Value Village logo
Value Village

Value Village Employee Reviews

Found 1,456 reviews matching the searchSee all 3,733 reviews

Its a good experienced for me to work on that kind of field

Like what I've said, it's a good experienced for me and also too much bosses working at Value Village, every bosses they have their own different wants and instructions.

It was extremely stressful very short-staffed and chaotic

It was absolutely insane we were really short staffed everywhere management was crazy always had someone down your back about everything and no slack whatsoever if you have bad anxiety like me don't take this job

Production

Working here is not something I would recommend. The best thing about it is the food selection on my lunch break and drive being not to far from my home. I feel like no one cares about your day and your expected to work as if the company is in your hands. It's also extremely unfair how they treat leaving on time like it is a privilege when in reality I should be able to go home exactly when I'm scheduled to everyday. Do I get paid overtime you ask? no.

Horrible unfriendly and biased staff

I worked at VV in Peterborough for over two years, and there was not a time which I enjoyed it. The environment eerily mirrored tv high school- with cliques and favorites for every manager. Value Village offers yearly raises, but that's about the only benefit to working there.

Pros

Yearly raises

Cons

Everything else about the job

Management pacifies customers over defending their cashiers

I'm a supervisor here and I think I'm one of the only ones who cares about team member morale. Upper management isn't afraid to make TMs cry, and doesn't have any consideration for their emotions ("leave it at the door" mentality) especially and including in times of crisis such as bereavement time, and harassment within the workplace. It's all allowed as long as you're making the company money, and your wage only increases by a max of 2 or 3 percent each year.

Pros

??? Lol the discount I guess

Cons

Public humiliation of TMs, HR that blames your anxiety meds and doesn't take your concerns seriously, little to no accountability for when you or someone else does something unsafe or wrong, on call system is garbage

bad place to work was there for a year and got fired for personal reasons

very bad place to work Unless you like to be put under expectations which are impossible because management only cares about quotes which they can’t receive worst

Worst place to work for

DO NOT WORK FOR THIS COMPANY!! Worst company to work for for one they don't treat you fairly unless you are a favorite meaning brown nosing the management the company doesn't have any flexibility they don't pay there employees fairly it's unfair management has no idea what they are doing except sit on there phone. Never ever do they recognize your hard work if you want to be treated unfairly then work there they are a can't fcuking siht company and don't care about there employees well being the only good thing I can say is I met my wife there other than that a extremely bad place to work for would not recommend to anyone

Pros

None don't even do anything rewarding

Cons

Poor wages, bad managers, playing favorites, very poor attitude towards employees

Good high school part time gig - full timers stay away.

Working at Value Village ain’t bad at all if you’re up front and you have a good working relationship between yourself and supervisors who are there to help whenever needed. CDC is a nightmare that continues to get worse. The CDC work is undervalued, underpaid, and the supervisors and store managers that are active in the back of the store prance around and nitpick at things as you’re trying to do your job. The work is difficult, and frankily, for minimum wage pay - its not worth it at all. If you’re at the front things are hunky dory but if you’re thinking about applying, make sure the square meters between you and the cdc department are in the hundreds.

Pros

Front end management is excellent, Front end work not difficult and the team members are quite nice.

Cons

CDC is a hellish nightmare

Horrible experience

This place is extremely unorganized and they'll make you do the job without properly training you .. I would not recommend this unless you're hurting for $$

Pros

Cons

Horrible management

High turnover, raises are minimal.

Worked there for over a year. Work was fast paced and difficult, management always expected more from us. Raises were yearly, up to 3% generally, but you rarely maxed out. When minimum wage would go up, you'd be back to making about the same as the new hires.

Pros

Discounts?

Cons

management was hard to satisfy.

Jobs at Value Village

See more jobs

Sweat shop

I worked at value village for two weeks and I had to quit immediately. I worked as a production associate where I sorted through thousands of donations. It’s a literal sweat shop. Management gives you unrealistic goals and quotas and we work ourselves to the bone and barely get any positive feedback. The job will literally kill you.

Pros

Consistent schedule, have weekends off, nice co workers

Cons

Management, toxic environment, underpaid

Great team, terrible managers.

Worst micro-managing I've experienced in my career. Salary is so low for what you are expected to do. No one they are basically handing out management roles. If you could I would recommend staying away from the Great lakes district. The district manager is either distant, or constantly in your face. Quite evident she was handed the position out of lack therefore or candidates.

Pros

The team

Cons

Long hours, managers can make or break your experince. Low pay.

great people who customers love

overall good place to work, in my opinion the pay is low for how much physical labour and exertion is required. However I would most. definitely recommend value village for somebody looking to get. into the work force or find a great group of co workers

Pros

supervisors and managment is verythoughtful and understanding

Cons

physically demanding and difficult for the pay

Deceiving

Not as great as they pretend to be. Too much work and definitely not paid for it. They will try to take advantage of you if they know they can. Says one thing but does another, very secretive.

