Value Village logo

Clear
2.9Job security & advancement

Found 281 reviews matching the searchSee all 3,729 reviews

Fun workplace. Management needs work

production management won't praise you for a good job just writes you up for tiny mistakes. Has favorite employees who get away with anything. Belittles you if you're still learning. Production supervisors are the only saving grace

Pros

Supportive supervisors. And half price clothing

Cons

You become part of the Village family

Value Village does valuable work within the local community and the world community. They have an excellent benefits package for full time staff that is difficult to find in any sort of entry-level job like this. Managers and supervisors care about their staff, and though there is not high turnover for these positions, a promotion or raise is a relatively attainable goal for any hard-working employee to obtain. My old supervisors still greet me by name and it often feels like I'm just leisurely shopping and chatting after clocking out despite not having worked for Value Village in years.

I would rather did ditches

I worked for Value Village Courtenay for 3 years. 2 years as as a production supervisor. They pay so little most employees cannot afford a car and share rides or walk to work. As a supervisor and a single parent I was paid $15 an hour which barely paid the bills, raises were about 25 cents an hour annually. Thankfully I was able to get a hamper at Christmas. I worked hard, and was verbally recognised for my ability to meet targets and manage labour. I was not considered for promotion because my single parent lifestyle had me using more sick time than most as any time I needed for my child, or appointments was taken out of sick pay. I was eventually fired for going over my sick time while I had the flu. I was even told by the district manager at one point to deliberately make friends with stay at home mom's so they could watch my kid for free as some sort of legitimate solution to my "unexcused absences," This company cares about profits only. The same year I had a hamper at Christmas my store made almost a million dollars in profits. We were given paper $25 gift certificates as "bonuses" that were listed on our paycheques as pay and we paid tax on them. If you didn't use the whole thing you did not get change back, and they expired in March.

Pros

50% discount on clothing

Cons

Hostile culture, no work life balance

Great Company with advancement opportunities

Gained valuable Management experience with a company that gives back to the community in many ways. Good advancement opportunities and solid Management teams at the various Edmonton and area locations.

Productif et Agréable

Nous réussissons toujours à trouver un point d'entente.

Questionable job, fantastic people - at least at the store where i was at

I have personally learned how to be a productive employee and individual and grew as a person over my long service to Value Village. The work culture is at times clique-y but depending on your department is very welcoming.

very good experience

Very good experience, good environment with the crew members on the sale floor, working with different cultural team, the environment at work very diverse.

environnement de travail agréable

Je continue de travailler pour cette compagnie parce que j'adore mon équipe sans plus....l'échelle salariale est très basse comparativement à d'autre chaine de magasin....surtout lorsqu'il y a promotion interne. j'ai une superviseur qui gagne 1.15$ de plus de l'heure que les caissière arrivé récemment....et elle travaille pour nous depuis 6 ans...

Bonne job étudiante, sans plus

J'ai travaill√© √† deux Villages des Valeurs ces trois derni√®res ann√©es, et l'exp√©rience n'est pas pareille aux deux places, mais se ressemblent sur certains points. O√Ļ je suis en ce moment, la gestion est mis√©rable, les g√©rants ne savent pas comment g√©rer et sont agressifs et pas du tout agr√©ables √† travailler avec. Les horaires sont donn√©s vraiment √† la derni√®re minute, les heures sont peu constantes (une semaine; 19h et l'autre; 7h). L'achalandage est tr√®s diff√©rent en automne (pour Halloween) que le reste de l'ann√©e et √ßa se ressent. L'environnement de travail est sale! Poussi√®re partout, odeurs, salet√©. Entreprise bas√© sur l'environnement et le recyclage, mais aucun bac de recyclage en avant aux caisses, donc les sacs de cartons, les factures, les papiers et tout objet se recyclant vont direct √† la poubelle. Beaucoup de difficult√©s employ√©s-g√©rants. J'adore mes coll√®gues, mais la plupart sont partis apr√®s √† peine 6-7 mois de travail. Je pense √† chercher ailleurs aussi. Par contre, bonnes valeurs du magasin, les superviseurs (pas les g√©rants - √† ne pas m√©langer) sont vraiment gentils et nous font sentir plus importants. Service √† la client√®le tr√®s bon, toujours √† l'√©coute du client.

Pros

Rabais employé (30-50%)

Cons

Salaire bas, pas syndiqué, aucun avantage sociaux, stressant

Overall Perception of the company

During my 3 years working for the company, I felt that the company was very unprofessional. It was very hard to communicate with Management. Never listened to suggestion or inputs on how to improve the company.

