Value Village

Canada102 reviews

Found 102 reviews matching the searchSee all 4,030 reviews
donationhalloweenquotaitemstoresaverproductionclothing

Stressful

Management was a little stressful and they were very demanding sometimes. Hours were quite a lot for a part time employee at almost 35 hours every week plus on calls that you were required to have even though you weren't told about them in the beginning. Most coworkers were quite nice but there were some two faced people. The customers were the least favourite part of the job as most of them would complain continuously about pricing and many people would try and steal. Still overall wasn't a bad place, i enjoyed my time when i was on cash beside coworkers or when i could talk and engage with customers at showcase and on the sales floor. Best part about it was the amazing discount you got as an employee

Pros

paid 15 minute breaks, amazing discount, nice breakroom

Cons

many hours, hard to get days off, demanding customers

Bad bad bad

Very bad place bad just do not work here. Very bad management and very poor work environment. This place feels like school it is terrible and I do not recommend

Insights into Value Village

Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Energizing work tasks

Don’t work here save yourself the headache

Working at value village was the worst decision I made. The manager is horrible and the tasks you do are not outlined in the description or talked about in your interview. I love the team members I work with. They’re great people and the bonds I have with them will definitely stick even after we all quit. They really feel like some of your best friends. Everyone is so easy to get along with and you make friends fast. Supervisors are good for the most part. Some will be your best friends and others you absolutely hate. Telling them anything will almost instantly go back to management who will then “talk” to you and make you feel incompetent. You definitely have to figure out who to trust and even then be careful about what you say. Management is absolutely horrible. I find that there’s no empathy and they expect you to give your life to the company. If you call in sick they make you feel horrible about it and if there’s a family emergency then they still expect you to come in and they won’t let you leave early even when you need to. Requests for time off is almost never approved and they strongly play favourites. If your not a favourite of management or the supervisors they pick on you and make a good day horrible. They threaten to write you up if you call in sick or tell them you can’t come in because of family problems and they don’t care about your mental health. The company covers counselling which I think is great but I also think the only reason they do that is because they’re the reason you need it. Customers can be pretty rude to you, I’ve gotten yelled at so -

A lot of work for minimum wage

I’ve been a part time employee for 6 years and am finally leaving the company to start my career. Overall working here is way too much work for minimum wage. You do 10 different jobs with little to no appreciation. The store is huge and always a mess. The mess is left for the closing staff to deal with while the day staff are short handed and can barely cash out or assist customers. Scheduling system is so old school as you’ll have to write in a book to take time off and you don’t know if you get it until your schedule comes out. The team is nice and kind but thats not enough to have people stay. The turn over is very high so you’ll have to help train new staff that constantly come in. The paid vacation and holiday pay and float day pay are great perks. I’d say they are also very flexible with scheduling.

Some days are okay but usually not the best place to work

Working here is definitely an experience. You are really tested when it comes to customer service and just professionalism as a whole. Management and supervisors definitely needs to improve. As a team member you are talked down to and sometimes blamed for things that were not your fault. Favouritism is extremely high (if you aren’t a favourite… good luck). When you call in sick or request time off it is usually held against you. You are guilt tripped into picking up other shifts and a time off requests are often denied (without being told). I could go on but let’s get to the positives. The team members are amazing people. They are easy to get along with and make wonderful friends. You will make friendships that last. The discount is pretty good.If you show that you care about the job and want to further your knowledge, they provide tasks to move you up in the ranks. Overall, value village isn’t somewhere I would recommend someone working at; especially if it’s your first retail job. It isn’t for the light hearted.

Pros

team members are lovely, the discount.

Cons

Management(and supervisors) can be rough sometimes, customers are quite rude, are expected to do stuff outside of your job title.

Negative work environment and terrible management.

I had an extremely bad experience working here and didn't stay for long. Terrible management that had no respect for personal life which made employees miserable and mean. Expected to complete ridiculous and unachievable quotas daily and treated badly if you didnt.

Pros

Cons

Management, work life balance, unachievable goals

Meh

It was okay, people working with me were wonderful and the discount was definitely great but upper management needs a reality check. The workers need to be paid a living wage.

My first job at 16, I really enjoyed it

Loved the coworkers I worked with; they were either my age or early 20s in university; very down to earth people, we engaged in team work and actually hung out outside of work. The management was also fair other than one woman. Very sweet people & I worked a lot that summer saved up 3k, gave me plenty of hours :)

Was great , not anymore

The Chatham value village was a lovely and warm work environment with amazing coworkers you can really bond with! Was. We got a new manager and he doesn’t care about the employees as much as our old manager did and isn’t too pleasant to work with. Very sad and upset about the changes in the store and team, I don’t reccomend working there anymore only because of that.

difficult management but great coworkers

management likes to micro manage you and hours are never stable, however the coworkers are really nice, it is fun to work with them. There's no room for advancement.

