Value Village
Savers/Value Village

Value Village Job security & advancement reviews

production management won't praise you for a good job just writes you up for tiny mistakes. Has favorite employees who get away with anything. Belittles you if you're still learning. Production supervisors are the only saving grace
Pros
Supportive supervisors. And half price clothing
Cons
Everyone was so friendly and we all looked out for each other. The manager was easy to work for also. Also there is lots of room for advancement within the company
I have learned so much while working at Value Village. It has been such a great experience! The interview process was so fun. Overall there is a lot of things that you need to learn in order to work without stress in this work environment, but it is so great.
Blind leading the blind is their training method here when you work in this place. You have a laziest managers and supervisors that pretends to know everything. All they care about is you reaching your job quota and sales so they get their bonuses. Also, managers and supervisors pays favouritism when it comes to staff and who gets higher hourly pays.. Most employees who has been there for over two years still gets minimum wage. If you do get a little pay raise, manager will talk to you not to say anything to others. Also, management don't trust their employess and question them when they call in sick. Seriously, do work here and see what I'm talking about.
Pros
Free lunches sometimes and staff discount
Cons
Too many to list but basically they will treat you like a slave period unless they like you.
I was at Value Village long enough to earn a promotion. The job itself is fine customer service and clean up after customers. The supervisors are not paid nearly enough (a couple dollars over minimum wage) to manage the front end staff AND deal with the clientele that value village attracts. All Value Village management are told they are not allowed to hand out references for ex employees, so steer clear if you're looking for a good reference. There's a sense of competition and resentment between front end staff and production staff that is not mitigated by the store managers at all. In the end, Value village is a great place to start out a career in management as they often promote from within.
Pros
Great opportunities for advancement
Cons
Stressful customers, management cant give references
This is legitimately the worst company I have yet to work for. Management is extremely disrespectful and condescending to team members, they overwork and underpay workers for their expectations, they treat workers like machines rather than people, and despite having an open door policy they refuse to listen to anyone who isn't a member of management and always end up excusing them of any reports or complaints, where as team members would be fired on the spot without a second to defend themselves or explain the situation. Management tries to hold production members accountable for their own jobs, and insinuates wrongful terminations if you speak out about their tyranny and unrealistic expectations. If I could give this company negative stars I would've. This job does nothing but damage it's workers physical and mental health, they have alright benefits, but that's just about the only thing going for them, as even to utilize your discount or to even purchase any items they must be on the sales floor for 48 hours. They also refuse to listen to your work availability and force you to work shifts even if you've communicated your situations to them.
Pros
okay benefits, 50% discount on soft goods, 30% discount on housewares
Cons
disrespectful management, little pay, overworks, unfair treatment, unsafe work conditions and work environment
in the begining was a great place to work for. very quickly you become just another employee like just a number and managemeng begins to overwork you as well as expect pretty well everything you can imagine from you with no raise in pay nor any type of recognition whatsover
Cons
long long hours, very repetitive and unfulfilling workplace
Supervisors are not treated as part of management, mostly night and weekends offering no balance for those with families. Good training program but very little room for advancement
Pros
Great Team Members
Cons
Low Pay with minimal increases that do not keep up with cost of living
Mon passage au villages des valeurs est incroyable. La relation entre employer est spécial. On se considérait comme une famille. Toujours du fun tout en gardant nos sérieux. Quelques moment désagréable, mais on oublie vite !
Pros
La relation avec les membres d'Ă©quipe et la gestion
Cons
Manque parfois d'organisation, certain superviseur paresseux
Management is awful. They don't care about how you feel. I was hired and only told after I started it was part time. I never applied for part time. I applied for full time. They told me they don't hire full time which is a lie. Would never recommend this company to anyone, ever.
Pros
Employee discount
Cons
Management, everything.
Hiring manager was rude and unprofessional with first thing said on phone being "what do you want?" in a haughty tone and a dismiss "I'm busy, call later." She also did not reply to emails. Was left on hold for over eight minutes only to be hung up on by someone who couldn't be bothered to say more than "that's not my area." Absolute waste of time. Would not recommend applying or speaking to the people who work there.
The staff definitely made it feel like home. The management on the other hand was very unstable, they constantly kept loosing good supervisors and hiring new ones. A lot of the people who end up in management realize that their just given more work for not that much of a raise.
Pros
Discounts on clothes ( I was a fashion student at the time)
Cons
No free meals on horrific sale days
working at Value Village was fun for the most part. There was a great deal of variety in the roles I had which kept it interesting. I enjoyed the interaction with the customers and learning how to manage the cash.
Team atmosphere is great. Company pushes production workers too hard but you'll enjoy it if you like goals and a fast pase. Room for advancement if your willing to learn. Positive attitude is key to dealing with the quotas and stress.
Great job, especially for as a first job for a newcomer to Canada. Management was nurturing and friendly. Team members from both production and sales were friendly, always there to help you out and give tips. Plenty of opportunities for promotion or change of hours. Overall positive experience. If it weren't for personal circumstances, I would have stayed with the company.
friendly easy to with staff members recommended workplace had a great time doing my coop placement here if I had to work here full time I definitely work take the job
It is a great time to work at Value Village, but as expected of all workplaces, there are some down sides as well. As for my job interview, I applied, went for two interviews and was hired in the span of five hours.
Very busy in the back room but it was a fun kind of challenge. There is opportunity to grow within the company if you apply yourself. They are always slightly understaffed so it is difficult to get time off.
My experience working there was very satisfactory .the managment there were great to there employees .it was very organised and I would work there again .I moved to another province so I had to give up my job
Honestly when I started at value village, I throught i struck gold with my first job, working at a thrift store i loved shopping at. My thoughts we're quickly dashed. All they cared about is Numbers, numbers, numbers and dont give a lick about you. You are treated like the stuff you sort on the table TRASH. Policies change DAILY, so if something was ok one day thatcsame thing could get you fired the next. I had safety concerns when i worked there and when i told them it was swept under the rug. Driving a forklift in a PACKED warehouse, stuff falling over, no dumpster space, trucks not showing up and people yelling at you from production for stuff constantly. I dunno maybe a cashier would be better, but avoid the "Recycler" position unless you want to have a nervous meltdown. Front store staff and alot of production staff are absolute sweethearts EXCEPT for the supervisors. They love to micro manage. AVOID THIS PLACE!
I had such a learning experience. Manager at Penticton Value Village is so fair and works right with the staff. Learned a lot about how Value Village gives back to communities.
Pros
Learning how the donations work.
Cons
LP rules
  1. Job Security & Advancement