Pros

Benefits and weekends off

Fun place to work

Everyone was so friendly and we all looked out for each other. The manager was easy to work for also. Also there is lots of room for advancement within the company

Do not waste your time working here, the only good thing about this place is the employee discount.

At Value Village, the management will treat you as less-than-human and will overwork you because they’re too lazy to do anything other than critique minimum-wage workers and lock themselves up in the office away from customers insulting workers. They will be frustrated when you ask them to do their job and will take their time before helping you and any customers. Many managers and supervisors act as if they’re in a clique and are unapproachable. They do not care if you were supposed to go for lunch 30 mins to an hour ago and will ask you to wait another 15 minutes so they can go on their break.They’re horrible at communicating with and will constantly avoid making any changes in the schedule to help employees. Even emailing them daily about time-off needed for personal reasons such as doctors appointments or mandatory events months in advance can’t assure that your requests will be met (many coworkers have told me that they weren’t able to take shifts off after the deaths of loved ones). I had a surgery and told them 2 months in advance telling them the date and the time off needed for recovery and I was schedule 2 days after my surgery. Managers will constantly complain about workers making requests for well-deserved time off.Managers will complain about the messy state of the sales floor but will do nothing to help out and will constantly complain about being understaffed but won’t hire anyone new even if there are people coming in weekly to see if they’re hiring. They will assign you to a section of a store to clean by yourself, and will constantly have you working as -

Pros

employee discount (50% off clothing, 30% off everything else), sometimes you're lucky and coworkers are nice and you become friends easily

Cons

horrible management, disrespect from managers and customers, over-worked for minimum wage, either give you too much hours or not enough

Fun and easy-to-learn environment to work in but...

Even though the coworkers were amazing, about 3 of the 5 supervisors you will encounter weren't the best. One seemed like they were in a bad mood all the time and judgemental, another not showing much excitement, and another looking energetically-drained all the time. These three definitely hindered my experience, especially the first one I mentioned. The other 2 supervisors were great! Lively, cheerful, understanding, and a pleasure to work with. The job is easy to learn. I learnt how to operate the cash register in just 2 hours and knew everything I needed. Understanding the organizing system with the clothes was also easy. And new Covid-19 front-door-greeter protocols are very basic. If there were a few tips I could give, these would be it:- Be wary of some customers. Maple Ridge is not the best in terms of the homelessness situation and Value Village attracts these people and they can be difficult sometimes. - Don't let the supervisors or especially customers make you feel down. In the end, it's a thrift store. You are doing your best and the team does appreciate your work and effort. - Make friends with some of the customers. It was a bitter-sweet moment with some of the regulars when I left- Call out mistakes by supervisors. They will sometimes forget your Lunch or Coffee breaks or forget you are working in another department. Make sure to let them know!All in all, this was a great place to get my first job experience. Most of the coworkers are great people to be with. Definitely made the day better. The supervisors can be difficult sometimes, but genuinely -

Pros

Easy to learn, fun coworkers, fast days due to busyness

Cons

Stressful management, difficult customers sometimes, sense of self-ownership

fast paced but nice to work there

merchandise bed and bath. helping with merchandising of store most of the time, Set up the bagged area . Staff were good to work with .Cashier duties and customer service. enjoyed working with customers.

Pros

good work place and had free lunches once a month

Cons

sometimes very cold when working in the back room

Such a great place to work

I have learned so much while working at Value Village. It has been such a great experience! The interview process was so fun. Overall there is a lot of things that you need to learn in order to work without stress in this work environment, but it is so great.

If you like to be treated and work like a slave then work here.

Blind leading the blind is their training method here when you work in this place. You have a laziest managers and supervisors that pretends to know everything. All they care about is you reaching your job quota and sales so they get their bonuses. Also, managers and supervisors pays favouritism when it comes to staff and who gets higher hourly pays.. Most employees who has been there for over two years still gets minimum wage. If you do get a little pay raise, manager will talk to you not to say anything to others. Also, management don't trust their employess and question them when they call in sick. Seriously, do work here and see what I'm talking about.

Pros

Free lunches sometimes and staff discount

Cons

Too many to list but basically they will treat you like a slave period unless they like you.

Do not apply!!!

Terrible management. Zero respect, yet they don’t like it when you defend yourself or others. Harassment at its finest even if you email HR, they won’t get back to you. 9/10 staff members are more like family They do not care if customers treat you poorly

Pros

Discounts and frequent customers

Cons

Management refuse to be retrained

2.9Job security/advancement