Scarborough Health Network
Happiness score is 67 out of 100

Scarborough Health Network: 116 Employee Reviews

Canada116 reviews

patientunitnursestaffsupportivesupportteamcare

Love working in health care.

Love the services industry. Helping and supporting the sick is very fulfilling. My administration skills was upgraded as I received wonderful experiences during my 20 years. I became matured with strong administration skills.

Stressful workplace

- stressful - low support - underpaid- not a lot of vacation time - sponsorships available and paid - room for cross training - compensated for training

Pros

Cross training

Insights into Scarborough Health Network

What people like
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Time and location flexibility

Productive and busy

Good place but not enough pay. The company needs more staff. Scarborough health network is a good place to meet lovely people who share the passion to care for others however they should invest in more care.

Pros

Good people

Cons

Salary

Great place to work!

I really enjoyed working at SHN. I had a real since of belonging. The people I worked with were very team oriented. Management was great and supportive.

Feels like an abusive relationship

You give and give but it’s never good enough. There is no support at all. Management does not care about safety, policies or procedures. In the end, it’s all about the bottom dollar!

Great Place to Work

I enjoyed my time at SHN. Lots of changes in short period of time, it is a fast pace environment - work-life balance was there and the people I worked with were very helpful.

good for co-op students

i was a co-op student and it was okay. couldn't really do much of course because i was only a high school student. nurses are usually nice and you get breaks

Friendly environment

All together a positive experience, starting from the interview to the hiring process and then training.Absolutely enjoy working here.Staff is very friendly and helpful.

Pros

Great staff

Cons

N/a

Fun place to connect and collaborate

Fun place to connect and collaborate very helpful Staff,volunteers and community members. Very innovative symposium, conferences for staff,volunteers and community members.

Best managers

I loved working here I only hope to work there again :) the managers are great, the work is great and the pay is great. They keep a positive and safe environment for everyone.

Overworked and Always Short Staffed

Worked here for 4+ years as a RPN with their nursing resource team. We (the NRT nurses) were constantly put on units that were short staffed and would always get the heavier assignments and this was pre-COVID. Things only got worse as COVID hit and we were always placed with the COVID positive patients. As an RPN at these hospitals you will be doing the same assignments as an RNs on the medical units! It literally has to take you speaking up and complaining to the charge nurse before they think about changing it! On multiple occasions I’ve been given assignments where my patient wasn’t in the best shape at the start of the shift and was either critical or borderline, the nurse giving report in transfer of care would ask if I was an RN and I would reply “no” and they would literally look at me confused and say “this should be a RN Patient”, I would then assess the patient myself and bring this up to the charge nurse, who would then reply “just do what’s within your scope”…………. Seriously… while the RNs on the floor have stable up and about patients ….. ! I’ve even had to have a doctor ask for an RN for one of their patients because things weren’t looking so good. I’ve always been a nurse that loved learning new things and so willing to take on challenging assignments… but when this is the case non stop, shift after shift , it becomes exhausting! Pay doesn’t reflect the work that is actually done by RPNs, the starting isn’t bad… but man do you realize as the years pass that it is completely unfair as your wage increases by cents.

Pros

Union

Cons

Short Staffed, under payed, unfair assignments

Fast-paced environment

I worked as an EPIC Support last year and I have a positive overall experience. At first, it felt like the training is rushed and not sufficient. However, I felt comfortable doing the tasks after my first day at work.

Fast-Paced Work-Place, just long hours

The only downside really was long hours, pay was great, co-workers were friendly and great. If you can get it and get used to the hours, it's amazing.

Worked as an epic support during the implementation of epic from meditech.

Great place to work, training was provided, some opportunities to pick up extra shifts if needed. Only thing that needs improvement would be communication as sometimes changes/questions/comments/concerns on microsoft teams were not answered and addressed in a timely manner.

Nice place to work

Over the years the hospital has expanded three times. With each expansion came more senior management. The management at the front line is generally excellent. Once you get to the director level they lose touch as to what is happening at the patient level. There seems to be more confusion and disorganization with each expansion. Bigger is not always better!

Love working for the vaccine clinics the management is great and encouraging

Good place to work pay is decent. It can be very busy or very slow. But overall a great environment to work in. The site leads are great and encouraging, you usually don’t work at the same location everyday, you get scheduled in all over Scarborough so it’s nice to always have a change of environment, your able to trade shifts when needed

An amazing place to work. I work with a wonderful team.

I've worked at the hospital for 30 years. Working under the SHN has been fantastic. Even now in the pandemic when life has been much harder, and you often feel tired trying to keep people well and stay well yourself the team I work in, the manager and management have been supportive and I couldn't have asked for more.

Nice staff, collaborative working environment. Enjoyed working here and hope to again in the future. Different units function differently. Supportive team on all

Too heavy

Ok company - lots of politics and siloed , but close knit companyI think management needs to put more emphasis on employee growth. There is absolutely zero focus on that here and it’s frustrating

I love shn

In my entire career as an office admin, I have never felt more proud and fulfilled until I got hired here. The salary is amazing and thepeople treats you way way better than working outside the hospital. Once you are in, it feels like the career growth is infinite :) I love SHN :)

Pros

Salary

Cons

No bonus

Busy, heavy workload

It’s a decent place to work, staff can be friendly. The workloads can get heavy as many units are short staffed. There is a high staff turnover rate.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Scarborough Health Network. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.7 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement