Scaddabush Italian Kitchen & Bar

Scaddabush Italian Kitchen & Bar Employee Reviews

Canada79 reviews
Featured review
Scaddabush Italian Kitchen & Bar selected this as a representative review
Productive and fun workplace with delicious food
Many of the managerial staff were patient and helpful while training me, teaching me basic and advanced skills to help forward my productivity and efficiency. A typical day at work, depending on when your shift begins, can either be; set up your personal station, expected to be done on time and independently in order to tackle the day properly, waiting for guests to order and accommodate them as much as possible. Prepping ingredients and garnishes for dishes, clean your station as you go, stock up on plates, cutlery, take-out containers. If you started in the middle of the day, i.e 4:00 pm, all you do is switch with the person or assist them. The most enjoyable part of the job is when you complete a rush order or a party table with over 20 items on the cheque. The hardest part of the job is the extensive physical drain, being on your feet constantly in uncomfortable footwear can be exhausting, especially in a zesty kitchen.
Pros
Discounted meals
Awesome
I work here, the management is really good. It's fun to be around and learn new things
Food has been my passion and working for such a nice restaurant just adds more to it.
Fun and relaxed workplace
A typical day at work really depends on how busy the restaurant is. Usually it's only busy from 12-2 in the afternoon then it dies down after that. Managers are really nice and understanding and flexible with the schedule as long as you give sufficient reasoning/time
Fast paced, with hard working team members.
Overall the intentions and productivity of the team was excellent. The pressure put on the management from head office was evident as it sometimes reflected in the lack of positivity within the workplace. It seemed they were not receiving enough positive reinforcement, which hindered them from keeping the positive mindset for the workers on the floor.

They did their best though, but often focused on the negative, rather than rewarding or recognizing the accomplishments due to the pressure that was put on them from above.

Overall, a strong team with good intentions, that made every day still worth while in being part of.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Lack of positive reinforcement.
Management are bullies- Demoralizing work environment
I felt like I was being bullied by management while I was an employee at Scaddabush. When they finally broke me down and made me cry and I disclosed to them how I’m feeling ostracized I was then terminated. There was no substantial motive for my termination, things like “the glide path” and other mediocre excuses were used. Not only did they attempt to insult my intelligence, but I consistently had to walk on egg shells every shift. I was legitimately targeted and my anxiety was a joke to them. Despite being a great worker, with the customer reviews and squad reviews, they terminated me. The termination comes after I was assured I was a great server the weekend prior- when they made me cry and have an anxiety attack. This is a demoralizing and I humane place to work- unless you are a favourite of there’s (cultural discimination does exist within that work place) than consider yourself fired.
Really Bad - Would Not Recomend
I am an experienced line cook yet I was truly unprepared and appalled by the work environment at this restaurant. You are expected to finish your tasks several hours early so the managers can send you home and avoid paying you for the full hours. It does not comply with many Ontario labour laws. No breaks. Incredibly high turnover. Very little concern with food quality and presentation. The kitchen is not accessible to all workers. Mozzarella is melted and formed into balls in-house - not made from scratch as advertised.
Treat Employees Bad
Got injured. Manager thinks it was fake. Ask for a transfer to another location, denied it and told me that he will never refer me to anyone. I felt harassed and violated by my ex manager.
Fun workplace and very friendly staff
I learned a lot by working there, st my coworkers and managers, they were always supportive and looked out for each other. The workplace culture was awesome and they always made me feel good when I went to work.
Good casual work place. Good place to start off getting into the hospitality industry
It's a good casual work environment. If you're new to the food & beverage / hospitality industry I feel it's a great place to start. The training is great, they break it down to every position so you get a better overview of how it works.
Experience as a part timer
Its a great to work in scaddabush restaurant, all the staff members are very professional and helping. The sous chef helps making food during busy kitchen. The executive chef have very pleasant nature and great knowledge of the kitchen . Overall i enjoy working in the organization.
productive and fun place to work
Physically fit, able to stand of long periods of time and able to complete work tasks
With much to offer and a upbeat positive attitude, I feel that I can benefit a company where I hold a

position and make a significant work ethic contribution to profits as a resourceful and results-driven

individual.
Great atmosphere and work experience
The restaurant always had a positive vibe and everyone was pretty happy to be there. Management was a little intimidating at first but once you got to know everyone it was a great time.
Passionate kitchen staff with great personality's
being Pakistani and Trinidadian, having Italy colors bleed with the sides of my two flags i just had to get Italian with it. i went through some of the easiest work interviews processes ever because of this.
My life as a dishwasher
Came to work half an hour early to set up dishwasher, take in garbage container, and clean station. Spent 1 hour forming and marinating meatballs, then washed kitchen utensils. Made sure station was clean and ready for lunch rush. Had small lunch break for 5 minutes. From lunch to 1 pm, went to collect dirty saute pans every 15 minutes and wash them, while also washing all the other dishes. Every 2 hours I replaced water from dishwashing machine. From lunch to end of shift, rushed to make sure all dishes were washed. Near end of shift, around 4pm, cleaned up station and took out garbage.

All this time I thought I could work my way up to become a prep cook, but the manager said I would remain a dishwasher. So I quit because it was a dead end job. I became neurotic and stressed due to the fast build up of dishes. Also I had to wash all the dishes by myself!
treat everyone as family
Scaddabush is the first job I have in Canada, I also did my internship there and the Managers are very patient and Helpful on my learning.They teach me all I need to learn and are very supportive. The people I work with are very nice and considerate. they are all my friends and they treat everyone as a family.
Don't bother
Management sucks at any and all locations. Side duties are a bizarre amount of work compared to other restaurants, yet you are expected to complete an hour+ worth of work in 20 minutes. Management is not good at all - worst experience I have had working at any restaurant (and company). Catty and rude waitresses. Make it very clear who they favour and pick on people. Rumours are spread. Overall too dramatic for a job like serving. They purposefully make sure you aren't scheduled 28+ hours as a server so you don't qualify for benefits.
Go there with an open mind
The job was cool in the beginning. I learned a lot of stuff that I didn't know that is positive but too much favoritism and unnecessary yelling. You make a mistake and they are their to cut your throat.
You work insane hours. And sometimes you close three different positions like dish.
Fast-paced kitchen
I learned to open and close multiple different stations. How to stock up and prep multiple stations. I learned how to manage my time and also prep while doing line work
A horrible experience
The work environment is horrible. The managers lies to you about moving up and one slip up like forgetting once to clean the debris under the table is enough for them to write you up and prevent you from moving up. They won't move someone up if they excel at their position and has worked longer but will move a recent hire (3 months) in the same position.

The managers are very unprofessional, no job should ever show favoritism but the managers make it clear whenever there is a dispute especially when the "favorite employee" insults/yell at another employee.

Lastly, The managers will never acknowledge any work that you do unless it's the 100th personal favor and even then you have to threaten to quit if you can't move up but it's a risk that most employee won't do because the manager will easily replace you as they are constantly hiring host/food runners/busser.
fun co-workers, terruble work system
not worth it, management would constantly change. it was impossible to build a good manage restaurant, people would always get hired and would quit the next day and this was due to the TERRIBLLEEE system they have. their whole entire emo is, "we care about our guests and employees". THEY don't care about the employes, they will fire you if they have to in order to save money
mangement is unoragized but team member are fun to work with.
New kitchen manager is unorganized with scheduling which no one is happy with. Overall team members are nice and fun to work with and get a lot og hours working.
Pros
team menber, tip outs
Cons
managment
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Scaddabush Italian Kitchen & Bar. Our community is ready to answer.
2.9