Value Village
Savers/Value Village
Happiness score is 50 out of 100

Value Village Job security & advancement reviews

production management won't praise you for a good job just writes you up for tiny mistakes. Has favorite employees who get away with anything. Belittles you if you're still learning. Production supervisors are the only saving grace
Pros
Supportive supervisors. And half price clothing
Cons
Value village would be a great first job. They accept anybody who is qualified and are very diverse with whom they choose. Not a bad environment, co-workers are very nice and supportive
Nah, you can do so much better than here, trust me. There's these two team members who are just a headache to deal with and never get in trouble. People have quit/fired but they stay cause they're friends with the store manager. Its honestly disgusting smh
Very routine and little room is given for innovation. A strict compliance to how it has always been and huge distraction to how it could be made better. Employees well being is not treated as it should neglecting the popular thought that you as made by the talent within your organisation.
value village is a great place to learn and grow your knowledge of working with many different customers, working with many great employees and learn to work in a fast- paced environment
Great working here met great people overall a great experience. Management was great and fairly treating every working amazing opportunity taken and great experience earned for the future.
A very low salary & demanding stressful workplace, Management is not good, slow career advancement, Management our not respectful & values our not being instilled from the management & all employees. I worked here for many years, until i left because of really bad experienced.
I cant describe a typical day because mine were never the same day to day. I received minimal training. They only trained me on the floor for 1 4 hour shift. No training at all on how to deal with customers. There was a major lack of communication supervisor to supervisor and supervisor to employee. Countless times i missed a break because i was not informed (front of house does not have set break times). I was unable to plan anything more than a few days in advance because our weekly schedules came out the day before the 'week' started. 90% of the time i only had 2 shifts a week (that's 2 4 hour shifts). They had a policy where an employee could not close the store and open it the next day, I had to do that on more than one occasion. In the fitting rooms it was expected to be clean and tidy. i agree with that, But there is only 1 employee and 50 customers waiting in line, and only 5 rooms. Customers are expecting fast service and don't enjoy being told that you have to clean 3 changing rooms before they can get in one. The managers were informed that I moved and public transport started at a certain time and i was scheduled to start before i could have gotten there. They say they care but they really don't. They say they will do everything they can to make it easier to work for them but they don't. I ended up getting sick after Christmas and missed 1 day more than the allowed 10 days sick. I was fired (Since I left I have been told that they had to hire 3 people to do the work that I was doing on my own.) Bottom line is.....Value Village does not care about its employees. - more...
Working there was actually really fun. I would’ve stayed but there were job openings closer to my house. My teammates really made me feel welcomed, and I quite enjoyed my first job.
Fast paced work environment, highly dependent on teamwork. The mission of the recycling and charity aspects are a positive aspect but the compensation for certain roles within the company is not commiserate with the level of work.
Experience may vary depending on location. Often have little to no work, and hours are always cut during the winter from Mid-November into February. There is seldom an opportunity to be cross-trained, especially if management considers you good at your job. There is a lot of repetitive motion, and the Orleans location does not allow for any switching of duties to prevent injuries from repetitive motions. If you enjoy doing the exact same thing for the rest of your career, then this is the job for you.
People are great that work there, supervisors at pretty laid back, but expect you to work. Benefits program and paid vacation are a bonus. Advancement seems like it's nearly impossible this would be the only down fall of this company
I learned lots of work there . I start with cash then i learned there sorting, tagging in all fields cloth misc,shoes nick nack . rolling . It was so fun to work with value village team and lots of learning.
I've been working at Value Village for more than 2 years and I am very satisfied with the employees and the work environment there. I highly recommend this job for both full time and part time, They also help Diabetes Canada which is also a plus point.
I had a great work experience working here the people were nice met a lot of people helped me expand my customer service skills a lot had amazing management would recommend this job to some who likes clothing & donating.
Be prepared to work. Pay is too low. No vacation for a year, no raise for a year, no sick time for a year. People are good but business is all about processing stuff as fast as possible.
the location i worked at is a mess and as far as I know, its still a mess. The managers would use bullying tactics as a way of getting the employees to push club cards on customers, and if you didn't get enough people to sign up, they would threaten you with a write up and potential termination. They hired whomever would basically show up to the interview and 9 times out of 10 those people would either quit very shortly after or it would be someone who doesn't do anything at the place but would somehow never get fired for being lazy or not completing work tasks. Often times when you're on call (especially in afternoons or planned sales events) you'd be called in and a lot of the time you were un-needed to work but you'd probably be there for the rest of the shift and they'd send someone else home. Or if you're on call sometimes they'd tell you not to worry about coming in but if there isn't someone else that can come in if there are any issues they'll call you last minute (when you ironically make plans) and beg you to come in.
Toxic environment, false promises for advancement, favoritism for those who do not deserve promotions, low pay rate, cold working conditions , stressful pressure by management to meet unrealistic quotas , always understaffed
I personally worked at the Rogers rd. site and once they switched management it made the job impossible to keep. There was a front end supervisor harassing me and when I tried to tell management I was ignored. Sadly, that being said I decided to leave Value village and continue with my studies as my main focus. I look forward to a better job hopefully as rewarding as this one first was.
Pros
Workplace employee to employee dynamic.
Cons
Long hours, physically demanding, terrible management
I worked at value village for 5 years. First I started off as a cashier then made my way into the production room where I did various positions. My favourite was being a pricer. Less dirty and physical. They offer great benefits for full timers, paid vacation even for part timers after a year, paid sick days and yearly raise (starting off at minimum wage). Oh, and the discount was awesome. Obviously there were problems with management and the job can be very physically demanding, fast paced and stressful but I worked Monday-Friday and it made up for some of it!
Working at Value Village was not the best experience for me personally. It was not the kind of job I would recommend if you are looking for a smaller location with a lot of organization.
  1. Job Security & Advancement