Schlegel Villages Employee Reviews

Awful.
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON14 January 2019
I was a PSW at The Village and my experience was horrible. Administration was aggressive and unhelpful. I was a night shift PSW and my 'coordinator' would call me at 9am and leave voicemails demanding I call her back that day during business hours despite me having worked the night before so obviously I am sleeping. It was extremely disrespectful and disappointing. Like most LTC homes Schlegal is experiencing a shortage of PSWs. I was regularly working ALONE on a secured Alzheimer's/Dementia neighbourhood which was dangerous for myself and the neighbours. Despite being short they would not call for overtime, they would just have someone float over for 20 minutes to help with doubles during care twice a night and the rest of the time I was completely alone. There were many instances where neighbours could have been seriously injured by falls simply because I could not get to them in time and they were not cognitively able to keep themselves safe. A ratio of 1 PSW to 30+ elderly people with Alzheimers/Dementia is NEVER ok. My neighbours were wonderful and I miss them every day but the burn out, break downs and physical pain from working alone in those conditions is NOT worth the job. Not to mention the pay is low. They will drill into your head that you are "lucky" to work at such a nice place but it just isnt true. Its all an act.
Pros
The neighbours are wonderful and I loved them all
Cons
Everything else
Very negative work environment
Neighborhood Care Partner (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON15 December 2018
In theory this was supposed to be the best place for both residents and employees. However, it's a very negative place for both. I would never put a family member there nor would I ever work for them again. There is zero support from management . In fact management has their favorites. They don't take care of their staff unless you're someone whose willing to be used 16 hours a day 7 days a week and be belittled by staff who act superior. They pay 1 dollar above minimum wage and nights are not at a premium. They have a no lift policy which is not true. The management laughs and says if they don't see it happen then it's ok. Lift a 300 lb. person every day 4 times a day every day and you'll be needing a wheel chair in your 40s. It's not worth your health and not worth the hassle. The residents are amazing with the exception of a few who believe they own you. There is not enough staff to give the care that is required. Residents go without the care they require because of overworked staff who are underpaid and not supported by management. Go somewhere else.
Pros
The residents
Cons
Management, oppressive, and abusive environment.
Best in LTC
Psw (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON10 December 2018
As far as LTC goes, Schlegel is by far the best. Unfortunately they don’t pay their staff enough and getting a day off is like pulling teeth. Big burnout rates and many neighbourhoods don’t feel supported, but compared to where I’ve worked before they are definitely on the right track.
Pros
Residents Recieve great quality of life
Cons
Pay, inability to get days off
It's emotionally demanding with a heavy workload
Rpn (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON27 November 2018
1 RPN and 4 PSW to 32 residents per floor
8hr shifts, consistent shift of either morning, evening or night (unless asked to pick up shifts or do a double)
May get pulled to work on a floor you were not trained on. They just want all positions occupied regardless of how prepared or how the you feel.
Burned out nurses giving away lots of shifts.
Drama and gossip on all levels. PSWs on your floor not getting along. Bullying new employees/agency.
Management shows appreciation but it doesn't always bring up the morale of the person or team. There is lack of respect and empathy and privacy. Ineffective conflict resolution.
Hard to balance work and life when they constantly call on your day off to pick up shifts and guilt trip you.
It is difficult to ask for vacation or days off.
It is hard to call in sick without being judged, nurses should know best if/when they are sick.
Not much job security as they can fire you for whatever reason regardless of having a union.
Job Advancement: specialize (wound nurse, personal expressions, rai/qi etc.) Or work in management
No pay raise after 3 years

