Value Village logo

2.9
Job security & advancement

Found 271 reviews matching the searchSee all 3,715 reviews

Fun workplace. Management needs work

production management won't praise you for a good job just writes you up for tiny mistakes. Has favorite employees who get away with anything. Belittles you if you're still learning. Production supervisors are the only saving grace

Pros

Supportive supervisors. And half price clothing

Supervisor

I was a nice experience working with the best of people at savers. The growth chances were limited but the work environment was nice. Direct managers were a bit snobbish and careless

excellent

Excellent place to work, would highly recommend. Always room for growth with great training. Friendly, helpfull staff. great benefits. one big family.

Great place and great people— insanely high standards

While this is a great company to work for that has amazing benefits and values, I was unfortunately suddenly let go after two months because I couldn’t meet the processing standards that they expected. I believe this was because of the short amount of time I was given, and the fact that I was trained wrong in my position at the start. The processing targets are very high, multiple workers there have told me that even they don’t meet them on the daily after 2+ years of experience there. Even though I had an unsavoury experience, Value Village is a great company, just a little rough around the edges when it comes to flexibility around their daily processing targets.

Pros

Good benefits

Cons

High standards

Avoid at all costs

Worked here for a year, management was horrible, standing over you, timing you, every action has to take less than 10 secs or you're fired. You're better off anywhere else.

Pros

Good discount on products that have been on the shelves for over a week

Awesome Management

Management gave me the opportunity to work in production and operations when I requested to learn new skills. Although advancement is limited if you're not interested in becoming a manager, the job itself comes with a great team that felt like friends. Coming to work here was enjoyable at best and honestly not that bad on difficult days. Work environment can be fairly gossipy and there isn't yet.n effective way of dealing with shoplifters. Overall I would highly recommend working here. Management treats employees well and brings in treats on busy days or celebrations. I felt like part of a team here. A great job overall.

Pros

Great management

Cons

Limited ability to grow new skills

family

I really loved working at the village. we all became a big family. I would have stayed there forever but. When things didnt go the way the manager wanted they found a way to get rid of you

Good minimum wage work and retail experience

When you join Value Village you either get put in production or front end team member, there are various positions available depending on where you would fit in ( Donations, Cashier, Fixing store, as well as production. ) Rate 9/10 just because the team is so friendly to each other and works well together.

Pros

Very friendly team and supervisors are well trained.

Cons

Hard Work occasionally, not very good raises ( 3% yearly ) almost amounts to about what inflation is.

Toxic environment

Overall the work is pretty easy and the benefits are good. Pay is minimum wage with the possibility of a 50 cent raise per year. The biggest issue is the workers and work culture is very toxic. I've described working here as being similar to being in an abusive relationship, I'm sure you can figure out why once you've worker for this company.

benefits

Cons

everything else

Friendly coworkers.

Friendly environment that promotes personal growth as well as company growth. Management and coworkers always help each other improve in many ways whether it be training for a new position or something to make work more accessible.

Jobs at Value Village

See more jobs

Good job fun yes

A Progressive Modern Company which strives to adapt and lead in the Data field across many applications now and for the future. High expectations of fwew yes

Good

Challenging and always learning new things. Lots of growth opportunity. Fun days. Eco friendly. Busy days. Cross training. Learn lots of new skills. Great community connections.

good

i learned a lot about customer service also charity work also i helped a lot of people get what their looking for also i got good retail experience i love it

It was a fun place to work, and it helped me developed great skills

Working here really helped me to further develop my leadership and interpersonal skills. Management could have been better, but to my knowledge it has gotten better since I left! Overall, it was a very fun place to work and I would recommend it!

Experience is really the only thing I received

The work started out okay, but I soon started to feel target by the management. I would do something that was in my task, and when I would take a small breather, I would get berated by a supervisor or manager who would just think that I wasn't doing anything for a while.

Pros

Employee discount

Cons

Only high hours during the busy holiday seasons

Stayed for Co-Workers/ Terrible Management

-Was part time but got full time hours with no benefits -Worked there for close to two years and got no promotions -Management was difficult to talk to and breathed down your back -Cut your hours down to nothing (got 10 hours one week) -On Call shifts were waste of time, didn't need you 90% of the time -Co-Workers were a joy to work with and made work easier -Dusty environment can make you sick -Bugs and other things are crawling (got bit once)

You become part of the Village family

Value Village does valuable work within the local community and the world community. They have an excellent benefits package for full time staff that is difficult to find in any sort of entry-level job like this. Managers and supervisors care about their staff, and though there is not high turnover for these positions, a promotion or raise is a relatively attainable goal for any hard-working employee to obtain. My old supervisors still greet me by name and it often feels like I'm just leisurely shopping and chatting after clocking out despite not having worked for Value Village in years.

I would rather did ditches

I worked for Value Village Courtenay for 3 years. 2 years as as a production supervisor. They pay so little most employees cannot afford a car and share rides or walk to work. As a supervisor and a single parent I was paid $15 an hour which barely paid the bills, raises were about 25 cents an hour annually. Thankfully I was able to get a hamper at Christmas. I worked hard, and was verbally recognised for my ability to meet targets and manage labour. I was not considered for promotion because my single parent lifestyle had me using more sick time than most as any time I needed for my child, or appointments was taken out of sick pay. I was eventually fired for going over my sick time while I had the flu. I was even told by the district manager at one point to deliberately make friends with stay at home mom's so they could watch my kid for free as some sort of legitimate solution to my "unexcused absences," This company cares about profits only. The same year I had a hamper at Christmas my store made almost a million dollars in profits. We were given paper $25 gift certificates as "bonuses" that were listed on our paycheques as pay and we paid tax on them. If you didn't use the whole thing you did not get change back, and they expired in March.

Pros

50% discount on clothing

Cons

Hostile culture, no work life balance

Great Company with advancement opportunities

Gained valuable Management experience with a company that gives back to the community in many ways. Good advancement opportunities and solid Management teams at the various Edmonton and area locations.

Productif et Agréable

Nous réussissons toujours à trouver un point d'entente.

Questionable job, fantastic people - at least at the store where i was at

I have personally learned how to be a productive employee and individual and grew as a person over my long service to Value Village. The work culture is at times clique-y but depending on your department is very welcoming.

2.9Job security/advancement