pros
Staff work well together
Cons
High Work Load
Team members are very helpful in all aspects
Dietary Aide (Current Employee) –  Windsor, ON27 May 2018
The most enjoyable part of my job is the interaction with the neighbours. Meal service is a limited period of time so I will try to interact with as many as possible and the ones I don't see that day, I will make sure to follow up the next time i have an opportunity.
Pros
job security
Cons
not enough turnover for full time
Rude schedule coordinator
Psw (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON17 May 2018
Staff are friendly. Non supportive home coordinator and very rude scheduler!!! She wants me to work by the available schedule not my availability where in the first place its in the contract that i will only work only on my availability since im casual psw. Its take it or quit... so i quit, dont want to work qith that kind of people.
Pros
New building
Cons
Scheduler's attitude and coordinators.
Terrible place
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON8 May 2018
Definitely the worst place you could possibly work. If you want to be depressed work here. Management is pure evil and only cares about their favourites and boy do they love to fire ppl. Do not work here!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Schlegel Villages. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2