Scaddabush Italian Kitchen & Bar

Scaddabush Italian Kitchen & Bar Management reviews

Canada81 reviews
Featured review
Scaddabush Italian Kitchen & Bar selected this as a representative review
Many of the managerial staff were patient and helpful while training me, teaching me basic and advanced skills to help forward my productivity and efficiency. A typical day at work, depending on when your shift begins, can either be; set up your personal station, expected to be done on time and independently in order to tackle the day properly, waiting for guests to order and accommodate them as much as possible. Prepping ingredients and garnishes for dishes, clean your station as you go, stock up on plates, cutlery, take-out containers. If you started in the middle of the day, i.e 4:00 pm, all you do is switch with the person or assist them. The most enjoyable part of the job is when you complete a rush order or a party table with over 20 items on the cheque. The hardest part of the job is the extensive physical drain, being on your feet constantly in uncomfortable footwear can be exhausting, especially in a zesty kitchen.
Pros
Discounted meals
Cons
I work here, the management is really good. It's fun to be around and learn new things
Food has been my passion and working for such a nice restaurant just adds more to it.
Overall the intentions and productivity of the team was excellent. The pressure put on the management from head office was evident as it sometimes reflected in the lack of positivity within the workplace. It seemed they were not receiving enough positive reinforcement, which hindered them from keeping the positive mindset for the workers on the floor.

They did their best though, but often focused on the negative, rather than rewarding or recognizing the accomplishments due to the pressure that was put on them from above.

Overall, a strong team with good intentions, that made every day still worth while in being part of.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Lack of positive reinforcement.
I felt like I was being bullied by management while I was an employee at Scaddabush. When they finally broke me down and made me cry and I disclosed to them how I’m feeling ostracized I was then terminated. There was no substantial motive for my termination, things like “the glide path” and other mediocre excuses were used. Not only did they attempt to insult my intelligence, but I consistently had to walk on egg shells every shift. I was legitimately targeted and my anxiety was a joke to them. Despite being a great worker, with the customer reviews and squad reviews, they terminated me. The termination comes after I was assured I was a great server the weekend prior- when they made me cry and have an anxiety attack. This is a demoralizing and I humane place to work- unless you are a favourite of there’s (cultural discimination does exist within that work place) than consider yourself fired.
I am an experienced line cook yet I was truly unprepared and appalled by the work environment at this restaurant. You are expected to finish your tasks several hours early so the managers can send you home and avoid paying you for the full hours. It does not comply with many Ontario labour laws. No breaks. Incredibly high turnover. Very little concern with food quality and presentation. The kitchen is not accessible to all workers. Mozzarella is melted and formed into balls in-house - not made from scratch as advertised.
Got injured. Manager thinks it was fake. Ask for a transfer to another location, denied it and told me that he will never refer me to anyone. I felt harassed and violated by my ex manager.
Its a great to work in scaddabush restaurant, all the staff members are very professional and helping. The sous chef helps making food during busy kitchen. The executive chef have very pleasant nature and great knowledge of the kitchen . Overall i enjoy working in the organization.
The restaurant always had a positive vibe and everyone was pretty happy to be there. Management was a little intimidating at first but once you got to know everyone it was a great time.
being Pakistani and Trinidadian, having Italy colors bleed with the sides of my two flags i just had to get Italian with it. i went through some of the easiest work interviews processes ever because of this.
Management sucks at any and all locations. Side duties are a bizarre amount of work compared to other restaurants, yet you are expected to complete an hour+ worth of work in 20 minutes. Management is not good at all - worst experience I have had working at any restaurant (and company). Catty and rude waitresses. Make it very clear who they favour and pick on people. Rumours are spread. Overall too dramatic for a job like serving. They purposefully make sure you aren't scheduled 28+ hours as a server so you don't qualify for benefits.
The job was cool in the beginning. I learned a lot of stuff that I didn't know that is positive but too much favoritism and unnecessary yelling. You make a mistake and they are their to cut your throat.
You work insane hours. And sometimes you close three different positions like dish.
The work environment is horrible. The managers lies to you about moving up and one slip up like forgetting once to clean the debris under the table is enough for them to write you up and prevent you from moving up. They won't move someone up if they excel at their position and has worked longer but will move a recent hire (3 months) in the same position.