Pros

friendly coworkers

Cons

management

Typical Retail Environment

Pretty normal for a retail job. Production in the back was much better for balancing work/life, because the hours are fixed and you got weekends off. Most of the managers were understanding, but some of the upper management hadn't been on the floor recently enough to know what was going on, sometimes the quotas were ridiculous. Theres a high turnover, so if you stick around there's definitely opportunity to move up into higher roles. There was quite a bit of drama between cashiers, but not so much in the back. They were decently accommodating with hours and time off.

Typical Retail Job

flexible shifts, able to call in when needed and easy to find replacement for shifts since workplace environment was very friendly. Somewhat strict on dress code, no leggings, no jeans with rips. On the sales floor, you are standing 100% of the time so it can get tiring sometimes.

Busy and on the go

The most difficult time getting an interview. I applied three times. Co workers taught me a lot. Respectful and safe environment. Organized and clean. Team work is amazing. Always at work bettering for employees and customers. Dedication and hard work most appreciated.

Pros

Team work

Cons

Competition

Do not apply!!!

Terrible management. Zero respect, yet they don’t like it when you defend yourself or others. Harassment at its finest even if you email HR, they won’t get back to you. 9/10 staff members are more like family They do not care if customers treat you poorly

Pros

Discounts and frequent customers

Cons

Management refuse to be retrained

Fun work place

I started working here since 2017, I have no problem to my co-workers and supervisor, they’re sooooo nice and helpful. But the store manager is really strict when it comes to work well i understand him but the thing is he make his own rules in the store that’s why it’s more confusing. He always check camera’s in the office so he can see a lot of team member who’s truly responsible. The only thing I don’t want with him is the way he talked behind’s back, he doesn’t direct you the problem. Been working here almost 3 years but I haven’t receive salary up ... I mean it’s only increasing cents .. also if you don’t have patient to other this is not for youu..

Pros

Long hours, fun workplace

Cons

No salary increase, rude customers, too many rules for employees

Terrible Company

I had such a bad experience working here. The environment is stressful and all your coworkers make you feel bad about being stressed and will be rude to each other instead of helping each other out. Managers would toy with my anxiety and single me out for no reason. At one point while closing, a manager told other workers not to help and get their things while I was stuck doing a very long task by myself the entire time. Eventually telling me stop because it wasn’t going to get done without help, and I clocked out. I had such a bad panic attack that night. Only a few coworkers we’re actually nice and hated it there just as much. I think I only had one nice manager my entire time being there. Very stressful, unwelcoming, and unkind work environment.

Pros

None, don’t work here.

Cons

Everything, management, co workers, environment.

sotre manager was hard to work with, bu my supervisors were nice

Personally, I liked working there because of some of the benefits and I thrift often so it was kinda a win-win situation, however, if you're not into it it's hard to stay. the managers are often accommodating and easy to work with however some choices made by the store manager are rather questionable and tend to put a strain on staff members.

Pros

discounts

Management is useless

Management is awful. They don't care about how you feel. I was hired and only told after I started it was part time. I never applied for part time. I applied for full time. They told me they don't hire full time which is a lie. Would never recommend this company to anyone, ever.

Pros

Employee discount

Cons

Management, everything.

Great Part Time Job

fun place to work with plenty of interesting people and staff, scheduling can be really tight at times but overall I would really recommend them! Make sure you know what you'll be doing, I have been moved over from a cashier to a cleaner which wasn't what I was expecting upon return to work.

Pros

Great Work environment, understanding managers, fun place to work

Cons

tight scheduling

Great people to work with

The staff definitely made it feel like home. The management on the other hand was very unstable, they constantly kept loosing good supervisors and hiring new ones. A lot of the people who end up in management realize that their just given more work for not that much of a raise.

Pros

Discounts on clothes ( I was a fashion student at the time)

Cons

No free meals on horrific sale days

Enjoyable community-based environment

I operate cash registers and fitting rooms and help with general upkeep of the storefront throughout a shift. Managers are very kind and allow you to be independent. I enjoy the community and the store-regulars.

Pros

Discounted clothing

Cons

Fast-paced during holidays & sale days

2.8 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement