Value Village logo

2.9
Pay & benefits

Found 50 reviews matching the searchSee all 3,718 reviews

Friendly environment

Work load is hard for little payfriendly coworkers, like familylearned a lot about merchandisingmost enjoyable part is working with good peoplemanagement can use some work

Pros

quarterly bonuses

Cons

pay

High turnover, raises are minimal.

Worked there for over a year. Work was fast paced and difficult, management always expected more from us. Raises were yearly, up to 3% generally, but you rarely maxed out. When minimum wage would go up, you'd be back to making about the same as the new hires.

Pros

Discounts?

Cons

management was hard to satisfy.

Deceiving

Not as great as they pretend to be. Too much work and definitely not paid for it. They will try to take advantage of you if they know they can. Says one thing but does another, very secretive.

Pros

Benefits and weekends off

If you like to be treated and work like a slave then work here.

Blind leading the blind is their training method here when you work in this place. You have a laziest managers and supervisors that pretends to know everything. All they care about is you reaching your job quota and sales so they get their bonuses. Also, managers and supervisors pays favouritism when it comes to staff and who gets higher hourly pays.. Most employees who has been there for over two years still gets minimum wage. If you do get a little pay raise, manager will talk to you not to say anything to others. Also, management don't trust their employess and question them when they call in sick. Seriously, do work here and see what I'm talking about.

Pros

Free lunches sometimes and staff discount

Cons

Too many to list but basically they will treat you like a slave period unless they like you.

The worst company I have ever had the displeasure of working for

This is legitimately the worst company I have yet to work for. Management is extremely disrespectful and condescending to team members, they overwork and underpay workers for their expectations, they treat workers like machines rather than people, and despite having an open door policy they refuse to listen to anyone who isn't a member of management and always end up excusing them of any reports or complaints, where as team members would be fired on the spot without a second to defend themselves or explain the situation. Management tries to hold production members accountable for their own jobs, and insinuates wrongful terminations if you speak out about their tyranny and unrealistic expectations. If I could give this company negative stars I would've. This job does nothing but damage it's workers physical and mental health, they have alright benefits, but that's just about the only thing going for them, as even to utilize your discount or to even purchase any items they must be on the sales floor for 48 hours. They also refuse to listen to your work availability and force you to work shifts even if you've communicated your situations to them.

Pros

okay benefits, 50% discount on soft goods, 30% discount on housewares

Cons

disrespectful management, little pay, overworks, unfair treatment, unsafe work conditions and work environment

Joke

Probably one of the worst jobs I have ever had. My coworkers were alright at best, majority of the time I felt like I wasn't part of the team. Lots of drama, really poor management. One of my biggest issues is the lack of concern over hazards that can cause long term health problems. Not a single mention of any of the health issues that come with the job, lack of PPE in certain situations while working.

Pros

It's a job with benefits

Cons

Low wage, shotty management.

Absolutely the worst job I've ever had

If I could give less than one star for management and the actual job, I would. Just like the other comments management doesn't care about you as a person, they care about their numbers and money. For example: I had a drs note to take time (1week) off due to an illness; once the week was up I got a call and was advised that it would be smart to come back to work. Basically telling me that if I didnt come back that my job might not be safe... Also, If you ever work here be prepared to get written up for the stupidest things. I posted a post on my personal private Facebook account; 2 hrs after posting I get paged up to the office. Turns out a coworker showed my boss the post and I got written up for "talking ill about the company". My Facebook never stated where I worked, and I didn't tag the company. It was just an absolute stupid reason to get written up. The only thing I enjoyed about working here was my coworkers and working during October because that's the only time you get to have fun since we used to be able to dress up everyday. If you want to work here, I recommend asking to work in CDC or as a Cashier. Do not work in Production under any circumstances. THIS COMPANY IS THE ABSOLUTE WORST THAT I HAVE EVER WORKED FOR!!

