Value Village logo
Happiness score is 50 out of 100Below average

Value Village Employee Reviews for Retail Sales Associate

Work-life balance

Found 35 reviews matching the searchSee all 3,715 reviews

Productive and fun workplace but not very good with hours.

When I worked there it was a fun and productive job. I enjoyed it alot, aside from they did not listen to my needs. I was hired as part time (due to medical reasons I can't work more than that) they put me in for 8-9 hours a day 5-6 days a week. When I tried to talk about it they started scheduling me for more shifts/hours.

Pros

Great co-workers

Cons

Long hours and disregard for overworking staff.

Not safe and pay is bad

You move heavy materials from dirty bins and sort them out. This is a really rough job and all you do is stand up all day. Moving all the time - fast fast and fast. For minimum wages??? Look elsewhere!!!

Pros

Weekdays only

Cons

DUST Bed Bugs and miserable staff. Managers are rich, mean and do nothing.

Fast-Paced, intense training hours

I liked working there with the exception of the favouritism and the "feedback" binder. There are too many people running the show. You have different managers telling you to do 2 different things at the same time. Constructive criticism is important but when it seems you aren't recognized for the positive things you do as well... you often wonder if you can do anything right.

Fun place to work

It's like a little community. There is the production team in the back and the retail associates in the front. We all work collaboratively to put out new items and clean up the store. Management is good for the most part but they need to balance out schedules better because it's not consistent. They also hire too many people which leads to reduced hours.

Brutal

Awful. The working conditions are poor at best and the management was intolerant. The workload was intense and backbreaking, the pay was just a few cents above minimum wage at the time. The job was truly soul-sucking and not fit for more than a summer gig. One coworker got her five-year recognition while I was there... it was done at 7:30 AM in the overcrowded breakroom and she was given a free dinner at the Boathouse. Not worth it. The turnover rate was incredible except for the few people who couldn't get work elsewhere.

Customer and Donor services oriented.

Value Village is a great place to work. From Management down to Team members are all awesome and amazing! The safety of employees are their concern. I love Value Village so much! I miss working with them too...

Terrible

They stab you in the back and don’t train you . They don’t care . They pay terrible and have the worst managers ever. They are terrible period they suck.

Pros

Cons

There awful

Omg not a place to work

Very not understanding Racism On feet all day Dress code Need to be more fair Lack of pay Bad area Paid training Discounts Miss it but didn't treat me right or fair

Fun workplace

It was a joy to work at! I loved all the team members that worked there, they were so joyful, definitely the reason i was always so happy to go into work. Hardest part was definitely the sales days, it felt like you were in a nightmare.

Friendly staff and great workplace culture

Working at Value Village is fun and fast--paced. It's never boring, and you get to learn a lot of new skills. The management is friendly and accommodating, and I liked everyone I worked with. The only frustrating part of the job for me was the til because there was a little bit of pressure; the best part was definitely the satisfaction of helping the environment and community, and accepting donations. A typical day in the front of the store might include opening duties, accepting payment, creating savers club accounts, operations in the change room area or at the display case, maintaining the shelves and clothing racks, helping customers locate items around the store, and cleaning up.

Jobs at Value Village

Retail Sales Associate positions
See more jobs

It was a wonderful 2 years

It was my first real job I learned a lot, the team members and management were great. However, Halloween is the busiest time and you will have many hours which can be a good thing or be a thing. It is a very easy job and the hours aren't that bad if you are willing to do them.

Pay more than minimum wage

Management got changed recently and are now more careful in making decisions. They want to improve. Hours can be flexible which is good. Good place to work.

Boring, Stressful, Management Sucks

- poor management -stressful -poor cleanliness -managers wanted you to be afraid of them -everyone hated the environment and vocalized it - depressing place to work - got a back injury occurred at work, wasn't given exceptions due to it "not being a big deal".

Pros

cool younger coworkers

Cons

everything

Accepting Workplace Culture; Meaningful Work

Working in front of store is fun overall. There is so much to do every day that the time passes very quickly. The job is rarely boring because you get to do lots of different things -- but none are inevitable, so you don't just get to do what you like. You have to go where you're summoned. When you work at the til, you have to make a certain amount of people sign up, and I didn't really like the pressure of that, but everything else was actually pretty exciting. The management is really encouraging and open to questions. Teamwork is huge, so you can rely on anyone working there to have your back or answer your questions, even if you've never met them. It feels good to know that in a small way, you are helping the environment and a local charity, as well. Out of the dozens of people I worked with, almost everyone was friendly, upbeat, and encouraging. The added bonus is that you get to dress up all October for Halloween -- so that's fun.

Productive, energetic workplace with great co-workers

Management was always friendly, as well as other team members. The job was easy, the only true difficulty came with the sale days and subsequent increase of customers that came with them.

Really Bad

This company is extremely toxic towards its employees, and the management is just terrible. You are on your feet all day, and get paid barely above minimum wage. They schedule you in just below full time (if you are part time) so that they get the benefits and you don't. This place is a joke with how they preach about family, community and acceptance. Management and supervisors are very passive aggressive, and gossip about employees as if in high school. Extremely unprofessional. Save yourself the stress, low self-esteem and wasted time. Do not apply or work here.

Pros

Sometimes free lunches

Cons

Everything else

Run from this place

The only thing you meet here are a group of happy workers slaving for American capitalist. Bad management, unhealthy and unsafe work place, toxic low level managers, poor pay, deception by the management, ill-mannered receptionists at the head office. They select stooges and vulnerable immigrants to become managers so they can exploit them. It is suicidal to think of working here.

Pros

Happy immigrant workers

Cons

every other thing is BAD

Good minimum wage work and retail experience

When you join Value Village you either get put in production or front end team member, there are various positions available depending on where you would fit in ( Donations, Cashier, Fixing store, as well as production. ) Rate 9/10 just because the team is so friendly to each other and works well together.

Pros

Very friendly team and supervisors are well trained.

Cons

Hard Work occasionally, not very good raises ( 3% yearly ) almost amounts to about what inflation is.

good

i learned a lot about customer service also charity work also i helped a lot of people get what their looking for also i got good retail experience i love it

Productive and fun workplace

Most people at Value Village team are happy, helpful and friendly. Love working here. In busy days, the store can get messy very quick and its up to us to take care of it. Everyone helps each other and that's the most important.

Pros

Friendly supervisors and managers

Cons

Security issues (theft)

Relax workplace

Its usually a calm day, employees are happy. Theres some nice customers and some that are not so nice. At Halloween it was crazy but everyone got the job done

Pros

Pot lucks

Cons

Bad customers

2.9Job security/advancement