Value Village
Savers/Value Village
Happiness score is 51 out of 100

Value Village Work-life balance reviews

Even though the coworkers were amazing, about 3 of the 5 supervisors you will encounter weren't the best. One seemed like they were in a bad mood all the time and judgemental, another not showing much excitement, and another looking energetically-drained all the time. These three definitely hindered my experience, especially the first one I mentioned. The other 2 supervisors were great! Lively, cheerful, understanding, and a pleasure to work with. The job is easy to learn. I learnt how to operate the cash register in just 2 hours and knew everything I needed. Understanding the organizing system with the clothes was also easy. And new Covid-19 front-door-greeter protocols are very basic. If there were a few tips I could give, these would be it:- Be wary of some customers. Maple Ridge is not the best in terms of the homelessness situation and Value Village attracts these people and they can be difficult sometimes. - Don't let the supervisors or especially customers make you feel down. In the end, it's a thrift store. You are doing your best and the team does appreciate your work and effort. - Make friends with some of the customers. It was a bitter-sweet moment with some of the regulars when I left- Call out mistakes by supervisors. They will sometimes forget your Lunch or Coffee breaks or forget you are working in another department. Make sure to let them know!All in all, this was a great place to get my first job experience. Most of the coworkers are great people to be with. Definitely made the day better. The supervisors can be difficult sometimes, but genuinely - more...
Pros
Easy to learn, fun coworkers, fast days due to busyness
Cons
Stressful management, difficult customers sometimes, sense of self-ownership
Everyone was so friendly and we all looked out for each other. The manager was easy to work for also. Also there is lots of room for advancement within the company
I started working here since 2017, I have no problem to my co-workers and supervisor, they’re sooooo nice and helpful. But the store manager is really strict when it comes to work well i understand him but the thing is he make his own rules in the store that’s why it’s more confusing. He always check camera’s in the office so he can see a lot of team member who’s truly responsible. The only thing I don’t want with him is the way he talked behind’s back, he doesn’t direct you the problem. Been working here almost 3 years but I haven’t receive salary up ... I mean it’s only increasing cents .. also if you don’t have patient to other this is not for youu..
Pros
Long hours, fun workplace
Cons
No salary increase, rude customers, too many rules for employees
I was here for a few years. Lots and lots of favoritism throughout the entire store. If you work hard you get dumped on. I was spoken to unprofessionally by managers many times throughout my job at Value Village. Including when I quit. In fact I was laughed at. There are no boundaries. I do not recommend working here.
Pros
coworkers are lovely, employee discount
Cons
treated unfairly, behind-back talking, short hours
The coworkers and sometimes customers made this job really awesome. The workers feel like one big (dysfunctional) family and you’re all in the same predicament of not getting enough hours, pay or being treated like machines and not humans. So it’s a lot of slaving away for little money but you get to do it with some seriously amazing people. It can be really fun and the customers come from all walks of life and are interesting to interact with! The older people in the company are most respected and typically are allowed to work at a slower pace but the young ones gotta do some back breaking work. The pay is really sad for the amount of work you do. Clean up at the end of the shift can be gruelling! The dress code allows for personal expression, and sometimes there’s cake for birthdays. Work life balance is there, but it also means you’re making 600$ a month...
Pros
Coworkers, Halloween
Cons
Stressful, difficult customers, small shifts at low pay
I liked working there but I definitely don’t think workers are getting paid nearly enough for the amount of time and energy we put into work. Hard job
Pros
Schedule flexibility
Cons
in the begining was a great place to work for. very quickly you become just another employee like just a number and managemeng begins to overwork you as well as expect pretty well everything you can imagine from you with no raise in pay nor any type of recognition whatsover
Cons
long long hours, very repetitive and unfulfilling workplace
The managers are very nice and I love my coworkers (easily the best part of working here). The work is easy enough but never-ending and very repetitive on the sales floor. The corporation itself doesn't trust the employees to make decisions so at a cash you will have to call managers to sign off on most decisions (exchanges, price checks, etc.) Unfortunately, the managers don't always take into account that a lot of the employees are still in school so younger employees can feel very over-whelmed with school/work balance. But I would say it is a good entry-level job and chill.
Pros
50% discount on most of the store, great people
Cons
Repetitive, don't take outside-of-work lives of employees
Supervisors are not treated as part of management, mostly night and weekends offering no balance for those with families. Good training program but very little room for advancement
Pros
Great Team Members
Cons
Low Pay with minimal increases that do not keep up with cost of living
When I worked there it was a fun and productive job. I enjoyed it alot, aside from they did not listen to my needs. I was hired as part time (due to medical reasons I can't work more than that) they put me in for 8-9 hours a day 5-6 days a week. When I tried to talk about it they started scheduling me for more shifts/hours.
Pros
Great co-workers
Cons
Long hours and disregard for overworking staff.
All of my coworkers were a wonderful group of ladies! Everyone becomes really close friends and we all treat each other like a family, managers included. If you requested time off you would more than likely get it unless it was Halloween as the last 2 weeks of October are blacked out and you can not request time off during that time. December-March are incredibly slow and you will get sent home early quite a bit. We were understaffed a lot of times too to the point where you might work a 10 hour day or be asked to stay later because of frequent call ins. The only problems I had were I would get a write up if I didn’t get a certain amount of membership sign ups in a week which would be hard to do considering a lot of people are already members so it doesn’t count, and others don’t want to give out their email so it also doesn’t count. I could ask every customer I spoke with to give me their phone numbers but if they didn’t want to attach an email I would not be able to reach my goal of 3% sign ups per transaction. It was a very competitive place as we are a smaller store competing against the other VV’s in the Ottawa area. Operations would always get the short end of the stick and I didn’t feel we were as appreciated as Production was. I worked there for almost 3 years and made the best of friends, but the toxicity of the place as well as being put in the CDC area for a whole season despite not having any training and me saying countless times that I would much rather not, I decided to leave.
