Value Village logo
Value Village

Value Village Employee Reviews for Retail Manager

Found 17 reviews matching the searchSee all 3,739 reviews

Fun, Creative, Stressful

Overall was a fun place to work. Loved being there for Halloween because you got to dress up in costumes basically the whole month. Lots of busy days and lots of downtime to. best part was how fast days went when busy. Loved sale days. Worst part is how many shoplifters come in daily.

Great team, terrible managers.

Worst micro-managing I've experienced in my career. Salary is so low for what you are expected to do. No one they are basically handing out management roles. If you could I would recommend staying away from the Great lakes district. The district manager is either distant, or constantly in your face. Quite evident she was handed the position out of lack therefore or candidates.

Pros

The team

Cons

Long hours, managers can make or break your experince. Low pay.

a lot of promises not kept

The team of people who work there are amazing, the manager is not. the company is not about it's people, but is now all about the corporate atmosphere.

Pros

team members

Cons

expectations from management

Store manager

Horrible store manager and district manager a lot of favertism on who get promoted , problem resolution does not exist . HR is only on the side of store manager and District Managers only.

Cons

Horrible store managers

Can be fun. Most of the team are great

Love that we can help so many people. When ever there is a crisis we are there to help. Great benefits and job security

Productive, Internal Growth

Very Busy Environment, Detail Training, Very Friendly Management, Busy Schedules. A lot of Fun to Work here. A lot of new things to learn. Helping the Community.

Great company ! Current Manger is archaic in management style and does not value his managemet team

I have worked for this company for six years and have now been transferred and at my new location for almost a year do to a lateral move withing the company . I have not enjoyed working for my current store manager . His management style of micro managing and old school technique of negative reinforcement creates a highly stressful atmosphere .

Pros

bonus opportunities

Cons

extreme micro managing

fast paced and productive workplace. Always room for opportunity.

In a typical day, there is always review with the SM, as to what is needed to be done for that day, along with upcoming deadlines. there is planning and focus needed to organize the day, around break coverage, or meetings scheduled. then the execution of the daily plans. Through the ISM, our weekly sales plan, there needs to be planning and thought put into it. Any product that is on sale, that is not placed in the proper setting throughout the store can negatively affect your sales goals. there is always opportunity for movement of product through the store. Being in the " Hard lines" part of the store, organization is a must. Signage must be checked or changed daily, for weekly sales, or daily deals. Motivating the team to stay focused and lending help when needed is always a must. the team we have in the store makes for a positive atmosphere. We always have fun, and try to keep it more of a family as a work place. we like everyone to feel comfortable coming to work.

Pros

more like a family

Cons

Store closing

Gone down the Drain

They really don't care about there team members. They say to use the open door policy, but normally they would side on the side of the management. That open door should say shut the door. They work you like slaves, and are quick to call out your flaws and does not recognize your sucesses. They are a cold company, in a sense where they know they want to fire you, use you to train the person thats going to take your position and then can you! Value Village is the WORST place you could work for!!!! I give them two thumbs, and 8 fingers DOWN as a company!

Sales floor is active and exciting

Most days start with doing all cash functions for previous days sales. This would be one of the first things learned in training. Continual and ongoing training for cashiers and supervisor on a hands on style every day. I had an awesome team who picked up on required programs with a minimum of difficulty. Store management focus tended to be on the production room and as a consequence we did not interact as much as I would have preferred. The most difficult part of this position was finding people who were interested in working for us. The most enjoyable part was seeing the results of training team members and the privilege of promoting from within.

Jobs at Value Village

Retail Manager positions
See more jobs

great team based company

deal with customers, communicate to the team about the day. We learn about new customers and different kinds of products that come in the store. We have a strong management team that works together. We have a great team we are more like a family that like to be their for each other. the hardest part of the job is having to let people go when they have to many cash issues. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to help out people that are less fortunate and down on their luck.

Pros

met great people thru out the 12 years on the job.

Cons

When other people don't help out with the team work like they should

Excellent place to work!

The staff at all of the stores I worked at were incredible. Everyone was very friendly and welcoming to new staff. The management was very supportive of me as I tried to move up the ranks to join the management team. The reviews I had were honest and fair. The hardest part of the job was the customer service aspect but it was also the most rewarding part of it.

Customer Service is a must in order to grow your sales and customer growth

I have learned so much from selling and working with a Non-Profit organization. It is not always easy due to the fact that I have worked in Retail for so long and selling used merchandised is very different. I have grown my Customer Growth by 62% sales were up and bonuses were achieved. Many targets for our monthly sales were up and that is with great planning and execution. I have also learned by SPH (Sales per hour ) to control the Team Member budget by ensuring we were not over spending and keeping our costs down by showing and leading how to be effective. Salesfloor maintenance is also part of a Retail Sales Manager how to display and maintain in order to give the best shopping experience to our "Guests".

Pros

Growing Sales and Growing Customer Base

Good team

It was a good place to work alot of challenges learning my new role within the company

Good learning experience of retails and thrift

Very fast pace environment Development plans Thrift and non-profit experience Community services

Pros

Learning

Cons

Slow Growth

More laid back customer oriented retail business

I managed the sales floor and was responsible for all associates from hiring through their departure if that was the case. Although my assistant managers were exceptional and always on board to try something new to improve business, I did not feel the same way about upper management. They sometimes made me feel that they were not necessarily interested in bettering the business and were not always open to change. The hardest part of the position was working in an atmosphere where my allergies were getting the best of me. Most of the items for sale were used and most had been cleaned before being donated. I am allergic to perfumes and some laundry softeners and I eventually ended having to leave the position because of this. Customer service was again the most enjoyable part of the job. As sales manager I could alter and change prices and would be able to assist some not so financially secure customers with prices that they could afford. Enjoyed knowing that I could help and give customers that special one on one service. Had many customers return and say that they enjoyed the shopping experience. I also enjoyed the fact that we were recycling not only here in Canada but had a system set up to take anything not sold here to some third world countries where these goods would be used to better other peoples lives.

Pros

Good wages, full benefits and an awesome crew to work with.

Cons

Did not feel that we received the support needed to fully take business to its fullest potential.

One of the best companies I've ever worked for.They are a growth company which is nice.

Pros

great comission and benfits package

2.9Job security/advancement