Value Village logo

Work-life balance
2.9
Pay & benefits

Found 345 reviews matching the searchSee all 3,715 reviews

great people who customers love

overall good place to work, in my opinion the pay is low for how much physical labour and exertion is required. However I would most. definitely recommend value village for somebody looking to get. into the work force or find a great group of co workers

Pros

supervisors and managment is verythoughtful and understanding

Cons

physically demanding and difficult for the pay

Brutal

Awful. The working conditions are poor at best and the management was intolerant. The workload was intense and backbreaking, the pay was just a few cents above minimum wage at the time. The job was truly soul-sucking and not fit for more than a summer gig. One coworker got her five-year recognition while I was there... it was done at 7:30 AM in the overcrowded breakroom and she was given a free dinner at the Boathouse. Not worth it. The turnover rate was incredible except for the few people who couldn't get work elsewhere.

Bad place to work

Staff turn over is high, they fire people for being sick. They will never pay overtime and raises are non existent. The staff is great but management sucks.

Customers & benefits = great. Pace = wonderful

Customers & benefits were definitely the best part. Explaining why staff allowed shoplifters to steal right in front of our faces (by the cart loads) and the paying customers watched & reported to staff which people were theives & staff done NOTHING BUT WATCH and made other shoppers PAY. Unfair to consumers to see, report & done NOTHING; as if tge staff did nit care. Staff. Hated this part of tge unfairness to our caring customers

work was very stressful,managment was horrible

If you value your sanity dont do it,i worked at the Vernon store for a long time the manager sucks the life right out of you.is so nice at first and then switches to being a tyrant..makes things up to write you up and makes you sign things you didnt do.just so they dont have to give you a raise .He bullies and harasses people all the time.Supervisors gossip all the time about team members.They favor some people and others they are so mean to.They say they have an open door policy for team members that need help thats a joke also value village management only looks out for managment ,not team members.This is my opinion of value village.ITS TOXIC work place..

Pros

monday to friday

Cons

Managment

Fast pace team oriented

Fast paced team oriented. Benefits minimum wage pay and often will have hours cut. Very hard to move up in the company as it’s so fast pace it seems people’s abilities are often over looked

Good work

Nice pay, coworkers are friendly, won't be a day where you won't laugh once. You get great benefits and there is always work to do whether working at the front or the back

Pros

Benefits, discounts, fast paced, always work to do

Cons

In winter you have to do a cart run around the mall and it gets cold

Management exploits employees and is concerned only of profit.

The worst employer I have ever come across. Management expects employees to work at a pace that even they can't keep up with. Washroom breaks outside of coffee or lunch breaks are frowned upon as they consider these breaks as time lost for the company. When an employee needs to take a day off from work it can be difficult to stay home. Manager does not like absences no matter the reason. Merchandise is over-priced and hardly any benefits for employees.

Great place to develop your management skills

Value Village is a great place to work if you are someone who is patient and values learning skills over a high starting salary. There is a lot of opportunity for growth in the company, and if you are okay with investing your time it absolutely does pay off. They truly do invest in their employees as long as you give the same level of investment. They take the time to develop strong leaders and do not define you by any missteps you make, in fact it is encouraged for your growth. You gain retail, warehouse, accounting, and production management skills with this company which is so unique and valuable in my opinion. Commitment, patience, and resilience are the keys in being successful with this company.

Would have been great except for the drama

Was repeatedly pushed and shoved by customers.... this place will suck out your soul and leave you a shell of your former self. The manager , insulted many people personally in front of witnesses and then claimed a lack of understanding the English language. The work was fast paced, I liked that. The management claims to have anti harassment policies but they’re not enforced if it’s the favourites that are the harassers. Regular staff turnovers.Training was not given, raises even if you had an outstanding review were pennies..

Jobs at Value Village

See more jobs

productive

its a really nice place to work to help the clients sometimes it gets stressed full but we try to do our best to make our client happy before they leave the store

Pros

free luch

Cons

Loved what the company stood for, wasn’t paid enough for the work load

I worked there for 4-5 years. For the first 2 or so years I absolutely loved it there. But we were always understaffed, our work loads were huge because of this, we received very little praise from management, certain people would do nothing and no one would get them in trouble, whereas the hard working team members would talk to another co worker for 2 minutes during down time and get in trouble. You can move up in the company very easily if you work there long enough, but management is underpaid and over worked as well. Overall just a toxic place to be for a long period of time.

Can be a hard place to work at

Most times its okay but there can be a lot of drama between staff members which the management often times joins in on. The benefits weren't all that great

Fast paced, physical

This is a fun, fast paced place. The people you work with make it a great atmosphere. They have good benefits and there is room to move up in the company.

Loading bay crew is the best. Management not good.

Its a place that is fast paced and hard working. Management doesn't know what their doing half the time and the only thing good I can say about the job is loading bay crew and the area of the loading bay is the best part and working area of the company. Your not respected much by management and they expect so much that the working salary is not worth the position at the job.

Good

Very Good place to work at. The pay is minimum wage but the work is stress free. Customers are nice, co-workers are mostly students and very nice. .

Not great

Job was fast paced and I was made to do things under lots of pressure and time restraints if you dont abide by those rules then you are criticized not enough shifts or hours given for workers also the location was not in a pleasurable place the only good thing about it was that when we made sales we got free meals from swiss chalet or got a pizza lunch and when it was employees birthday they would give the staff bday cake that we could have to eat cleaning up took long and we had to stay for hours behind to clean which made us have to leave work later than expected we also didnt get enough time to learn things

A good place to work

Value Village is a fun place to work where along with the salary we get employee benefits too. The employees get a 50% discount on most of the items while 30% off on some expensive products.

Just don’t waste your time

dont Even bother to waste your time. The only thing value village taught me in a year was how to be treated despicably for barely any pay. Worked for over a year and only received 19 cent raise. Unsafe working conditions, never received proper eye wear and was forced to throw away dangerous and sharp objects. People get hurt here ALOT.

Refuse

Will not review. Confidentiality. Prefer not to disclose good or bad times. I just wanted to update my resume, not praise or bash current or prior workplaces.

Meh

Not worth your time only minimum wage for the amount of work being done as a recycler you are under payed for a company as large as savers/ value village that can't even pay a living wage lots of favoritism and people you work hard our often very angry because there's nothing worse then watching lazy people being rewarded for not doing anything and management doing nothing

2.9Job security/advancement