Pros

Discount and coworkers.

Cons

Management, poor salary, poor working conditions

Fun workplace. Management needs work

production management won't praise you for a good job just writes you up for tiny mistakes. Has favorite employees who get away with anything. Belittles you if you're still learning. Production supervisors are the only saving grace

Pros

Supportive supervisors. And half price clothing

Cons

Great people, bad managment, very physical

I actually loved my job at Value Village. its very fast paced and physical, but you can learn alot and train in multiple departments. Managment could be better, head office is unrealistic when it comes to sales and quota, large work load, low pay for the job but great benefits. Discount is awesome, overall it is a good job but it is hard work for pretty low pay.

Bad place to work

Staff turn over is high, they fire people for being sick. They will never pay overtime and raises are non existent. The staff is great but management sucks.

Jobs at Value Village

Production Worker positions
See more jobs

work was very stressful,managment was horrible

If you value your sanity dont do it,i worked at the Vernon store for a long time the manager sucks the life right out of you.is so nice at first and then switches to being a tyrant..makes things up to write you up and makes you sign things you didnt do.just so they dont have to give you a raise .He bullies and harasses people all the time.Supervisors gossip all the time about team members.They favor some people and others they are so mean to.They say they have an open door policy for team members that need help thats a joke also value village management only looks out for managment ,not team members.This is my opinion of value village.ITS TOXIC work place..

Pros

monday to friday

Cons

Managment

Fast pace team oriented

Fast paced team oriented. Benefits minimum wage pay and often will have hours cut. Very hard to move up in the company as it’s so fast pace it seems people’s abilities are often over looked

Fast paced, physical

This is a fun, fast paced place. The people you work with make it a great atmosphere. They have good benefits and there is room to move up in the company.

Loading bay crew is the best. Management not good.

Its a place that is fast paced and hard working. Management doesn't know what their doing half the time and the only thing good I can say about the job is loading bay crew and the area of the loading bay is the best part and working area of the company. Your not respected much by management and they expect so much that the working salary is not worth the position at the job.

Just don’t waste your time

dont Even bother to waste your time. The only thing value village taught me in a year was how to be treated despicably for barely any pay. Worked for over a year and only received 19 cent raise. Unsafe working conditions, never received proper eye wear and was forced to throw away dangerous and sharp objects. People get hurt here ALOT.

Friendly management

Supportive management always putting their workers first, good benefits, fun monthly events to boost moral, awards received from management every month to recognise great work efforts, supportive coworkers, overall friendly environment.

terrible company

overworked underpaid underappreciated underrespected. suspected of being a criminal. not trusted. made to work sick or written up. dont really care about their employees. minimum wage = you are worth the least possible money to them. plus they get their stuff for free and dont pass it on to their employees and mislead about being a charity when they actually give bare minimum to them as well

Pros

co-workers

Cons

too many to list. do not work here

Poor management

The store manager is rude and disrespectful to employees. Supervisors talk down to you in front of customers. Forced to overprice items that aren’t worth the value. Not enough safety when you ask for help, supervisors are unreliable and lazy. Vacation requests are usually declined because only one person in the whole store can vacation at a time.

Pros

50% discount, start salary is slightly more then min wage.

Cons

Very poor management, gossip, dirty atmosphere, disrespectful supervisors and management

High stress for minimal pay.

Employers are encouraged to rate workers as low as possible on reviews to lower raise amounts. Despite it's immense success and massive profit margins, company only pays minimum wage while expecting unreasonable amounts of work, even with absent employees or low attendance.

great company

I am a production worker. i put price tags on clothing. then i sort it my size etc, then roll the rack to the floor and put clothing out. the benefits are amazing.

benefits

Cons

nil

alot of work

they always short staffed and impossible to get people to stay due to such a heavy work load and only paying minimum wage, alot expected from the workers,

Pros

production hours are awesome

Cons

hard work

2.9Job security/advancement