Value Village

Sales Clerk73 reviews
Canada73 reviews

Found 73 reviews matching the searchSee all 4,030 reviews
donationhalloweenquotaitemstoresaverproductionclothing

Productive and Fun workplace however management isn’t the best.

Worked at value village for just over a year and I made great friends but the management is just a mess. It taught me cashier work/working well with money.

It is a good job if you want to just get by

While I appreciate the team that I worked with, it was not the best place. There were new rules every 2 days and not enough people to take care of the shifts so those that came to work were overworked

Insights into Value Village

Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Energizing work tasks

Horribly stressful; abusive managers

The sales floor managers except maybe 1, yelled at staff constantly, treated staff like dirt. I saw two people quit within their first day of working because of this. Crying in the washroom. Very poor communication within the department I was in. Awful place to work.

Okay job, co-workers made it worth staying for as long as I did

Management will pick favourites, and it is very obvious. There was a poor work-life balance and oftentimes, I was scheduled on days I booked off weeks in advance. The only thing that kept me there was my co-workers which were all awesome, and there were a couple nice supervisors there too.

Pros

-nice chill coworkers -50% discount -some of the regular customers were pretty cool

Cons

-mostly everything else lol

Coworkers are awesome the rest is a no

The people who work here are generally really nice and my managers are really doing there best. Other than that the people who shop here are often on drugs and you need to be able handle situations with shoplifting and even the police. The overall management sucks and will mix up shifts and punish people for their own mistakes. They also pay even the managers a horrible wage. Its honestly almost criminal. The plus is u get 50 off on most things in the store. If u wanna make miniumum wage and replenish your wardrobe and maybe get some new decor then work here.

Pros

50 percent off certian items and nice coworkers

Cons

Long hours, bosses suck at scheduling, minimum wage

Wasn't ideal to say the least

Management was awful. No communication between different compartments. Some managers were quite rude.They really strive for you to be doing something the entire time you're on duty, even if there is nothing to do. It was really fun walking around a huge store for hours at a time picking clothes off the ground occasionally.

Pros

50% discount at store

Cons

Poor managment

Horrible unfriendly and biased staff

I worked at VV in Peterborough for over two years, and there was not a time which I enjoyed it. The environment eerily mirrored tv high school- with cliques and favorites for every manager. Value Village offers yearly raises, but that's about the only benefit to working there.

Pros

Yearly raises

Cons

Everything else about the job

Do not waste your time working here, the only good thing about this place is the employee discount.

At Value Village, the management will treat you as less-than-human and will overwork you because they’re too lazy to do anything other than critique minimum-wage workers and lock themselves up in the office away from customers insulting workers. They will be frustrated when you ask them to do their job and will take their time before helping you and any customers. Many managers and supervisors act as if they’re in a clique and are unapproachable. They do not care if you were supposed to go for lunch 30 mins to an hour ago and will ask you to wait another 15 minutes so they can go on their break.They’re horrible at communicating with and will constantly avoid making any changes in the schedule to help employees. Even emailing them daily about time-off needed for personal reasons such as doctors appointments or mandatory events months in advance can’t assure that your requests will be met (many coworkers have told me that they weren’t able to take shifts off after the deaths of loved ones). I had a surgery and told them 2 months in advance telling them the date and the time off needed for recovery and I was schedule 2 days after my surgery. Managers will constantly complain about workers making requests for well-deserved time off.Managers will complain about the messy state of the sales floor but will do nothing to help out and will constantly complain about being understaffed but won’t hire anyone new even if there are people coming in weekly to see if they’re hiring. They will assign you to a section of a store to clean by yourself, and will constantly have you working as -

Pros

employee discount (50% off clothing, 30% off everything else), sometimes you're lucky and coworkers are nice and you become friends easily

Cons

horrible management, disrespect from managers and customers, over-worked for minimum wage, either give you too much hours or not enough

Fun and easy-to-learn environment to work in but...