BUT when it comes to the resident/patient, the interdisciplinary team works their hardest together to meet their needs and expectations and takes pride in their work. The resident always comes first in a home-like environment set up as a village. This culture is changing the way people think and feel about nursing homes.
Pros
good interdisiplinary team, culture
Cons
Drama, workload vs pay, workplace politics, bullying
Very supportive staff and great atmosphere!
Personal Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON14 November 2018
Residents are content, happy, wish they could have more one on one time which is hard for us to find. Staff has good communication to keep everyone on board with any illnesses, or extra care needed. Great place to work.
Productive with very little to do
Entertainment Assistant (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON4 November 2018
A typical day at work for me at Schlegel Villages is to regularly check the recreational schedules for the residents who lived there and as well, constantly update the calendars each week. What I learned from this job was to be patient. Overall management was very organized, attendance and punctuality was highly regarded as well. One thing I liked about working in Schlegel Villages was how interactive is was; most the time, you are on your feet and you talk to the people around you, it was very engaging. The hardest part of the job was that there were times where it got a little boring since most of the residence were inactive and I consider myself a very enthusiastic individual, so that was one difficulty I had there. The most enjoyable part of the job was learning the trends that the residence used to have back in the day; I was exposed to many songs and movies that were popular during their time and I found that very amusing.
Pros
Work at your own pace
Cons
Very quiet
Windsor
RPN (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON3 November 2018
Worked as a RPN and its horrible the registered staff are worked like slaves, so much work you dont get any breaks. They have PSWs as management and tell you were all equal but they treat the RPNs as the under dogs the pay sucks for all the work expected, they do not help you but say if you have a problem they pair you with someone that is supposed to help you .l never met the person nor did they even try to reach out to me even after i emailed the company after they made me
Fill out a evaluation on how my supposedly care counselor was assisting me....or whatever they call them as i never got help or assistance from anyone. Some Psws are rude and lie on you and management believes them ,so they give you a hard time...l hated the place. Unprofessional as the management walk around bragging how much they partied and how drunk they got with swearing language in front of the neighbors.
Pros
Cons
Extra long hours not paid
Terrible place to work
Psw (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ON1 November 2018
Stay far away from the barrie location. Horrible management who dont care about the staff and the residents. You are always short staffed. The equipment is ancient and the staff do not clean properly. You get worked to the bone and hardly get enough income.
Pros
Nice residents
Cons
Long hrs, sort staffed, terrible management, very old dirty building
fun, upbeat
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON30 October 2018
resident centered care. an absolute fabulous place to work. iv had a lot of fun workimng there i highly recommend them, even though i was just a volunteer
No thanks !
NCP or Cert.PSW (Former Employee) –  Hamilton3 October 2018
Wasn't able to retrieve pay stubs, wasn't shown by staff I shadowed how to use POC. Upper management doesn't seem too concerned for staff issues, will address resident issues regarding staff (that's awesome), but they will stifle on addressing staff issues,. I reported something extremely serious , and I was not called to make an report about it, it was an issue around discriminatory, racist remark by a fellow co-worker more than one time . There wasn't a call back, no follow up . I was disgusted. I was paid a fraction of what other retirement homes make . Retirement does pay much less than LTC. I was not introduced to the union , or who my stewards were, no copy of the collective agreement was given to me .
Profit over people
Pros
Food prices for staff
Cons
Chasing management for answers to questions, not addressing issues within staff team, was not given any information about union, who stewards were, most employers will introduce the union, blatant favoritism from upper management, ñ
Great place to build relationships
Neighborhood Care Partner (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON30 July 2018
Working with elderly changes your life. You see and view things in a different perspective. You become close to those you work with, and build relationships with all of your residents.
Come to work here with a big heart, open it up to those around you. And build your love for others. Kindness, caring, motivated people work here.
super nice staff and amazing residents
Recreation Assistant (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON11 July 2018
I loved getting to volunteer there and talk to residents everyday, met some really awesome people. I always felt super welcome, always had something to do if it was just sitting and talking to some residents or having a coffee with one or running activities for them.
Pros
meet some amazing people
Cons
only volunterring
Good place to work, with quality management.
Staff Nurse (Current Employee) –  Whitby, ON3 July 2018
Each RPN works on unit with 30 patients
Management works with employees and provides appropriate feedback
Colleagues work well together
Work load is high
Pros
Staff work well together
Cons
High Work Load
Team members are very helpful in all aspects
Dietary Aide (Current Employee) –  Windsor, ON27 May 2018
The most enjoyable part of my job is the interaction with the neighbours. Meal service is a limited period of time so I will try to interact with as many as possible and the ones I don't see that day, I will make sure to follow up the next time i have an opportunity.
Pros
job security
Cons
not enough turnover for full time
Rude schedule coordinator
Psw (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON17 May 2018
Staff are friendly. Non supportive home coordinator and very rude scheduler!!! She wants me to work by the available schedule not my availability where in the first place its in the contract that i will only work only on my availability since im casual psw. Its take it or quit... so i quit, dont want to work qith that kind of people.
Pros
New building
Cons
Scheduler's attitude and coordinators.
Terrible place
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON8 May 2018
Definitely the worst place you could possibly work. If you want to be depressed work here. Management is pure evil and only cares about their favourites and boy do they love to fire ppl. Do not work here!
Productive, Fun and Great learning experience
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON6 May 2018
I start 2:00 pm till 9:00pm
I would clean staff washrooms, lounge area, and different offices and classrooms throughout my shift
Everyone is super friendly
Management was exceptional
Very friendly people and great environment
Data Entry (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON24 April 2018
This is a great place to work, fantastic and very friendly staff and residents make your day more enjoyable and fun. Very flexible in working around your schedule outside of work and your home life.
good job
Recreation Aide (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON13 February 2018
It's a good job, and a decent place to work. I found that lately it just has not been the right fit for me. There are a lot of politics in the job that I do not agree with.
Miserable moral working enviroment
Personal support worker (Current Employee) –  Windsor, ON6 February 2018
The management is very poor. They treat staff unfairly and do not work with any personal life situations. in fact they have such a staffing crisis because no one wants to work there, that they deny all full time staff there vacation day's and stat day's... even when months of notice has been given. They work short almost everyday and the pay is very poor compared to other LTC. The union is also for the company and not the worker's. The building its self looks very nice and clean but overall not a healthy place to work unless its your stepping stone.
Pros
It will give you experience
Cons
poor management, poor pay for all positions

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Schlegel Villages. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2