The managers are very unprofessional, no job should ever show favoritism but the managers make it clear whenever there is a dispute especially when the "favorite employee" insults/yell at another employee.

Lastly, The managers will never acknowledge any work that you do unless it's the 100th personal favor and even then you have to threaten to quit if you can't move up but it's a risk that most employee won't do because the manager will easily replace you as they are constantly hiring host/food runners/busser.
not worth it, management would constantly change. it was impossible to build a good manage restaurant, people would always get hired and would quit the next day and this was due to the TERRIBLLEEE system they have. their whole entire emo is, "we care about our guests and employees". THEY don't care about the employes, they will fire you if they have to in order to save money
The TM's (team members) for the most part are great. They respect the chefs and put forth a lot of hard work. Upper management as far as BOH goes, is a joke. They are nowhere to be found with their cell phones off during emergencies. The Executive Chef and other management (along with a third party recruiter) will insist that there is a plan for you and that there is an abundance of advancement heading your way...or that they are on schedule to open 4-6 new locations over the year. In reality 1 new location opened and they are not executing well due to rushed tactics to get the doors open asap. Lastly the advancement promises are empty and will never come. You will find yourself being shipped from location to location, working 14-16 hour days with no growth and no support
Pros
Good culture in a few of the locations
Cons
Pretty much all aspects of managing in this restaurant
Great place to work! Management is very supportive and ensures individual needs are met of all employees. Flexibility of schedule lacks and is very strict.
Shifts are short and not worth it. Management picks favourites and act unprofessional 90 percent of the time and the absolute worst part of the job. Benefits were decent though.
It was my first job, staff was nice and management was quite reasonable and flexible with my schedule. Like any restaurant, there were stressful days but it was never bad and I liked my job.
Quality was the number one priority, quality of food, drinks, service. Scaddabush also had quality in management, friendships, environment, which had made it so much harder to leave.
Pros
Team work with table clean ups, optimal training, great hours, food rewards every night for good service.
Cons
Over scheduling.
Have been working as a host here for 9 months. Management is a revolving door and is constantly changing. Favouritism is definitely more important than who is actually good at their job. Bartenders treat the host team like trash and management does nothing about it. Hosts do half the work ( cleaning servers tables, running food, refilling drinks) and receive none of the money. PAY IS TERRIBLE! On top of that management constantly promises to move you up to a serving position while simultaneously hiring people from outside the company. Long story short: Do not bother starting here as a host or busser if you plan on serving or bar tending! NO ROOM FOR GROWTH
Pros
Good food
Cons
Terrible pay, No room for growth
I worked as a hostess for 2 months. The servers are incredibly rude, maybe one or two nice ones. Lacked basic manners and respect for the hosts/hostesses unless you kissed up to them or unless you purposely seated customers in their assigned area.

Managers are absolutely useless, spent most of the time sitting in the back and eating, or criticizing things that were perfectly fine to begin with.

Shifts were absolutely terrible, often never got any shifts, completely ignored my preferred schedule, made me work very late up until 2am.

On multiple occasions asked me to do tasks that I was never trained to do, then embarrassed me in front of other staff when I failed at the task. Oh and they also gave me one or two (4 hour) shifts if I was lucky.

Definitely not a decent job for students who want to work full time, too stressful, and very exhausting.

Do not recommend.
Pros
Location is aesthetically pleasing
Cons
No shifts, workplace stress, terrible management
I loved every moment there, staff and management were amazing. I only left because I had to go back to school but even then, management tried everything to be accommodating to help me stay.
Pros
Staff Team
Cons
Busy Restaurant
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Scaddabush Italian Kitchen & Bar. Our community is ready to answer.
2.7