Scarborough Health Network Employee Reviews

Best possible Co-op placement for anyone in healthcare!
Co-op Student (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON12 March 2019
My experience at the Birchmount Site was fantastic. they receive a bad reputation for the long wait times but, I can assure you that everyone is working as hard as possible to make sure everyone receives excellent care. The staff is very friendly and diverse. In a fast-paced environment, communication is key and they do very well with that. This was a learning experience for me so most of my time was spent shadowing but, it's definitely a great place to work!
Productive place
Intern (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 February 2019
I had this internship for my co-op in highschool and I only had to observe and file some documents. Nurses and other employees were friendly to work with.
great workplace
Abilities case manager (Former Employee) –  Rouge, ON13 February 2019
Really enjoyed working here Great work life balance. The manager of occupational health was a great manager. He was very positive and supportive I enjoyed the hospital work environment Colleagues were happy and positive Working with lots of nurses and staff who were fairly happy with their workplace
Fun workplace, some political negatives
Registered Practical Nurse, Family Birthing Place (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON6 February 2019
Great place to work because of the people I worked with mostly. It was a small group of nurses and everyone supported each other and worked as a team. Unfortunately sometimes we felt as though management did not support us or provide us with the training necessary to excel. Sometimes this could have to do with the lack of budget though since it was not a high funded hospital. Loved it overall.
Great Employer
Unit Clerk 5-Intensive Care Unit (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 February 2019
Great place to be employed. Staff is very friendly, and management is very understanding. Management was able to work around my school schedule. Staff is never left out during holiday seasons
great place to work
Registered Practical Nurse (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ON15 January 2019
I have learned a great deal of skills working in the department. Its fast paced and busy 24/7. Good team work and atmosphere. Everyday is different.
They will contact you the next day...
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ON30 November 2018
You will rarely get any days you request off and if you find another nurse who can work your shift it will get rejected for many reasons. One of the lowest paid RN positions in GTA for an Emergency Unit. Job Security is definitely there as everyone else on the unit wants to leave as soon as they start so you can snag a permanent position at any time. Management is the reason why every amazing nurse leaves the job. Also you will encounter what real "violence" against nurses feels like as the organization/management does not intervene for the protection of the nurses and security do not know how to handle angry patients/protect the staff.
Pros
Permanent positions readily available
Cons
Violence against nurses
High Demand in Health Sector
Librarian (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, Ontario, Canada28 November 2018
A very high demand hospital environment with research and patient care facilities for diversified population in Ontario. Employees are very professional. Management people are focus oriented and strategically driven.
Supportive Leaders and Great People to Work With
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 November 2018
Very fast-paced, high energy work-place. I learned a lot from the management teams I supported while there and was given great opportunities for self-advancement. Compensation was competitive. At the time the culture was a bit negative and disjointed since there had been a merger and there was plan for separating again but I had a great work experience there overall.
RPN staff
Registered Practical Nurse (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ON11 October 2018
Great place to work, management staff are kind and caring, easy to approach. As many hours of work that you heart would desire are available. Huge scope of practice.
I loved it
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON2 October 2018
I was an student/ office assistant in the Occupational Health and Wellness and Human Resources departments at Centenary and Ajax Pickering Hospitals. I loved my co-workers! They were all very kind and willing to help if I needed clarification or assistance.

On my first day I was told :There is no such thing as a stupid question

This boosted my confidence 100%

Were my position not temporary/contract I would still be working there today.

If the opportunity arises I would love to work at the hospital again
Pros
great environment and coworkers
Cons
temporary position
workplace culture
Unit Clerk (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 October 2018
There is a lot of competition within colleagues. As well as most of the job is dictated by seniority. The only way to move up is by applying for new positions when you have worked for a long period of time at the hospital
great place to work
Personal Support Worker (PSW) (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ON14 September 2018
great place to work. able to gain experince and skills. Supportive and team enviorment. Lost of opportunities and able to meet different people. feeling like we made a diiference.
Pros
hours
Excellent place to work
Project Analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 September 2018
Passionate team and highly enthusiastic group working together to make the organization a role model. I will recommend to those who have compassion...
My best years at work so far
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ON2 September 2018
A great place to work where I could explore my potential and I was fortunate to have a great Director who was a born leader and a great mentor and above all a great human being and he who could take the best out of me.

In my 13 years of work experience so far across different companies, this is one that I look forward to go to work at every morning.
Great Place
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 August 2018
Promotional environment. Caring and supportive. Offer opportunity for learning and growth. Flexible environment. Staff very friendly and work together.
Used to be good place to work
Intermediate Technical Support (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ON29 July 2018
Used to be good place to work, have had 2 merges with 2 hospitals, each merge has resulted in degradation of hospital management. Given the choice I would not work there any more. Have applications out to other places now and hope to finish at the hospital shortly.
Pros
Can think of any
Cons
Too many systems to look after, short staffed, most staff is new now and has no idea how to properly support end users, lack of dedication by some IT staff.
A Progressive Organization
Registered Nurse (RN) (Current Employee) –  3030 Lawrence Avenue, Scarborough ON20 July 2018
This organization thrives to provide patient-centred care to all patients and family members. It also promotes self and competent care by encouraging team leaders from different standpoint and various background to support the staff and each other.
Pros
Close to home
enjoyed my job
Student Medical Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON22 June 2018
During my internship at the Scarborough and Rough hospital has provided me with relevant experience that has further developed my skill set . As an intern i performed over 400 venipuncture's on patients for medical testing and ECG's.
Pros
free launch for four times, and a special one, after the accreditation, performed in laboratory and which was succecessful
Cons
At time we experienced busy days
Poor communication from organization
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ON11 June 2018
Great group of nursing staff. However, severely lacks communication skills from the organizational side leaving new staff ill-informed and misguided as to the next steps in the hiring process.