Value Village
Savers/Value Village

Value Village Management reviews

Even though the coworkers were amazing, about 3 of the 5 supervisors you will encounter weren't the best. One seemed like they were in a bad mood all the time and judgemental, another not showing much excitement, and another looking energetically-drained all the time. These three definitely hindered my experience, especially the first one I mentioned. The other 2 supervisors were great! Lively, cheerful, understanding, and a pleasure to work with. The job is easy to learn. I learnt how to operate the cash register in just 2 hours and knew everything I needed. Understanding the organizing system with the clothes was also easy. And new Covid-19 front-door-greeter protocols are very basic. If there were a few tips I could give, these would be it:- Be wary of some customers. Maple Ridge is not the best in terms of the homelessness situation and Value Village attracts these people and they can be difficult sometimes. - Don't let the supervisors or especially customers make you feel down. In the end, it's a thrift store. You are doing your best and the team does appreciate your work and effort. - Make friends with some of the customers. It was a bitter-sweet moment with some of the regulars when I left- Call out mistakes by supervisors. They will sometimes forget your Lunch or Coffee breaks or forget you are working in another department. Make sure to let them know!All in all, this was a great place to get my first job experience. Most of the coworkers are great people to be with. Definitely made the day better. The supervisors can be difficult sometimes, but genuinely - more...
Pros
Easy to learn, fun coworkers, fast days due to busyness
Cons
Stressful management, difficult customers sometimes, sense of self-ownership
At Value Village, the management will treat you as less-than-human and will overwork you because they’re too lazy to do anything other than critique minimum-wage workers and lock themselves up in the office away from customers insulting workers. They will be frustrated when you ask them to do their job and will take their time before helping you and any customers. Many managers and supervisors act as if they’re in a clique and are unapproachable. They do not care if you were supposed to go for lunch 30 mins to an hour ago and will ask you to wait another 15 minutes so they can go on their break.They’re horrible at communicating with and will constantly avoid making any changes in the schedule to help employees. Even emailing them daily about time-off needed for personal reasons such as doctors appointments or mandatory events months in advance can’t assure that your requests will be met (many coworkers have told me that they weren’t able to take shifts off after the deaths of loved ones). I had a surgery and told them 2 months in advance telling them the date and the time off needed for recovery and I was schedule 2 days after my surgery. Managers will constantly complain about workers making requests for well-deserved time off.Managers will complain about the messy state of the sales floor but will do nothing to help out and will constantly complain about being understaffed but won’t hire anyone new even if there are people coming in weekly to see if they’re hiring. They will assign you to a section of a store to clean by yourself, and will constantly have you working as - more...
Pros
employee discount (50% off clothing, 30% off everything else), sometimes you're lucky and coworkers are nice and you become friends easily
Cons
horrible management, disrespect from managers and customers, over-worked for minimum wage, either give you too much hours or not enough
Blind leading the blind is their training method here when you work in this place. You have a laziest managers and supervisors that pretends to know everything. All they care about is you reaching your job quota and sales so they get their bonuses. Also, managers and supervisors pays favouritism when it comes to staff and who gets higher hourly pays.. Most employees who has been there for over two years still gets minimum wage. If you do get a little pay raise, manager will talk to you not to say anything to others. Also, management don't trust their employess and question them when they call in sick. Seriously, do work here and see what I'm talking about.
Pros
Free lunches sometimes and staff discount
Cons
Too many to list but basically they will treat you like a slave period unless they like you.
Terrible management. Zero respect, yet they don’t like it when you defend yourself or others. Harassment at its finest even if you email HR, they won’t get back to you. 9/10 staff members are more like family They do not care if customers treat you poorly
Pros
Discounts and frequent customers
Cons
Management refuse to be retrained
If you want an environment full of toxic people who treat you like garbage this is the job for you! Why?...- Overworking staff- Drama like you're in middle school- made me clean toilets without any PPE even tho I asked several times.- manipulative management- They don't take employee concerns seriously- many times they either don't give you your break or delay it longer than they schedule you for- treat younger staff with disrespect
Pros
50% off used clothing
Cons
Everything else
Location was awesome .. bus and walking .. however workin production sucked .. mean people and favortism on so many levels .. l was trained by another person from edmonton n what l was later told is l was doin everything wrong .. they expect u to do more than u can in a day n then give u shot cuz THEY sent production home early n after u ask to stay so u can finish .. they give u heck cuz u didnt finish processing ..
Pros
Close location hours
Cons
Mean supervisors .. ALOT of favoritism .. over worked under appreciated
I was at Value Village long enough to earn a promotion. The job itself is fine customer service and clean up after customers. The supervisors are not paid nearly enough (a couple dollars over minimum wage) to manage the front end staff AND deal with the clientele that value village attracts. All Value Village management are told they are not allowed to hand out references for ex employees, so steer clear if you're looking for a good reference. There's a sense of competition and resentment between front end staff and production staff that is not mitigated by the store managers at all. In the end, Value village is a great place to start out a career in management as they often promote from within.
