Value Village
Savers/Value Village

Value Village Employee Reviews for Sales Clerk

Even though the coworkers were amazing, about 3 of the 5 supervisors you will encounter weren't the best. One seemed like they were in a bad mood all the time and judgemental, another not showing much excitement, and another looking energetically-drained all the time. These three definitely hindered my experience, especially the first one I mentioned. The other 2 supervisors were great! Lively, cheerful, understanding, and a pleasure to work with. The job is easy to learn. I learnt how to operate the cash register in just 2 hours and knew everything I needed. Understanding the organizing system with the clothes was also easy. And new Covid-19 front-door-greeter protocols are very basic. If there were a few tips I could give, these would be it:- Be wary of some customers. Maple Ridge is not the best in terms of the homelessness situation and Value Village attracts these people and they can be difficult sometimes. - Don't let the supervisors or especially customers make you feel down. In the end, it's a thrift store. You are doing your best and the team does appreciate your work and effort. - Make friends with some of the customers. It was a bitter-sweet moment with some of the regulars when I left- Call out mistakes by supervisors. They will sometimes forget your Lunch or Coffee breaks or forget you are working in another department. Make sure to let them know!All in all, this was a great place to get my first job experience. Most of the coworkers are great people to be with. Definitely made the day better. The supervisors can be difficult sometimes, but genuinely - more...
Pros
Easy to learn, fun coworkers, fast days due to busyness
Cons
Stressful management, difficult customers sometimes, sense of self-ownership
At Value Village, the management will treat you as less-than-human and will overwork you because they’re too lazy to do anything other than critique minimum-wage workers and lock themselves up in the office away from customers insulting workers. They will be frustrated when you ask them to do their job and will take their time before helping you and any customers. Many managers and supervisors act as if they’re in a clique and are unapproachable. They do not care if you were supposed to go for lunch 30 mins to an hour ago and will ask you to wait another 15 minutes so they can go on their break.They’re horrible at communicating with and will constantly avoid making any changes in the schedule to help employees. Even emailing them daily about time-off needed for personal reasons such as doctors appointments or mandatory events months in advance can’t assure that your requests will be met (many coworkers have told me that they weren’t able to take shifts off after the deaths of loved ones). I had a surgery and told them 2 months in advance telling them the date and the time off needed for recovery and I was schedule 2 days after my surgery. Managers will constantly complain about workers making requests for well-deserved time off.Managers will complain about the messy state of the sales floor but will do nothing to help out and will constantly complain about being understaffed but won’t hire anyone new even if there are people coming in weekly to see if they’re hiring. They will assign you to a section of a store to clean by yourself, and will constantly have you working as - more...
Pros
employee discount (50% off clothing, 30% off everything else), sometimes you're lucky and coworkers are nice and you become friends easily
Cons
horrible management, disrespect from managers and customers, over-worked for minimum wage, either give you too much hours or not enough
I have learned so much while working at Value Village. It has been such a great experience! The interview process was so fun. Overall there is a lot of things that you need to learn in order to work without stress in this work environment, but it is so great.
Everyone hates working there, which makes you hate being there. A lot of people slack off, so if you are a hard worker, you end up having to pick up other people's jobs. People call in sick almost every shift and puts everyone in a bad position and mood
Great job, especially for as a first job for a newcomer to Canada. Management was nurturing and friendly. Team members from both production and sales were friendly, always there to help you out and give tips. Plenty of opportunities for promotion or change of hours. Overall positive experience. If it weren't for personal circumstances, I would have stayed with the company.
I really loved working for Value Village, because it was the first time I ever really felt supported by my supervisors and colleges. Everyone is friends with everyone.
Great place for Team building skills. Fun and collaborative work environment. enjoyed working here because get to meet new faces everyday. Management team super friendly and helpful.
Nice pay, coworkers are friendly, won't be a day where you won't laugh once. You get great benefits and there is always work to do whether working at the front or the back
Pros
Benefits, discounts, fast paced, always work to do
Cons
In winter you have to do a cart run around the mall and it gets cold
I think as a beginner, its really fun to work with. you'll learn different things in the store. Can add experience especially in dealing with customers and other people.
Job was fast paced and I was made to do things under lots of pressure and time restraints if you dont abide by those rules then you are criticized not enough shifts or hours given for workers also the location was not in a pleasurable place the only good thing about it was that when we made sales we got free meals from swiss chalet or got a pizza lunch and when it was employees birthday they would give the staff bday cake that we could have to eat cleaning up took long and we had to stay for hours behind to clean which made us have to leave work later than expected we also didnt get enough time to learn things
this job is very repetitive I worked here for over a year and I got tired there pay raise is horrible and I had to literally wait until minimum wage to get pay raise and it still isn't enough. they aren't happy to switch and change or fix your days for you. very annoying, don't apply here.
Challenging job could be different daily, dealing different kinds of people. I have learned more handling cash and maintain the total until end of the shift. Dynamic, fun and busy workplace. The hardest part were closing shift needed to clean up all the messed. Put everything back where supposed to be. Most enjoyable part was cashiering and using the pager to call co-worker to open other cashier or calling help to a supervisor.
I enjoyed working at Value Village. There were moments when the job did become stressful, as we were always understaffed. There were times I had to take multiple shifts and work long hours, due to the lack of commitment others had to the company. However, I met great people and overall has a good experience.
I am good with working with customers and assisting them when they want to purchase any items. I have gained great experience at working with money and dealing with customers in a respectful way at the workplace.
Management they are do discrimination with brown people .value village have some time less staff but they take too much work from rest of employees.
First they will make it really hard for you to start. After, they will give you a detailed training. And when you finally start to work, they will make sure to change your opinion right in the beginning. Disorganized and biased management, dirty work environment and horrible working hours.
Managers need to be trained better. Everyone has a negative attitude, the only way you will make it working at this company is if you become friends with the 4 people who are not horrible. Managers have a horrible attitude everyone talks about each other. Overall you don't feel like your job is a safe place.
Work in value village is fun, I like it. And the team members are so positive.some times it is supper busy, but it's okay. Occasionally, the management is not fair.and I love our customers.
Pros
50% off for clothes and 30% off for house ware items
Cons
Sometimes the managements are not fair.
What I love most about working here is that everyone is so friendly and there absolutely no drama or animosity between anyone! The work itself is rarely stressful and it's overall a great place to work!
Working at Value Village was not the best experience for me personally. It was not the kind of job I would recommend if you are looking for a smaller location with a lot of organization.
Great place to work if you're a student/entry level. There are many days where it's fast-paced however, it's a fun and overall relaxing place to work.