Scarborough Health Network

Scarborough Health Network Employee Reviews

Canada80 reviews
Great team but not so great management.
Most of the people you work with will probably be the one of the best you will ever work with as the team is supportive and collaborative. Although, during a time of crisis, you would think management would be supportive and would supply critical staff with the necessary PPE but however this is not the case. There are rules that make no sense that have to be adhered to as executive and managerial staff, who have no contact with patients get the best PPE.
Pros
Really good work culture and supportive co-workers along with one of the best pay rates in the GTA.
Cons
Bad management.
Payroll department
The payroll department sucks, I did not not get paid for 5-weeks while working in this hospital, not only me but all of us screeners. We had to wait for few weeks before they pay us the right amount. HR and payroll messess up our pay cheque few times.
Busy community hospital
Scarborough Health Network is a good place to work. The staff are fun and feels like a family. Senior management has changed throughout recent years and dependent on which area you work you may find different experiences. Loss of a good leader before Covid-19 meant my colleagues and I had to step up advocating for ourselves while we were without adequate management. SHN is comparable to most other community hospitals. Good, creative, efficient colleagues along the way has made my experience special.
Pros
Good people to work alongside
Cons
Lack of adequate leadership in stressful times, too much focus on statistics in order for bonuses to be met versus focus on patient care
Good Volunteer
I did my clinical placement here. I was working with the health care team. I learned a lot of skills such as documenting, assessing patients and giving bedside care for the patients.
Medical
Standard hospital environment. Ability to advance with educational courses. Great benefits, pension plan. Many locations make team building difficult.
Productive and Fast Paced
Collaborative work environment
Fast Paced

Challenging

Rewarding

Flexible shifts

Team work

Fair compensation

Ability to improve and learn new skills
Placement
Can not speak to much as i was not employed here but I do believe I did have a good experience. At the time of placement the staff were great with our learning and excited to provide opportunities for us.
Part timer has a very small chance to become full time
As a part-timer you do not have the chance to become full time. I have a colleague whose been there for more than 8 years and never get full time. Chances of applying in internal job vacancy for existing part-timer is very low.
Pros
Amazing staff, diverse culture
Cons
Processing of previous experience is not being follow up to new staff
Review
Great place to work.
Amazing people.

Positive work environment

Supportive management

Flexible schedule when needed

Clean and organized

Great pay

Ability to learn new things on the job
SHN Awesome!
Had a wonderful consolidation placement in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit. I learn so much and the staff treated me like family. Great team of nurses working together
Good Job
A good place to work and the compensation is better than other hospitals. Good atmosphere overall, and if you are willing to work you will be able to find opportunities for growth.
Friendly environment, people are very helpful. Everyone gets along and talking to management isn't too much of a hassle. Really loved working there amazing place
Productive but awful workplace culture
The workplace is toxic. Patients are not receiving enough care in terms of their personal well being. Moreover, coworkers often talk about each other in a negative, sometimes rude way. The hardest part of the job is watching patients pass away while the most enjoyable part of the job is watching the patients get rehabilitated while inside the facility.
Pros
Company vacations
Cons
Wide variety of learning oppertunity
Busy lab with modest analyzer and computer system.
Best vision and leadership that motivates staff and volunteers to do excellent patient care. Equal opportunity.
Pros
Excellent lab equipment, fair break time, excellent pay and benefits
Cons
Busy
A workplace that upholds harmony in a diversified culture and a place to grow.
The workplace culture of SHN builds trust amongst colleagues as we learn to depend on one another as we now manage three sites and make a name of our own. These are exciting times for everyone working here as we work as a team to put SHN on the map as a leading healthcare facility in Canada, or better yet, worldwide. Everyone's inputs are valuable, listened to, and there is great care and consideration for staff and patient workplace environment and setting.
Pros
Get to work across all 3 sites; great benefits
Best possible Co-op placement for anyone in healthcare!
My experience at the Birchmount Site was fantastic. they receive a bad reputation for the long wait times but, I can assure you that everyone is working as hard as possible to make sure everyone receives excellent care. The staff is very friendly and diverse. In a fast-paced environment, communication is key and they do very well with that. This was a learning experience for me so most of my time was spent shadowing but, it's definitely a great place to work!
Productive place
I had this internship for my co-op in highschool and I only had to observe and file some documents. Nurses and other employees were friendly to work with.
great workplace
Really enjoyed working here Great work life balance. The manager of occupational health was a great manager. He was very positive and supportive I enjoyed the hospital work environment Colleagues were happy and positive Working with lots of nurses and staff who were fairly happy with their workplace
Fun workplace, some political negatives
Great place to work because of the people I worked with mostly. It was a small group of nurses and everyone supported each other and worked as a team. Unfortunately sometimes we felt as though management did not support us or provide us with the training necessary to excel. Sometimes this could have to do with the lack of budget though since it was not a high funded hospital. Loved it overall.
Great Employer
Great place to be employed. Staff is very friendly, and management is very understanding. Management was able to work around my school schedule. Staff is never left out during holiday seasons
great place to work
I have learned a great deal of skills working in the department. Its fast paced and busy 24/7. Good team work and atmosphere. Everyday is different.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Scarborough Health Network. Our community is ready to answer.
Scarborough Health Network Reviews by Location