Schlegel Villages Employee Reviews

Very supportive staff and great atmosphere!
Personal Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON14 November 2018
Residents are content, happy, wish they could have more one on one time which is hard for us to find. Staff has good communication to keep everyone on board with any illnesses, or extra care needed. Great place to work.
Windsor
RPN (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON3 November 2018
Worked as a RPN and its horrible the registered staff are worked like slaves, so much work you dont get any breaks. They have PSWs as management and tell you were all equal but they treat the RPNs as the under dogs the pay sucks for all the work expected, they do not help you but say if you have a problem they pair you with someone that is supposed to help you .l never met the person nor did they even try to reach out to me even after i emailed the company after they made me
Fill out a evaluation on how my supposedly care counselor was assisting me....or whatever they call them as i never got help or assistance from anyone. Some Psws are rude and lie on you and management believes them ,so they give you a hard time...l hated the place. Unprofessional as the management walk around bragging how much they partied and how drunk they got with swearing language in front of the neighbors.
Pros
Cons
Extra long hours not paid
Terrible place to work
Psw (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ON1 November 2018
Stay far away from the barrie location. Horrible management who dont care about the staff and the residents. You are always short staffed. The equipment is ancient and the staff do not clean properly. You get worked to the bone and hardly get enough income.
Pros
Nice residents
Cons
Long hrs, sort staffed, terrible management, very old dirty building
No thanks !
NCP or Cert.PSW (Former Employee) –  Hamilton3 October 2018
Wasn't able to retrieve pay stubs, wasn't shown by staff I shadowed how to use POC. Upper management doesn't seem too concerned for staff issues, will address resident issues regarding staff (that's awesome), but they will stifle on addressing staff issues,. I reported something extremely serious , and I was not called to make an report about it, it was an issue around discriminatory, racist remark by a fellow co-worker more than one time . There wasn't a call back, no follow up . I was disgusted. I was paid a fraction of what other retirement homes make . Retirement does pay much less than LTC. I was not introduced to the union , or who my stewards were, no copy of the collective agreement was given to me .
Profit over people
Pros
Food prices for staff
Cons
Chasing management for answers to questions, not addressing issues within staff team, was not given any information about union, who stewards were, most employers will introduce the union, blatant favoritism from upper management, ñ
Great place to build relationships
Neighborhood Care Partner (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON30 July 2018
Working with elderly changes your life. You see and view things in a different perspective. You become close to those you work with, and build relationships with all of your residents.
Come to work here with a big heart, open it up to those around you. And build your love for others. Kindness, caring, motivated people work here.
Good place to work, with quality management.
Staff Nurse (Current Employee) –  Whitby, ON3 July 2018
Each RPN works on unit with 30 patients
Management works with employees and provides appropriate feedback
Colleagues work well together
Work load is high
Pros
Staff work well together
Cons
High Work Load
Team members are very helpful in all aspects
Dietary Aide (Current Employee) –  Windsor, ON27 May 2018
The most enjoyable part of my job is the interaction with the neighbours. Meal service is a limited period of time so I will try to interact with as many as possible and the ones I don't see that day, I will make sure to follow up the next time i have an opportunity.
Pros
job security
Cons
not enough turnover for full time
Rude schedule coordinator
Psw (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON17 May 2018
Staff are friendly. Non supportive home coordinator and very rude scheduler!!! She wants me to work by the available schedule not my availability where in the first place its in the contract that i will only work only on my availability since im casual psw. Its take it or quit... so i quit, dont want to work qith that kind of people.
Pros
New building
Cons
Scheduler's attitude and coordinators.
Terrible place
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON8 May 2018
Definitely the worst place you could possibly work. If you want to be depressed work here. Management is pure evil and only cares about their favourites and boy do they love to fire ppl. Do not work here!
Very friendly people and great environment
Data Entry (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON24 April 2018
This is a great place to work, fantastic and very friendly staff and residents make your day more enjoyable and fun. Very flexible in working around your schedule outside of work and your home life.
Feels like a family
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Burlington17 January 2018
Have worked at The Village of Tansley woods in Burlington for 12+ years and have enjoyed every minute. Started off as a casual recreation therapist and have grown ever since. The communication And engagement from residents, team members and management is key. Love the family atmosphere and have brought my kids to the village to meet the residents and team.
Pros
Great team
Student
Nursing Student Consolidation, Dementia Unit (Former Employee) –  Canada1 November 2017
Had a good experience here, was a great place to learn and interact with all the people. I will recommend anyone to join this company because they treat people well.
Horrible place to work
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON5 September 2017
This is by far the worst place I have ever worked. I was being bullied by my supervisor, I wasn't given the opportunity to further my career within the company, they refused to let the employees choose their own union. I highly suggest looking somewhere else for work.
Pros
non
Cons
everything
Not a very supportive work environment
Director of Food Services and Hospitality (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON28 August 2017
Loved the job and the residents but didn't feel supported by upper management. Not much job security. Great vision but don't seem to stand behind their values.
Would not recomend working here.
RPN,PWS, Laundry (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON28 August 2017
I had worked there for many years and the management team were never supportive, in fact they would find fault. The teams they would hire were insubordinate to most of the nurses, there was little team work. You only went anywhere if you were a management favorite. You work very hard for little pay and get no recognition for it.
Pros
It was work.
Cons
Not team players, no management support.
Productive Workplace
Food Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON14 August 2017
A typical day at work would be coming in early to set up your station for the dishes. Get the condiments, glasses of water, juice, wine carts, and coffee ready for dinner. Write down the menu for the evening, and start serving juice and coffee as the residents come to sit down. After dinner, serve dessert, clean tables, take garbage out, wash dishes, and set up the tables for breakfast.

I learned that you have to be a people person, because you're going to be talking to the residents, and getting to know them. You need to be detailed oriented, and able to work in a fast paced environment.

Management, is alright. Sometimes they are able to meet your every need ( time off, extra shifts, etc...) but sometimes they can't for obvious reasons. However, if you work part-time, and just changed your position to casual because you're going to university/college, good luck getting your hours back for holidays and summer. Sometimes you might be able to work on holidays but as for the summer, you won't be getting your hours back. You'll most likely be getting low hours during the summer.

The hardest part of the job is getting everything done on time, but if you're fast and don't cut corners, then you'll be fine.

The most enjoyable part of the job is getting to know the residents. They love to talk to the staff about their life and what they did, and I personally love talking to them. Another enjoyable part of the job is that all the staff is there to help you out when you need help. Everyone is really nice, and loves their job.
Pros
Meet new friends
Cons
Won't receive hours in the summer if you're a college/university student
Changing the way people age
Kinesiologist (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON22 June 2017
Great opportunity to get involved in the organization to implement change in multiple locations to better the lives of the people who live and recieve care from the team members
Pros
Schedule flexibility
Poor Leadership
Dietary Aide (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON1 June 2017
Staff are friendly. Good interaction with residents. Very poor Management. Managers really need to work on "people skills". Can't be friendly to residents then talk down to staff.
Pros
Always available shifts. Decent wages.
Cons
Usually short of supplies due to incompetent ordering.
Amazing please to work
Chef (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON3 May 2017
It's a great place to work, the management team is understanding and amazing. Working with the residents is an incredible treat. I thoroughly enjoy getting to see my residents when I walk in for my shift.
The best workplace I could've asked for
Dietary Aide (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON1 March 2017
I never expected to love a job as much as I love working with Schlegel Villages. The opportunities are fantastic and abundant. Management is incredible. Working with our residents is an enlightening and joyful experience.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Schlegel Villages. Our community is ready to answer.