Value Village
Savers/Value Village

Value Village Employee Reviews

Found 1,443 reviews matching the search
Even though the coworkers were amazing, about 3 of the 5 supervisors you will encounter weren't the best. One seemed like they were in a bad mood all the time and judgemental, another not showing much excitement, and another looking energetically-drained all the time. These three definitely hindered my experience, especially the first one I mentioned. The other 2 supervisors were great! Lively, cheerful, understanding, and a pleasure to work with. The job is easy to learn. I learnt how to operate the cash register in just 2 hours and knew everything I needed. Understanding the organizing system with the clothes was also easy. And new Covid-19 front-door-greeter protocols are very basic. If there were a few tips I could give, these would be it:- Be wary of some customers. Maple Ridge is not the best in terms of the homelessness situation and Value Village attracts these people and they can be difficult sometimes. - Don't let the supervisors or especially customers make you feel down. In the end, it's a thrift store. You are doing your best and the team does appreciate your work and effort. - Make friends with some of the customers. It was a bitter-sweet moment with some of the regulars when I left- Call out mistakes by supervisors. They will sometimes forget your Lunch or Coffee breaks or forget you are working in another department. Make sure to let them know!All in all, this was a great place to get my first job experience. Most of the coworkers are great people to be with. Definitely made the day better. The supervisors can be difficult sometimes, but genuinely - more...
Pros
Easy to learn, fun coworkers, fast days due to busyness
Cons
Stressful management, difficult customers sometimes, sense of self-ownership
Everyone was so friendly and we all looked out for each other. The manager was easy to work for also. Also there is lots of room for advancement within the company
At Value Village, the management will treat you as less-than-human and will overwork you because they’re too lazy to do anything other than critique minimum-wage workers and lock themselves up in the office away from customers insulting workers. They will be frustrated when you ask them to do their job and will take their time before helping you and any customers. Many managers and supervisors act as if they’re in a clique and are unapproachable. They do not care if you were supposed to go for lunch 30 mins to an hour ago and will ask you to wait another 15 minutes so they can go on their break.They’re horrible at communicating with and will constantly avoid making any changes in the schedule to help employees. Even emailing them daily about time-off needed for personal reasons such as doctors appointments or mandatory events months in advance can’t assure that your requests will be met (many coworkers have told me that they weren’t able to take shifts off after the deaths of loved ones). I had a surgery and told them 2 months in advance telling them the date and the time off needed for recovery and I was schedule 2 days after my surgery. Managers will constantly complain about workers making requests for well-deserved time off.Managers will complain about the messy state of the sales floor but will do nothing to help out and will constantly complain about being understaffed but won’t hire anyone new even if there are people coming in weekly to see if they’re hiring. They will assign you to a section of a store to clean by yourself, and will constantly have you working as - more...
Pros
employee discount (50% off clothing, 30% off everything else), sometimes you're lucky and coworkers are nice and you become friends easily
Cons
horrible management, disrespect from managers and customers, over-worked for minimum wage, either give you too much hours or not enough
merchandise bed and bath. helping with merchandising of store most of the time, Set up the bagged area . Staff were good to work with .Cashier duties and customer service. enjoyed working with customers.
Pros
good work place and had free lunches once a month
Cons
sometimes very cold when working in the back room
I have learned so much while working at Value Village. It has been such a great experience! The interview process was so fun. Overall there is a lot of things that you need to learn in order to work without stress in this work environment, but it is so great.
Blind leading the blind is their training method here when you work in this place. You have a laziest managers and supervisors that pretends to know everything. All they care about is you reaching your job quota and sales so they get their bonuses. Also, managers and supervisors pays favouritism when it comes to staff and who gets higher hourly pays.. Most employees who has been there for over two years still gets minimum wage. If you do get a little pay raise, manager will talk to you not to say anything to others. Also, management don't trust their employess and question them when they call in sick. Seriously, do work here and see what I'm talking about.
Pros
Free lunches sometimes and staff discount
Cons
Too many to list but basically they will treat you like a slave period unless they like you.
Terrible management. Zero respect, yet they don’t like it when you defend yourself or others. Harassment at its finest even if you email HR, they won’t get back to you. 9/10 staff members are more like family They do not care if customers treat you poorly
Pros
Discounts and frequent customers
Cons
Management refuse to be retrained
Team is very nice to work with, Employees are warm . Company provides accommodation to employee if needed. Highly effective team work. Easy to go team .
Pros
Free lunches, parties and christmas gift cards
If you want an environment full of toxic people who treat you like garbage this is the job for you! Why?...- Overworking staff- Drama like you're in middle school- made me clean toilets without any PPE even tho I asked several times.- manipulative management- They don't take employee concerns seriously- many times they either don't give you your break or delay it longer than they schedule you for- treat younger staff with disrespect
Pros
50% off used clothing
Cons
Everything else
They work you to the bone and for little pay. If you work the donation drive through, get ready to sweat and be expected to keep it clean and tidy with little to no help. Working the tables in the back is hard and kinda gross. You sort through random bags and they time you to sort as fast as possible. The managers don't help, they walk behind you and tell you too go faster cause all they want is sales. And they price donated items way to high.