Even though the coworkers were amazing, about 3 of the 5 supervisors you will encounter weren't the best. One seemed like they were in a bad mood all the time and judgemental, another not showing much excitement, and another looking energetically-drained all the time. These three definitely hindered my experience, especially the first one I mentioned. The other 2 supervisors were great! Lively, cheerful, understanding, and a pleasure to work with. The job is easy to learn. I learnt how to operate the cash register in just 2 hours and knew everything I needed. Understanding the organizing system with the clothes was also easy. And new Covid-19 front-door-greeter protocols are very basic. If there were a few tips I could give, these would be it:- Be wary of some customers. Maple Ridge is not the best in terms of the homelessness situation and Value Village attracts these people and they can be difficult sometimes. - Don't let the supervisors or especially customers make you feel down. In the end, it's a thrift store. You are doing your best and the team does appreciate your work and effort. - Make friends with some of the customers. It was a bitter-sweet moment with some of the regulars when I left- Call out mistakes by supervisors. They will sometimes forget your Lunch or Coffee breaks or forget you are working in another department. Make sure to let them know!All in all, this was a great place to get my first job experience. Most of the coworkers are great people to be with. Definitely made the day better. The supervisors can be difficult sometimes, but genuinely -

Pros

Easy to learn, fun coworkers, fast days due to busyness

Cons

Stressful management, difficult customers sometimes, sense of self-ownership

Such a great place to work

I have learned so much while working at Value Village. It has been such a great experience! The interview process was so fun. Overall there is a lot of things that you need to learn in order to work without stress in this work environment, but it is so great.

Poor job culture

Everyone hates working there, which makes you hate being there. A lot of people slack off, so if you are a hard worker, you end up having to pick up other people's jobs. People call in sick almost every shift and puts everyone in a bad position and mood

Wonderful place to work at. Good management

Great job, especially for as a first job for a newcomer to Canada. Management was nurturing and friendly. Team members from both production and sales were friendly, always there to help you out and give tips. Plenty of opportunities for promotion or change of hours. Overall positive experience. If it weren't for personal circumstances, I would have stayed with the company.

Best job I had growing up!

I really loved working for Value Village, because it was the first time I ever really felt supported by my supervisors and colleges. Everyone is friends with everyone.

great team to work with

Great place for Team building skills. Fun and collaborative work environment. enjoyed working here because get to meet new faces everyday. Management team super friendly and helpful.

Good work

Nice pay, coworkers are friendly, won't be a day where you won't laugh once. You get great benefits and there is always work to do whether working at the front or the back

Pros

Benefits, discounts, fast paced, always work to do

Cons

In winter you have to do a cart run around the mall and it gets cold

Good to work with.

I think as a beginner, its really fun to work with. you'll learn different things in the store. Can add experience especially in dealing with customers and other people.

Not great

Job was fast paced and I was made to do things under lots of pressure and time restraints if you dont abide by those rules then you are criticized not enough shifts or hours given for workers also the location was not in a pleasurable place the only good thing about it was that when we made sales we got free meals from swiss chalet or got a pizza lunch and when it was employees birthday they would give the staff bday cake that we could have to eat cleaning up took long and we had to stay for hours behind to clean which made us have to leave work later than expected we also didnt get enough time to learn things

Boring, repetitive

this job is very repetitive I worked here for over a year and I got tired there pay raise is horrible and I had to literally wait until minimum wage to get pay raise and it still isn't enough. they aren't happy to switch and change or fix your days for you. very annoying, don't apply here.

Enjoyable place to work, has lots of space to make yourself busy.

Challenging job could be different daily, dealing different kinds of people. I have learned more handling cash and maintain the total until end of the shift. Dynamic, fun and busy workplace. The hardest part were closing shift needed to clean up all the messed. Put everything back where supposed to be. Most enjoyable part was cashiering and using the pager to call co-worker to open other cashier or calling help to a supervisor.

Value Village

I enjoyed working at Value Village. There were moments when the job did become stressful, as we were always understaffed. There were times I had to take multiple shifts and work long hours, due to the lack of commitment others had to the company. However, I met great people and overall has a good experience.

Helping Customer

I am good with working with customers and assisting them when they want to purchase any items. I have gained great experience at working with money and dealing with customers in a respectful way at the workplace.

2.8 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement