Scandinavian Building Services

Scandinavian Building Services Employee Reviews

Canada30 reviews
Good company to work for
Fast paced and support from Direct Manager, very stressful and demanding and deadlines are always in demand the company is well run from the top, but falls a part as responsibility filters down
Pros
Company car
Cons
Over zelles admin
Lacks morals and ethics
This company lacks morals and ethics. The often do not do what they preach. They are run out of Alberta so all other provinces are not treated any where near fair.
great opportunities to advance
great working environment, and even though hard work is required of every AM, the senior management team is very responsive and helpful to ensure the accounts are properly taken care of.
The company gives you all the tools to make right your job, this is very important for this position, excellent process training, they have very good standards.
Reputable company
Fun place and good working environment, management are very supportive. Compensation is average. Training and safety procedures are given much importance.
Great to start a cleaning job.
Scandinavian is a great place to start if you are starting a cleaning career to build up experience. In long term goals of higher pay or positions though it is not the best.
Cons
No pay raise, vacation paid with regular pay instead of put aside.
Self-serving family-owned company
This is a family-owned self-serving company. Zero integrity, zero management skills, completely self-serving. If it doesn't go their way you're fired or walked off the job. 0 company culture it's all about the family not about the employee
Pros
Cons
Very high turnover zero education level
Cleaning
Cleaning is fun in there .
I had learned cleaning tidy .

Washrooms and vacuum cleaning , I was responsible for that.

Relaxing place to work.

washrooms cleaning .

seeing the place tidy , after i have cleaned.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Scandinavian Building Services?
Working for scandi
I really enjoyed the atmosphere and the team I worked with. Hardest part is always the winter months. Wake up and grab breakfast and coffee then of to each job. Enjoyable meeting new people
Didn’t think companies like this existed
The pros they have decent health benefits

It’s difficult deciding where to even start with the cons

Starting from the time I received a verbal offer to a written offer, they reduced the salary amount by 10%. This should have been a sign that this Isn’t the best career move.

First week I didn’t even hear from my direct supervisor. The other account manager in the office was able to somewhat train me. We worked 13 hours daily starting from 6AM.

Following up on the long hours HR refuses to provide set hours BE WARNED. You’re expected to be available at all times so you could work 60 hours a week all in the middle of the night if it’s required. If you do not answer an account even at 3AM , head office will lecture you the following morning. My phone would not stopping buzzing in the middle of the night.

None of the accounts are happy with Scandinavian so it’s more being yelled at daily by managers rather than building relationships. Unfortunately Scandi does not budget enough for owner operators so you’ll see a lot of turnover with them on top of the issues with managers.

You’re expected to drive to all locations and you’re given a fuel allowance that won’t cover all your travel. This travel also includes out of the city up to 4 hours away (sometimes daily).

There is limited support from head office, most of the time when emailing the office you get a response saying they don’t handle such concern and keep getting sent on a wild goose chase.

I’m aware this all sounds almost unreal but rest assured it is. Stay away from this role, there are a lot
 - more...
The owners and the high position people are considerate
This is high racially biasd work place, group of people controling the B.C. brunch and pushing other people to quit or fired, these people has no mercy for the company assets or growth.
Teamwork with committed people
In this company I had some opportunities to work in some business rooms, meet people and learn from them.

In the company many job offers were night and diversified hours. As I have 3 young children, so the times were not adequate.
Horrible
Without a question one of the worst companies to work for.
Horrible management at all levels. Low pay with 24/7 expectations. Poor upper management including hr.

Poor compensation

Typical day would be driving around to various sites to follow up with store management to ensure cleaning was up to the right standards. Unfortunately budgets made by upper management were unattainable and most new subcontractors start cutting corners and hiring illegal workers because legally they are not able to clean for below minimum wage. This is known by upper management but brushed under the rug. Management is not interested in knowing how to improve culture and employee business but instead throw unattainable deadlines with again low compensation.

Culture is good for a certain time period but eventually this leaves.

Hardest part of the job was staying motivated and to see people cleaning with very low pay and dealing with the daily complaints from cleaners or store managers.
Not a particularly a great ethical company to work for.
Self serving corporate environment with senior manage steeped in old school style management structure.
While it is family owned and operated company not particularly open to innovative methods of the new century.

Middle management are supposed to shoulder the bulk of customers requests at the shortest notice.

New ideas of janitorial operations are hardly welcome unless one is ready to sacrifice his or her personal integrity.
Pros
End of year customers appreciation get toegether with all customers.
Cons
Yes of course long hours. Few benefits for management cadre.
Overall it is good
The cleaning job is challenging, you have to respond to customers complaints. Scandi is relatively okay if you are a worker is smart. Sometimes there is pressure from management if there any problem, although you are not responsible for the problem.
Pros
flexibility of work time
Bad Management, Bad Culture
Working at Scandinavian Building Services was certainly an experience. The management was difficult, picky to the extreme, unavailable most of the time, and liked to micromanage. I wasn't able to do hardly anything with my position because I had to wait and wait and wait for approvals I never received. They also like to tell you their employees are family, but that's a bunch of bull. In my short time there, employees either quit or were fired almost every week. My replacement didn't even last three months. I do not recommend working for this company.
Pros
Cons
Bad management
The overall experience of working with this company was enjoyable
Working for this company had taught me a lot about customer service and working to others expectations not just mine. The crew I worked with was amazing and we grew a lot over the time we were complete strangers then we grew into a family. The only thing I was not satisfied about was the hours. I would be lucky to get even one shift in a week. Besides that it was a great job.
Pros
Pick up and drop off at home
Cons
Rarely any hours and hours were unexpected
Bonne equipe de travail
L ambiance de travail et bonne 2 pause de 15min et 1 heure de lunch
Always busy
You need sanitation skills and detailing skills for this type of job. Very easy when you know what to do and what to look for while management also helps out when needed.
working as a clleaner
typical day you get there at 5 am clean washrooms and all the store floors and dust and vaccum i learn how to keep everything cleans from using a floor machince to vaccuming and washing down walls and changerooms to help people that come into store hards part of job was learning to wax the floors most enjoyable part of job it getting the job done right and meeting new people and helping them out
Beaucoup de formation