Scarborough Health Network

Scarborough Health Network Employee Reviews

Best place to learn

Because of it's old structure and supporting multicultural community, SHN is a great place to learn. If you enjoy solving challenges, this is the place. Great place to be trained so that you could face any problems in other places you move. Definitely strongly recommend this place to my friends to work!

Pros

Great team, Good boss, Competitive pay

Cons

Old infrastructure

Toxic workplace

Terrible work culture in emerg. Management do very little to improve this. No support for staff in terms of burnout and emotional impacts of the job. Unsafe work in mental health is not dealt with. The only reason I stayed is because I loved some of my coworkers and the pay was good

Pros

Pay

Cons

Unsafe, no support, burnout, toxic culture

Awesome place

It’s a great place to workMulti cultural Peaceful Unionized Respectful It’s a unionized job and co workers are usually respectful of each other

Most people you meet will say they love their jobs but you'll see that they're very MISERABLE.

Management says that they're there to help but cares not one bit of the staff and the fact that they're drowning of high patient load. Medicine units are a mess because most if not all nurses back stab and talk behind each others backs. Senior nurses are evidently too tired and over their jobs and talk badly about everybody. You'd think they're nice to you one day, and report you to management the next. The manager picks favourites and allows certain things slide to nurses that they like and reprimand other nurses for. Management, HR, and union rep clearly are not for the employees' best interest as they often blame staff for being overwhelmed and tired when there's high turnover and staff constantly calling in sick due to high stress of not having enough staff or help on the unit. The manager constantly "schools" new nurses while say nothing to senior nurses that do the same, if not worse, incidents regarding patient care. Management is also very disorganized but tries to make it seem like they know what they're doing by using eloquent language with nothing to show for and subsequently blame staff for not doing something that's supposed to be the manager's job. Overall very toxic with a scoop of egotistic healthcare "professionals". If you're a new nurse looking for experience, apply to NRT positions, that way, you can get your skills and not be tied down to the nursing politics in the units.

Pros

Benefits (insurance)

Cons

Disrespectful managers and staff, Egotistic and fake employees, Unfair/Heavy patient loads to new staff

Community based hospital

Over the years the hospital has expanded three times. With each expansion came more senior management. The management at the front line are generally excellent. Once you get to the director level they lose touch as to what is happening at the patient level. There seems to more confusion and disorganization with each expansion. Bigger is not always better!

Great place to gain experience

I work in Emergency Registration as well as Central Registration at the General Site. The people are great, however, everyone hates training so if you don't pick up on things quickly you kinda S-O-L. Management is a bit disorganized but that is because the hospital is dealing with COVID and a system overhaul switching from MediTech to EPIC. For part time you get about 3 shifts a week, but it is fairly easy to pick up more shifts.

Pros

Good Pay, Good Coworkers

Cons

Disorganized management, cannot work in multiple departments unless you are a unit clerk

Poor management in all levels, no organization

Poor organization and communications in all levels of management AND departments. It takes weeks to hear a reply and sometimes, you won't hear back an answer. No sense of professionalism between departments and no eagerness to learn from mistakes. Payroll doesn't pay on time and will keep delaying corrected pay.

Pros

Culture, practice skills in a high stress environment

Cons

As listed above

great place to volunteer

SHN is a great place to volunteer as a university student. The volunteer coordinator is very useful to help you find the placement within the hospital that is right for you. The management staff is also very supportive and kind.

Pros

on site parking

Cons

repetitive work

Very Toxic and Stressful

Understaffed, mismanaged, emails flying back and forth at all times of the day, very heavy workload, short staffed, toxic work culture do no work in information technology at this company unless you want mental problems, and a heart attack or stroke in your near future it is just not worth it

Pros

Cons

toxic, stressfull, too many problems

Productive and Engaging workplace with great culture

Team members were helpful and collaborative. Engaging workplace with good opportunites to grow in career. Focus on core values and career is good aspect of the organisation.

Jobs at Scarborough Health Network

See more jobs

Used to be an employer of choice (RVHS).

I would rather not provide any further information on this section. Indeed should reconsider this section as a mandatory field, as it this information is not publically posted.

Professional and Friendly Environment!

While volunteering at Lakeridge Health I managed to develop and maintain positive relationships with staff and patients. It was an absolute privilege to be a part of the volunteer team and I highly recommend this to anyone considering.

Great team but not so great management.

Most of the people you work with will probably be the one of the best you will ever work with as the team is supportive and collaborative. Although, during a time of crisis, you would think management would be supportive and would supply critical staff with the necessary PPE but however this is not the case. There are rules that make no sense that have to be adhered to as executive and managerial staff, who have no contact with patients get the best PPE.

Pros

Really good work culture and supportive co-workers along with one of the best pay rates in the GTA.

Cons

Bad management.

Payroll department

The payroll department sucks, I did not not get paid for 5-weeks while working in this hospital, not only me but all of us screeners. We had to wait for few weeks before they pay us the right amount. HR and payroll messess up our pay cheque few times.

Busy community hospital

Scarborough Health Network is a good place to work. The staff are fun and feels like a family. Senior management has changed throughout recent years and dependent on which area you work you may find different experiences. Loss of a good leader before Covid-19 meant my colleagues and I had to step up advocating for ourselves while we were without adequate management. SHN is comparable to most other community hospitals. Good, creative, efficient colleagues along the way has made my experience special.

Pros

Good people to work alongside

Cons

Lack of adequate leadership in stressful times, too much focus on statistics in order for bonuses to be met versus focus on patient care

Good Volunteer

I did my clinical placement here. I was working with the health care team. I learned a lot of skills such as documenting, assessing patients and giving bedside care for the patients.

Medical

Standard hospital environment. Ability to advance with educational courses. Great benefits, pension plan. Many locations make team building difficult.

Productive and Fast Paced

Collaborative work environment Fast Paced Challenging Rewarding Flexible shifts Team work Fair compensation Ability to improve and learn new skills

Placement

Can not speak to much as i was not employed here but I do believe I did have a good experience. At the time of placement the staff were great with our learning and excited to provide opportunities for us.

Part timer has a very small chance to become full time

As a part-timer you do not have the chance to become full time. I have a colleague whose been there for more than 8 years and never get full time. Chances of applying in internal job vacancy for existing part-timer is very low.

Pros

Amazing staff, diverse culture

Cons

Processing of previous experience is not being follow up to new staff

Review

Great place to work. Amazing people. Positive work environment Supportive management Flexible schedule when needed Clean and organized Great pay Ability to learn new things on the job

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Scarborough Health Network. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.8Job security/advancement