Pros
Health benefits
Cons
Pay
I started working here since 2017, I have no problem to my co-workers and supervisor, they’re sooooo nice and helpful. But the store manager is really strict when it comes to work well i understand him but the thing is he make his own rules in the store that’s why it’s more confusing. He always check camera’s in the office so he can see a lot of team member who’s truly responsible. The only thing I don’t want with him is the way he talked behind’s back, he doesn’t direct you the problem. Been working here almost 3 years but I haven’t receive salary up ... I mean it’s only increasing cents .. also if you don’t have patient to other this is not for youu..
Pros
Long hours, fun workplace
Cons
No salary increase, rude customers, too many rules for employees
Location was awesome .. bus and walking .. however workin production sucked .. mean people and favortism on so many levels .. l was trained by another person from edmonton n what l was later told is l was doin everything wrong .. they expect u to do more than u can in a day n then give u shot cuz THEY sent production home early n after u ask to stay so u can finish .. they give u heck cuz u didnt finish processing ..
Pros
Close location hours
Cons
Mean supervisors .. ALOT of favoritism .. over worked under appreciated
I was at Value Village long enough to earn a promotion. The job itself is fine customer service and clean up after customers. The supervisors are not paid nearly enough (a couple dollars over minimum wage) to manage the front end staff AND deal with the clientele that value village attracts. All Value Village management are told they are not allowed to hand out references for ex employees, so steer clear if you're looking for a good reference. There's a sense of competition and resentment between front end staff and production staff that is not mitigated by the store managers at all. In the end, Value village is a great place to start out a career in management as they often promote from within.
Pros
Great opportunities for advancement
Cons
Stressful customers, management cant give references
My coworkers were the best, and the benefits were great! Unfortunately, as a cashier I had to perform tasks such as working in the community donation center because they were heavily understaffed for months, as well as working in production for my last few weeks. They claimed I (and other fellow cashiers) had to work in production because cashiers asking for more hours during spring break, so we were sent to work in production. What didn't make sense is that then they purposely understaffed cashiers - making it constantly busy at the tills - to increase productivity, leaving the store a mess the entire day while cashiers who could help had to stay in production...
Pros
Friendly coworkers and great benefits, helping the environment
Cons
Management makes bad decisions, unfair work
Value Village on Ottawa Street is a horrible place to work. Management does not care about the well-being or safety of their employees. Staff are overworked for minimum wage. The store manager only cares about money. She consistently blamed young woman for comments male customers would make towards them when they uncomfortable. Nor did she care about the safety of her staff during a pandemic.Overall, stay away.
I was here for a few years. Lots and lots of favoritism throughout the entire store. If you work hard you get dumped on. I was spoken to unprofessionally by managers many times throughout my job at Value Village. Including when I quit. In fact I was laughed at. There are no boundaries. I do not recommend working here.
Pros
coworkers are lovely, employee discount
Cons
treated unfairly, behind-back talking, short hours
This is legitimately the worst company I have yet to work for. Management is extremely disrespectful and condescending to team members, they overwork and underpay workers for their expectations, they treat workers like machines rather than people, and despite having an open door policy they refuse to listen to anyone who isn't a member of management and always end up excusing them of any reports or complaints, where as team members would be fired on the spot without a second to defend themselves or explain the situation. Management tries to hold production members accountable for their own jobs, and insinuates wrongful terminations if you speak out about their tyranny and unrealistic expectations. If I could give this company negative stars I would've. This job does nothing but damage it's workers physical and mental health, they have alright benefits, but that's just about the only thing going for them, as even to utilize your discount or to even purchase any items they must be on the sales floor for 48 hours. They also refuse to listen to your work availability and force you to work shifts even if you've communicated your situations to them.
Pros
okay benefits, 50% discount on soft goods, 30% discount on housewares
Cons
disrespectful management, little pay, overworks, unfair treatment, unsafe work conditions and work environment
most people are very fun and good to work with. they can balance working and also having fun with their jobs or designated task. most employees works there for more than 5 yrs and more.
benefits
Easy work all across the board. Excellent work hours. Good supervisors and mod's. There is no Hassel. You have to be strong to work. Very good schedule.
Pros
Some times free lunch
Cons
Not very clean.
This was probably my favorite job I've had just based on the coworkers I had. I also had a pretty odd availability and they were mostly forgiving due to the fact that they always had some form of coverage.
The coworkers and sometimes customers made this job really awesome. The workers feel like one big (dysfunctional) family and you’re all in the same predicament of not getting enough hours, pay or being treated like machines and not humans. So it’s a lot of slaving away for little money but you get to do it with some seriously amazing people. It can be really fun and the customers come from all walks of life and are interesting to interact with! The older people in the company are most respected and typically are allowed to work at a slower pace but the young ones gotta do some back breaking work. The pay is really sad for the amount of work you do. Clean up at the end of the shift can be gruelling! The dress code allows for personal expression, and sometimes there’s cake for birthdays. Work life balance is there, but it also means you’re making 600$ a month...
Pros
Coworkers, Halloween
Cons
Stressful, difficult customers, small shifts at low pay
  1. Employee reviews