Value Village logo

Work-life balance
2.9
Pay & benefits

Found 345 reviews matching the searchSee all 3,715 reviews

great people who customers love

overall good place to work, in my opinion the pay is low for how much physical labour and exertion is required. However I would most. definitely recommend value village for somebody looking to get. into the work force or find a great group of co workers

Pros

supervisors and managment is verythoughtful and understanding

Cons

physically demanding and difficult for the pay

Physically demanding without appropriate rotation of duties

High turnover of staff due to working conditions. Poor management. Half the floor staff works hard, half doesn't work at all. You are expected to move thousands of items per week. This is an extremely demanding job physically. Staff is generally frustrated and burnt out. You will be subjected to abusive patrons who come in frequently to steal as much as they can and you are not able to address this appropriately due to store rules.

Pros

Good benefits

Cons

You will need the medical benefits to have regular visits for pain caused by overexertion.

No work/life balance for Supervisors

Supervisors are not treated as part of management, mostly night and weekends offering no balance for those with families. Good training program but very little room for advancement

Pros

Great Team Members

Cons

Low Pay with minimal increases that do not keep up with cost of living

Productive and fun workplace but not very good with hours.

When I worked there it was a fun and productive job. I enjoyed it alot, aside from they did not listen to my needs. I was hired as part time (due to medical reasons I can't work more than that) they put me in for 8-9 hours a day 5-6 days a week. When I tried to talk about it they started scheduling me for more shifts/hours.

Pros

Great co-workers

Cons

Long hours and disregard for overworking staff.

sotre manager was hard to work with, bu my supervisors were nice

Personally, I liked working there because of some of the benefits and I thrift often so it was kinda a win-win situation, however, if you're not into it it's hard to stay. the managers are often accommodating and easy to work with however some choices made by the store manager are rather questionable and tend to put a strain on staff members.

Pros

discounts

Cons

Absolutely the worst job I've ever had

If I could give less than one star for management and the actual job, I would. Just like the other comments management doesn't care about you as a person, they care about their numbers and money. For example: I had a drs note to take time (1week) off due to an illness; once the week was up I got a call and was advised that it would be smart to come back to work. Basically telling me that if I didnt come back that my job might not be safe... Also, If you ever work here be prepared to get written up for the stupidest things. I posted a post on my personal private Facebook account; 2 hrs after posting I get paged up to the office. Turns out a coworker showed my boss the post and I got written up for "talking ill about the company". My Facebook never stated where I worked, and I didn't tag the company. It was just an absolute stupid reason to get written up. The only thing I enjoyed about working here was my coworkers and working during October because that's the only time you get to have fun since we used to be able to dress up everyday. If you want to work here, I recommend asking to work in CDC or as a Cashier. Do not work in Production under any circumstances. THIS COMPANY IS THE ABSOLUTE WORST THAT I HAVE EVER WORKED FOR!!

Pros

Discount and coworkers.

Cons

Management, poor salary, poor working conditions

fast pace...low pay

For the amount of work you do for the amount you get paid, very stressful. You pay for your own benefits. And remember, you are a team member and you belong to them. You can't do anything your way or how it is comfortable to you. Training is BS. Oh ya, and special treatment for certain employees.

Pros

face paced, good team

Cons

pay and bosses

Typical retail environment. You'll be overworked and underappreciated.

You're expected to always do more. Work harder, not smarter would be an appropriate motto.Worked there for a little over a year and a half. No performance review, no "thanks for doing a good job", nothing. I gave two weeks notice, and actually expected an exit interview. No surprise, there was no exit interview. They obviously didn't care why I was leaving, they just wanted to get the next person in.Typical day involved processing incoming materiel, sorting an average of 1200 items, and getting the items to the floor.Air flow was minimal, causing me to provide my own fans for the workstation.Talking with coworkers is frowned on, as it's distracting.After a year and a half of working for minimum wage, with no positive feedback from management, it was time to leave.Benefits? You get what you pay for. You can sign up for group health benefits, but it comes out of your pay cheque. Employee discounts (20% - 50%) on items that have been on the floor for 48 hours or longer. The employees each start the day by looking forward to quitting time, so it's not exactly an uplifting environment.The only positive feedback I received was from fellow employees. The majority of them try to do all they can, and try to take a little pride in their work. At the end of the day, they're reminded that they can be easily replaced, and left with the feeling that their job is meaningless to management.To be fair, management just wants everything they can get for as little as they have to pay for it. The workers want all they can get for the least amount of effort they can put out. -

Pros

production employees work fairly fixed hours, Mon to Fri, with occasional Sundays

Cons

constant lifting, stationary workstation, standing on a flat concrete floor for 8hrs a day

did not enjoy

I really did not enjoy working here. it was very stressful and none of the managers seem to be on the same page about anything. the building is very dirty.

Pros

Free lunch if you're employee of the week

Cons

long hours. they will keep you way past closing

Fun workplace. Management needs work

production management won't praise you for a good job just writes you up for tiny mistakes. Has favorite employees who get away with anything. Belittles you if you're still learning. Production supervisors are the only saving grace

Pros

Supportive supervisors. And half price clothing

Jobs at Value Village

See more jobs

Sweatshop mentality

Dont do it unless you want to be treated like a number. Min wage with factory quota expectations. Virtually a sweatshop. They utilize the recycling and charity model but it's all about profit profit profit.

Pros

Discount

Fun environment

Manager was great but they’re was definitely favourite and seniority between certain supervisors and staff members. Always cut shifts early so even if you are full time you aren’t making full time hours. Good discount. A lot of back talking between staff members and a lot of drama.

Great people to work with

The staff definitely made it feel like home. The management on the other hand was very unstable, they constantly kept loosing good supervisors and hiring new ones. A lot of the people who end up in management realize that their just given more work for not that much of a raise.

Pros

Discounts on clothes ( I was a fashion student at the time)

Cons

No free meals on horrific sale days

Does not pay enough for job responsibilities

I was often expected to work beyond shift time, working a total of 50+ hours a week, only 40 of which I received compensation. For the amount of remuneration and support I was offered, I don't think it was worth the work or stress of the job. Management is also condescending, sarcastic and unsupportive of work-life balance and mental health. Many people tried to report upper management for how they conducted themselves, but due to most interactions being in person with no physical evidence, the complaints were dismissed.

positive work place

Value Village is a positive fast-paced workplace with good team members and work culture. The working hours are very convenient for me and the benefits that I get as an employee are appreciable.

Pretty decent

More physical than you think.staff are pretty good and so is management. Definitely underpaid. Fun especially during halloween. Decent hours if your in the back (before covid) .

productive and helpful

I worked at this place for about 2 years. It was a very good experience. Very helpful managers. Good second hand store especially for low income people.

good people and good for temporary work.

the coworkers you'll have are awesome people and this would be a good job for someone to do over the summer or a semester off from school but not for long term.

Short

Part-time is horrible. Everyone hated the hours, how much it felt management was pushing you for all you were worth. High turnover rate. They will divide hours between part-time associates when unnecessary, such as hiring another part timer when they already have several and hours are scarce. Depressing to work at.

Rewarding

This company is into promoting employees from within. Consideration of achievement is compensated by way salary ,bonus and written comments. They are extremely involved in their community and assist local non profit communities.

Great people, bad managment, very physical

I actually loved my job at Value Village. its very fast paced and physical, but you can learn alot and train in multiple departments. Managment could be better, head office is unrealistic when it comes to sales and quota, large work load, low pay for the job but great benefits. Discount is awesome, overall it is a good job but it is hard work for pretty low pay.

2.9Job security/advancement