Value Village
Savers/Value Village

Value Village Employee Reviews for Sorter

I liked working there but I definitely don’t think workers are getting paid nearly enough for the amount of time and energy we put into work. Hard job
Pros
Schedule flexibility
Cons
If you work in the back it's dirty, back breaking work. It will do a number on your body. You are always sick due to tge disgusting things that come in donation bags. Management is terrible and has little to no control over the staff. I was injured on the job due to management cutting saftey corners and the company treated me terribly while I tried to heal from the injury they caused.
Cons
Dirty, poor management, bad environment
Upper management is the reason all the negative ratings are the same. Even though their from people all over Canada. If they cared about the general staff, so would the lower management. It all trickles down. You eventually will feel what it means to be exploited. You forget you are doing a job and expect payment in return. They will soon make you feel you owe them.
Pros
You will learn to know how you don't want to be treated.
Cons
Supervisors are encouraged to stand behind you, while working to intimidate employees to work faster.
For the most part VV was a good place to work, except for management. Production manager playing favorites and demanding the near impossible unless you were one of the favorites, then reprimanding you if you "failed to achieve."
Demanding physical job but staff is friendly and supportive. Need to be able to stand for most of the time with 2 15 minute breaks and a 30 minute lunch break when working in the production area.
Very poor management combined with a hostile work environment make Value Village an extremely bad place to work. If you get an offer anywhere else, take it.
This was honestly the most physically and mentally draining job I have ever had. I would not recommend this job to anyone with preexisting medical problems such as anxiety or depression.
Bad management. More cameras watching employees, instead of on customers. Expensive products I.e. Royal Dalton figurines, Louis Vatan purses etc. NEVER made it out to the floor for customers, as the Management would take first. Lots of clothes & textiles hidden by employees.
It is a very demanding job, but I did learn a lot from co-workers and the management team was not the best at the time, but that has changed now. I do believe it is a good place to work with the new management. It's nice when you can help the customers and chat with them a little.
Had group meetings every morning with our coffees. Felt like working with a huge family. Always had a smile on my face and had fun working and interacting with customers.
great people to work for. kind and considerate and enthusiastic. very relaxed yet professional in every way. learned how to take phone calls and book training as well as work for their other owned company H.O. Wipers cutting clothing into rags for industrial purposes.
Pros
very friendly people
Was a merch sorter so I was mainly at the back going through donated goods and getting rid of "junk" (literally some people used to just give rubbish? very sad!) Pretty awesome job if you like going through mystery bags and finding interesting / cool things to sell. Quite demanding on hands (I ended up getting mild RSI but nothing to complain about) and on your feet all day so you need to be relatively fit for this job. Everyone that worked here were down to earth and friendly and management were great, couldn't say anything bad about them. Sometimes we even got free pizza lunches and breakfasts too, this was awesome! Shame I had to leave due to starting full time education.
Absolutely the worst place to work. Rude and abusive management. Management screams at workers and are derogatory. This is not how people should be treated at a workplace.
Pros
Cons
Abusive management
very fast paced and always trying to improve there numbers, its all about the production and how much they can get out in a day! if you are a very fast paced worker and don't mind mold and fleas then it is great!
Pros
good group of people
Cons
dirty
The managers at this location are very incompetent and have an attitude problem. Hours get cut constantly and people are constantly quitting. Very miserable place to work.
I really did not enjoy working there at all. I found out my dad was passing away and i felt that they did not care at all. I was really hurt that the manger did not take the time to care.
Pros
I liked the people i work with.
Cons
I did not care for the manager.
helping people find what they are looking for and giving them advice on other products that would go good with the other merchadise they were purchasing
Was hard satisfying work, Mostly enjoyable co-workers. Management was shoddy and overly demanding. I learned not to trust management in this company. I did enjoy the work I was doing. Finding treasures can be fun and rewarding
Pros
Decent hours...enjoyable co-workers
Cons
Shoddily managed
It was a lot of standing, the sorting stations are organized so that much movement is unnecessary. Some donations were just garbage or had sharp/broken edges. There were nice people to work with.
I always enjoyed coming in to work every morning, it never felt like a job to me. I loved how I was able to make my ow changes to the way things were done, and leave my mark on the company.
they have unreasonable speed expectations if you are in production. very dirty place to work, you are often given household garbage because the Canadian diabetes association don't check the bags before picking them up from the curb.
Pros
cake day