Jobs at Value Village

See more jobs

good place with lots of oportunity

great company and great people at the store i worked with. there are so many different areas to work in with these stores so there is something for everyone as well as tons of areas for advacement. pay was fair and management was always professional.

Friendly team members, good working environment

Typical retail position. Selected operations team members are extremely friendly, often diverse, and delightful to work with for the vast majority of the time.

Pros

Flexible hours, competitive rates, paid vacation

Cons

I don’t know it’s retail

Excellent organization to work here

I also enjoyed and learn at Value village to work here and have improve alot of my skills like technical and communication, dealing with customers and resolving their issues is huge asset for me

Nice co-workers not a good system running it

Enjoy the people i work with but management of the store is a bit chaotic. They also tell you of advancement but never follow through. Hours are put in for one reason and completely changed last minute for completely different reason.

Poste de direction stimulant

Philosophie de l`entreprise excellente( fait affaire avec des association a but non lucratif ) , tres bonne formation , avancement et carriere motivant . Salaire et bonus au dessus de la moyenne . Entreprise en constante progression et évolution . Ambiance de travail bonne et sécuritaire .

Pros

Réunion des directeurs annuel dans des endroits exotiques .

Cons

Exigence financier élevé

productive

i learned a lot of staff, there is a lot of opportunities to grow into the company, a good support from team members and management. the most enjoyable part was bbqs.

Good starting/summer job

a good place for a starting or summer job, typical day at work is demanding but rewarding. I learned valuable organization skills and real life work skills. Everyone you work with is friendly and will answer all question you have about working there and what is expected of you.

Poor Employee Treatment and Management

This is an American employer with poor standards for treatment of employees, Employees are assumed to be thieves and are expected to display personal property and bags each time they leave store to ensure they are not stealing property. Management to staff ratio on average shift is 1.5-1, staff must not talk or converse with one another and are monitored on video and called on infractions for any conversation deemed "socializing". Employees are not valued and as such there is a high volume of staff turn over. Neither Operations, nor Production staff are valued, and staff quit without notice at an average rate of 1 per week or higher. Management has a reputation in Penticton for poor treatment and rudeness to employees and employee discord is high. Advancement opportunity does not exist with 0% in-house advancement from staff to management. Employee favoritism is rampant and experience and expertise are not valued in adult or mature staff. Open door policy is not followed and complaints are not taken seriously. This company has a bad reputation as an employer for good reason, in my time working there, 8 staff left in a three month period, both in Operations and Production, myself included. I have never worked for such poor employer with such rude, overbearing and aggressive management. Expectation of working with dirty, smelly used clothing and other items required. Cashiers are expected to clean toilets and on every shift, there is no janitorial staff and the store is filthy and disgusting. Minimum wage is not worth the hours, nor the workload expected, this is a poor place -

Pros

None, 50% discount on purchases but none permitted until item has been on floor for 3 days

Cons

No purchases until items displayed 3 days, so items are never available for purchase, no cash returns, Customers valued far more than staff

I worked at Value village over 5 years

Value Village is a good company to work for if you are a student or retired. the culture of the company isn't the greatest and the safety standards are very bad.

Decent

Savers company is great and I have no problems with the company itself, but the managers when I worked at value village were degrading, one told her daughter I was a druggie because I had acne and almost got me fired over it, overall amazing job fun customers, I just wish I worked in a different store

Pros

50% off soft items 30% off hard items

Environnement de travaille lourd

Par o√Ļ commencer.. La pire job que j‚Äôai eu. L‚Äôenvironne de travaille es beaucoup trop stressant,les superviseurs ne communique pas entre eu ce qui cause confusions. Tu te fait menacer de te faire mettre dehors √† tout bout de champ.Tu doit forcer les clients √† prendre une carte de donateur car sinon tu te fait crier dessu par le g√©rant qui te menace encore de te mettre √† la porte. Enplus tu doit sortir un certain nombre de sacs de jouets par jour sinon tu te le fait dire. Les employ√©s prenne tes choses de travail et les perde mes sa tombe sur ton cas encore. Tu a une tonne de dons que tu doit classer par cat√©gorie sans rien poser par terre mes les recycler prenne un temps de fou √† venir vider ta salle de don. Rentrer travailler de reculon chaque matin..

Pros

Collègues de travaille agréable

Cons

Environnement stressant

2.9Job security/advancement