Pros
Free Lunches on Sale Days, 50% off discount on clothes, friendly coworkers
Cons
Work a lot of open to close shifts, slower days in the winter months, senior days are always extremely busy
Personally, I liked working there because of some of the benefits and I thrift often so it was kinda a win-win situation, however, if you're not into it it's hard to stay. the managers are often accommodating and easy to work with however some choices made by the store manager are rather questionable and tend to put a strain on staff members.
Pros
discounts
Cons
Mon passage au villages des valeurs est incroyable. La relation entre employer est spécial. On se considérait comme une famille. Toujours du fun tout en gardant nos sérieux. Quelques moment désagréable, mais on oublie vite !
Pros
La relation avec les membres d'Ă©quipe et la gestion
Cons
Manque parfois d'organisation, certain superviseur paresseux
You're expected to always do more. Work harder, not smarter would be an appropriate motto.Worked there for a little over a year and a half. No performance review, no "thanks for doing a good job", nothing. I gave two weeks notice, and actually expected an exit interview. No surprise, there was no exit interview. They obviously didn't care why I was leaving, they just wanted to get the next person in.Typical day involved processing incoming materiel, sorting an average of 1200 items, and getting the items to the floor.Air flow was minimal, causing me to provide my own fans for the workstation.Talking with coworkers is frowned on, as it's distracting.After a year and a half of working for minimum wage, with no positive feedback from management, it was time to leave.Benefits? You get what you pay for. You can sign up for group health benefits, but it comes out of your pay cheque. Employee discounts (20% - 50%) on items that have been on the floor for 48 hours or longer. The employees each start the day by looking forward to quitting time, so it's not exactly an uplifting environment.The only positive feedback I received was from fellow employees. The majority of them try to do all they can, and try to take a little pride in their work. At the end of the day, they're reminded that they can be easily replaced, and left with the feeling that their job is meaningless to management.To be fair, management just wants everything they can get for as little as they have to pay for it. The workers want all they can get for the least amount of effort they can put out. - more...
Pros
production employees work fairly fixed hours, Mon to Fri, with occasional Sundays
Cons
constant lifting, stationary workstation, standing on a flat concrete floor for 8hrs a day
Just don’t do it! Dishonest and sneaky management. A handful of good people who work hard. The others ruin it for the good people. Very demoralizing for those of us with a strong work ethic. The amount of waste is awful. They do not give back to the community they only cate about making a profit.
Pros
A few good folks
Cons
All the lies
I really did not enjoy working here. it was very stressful and none of the managers seem to be on the same page about anything. the building is very dirty.
Pros
Free lunch if you're employee of the week
Cons
long hours. they will keep you way past closing
- Management was atrocious. - Generally liked to pick on and bully the employees, often reminding them that they're expendable and replacable. Furthermore, they can and will actively bully employees they dislike into quitting so they don't fire them, thus underhandedly disallowing ex-staff members to apply for Employment Insurance. - No sense of work/life balance, often harassing employees for calling in sick once with guilt trips or threats of physical/written documentation outlining why you're in trouble for 'abandoning your team'. Furthermore, time off was often declined, regardless of frequency, yet management would take time off and call in sick whenever they felt like it? - Very quick to absolve themselves of blame and throw lower level employees under the bus or fault them for incidents that they didn't cause. - Promises of training on equipment such as forklifts, or cross-training into other departments, but never any follow-up.- A high level of patience is required for the customers. - Many customers were incredibly rude solely because it was a thrift store. - Many customers would try to donate broken items and literal garbage, claiming that they worked. - Be prepared to lift very heavy objects. Items can range from anywhere between 5 lbs and 75 lbs. Management will tell you to carry these by yourself at times.
Pros
Occasional free meals or cakes to celebrate birthdays, and employees are pretty close-knit and easy to get along with.
Cons
See review.
It's a good place to work as a first job. It can get stressful on their sale days or working in production. When I worked there they had no security to keep the front workers safe. There were a lot of times something would happen and we as people who worked there wanted security to feel safe at work. The only good thing about working at value village is your team members.
Pros
On sale days they give you free lunch
Cons
Lack of safety for the employees
The staff definitely made it feel like home. The management on the other hand was very unstable, they constantly kept loosing good supervisors and hiring new ones. A lot of the people who end up in management realize that their just given more work for not that much of a raise.
Pros
Discounts on clothes ( I was a fashion student at the time)
Cons
No free meals on horrific sale days
For how little you get paid the expectations are ridiculous. Management treated staff poorly and didn't really care about work/life balance like they claim.
I was often expected to work beyond shift time, working a total of 50+ hours a week, only 40 of which I received compensation. For the amount of remuneration and support I was offered, I don't think it was worth the work or stress of the job. Management is also condescending, sarcastic and unsupportive of work-life balance and mental health. Many people tried to report upper management for how they conducted themselves, but due to most interactions being in person with no physical evidence, the complaints were dismissed.