Pros
Great opportunities for advancement
Cons
Stressful customers, management cant give references
My coworkers were the best, and the benefits were great! Unfortunately, as a cashier I had to perform tasks such as working in the community donation center because they were heavily understaffed for months, as well as working in production for my last few weeks. They claimed I (and other fellow cashiers) had to work in production because cashiers asking for more hours during spring break, so we were sent to work in production. What didn't make sense is that then they purposely understaffed cashiers - making it constantly busy at the tills - to increase productivity, leaving the store a mess the entire day while cashiers who could help had to stay in production...
Pros
Friendly coworkers and great benefits, helping the environment
Cons
Management makes bad decisions, unfair work
Value Village on Ottawa Street is a horrible place to work. Management does not care about the well-being or safety of their employees. Staff are overworked for minimum wage. The store manager only cares about money. She consistently blamed young woman for comments male customers would make towards them when they uncomfortable. Nor did she care about the safety of her staff during a pandemic.Overall, stay away.
I was here for a few years. Lots and lots of favoritism throughout the entire store. If you work hard you get dumped on. I was spoken to unprofessionally by managers many times throughout my job at Value Village. Including when I quit. In fact I was laughed at. There are no boundaries. I do not recommend working here.
Pros
coworkers are lovely, employee discount
Cons
treated unfairly, behind-back talking, short hours
This is legitimately the worst company I have yet to work for. Management is extremely disrespectful and condescending to team members, they overwork and underpay workers for their expectations, they treat workers like machines rather than people, and despite having an open door policy they refuse to listen to anyone who isn't a member of management and always end up excusing them of any reports or complaints, where as team members would be fired on the spot without a second to defend themselves or explain the situation. Management tries to hold production members accountable for their own jobs, and insinuates wrongful terminations if you speak out about their tyranny and unrealistic expectations. If I could give this company negative stars I would've. This job does nothing but damage it's workers physical and mental health, they have alright benefits, but that's just about the only thing going for them, as even to utilize your discount or to even purchase any items they must be on the sales floor for 48 hours. They also refuse to listen to your work availability and force you to work shifts even if you've communicated your situations to them.
Pros
okay benefits, 50% discount on soft goods, 30% discount on housewares
Cons
disrespectful management, little pay, overworks, unfair treatment, unsafe work conditions and work environment
Management was lacklustre and very very behind with the times, they are out of touch with the customer base and the community at large, and trying to get any type of request or form by them is a painfully long task. The employees and some supervisors are treated like garbage, while the higher up management is very cliquy and not friendly to approach. The customers that come through are also very rude, and it has only gotten worse the COVID-19 restrictions in place, which the store was not really trying to implement anyways. For minimum wage, you're better off trying something else
Pros
The co-workers who also hate working there
Cons
Terrible management, rude customers, no team member safety
The co-workers were great but management was a joke. They had no respect for their employees and treated us like robots. Not accomodating for disabilities. Poor training. Worst job I've ever had.
Cons
Poor management, Stressful, Extreme Expectations
I think time is precious thing so we should make the best use of it. So don’t you even bother to waste your time here. Overall everything drama worst management I have a ever work and such a dirty environment
Pros
Nothing., time waste
Cons
worst management
I assist customers with donations in the CDC(Community donation centre).On a daily basis, I organize the donated materials onto carts with wheels.I have learned the value of customer service.Management is very polite and easy-going as long as you focus on the job at hand. Fellow employees are respectable and polite as well.
Work load is hard for little payfriendly coworkers, like familylearned a lot about merchandisingmost enjoyable part is working with good peoplemanagement can use some work
Pros
quarterly bonuses
Cons
pay
Probably one of the worst jobs I have ever had. My coworkers were alright at best, majority of the time I felt like I wasn't part of the team. Lots of drama, really poor management. One of my biggest issues is the lack of concern over hazards that can cause long term health problems. Not a single mention of any of the health issues that come with the job, lack of PPE in certain situations while working.
Pros
It's a job with benefits
Cons
Low wage, shotty management.
I had such a bad experience working here. The environment is stressful and all your coworkers make you feel bad about being stressed and will be rude to each other instead of helping each other out. Managers would toy with my anxiety and single me out for no reason. At one point while closing, a manager told other workers not to help and get their things while I was stuck doing a very long task by myself the entire time. Eventually telling me stop because it wasn’t going to get done without help, and I clocked out. I had such a bad panic attack that night. Only a few coworkers we’re actually nice and hated it there just as much. I think I only had one nice manager my entire time being there. Very stressful, unwelcoming, and unkind work environment.
Pros
None, don’t work here.
Cons
Everything, management, co workers, environment.
Hated working here was in and out of the office because few people didn't like me. Had to apologize for things not my fault or didn't do. And management was joke so was safety
Pros
Get treated like trash
Cons
To many to list
If you work in the back it's dirty, back breaking work. It will do a number on your body. You are always sick due to tge disgusting things that come in donation bags. Management is terrible and has little to no control over the staff. I was injured on the job due to management cutting saftey corners and the company treated me terribly while I tried to heal from the injury they caused.
Cons
Dirty, poor management, bad environment
It's an awful place to work, co workers are fun some of them but the managers need to learn to control emotions while at work and not take it out on employees. Very confusing place to work because no one seems to know what's actually going on.
Pros
50% off but thats the only pro
Cons
Really bad to employees.